Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #1576
DISNEY1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
I wish they would just do away with the dining plan.I personally think it is expensive when you add in the 18 to 20% tip.I wish they would just bring back the old way and offer discounts in other ways.
I went many many times without the dining plan and only ate 1 meal per day in the parks/resorts..if that. I always rent a car and often ventured off property for dinner. I now do the deluxe plan and never use all the credits, but having it paid for before I leave is fantastic. I think the dining plan is a great idea and Disney is smart because they keep me on property all week. I would be more hesitant to eat on property if I was looking at prices.

Polynesian - 1975 / Contemporary - 1977 / Grosvenor - 1978 / Vistana - 1980 / Polynesian - 1982 / Hilton WDW - 1984 / Buena Vista Palace - 1985 / Contemporary - 1987 / Intl Dr - 1989 / Yacht Club - 1991 / Polynesian - 1993 / Boardwalk - 1995 / Wilderness Lodge - 1998 / Carribean - 1999 / Intl Dr - 2001 / Yacht Club - 2003 / Boardwalk - 2005 / Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006 / Contemporary - 2008 / Polynesian - 2010 / Port Orleans FQ - 2011
Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #1577
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKraft View Post
I don't think they would be as good as a Dole Whip or a Carrot Cake Cookie.

Free dining certainly wouldn't be worth it for a small family or couples.
first, and most importantly... where do you get a carrot cake cookie?!?

second, we do the free dining, just the 2 of us, cause it's about the only way we get to eat these nice meals,and I don't have to say "honey, can I get the (fill in the blank), it's only $2 more?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
Unless we find the DDP to be better than expected, I doubt we'd ever pay for it.
see, now Disney sucked us in. we never would have PAID for the DDp. had we not gotten it "free" first. they knew what they were doinghowever, here's how we do it when we pay for it (kinda long):
we do a split stay. pay for the dining plan with the package at the first resort (with enough park tickets for the whole trip). then do a "room-only ressie" for the 2nd part (often with a room only code, or at least AAA discount). now, here's the tricky part. we S t r e t c h the dining plan. we use snack credits to buy things we can eat at the 2nd resort. (POP USED to have whole bags of chips and whole boxes of donuts as a snack credit. anyway,. we get stuff like that)
the credits are good until midnight the day of checkout. so, we have a nice sit down dinner at the new resort on transfer day.(orDTD, wherever, another resort, we don't do a park on transfer day).
since the DDP is a lot of food for us, we also buy a CS meal.. TO GO.. at the new resort... put it in the fridge. our first full day at the new resort, that is our dinner. we bring it down to the food court to nuke (they have microwaves.)
see? 2 meals at our "room only" resort are taken care of, plus we have some snacks to munch on.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKraft View Post
. The more important question is can you handle sharing a room with your inlaws?

Quote:
Yeah, can only get one discount at a time unfortunately. With the room discounts, it was 25%, 30%, and 40%. Even at 40% off, we would never stay at a deluxe so the free DDP was a better savings for us than the 25%-30% room discounts.
in dec. we are using a 40% off pin code for a few days, then doing the free dining. unfortunately, it didn't work out to do the dining first (black out dates) so no stretching this time. but the first 4 nights,(3 days) with the 40% off, we might do a water park, and we'll go around to see the decor at the other resorts, we will have received our mini golf voucher and Planet Hollywood voucher in the mail (yes, they let you use them early), and we will relax and enjoy the resort. then free dining starts. (staying at POP the whole time (we upgraded to the regular plan), and they say there is a good chance we can keep the same room. if not, oh well.
Quote:
I hope this thread is still going when I get back from my trip on 09/17-09/26. I would like to chime in and share if I actually see or experience sub-par services etc. Hmmmm.....
me too! come back and tell us your thoughts, please. no one be nasty.. so it's still here, please?
have lots of fun!!!!!

Last edited by smidgy; 09-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1578
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
All sounds good to me.The only thnig on your list we probaably will vary from is the food.We are more of diner food people.No 4 or 5 star restaurants for us.The rest sounds great though thanks again! Flicx
I understand, DH is not a "foodie" either.

One coment my DVC friend said to me about DL years ago and I have to agree.....the food choices seem to be better at DL (although there have been cutbacks there as well). It's just too easy to walk out and grab a bite closeby. Perhaps they stepped up at DL to keep guests and their precious $$$ in the parks and DTD.

I'm so happy for you....you will have a great time. There is just enough different in Disneyland.....to make it feel undiscovered to the WDW veteran.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #1579
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY1975 View Post
I went many many times without the dining plan and only ate 1 meal per day in the parks/resorts..if that. I always rent a car and often ventured off property for dinner. I now do the deluxe plan and never use all the credits, but having it paid for before I leave is fantastic. I think the dining plan is a great idea and Disney is smart because they keep me on property all week. I would be more hesitant to eat on property if I was looking at prices.
we like it and we don't. (boy are we wishy washy, or what?)
we usually drive, but when we do free dining, we try to fly, it's a long drive from 40 miles NW of chicago. when we have the dining, we don't have to bring all the stuff we usually do.

what do we bring? well, we usually eat pretty cheaply. I have a cooler wtih baloney and salami, mac salad, cottage cheese. we bring chips, bread, coffee cake, cans of tuna, string cheese, you name it! we easily split a funnel cake at sleepy hollow for breakfast. you get 2 tacos at El Pirato (whatever).. if it's ever open, so we split that.
we USED to easily split that long hot dog at Casey's corner, until.. surprise!!! it shrunk!

another point I thought of last night. the Free Dining and Room only Discoutns didn't seem to bring everything else downhill before (as some have mentioned, disney has to make up these discounts somewhere) UNTIL.. they advertised them!!!
remember when these discounts were available to everyone, but you had to KNOW about them? us dissers knew, or anyone else "savy" to Disney ways, but most people didn't. you couldn't even book it without knowing the "code"!
hubby and I noticed things starting to go downhill when you started to see TV commercials advertising these things, and newspaper ads.
we liked if better when you had to do a "little homework" to find out about these discounts!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #1580
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut23 View Post
I understand, DH is not a "foodie" either.

One coment my DVC friend said to me about DL years ago and I have to agree.....the food choices seem to be better at DL (although there have been cutbacks there as well). It's just too easy to walk out and grab a bite closeby. Perhaps they stepped up at DL to keep guests and their precious $$$ in the parks and DTD.

I'm so happy for you....you will have a great time. There is just enough different in Disneyland.....to make it feel undiscovered to the WDW veteran.
Yes it sounds like a fun trip.Now comes the hard part though saving up for the day we go!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #1581
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylove1228 View Post
I'm so glad someone gave me this link.

I just posted something on the boards about our past visit, yesterday actually.

I think Disney has definitely gone DOWN... DECLINED.. whatever the heck you want to call it.

I hate it!! I don't want it to go that way.

What happened to being happy to be there? What happened to decent CS food? (We got a see-through bun .... no joke)

No detail is really being paid attention to... not that I can see. I saw weeds, paint chipped... dust on everything....

I got yelled at in my car by the CM when I was parking b/c it was my understanding if you were staying on property that you could park for free... wow. Can you say embarrassing?

I understand quality comes at a price, and thats cool... but when things are declining .. and prices are raising... I wanna know where that money is going.
You can park for free if you are staying onsite. I don't get it.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #1582
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

NVM -- this thread is just not worth the effort to read it.

Last edited by larryz; 09-08-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: headache.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #1583
AKraft
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
first, and most importantly... where do you get a carrot cake cookie?!?

second, we do the free dining, just the 2 of us, cause it's about the only way we get to eat these nice meals,and I don't have to say "honey, can I get the (fill in the blank), it's only $2 more?"
If you like carrot cake then a Carrot Cake Cookie is only the most delicious cookie you could think of. Imagine, if you will, creamcheese icing sandwiched between 2 huge, moist carrot cake cookies. I only recently found out about this treasure myself and it can only be found in the Writer's Workshop next to the Sci-Fi Dine-In @ Hollywood Studios. I got 2 of these on my way out of the park, but didn't get to eat them until the next morning (They're not just for dessert). Had I tasted how awesome they were before leaving, I would have used half my snack credits on them - the other half would still need to go to the Dole Whip.

I do see your point about the DDP. I'm the kind of person that likes to have as much planned ahead of time as possible. The DDP allows you to have your meal budget set aside. You know exactly what you're getting and you don't feel guilty about ordering something more expensive or that snack you might not have gotten because of the extra cost. To each there own.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #1584
smidgy
dimples

I know the Writer's stop!!! you just decided one of my snack credits!!! yummy
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #1585
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
NVM -- this thread is just not worth the effort to read it.
oh come on larry!!! you always add a lot to a discussion!

it got a little dicey for a while, but now it's real friendly!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #1586
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I know the Writer's stop!!! you just decided one of my snack credits!!! yummy
I always stop at the Writer's Stop for tea and that yummy sounding treat would be perfect too I think.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #1587
smidgy
dimples

another tea drinker!!!!

I always tell hubby "tea drinkers are discriminated against"
he says "as well they should be".
out to breakfast: he gets: "more coffee, sir?" I MIGHT get more water for my old tea bag!
hotels on the way down: coffee, no tea. gas stations: coffee, no tea. church meetings; coffee, no tea. school meetings: coffee, no tea. socer meetings: coffee, no tea. bars: coffee, no tea.

but.. I digress....
Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #1588
rugman1969
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Things change because the market will bear it. Disney has always been out to make a buck. They're a business - the first goal is to turn a profit. I don't understand why people are so surprised when they figure that out.
Disney has not always been out to make a buck. If you remember, Walt, of course, wanted to make money, but he did it for the sheer pleasure he got out of making people happy. I think Walt's way of thinking has diminished to the point that it is remembered, but not practiced. It wasn't always JUST about the money.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #1589
rugman1969
Mouseketeer

I, too, have noticed a decline at WDW. In WDW's defense, there is not another theme park in the US who can compare to them. I started going in 79, and in 79 there was Magic Mountain, Main Street, Polynesian, Contemporary Resort, River Country, Disney Village, Golf Resort, monorails, and golf courses. Everything was based on customer service, cleanliness, and making the trip MAGICAL! Also, in 79, people respected police, were more polite, and handled things with class. Now, there are 4 parks, 2 water parks, monorails, bus service, and too many to list resorts. So much more going on than back then, and the attitude people are brought up with nowadays, just adds to less magic overall. The food and shows were one of a kind, the parks were ahead of their time, and the masses of people were much less. I can understand how WDW is sliding downhill, but that can be prevented. I understand they need to make money, but they also need to keep guests happy to keep them coming back. I have also started seeing decline in maintenance, trash, dirty rooms, employees coming and going to and from work, and a lack of food quality and choices. Maybe they just expanded too much too fast. They obviously haven't kept up with their own additions. It was about 2000 when I started noticing the downward slope of the things going on at WDW. Maybe they just need to step back, take a breath, and remember what it's all about. Hardcore WDW'ers love it when new attractions are added, but myself personally, I wouldn't mind if every original attraction was still there. They could have never added anything else, and I would be fine with that. I would continue to go. Many would not, but then, many new guests would continue to come. I hoestly wish WDW would be just as it was in 1979, with the exception of Epcot, because I looovvvveee Epcot, and I would still be going. But WDW does need to do sonething about the slide. They need to start taking a stand against the rowdies and careless, and stop worrying who's feeling they are going to hurt. It needs to change before it's too late. They need to stop growing for a while, and grab control of the reins agains and start making the magic happen before the people who made them(the loyals) people stop coming. Walt started this park because yes, he did want to make money, but he wanted to bring people something different, special, MAGICAL. He did just that back in the 70's. If he saw the way things were going now, he would turn in his grave. I don't think this is what he had in mind. I think he, also, would be disgusted. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone everything addition WDW has made, just that they do not keep up with the core values the park was built on. Mediocre customer service overall, boring and repetitive food, and unkept parks are becoming the norm at WDW. Maybe it's time to start going to Disneyland more. I will always love WDW, but I will always miss what I had on my first visit.

Last edited by rugman1969; 09-09-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #1590
cjb71870
DIS Veteran

"I also have not read the 100+ pages of this threat, but I have read some of the posts and do tend to agree that some things have declined over the years. We just got back from Disney last week and it's funny that the previous post mentions burnt out lightbulbs because my son noted the ones that were out at the Grand Floridian and as we took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom, I noticed that there were numerous one out over there too. Now that seems like a small thing, but not something I expected of Disney. Six Flags - Yes, but Disney - No." AKraft..... This made me smile and laugh for knowing exactly what I said on my weekend last week taking my nephew for his BDay, being a regular since 1989, I also noticed and pointed out to my Mom, Grandma, how many lights were out everywhere we went!!!!!!!!! This is what made me laugh when I read the same complaint about lights everywhere on Disney property!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: