Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #1546
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Boma and Ohana buffett
$25.99

Double Stroller
$18.99

Turkey Leg
$4.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $15.99

One Day Ticket

$65.00 BEFORE TAX

Boma and Ohana buffett
$34.99 PLUS SURCHARGES most of the year!

Double Stroller
$31.99

Turkey Leg
$7.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $19.99

One Day Ticket

$82.00 BEFORE TAX
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #1547
Suellen
DIS Veteran

You really can't just compare inflation along with older date prices. There are so many other things to take into consideration.

Supply and demand must be considered as well as a consumers perceived value.

Inflation is NOT the only factor it just happens to be the factor most people are familiar with.

According to inflation ONLY my milk should have cost me 1.63 today compared to 1971. As we all know the number of Dairy Farmers (or farmers in general really) driving down the supply and thus up the demand.

The cost of laborers on the farm has gone up along with the cost of feed, equipment etc there by compounding inflation.

We as Americans are not looking for the 3% raise every year ~ correct? That is like an employer saying that even though you now have 10 years of experience working for me you are still only worth exactly what you worth to me 10 years ago assuming only cost of living raises. No one wants that. We all want to be better off than we were last year not the same.

Just some food for thought. I haven't sat down and done the economic graphing of prices or anything.
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #1548
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I just wish that my employer gave raises much less kept up with inflation. It's been more about layoffs and furloughs in my case. This has gone on while prices all across the board have for the most part skyrocketed.

True that Disney is just one factor but I have to pay my mortgage and utilities and so on before Disney gets any money. Those things take more which leaves me less left over while Disney steadily wants more. This is my reality and I doubt that I'm the only one.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #1549
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post

Boma and Ohana buffett
$25.99

Double Stroller
$18.99

Turkey Leg
$4.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $15.99

One Day Ticket

$65.00 BEFORE TAX

Boma and Ohana buffett
$34.99 PLUS SURCHARGES most of the year! (inflation only adjustment s/b ~ 29.55 this I think has a lot to do with demand and free dining deals and such.)

Double Stroller
$31.99 (this I attribute to outside vendors, perhaps the cost of replacing strollers the higher demand for strollers because older kids are in them.... it is high but I sincerely think that there are other contributing factors)

Turkey Leg
$7.99 (this is higher than inflation only adjustment s/b ~ 5.66)

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $19.99 (this is close to on par with inflation only adjustment)

One Day Ticket

$82.00 BEFORE TAX (inflation only adjustment would be at 73.36 not too terribly off)
Assuming you did all this stuff in one day at WDW:

In 2010 would be 177.96
In 2005 would be 130.96

Adjusting for inflation only it should be about 148.61

Again this is really thrown off by the double stroller ~ it'd be interesting to know when the outside companies started renting the double strollers.

But really over all I don't think it is that bad.... especially if with room discounts you are saving some over what you would have paid in 2005.

It be an interesting case study to do for my Economics research paper.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #1550
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I just wish that my employer gave raises much less kept up with inflation. It's been more about layoffs and furloughs in my case. This has gone on while prices all across the board have for the most part skyrocketed.

True that Disney is just one factor but I have to pay my mortgage and utilities and so on before Disney gets any money. Those things take more which leaves me less left over while Disney steadily wants more. This is my reality and I doubt that I'm the only one.
how true! many people are taking pay CUTS and cuts in benefits, just to keep their job.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #1551
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
how true! many people are taking pay CUTS and cuts in benefits, just to keep their job.
We've been lucky and really only taken benefit hits. But I do know we are lucky and that is not the norm right now.

I'm lucky I should say that my DH is so in demand.... if it weren't for him I would be penniless and homeless probably.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #1552
smidgy
dimples

In a way, I compare the price increases at Disney to the increases to take your kids to see a pro. baseball game.
most families can't afford it anymore.

some prices for "family entertainment" have increased MUCH higher than the average families' pay increases. and it's a Gol' darn shame.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #1553
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Our local amusement park is absurd. So we don't go. Sure we could... but I refuse to spend the money for what it is. It used to be free to go in and walk around and you could buy a bracelet for people who wanted to ride ~ it was 10.00 for a bracelet and now it is 35.00 mandatory bracelet to even get in the door.

We used to go play some games, grab a slice of pizza, watch the log flume. Not anymore. So we go to another venue to do the same thing for free.

The first time they tried to charge me to go in and I said "What?! Are you serious?" they said "you pay to park at Disney." Yeah, um, you are not even close!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #1554
smidgy
dimples

see, now at 6 flags in Illinois, they CUT the prices. also, at Indiana beach (woosy park that it is).
Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #1555
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
Disney is definitely living in Fantasyland. They are constantly raising prices... on everything. Real estate is in the toliet, but they're pumping up the price on DVC.

Too many of the increases are beyond ridiculous. While, I can afford them, I can't justify it. Quality is down and prices are up. So, we spend less in WDW.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #1556
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
Thanks donut thats a great review.We said we were gonna go once and we are gonna treat it like a once in a lifetime trip.Thats why the question about the californian.You should consider giving reviews for the company.I'm sold! Flicx

Awwwww shucks! Thanks!

Few more tidbits.....

Grand Californian is Californian Craftsmen style. Like the Wildie, there is guest access at most levels overlooking the beautiful lobby. If you have some time, checkout the photo ops from multiple levels. You will find the variety of lamps beautiful...I had a full page in a travel scrapbook dedicated to the lamps at the Cali.

Take a look in the corners near each elevator lobby level. You will find artistic representations of birds which live .... at that level......eagles on the top floor for example.

One MUST DO when you arrive. You will go through the entrance....turn and look back. They are actually beautiful glass doors - beautiful californian scene in the afternoon sunlight.

Next look down.....the floor changes from stone to carpet....but the pattern follows seemlessly. Wait till you see the FIREPLACE....they have storybook readings INSIDE the fireplace in the evenngs for the children. You will understand when you see it. Piano in the lobby like the Grand Floridian and at the holidays the tree is spectacular!

We were there last December. I had just had surgery and was traveling on my decorated scooter with some pretty fantabulous pain pills (yes, all the photos of me had BIG smiles!......frightening thought.....when I take those types of drugs....I become....CHATTY - YIKES). We decided to wander down to the pool for a little break in the sun. THEY HAVE CUSHIONS ON THOSE POOL CHAIRS THAT MAKE YOU......want to slap your mama! Like 6 inches thick ...AND they will bring cocktails right to your pool lounge. (ok, didn't want to sound like the Clampits here). Needless to say, I didn't need a cocktail but DH took advantage of the Budweiser express!!

BIG BIG BIG advantage of staying at the Grand Cali? Direct access to California Adventure....and I mean direct. They have a private entrance. Now that they have added a 30 minute EMH in the mornings, that means you can get in line for WOC fastpasses.....before the non-disney resort guests.

Through the private entrance you are about 300 yards from Sorin...where we began each day.

Oh yes....WOC? I thought you would never ask. World of Color is Fantasmic on steroids....but better. It started a few months ago and is a tremendous hit. Stop reading right now and go to You Tube and watch the show.....about 25 minutes and standing room only every night (why the early grab of fastpasses is such a great deal).

At the Grand Cali you are just about as close as you can get to Disneyland...you actually walk out into DTD. About 7 minutes (including security) and you are standing on Main Street.

If this is a once in a lifetime, please consider Napa Rose. 5 star dining at the Grand Cali. The view from the dining room is beautiful, the entire restaurant is just lovely and food wonderful....even after some cutbacks.

Consider lunch or dinner at Blue Bayou. It's located in New Orleans Square but once you are seated, you realize you are actually sitting outisde (Disney outside) overlooking the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean.....there are even fireflys.

We stayed 6 nights last time.....with our DVC friends in a 2 bedroom villa overlooking the "da-- bear ride" (Like Kali River Rapids.....good thing, when you get soaked, you are 5 minutes from your room!)

6 nights is MORE than enough time for most people....but we toured the resort, DTD.....and I cannot do as much in a day in a scooter. 6 days is probably too much....but we loved every minute.

If you go in November or December.....they change two rides. Haunted Mansion is converted to a Nightmare Before Christmas theme and Small World turns into Small World Christmas.......two fun changes.

I hope you fall in love with it as we have.

There is a section here on the DIS for DisneyLAND guests......if you have any questions (airport transfers, up to date dining ideas, etc.) ask over there. The guests are very helpful.

I am sooooo excited for you!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #1557
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Our local amusement park is absurd. So we don't go. Sure we could... but I refuse to spend the money for what it is. It used to be free to go in and walk around and you could buy a bracelet for people who wanted to ride ~ it was 10.00 for a bracelet and now it is 35.00 mandatory bracelet to even get in the door.

We used to go play some games, grab a slice of pizza, watch the log flume. Not anymore. So we go to another venue to do the same thing for free.

The first time they tried to charge me to go in and I said "What?! Are you serious?" they said "you pay to park at Disney." Yeah, um, you are not even close!
Okay, are you from Maine? You are describing Funtown USA to a T. And I feel the exact same way about that park. I haven't stepped foot in that "amusement" park in 15+ years. Place is a ....... And I heard the same thing to. But you'll pay X for Disney? Really? You don't even compare to Dinoland in AK....
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #1558
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Yes actually we probably live less than 5 miles apart! I live in Biddeford! We have taken DD's to Funtown ONCE ever - it is insanely expensive IMHO! We just go to palace playland instead and the girls ride a couple beach rides then we get pier fries and pizza all for less than one admission to Funtown.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #1559
dsnygal1
Earning My Ears

Yes I agree that customer service is going to a disappointing level at disney. The staff act like its just a job,seem bored and will not go out of their way to help you. For example, when checking at Wilderness Lodge in April we asked for our dining reservations to be printed out, the lovely clerk said we would have to go to the other line to have them printed. Which is funny since there was no line when we were checking-in and past visits they would be willing to do this. Also I see time and time again the college-aged kids have no personality act rude to guests and go out of there way to avoid a smile. Really? I would have loved to have had the chance to be part of the disney college program!
It just seems no effort anymore.

:

~DSNYGAL1~
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #1560
Disneylove1228
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad someone gave me this link.

I just posted something on the boards about our past visit, yesterday actually.

I think Disney has definitely gone DOWN... DECLINED.. whatever the heck you want to call it.

I hate it!! I don't want it to go that way.

What happened to being happy to be there? What happened to decent CS food? (We got a see-through bun .... no joke)

No detail is really being paid attention to... not that I can see. I saw weeds, paint chipped... dust on everything....

I got yelled at in my car by the CM when I was parking b/c it was my understanding if you were staying on property that you could park for free... wow. Can you say embarrassing?

I understand quality comes at a price, and thats cool... but when things are declining .. and prices are raising... I wanna know where that money is going.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: