Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #1516
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I haven't actually been. I have a friend who much prefers Disneyland to the World.

I don't think *gasp* she is a member here though.
Kinda striking out on this one.We wanna go where it all started one day! So we can compare.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #1517
Suellen
DIS Veteran

We plan to stop at DisneyLand on our way to Hawaii next year. As a couple day kind of thing as I have heard it is quite small and doesn't take too long to do it all.
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #1518
flicx

Quote:
We plan to stop at DisneyLand on our way to Hawaii next year. As a couple day kind of thing as I have heard it is quite small and doesn't take too long to do it all.
Have to give me a heads up on both.We wish to go to hawaii some day to!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #1519
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
We're stopping in on our way back from HI. I too just want to see where it started. Just for three days.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #1520
flicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
We're stopping in on our way back from HI. I too just want to see where it started. Just for three days.
Let us know your opinion!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #1521
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We want to do the same thing! We've already been to Hawaii, but want to take the kids - DVC Aulani! So, we also thought we would go to DisneyLand for a few days before, as we've never been. It will break up the extremely long flight we have to Hawaii. A stop at DisneyLand is a great idea!

Hope you have a great trip! Tiger
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #1522
DaniTaylor
Mouseketeer

Things have changed at Disney sure, things change everywhere. I miss back in the late 80s early 90s when you could get a terriyaki burger and waffle fries in Magic Kingdom. I miss Minnie Mia's Pizzaria at Downtown Disney and I miss the old favorites like Universe of Motion, Horizon and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride but as a local I am in the parks as often as possible and I still enjoy so many things and I do not feel that Disney is headed "downhill"

We eat on property regularly in the last 2 weeks I've been to DHS, Epcot and Magic Kingdom ate at counter service places at each of those parks and truly enjoyed what I had. I also chose - even though I only live ten minutes away from Disney - to spend a weekend at POR to celebrate my birthday. Me and my husband had a fabulous time. We ate delicious meals and spend all of our time at the resort where the CM's were friendly and chatty and our room was clean and wonderful. This is not a choice I would make if I felt the quality was bad.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #1523
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
I haven't actually been. I have a friend who much prefers Disneyland to the World.

I don't think *gasp* she is a member here though.
Should I admit this? I found that I liked Disneyland better than any single park at WDW and I enjoyed California more than Florida. Overall WDW is nicer though and I understand that my other fave Universal is much nicer in Florida too.

Check it out sometime!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #1524
smidgy
dimples

after 17 trips to WDW, I SO want to try disney land!!!! something different.(my grown kids would laugh; they keep telling us to go somewhere different.)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #1525
MFLetou
Mouseketeer

I started reading this thread and several of the responses were along the lines of, people are still coming! Its fine!

Fast forward to now, when the discussion is about how empty the parks are. I'm going at the end of this week so I certainly hope that is the case, and this is traditionally a slow time of year, but...to respond to those posts at the beginning of the thread, no, clearly some people AREN'T still coming.

The economy has a lot to do with that. But for some time now, the Theme Park division of Disney Co. has been unhealthy and the numbers are getting worse. Theme park attendance has been consistently down. I do think the downward trend in quality and value at Disney Parks and Resorts has a hand in that.

What troubles me are two things--one of them costs money, the other doesn't. The first is basic maintenance. My last trip last year, we witnessed multiple incidents of just basic things not working--we had more rides go down in that one trip than in 5 previous trips combined. We had several buses break down. Several monorails get stuck. And so on. Here and there, its bad luck. That many instances is a trend--clearly Disney is cutting costs and not putting enough money into keep these things running.

The other troubling trend is an ever-increasing number of cast members that don't seem to get it or have bad attitudes. It used to be rare to encounter one that wasn't extraordinary, now, for the most part they are average with standouts on both ends--and way too many standouts on the negative end. This will be our first stay in a deluxe resort in many years so I am curious to see if we notice an improvement--I hope so. Of course, back to that vicious cycle--this year we can actually afford to stay in a deluxe because pricing is so aggressive!

But yes, things have gone downhill. I really hope I see some improvements this trip.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #1526
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Boma

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
YOU DIDN"T LIKE BOMA? LOL! I guess it may be too spicy or cinnamon'y for some people.

Ohana is good so is Prime Time Cafe.
I liked a lot of the food @ Boma, but my DW has Colitis so she has to kind of be weary of what she eats and she is a little picky. This is why we do mostly buffets for the variety. She is not a big fan of "different" food. Also, to me at least, Boma was okay but not worth the price tag.
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #1527
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Sept

Quote:
We love this time of year!! No waits!! Woot - woot! Can't wait to go! Sept rocks!
We have gone to WDW mostly in May. Crowds at that time, IMO, are medium to light. The big attractions, IE Soarin etc are busy, but everything else is 20 mins or less. We've walked on BTR 6 times in a row before, Buzz had 5 mins, Test Track had 5-10mins etc.

We also went once in Dec. Crowds were pretty light then. Again, Soarin etc were bust but everything else was 5-10 mins.

We did have a trip for May but had to cancel. So we rescheduled for Sept w/ free dining. We hear that the crowds are the lowest at this time, but it can be hot/humid/rainy. Oh well, we can deal with the heat etc for low crowds. I hope that everyone is right.
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1528
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Downhill

And on the topic at hand.

Disney going dowhill is still very subject IMO. I read a lot about Disney cutting costs etc., they're not giving what they used to etc. WDW is going downhill etc. IMO the things that WDW have cut are minimal and most you cannot notice unless you are really looking for it. Even with the "cuts", WDW still provides an amazing experience and an experience that is better than most other "theme" parks and vacation spots.

"We" as WDW guests want too much and contradict ourselves. "We" want heavy discounts, free DDP, free this, and free that. "We don't want to pay "rack" rates. BUT then "we" complain that WDW took away this or that, or removed certain things from the menu etc. Where do people expect the $$$ to come from to suppliment all the discounts etc? You can't have both.

Oh, and don't get me going on the WDW needs new attractions and things need to be updated followed by the OMG, why is this closed during my vacation, why is this being renovated during MY vacation etc. UGH!!

In this bad economy, WDW has had discounts and extended discounts, pretty much all year for the past few years to keep attendence up. Of course, other things may suffer or need to be cut to balance it out. I can't wait to see what happens when WDW can finally scale back the discounts that guests have become used to. That should create some backlash too, actually I can see the thread on these forums about that subject hitting thousands of posts overnight.

Again, never experinced a truly rude CM, so I cannot comment. CM's, IMO, have always provided a great experience for my DW and I.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #1529
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
And on the topic at hand.

Disney going dowhill is still very subject IMO. I read a lot about Disney cutting costs etc., they're not giving what they used to etc. WDW is going downhill etc. IMO the things that WDW have cut are minimal and most you cannot notice unless you are really looking for it. Even with the "cuts", WDW still provides an amazing experience and an experience that is better than most other "theme" parks and vacation spots.

"We" as WDW guests want too much and contradict ourselves. "We" want heavy discounts, free DDP, free this, and free that. "We don't want to pay "rack" rates. BUT then "we" complain that WDW took away this or that, or removed certain things from the menu etc. Where do people expect the $$$ to come from to suppliment all the discounts etc? You can't have both.

Oh, and don't get me going on the WDW needs new attractions and things need to be updated followed by the OMG, why is this closed during my vacation, why is this being renovated during MY vacation etc. UGH!!

In this bad economy, WDW has had discounts and extended discounts, pretty much all year for the past few years to keep attendence up. Of course, other things may suffer or need to be cut to balance it out. I can't wait to see what happens when WDW can finally scale back the discounts that guests have become used to. That should create some backlash too, actually I can see the thread on these forums about that subject hitting thousands of posts overnight.

Again, never experinced a truly rude CM, so I cannot comment. CM's, IMO, have always provided a great experience for my DW and I.
You're right. Guests demand discounts, and in the next breath they complain that Disney isn't what it used to be. Of course it isn't! "Disney" and "discount" were never in the same sentence in those glory days. You paid premium prices for the rooms, the food and the tickets. If you couldn't afford it, you didn't go and oddly enough...people still went. Summers were still crowded, holidays were still busy. People now want more and more "magic" but they want to pay less for it. It's just common sense that you can't have it both ways.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #1530
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
It's just common sense that you can't have it both ways.

BUT, the cost of a WDW vacation has risen much faster than inflation, me thinks, even with discounts. JMO.........
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: