Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #106
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarfoxinWA View Post
Oh she just drove him crazy! She didn't like to be "cowboy'd" you had to ride her with a little finesse... when he would take her to parades she would do the most lovely piaffe the entire time. Drove him nuts! She never would just settle down and walk with the rest of the group.

She certainly had an "Appy" personality... one of my old riding instructor's used to say that the Appaloosa was why the indians lost the war
My Appy has the best personality ever!! He's as sweet as pie and will do anything and everything you ask him to do.

Here are a few old pics of Skippy.

Here he is at a show in NC. He really was never trained English, but we took him to the show anyway so DD took him in a few classes. It was FREEZING THAT DAY! Don't mind the bad roach job on his mane, but he kept sticking his head threw the fence and tore it all out so I cut it off.

Here he was at another fun show in NC. (yep, bad mane from ripping it out in the fence)

Here is DD taking him over a jump in North Dakota a few years ago.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #107
MichelleVW

oh wait...I think this is one of my most favorite pics of Skippy...

Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #108
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Yes Michelle I think this is the best Skippy so far! and by the way your daughter is gorgous been meaning to tell you that

and proud moments for ME I knew Poppinsme mare was an Appy and I knew what a roached mane is ok I'm over myself now

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #109
MichelleVW

Ok...dug through some computer files this morning and found some pics of my DD's old mare. She was her first horse and we sold/traded her to her old riding instructor for Ivan. I couldn't keep weight on this horse when we lived in NC no matter how much I fed her, but she thrived in North Dakota and I had to fight to keep the weight OFF of her!!

Here they are in a show in North Dakota. Smuckers could be a pain in the hiney but she LOVED to jump.

I love this picture Just wish the quality was better.

I thought this was cute.

This was the day we left her at her new farm....

Here's DD saying goodbye.....it was very sad....

Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #110
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
My Appy has the best personality ever!! He's as sweet as pie and will do anything and everything you ask him to do.

Here are a few old pics of Skippy.

Here he is at a show in NC. He really was never trained English, but we took him to the show anyway so DD took him in a few classes. It was FREEZING THAT DAY! Don't mind the bad roach job on his mane, but he kept sticking his head threw the fence and tore it all out so I cut it off.

Here he was at another fun show in NC. (yep, bad mane from ripping it out in the fence)

Here is DD taking him over a jump in North Dakota a few years ago.

I cold KISS you for having your DD wear a helmet in a western class. Thank you!

Skippy appears to have nice form over the little fence too. Nice even knees. Lovely expression through the bridle. Cuteness!

Just so people know...Appy's aren't bad, or stubborn...they're just smarter than most people!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #111
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

totally agree with the safety of helmets it was the first piece of horse equipment I bought..even though I didn't have the horse yet...I'm working on finding the pictures of the horse I almost had, but as one of my heroes Cesar Millan always says "you don't get the dog you think you want you get the dog you need and needs you" I think when you hear my story you will agree it applies to the horse too.

I just read an article in one of this months horse magazines where helmets were being discussed.it showed two girls going against the traditional top hat in the show ring and opting for helmets...I'll have to find it don't want to misquote but it was also suggested looking into cowboy hats with built-in helmets makes perfect sense to me

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #112
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
totally agree with the safety of helmets it was the first piece of horse equipment I bought..even though I didn't have the horse yet...I'm working on finding the pictures of the horse I almost had, but as one of my heroes Cesar Millan always says "you don't get the dog you think you want you get the dog you need and needs you" I think when you hear my story you will agree it applies to the horse too.

I just read an article in one of this months horse magazines where helmets were being discussed.it showed two girls going against the traditional top hat in the show ring and opting for helmets...I'll have to find it don't want to misquote but it was also suggested looking into cowboy hats with built-in helmets makes perfect sense to me
We use those for the western events with my Special Olympic equestrian team. Granted they are butt-ugly, but so is a colostomy bag (sorry for the graphic!).
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #113
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

on the subject of helmets

My dd has a friend, she is a very experienced horse person, has even been training other people's horses since she was in high school; competes at CHP, does eventing at the intermediate level (and maybe advanced???). Anyhoo, one day she went on an easy trail ride, sans helmet. Her long time horse spooked, drove her into a gate, and now she has a metal plate in her head.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #114
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

With all of the pictures, I couldn't resist but join in!! These are my babies - the paint in front is the boss man and my grey is just plain goofy. The little girl you can hardly see is about 30 years old and a rescue. Her job is to enjoy all life has to offer.

WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #115
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Is the goofy one your avatar? I love it, been meaning to tell you that..too funny

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #116
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

okay another question for the pros.......

eventually God willing I am going to be in the workforce again. It occurred to me today as I was changing the water in the bucket for what felt like the
100 th time (because it keeps getting warm/hot) there has to be a way to keep this water cool

seems like all I do lately is dump water for Maxine and the dogs and re-fresh all day long

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #117
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Is the goofy one your avatar? I love it, been meaning to tell you that..too funny
Yep, that's him! When I take pictures of him I have to walk backwards because he immediately has to check out the camera. As you can see in this picture, the bossman is giving him a preliminary warning to "back off!"
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #118
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
eventually God willing I am going to be in the workforce again. It occurred to me today as I was changing the water in the bucket for what felt like the
100 th time (because it keeps getting warm/hot) there has to be a way to keep this water cool

seems like all I do lately is dump water for Maxine and the dogs and re-fresh all day long
Well you could try an automatic waterer. They drink it and it automatically fills with fressh clean cool water.

The down side? They are apain if they break (and with horses, everything breaks eventually). I personally don't like them because you cannot monitor how much water your horse is drinking. I prefer to look at a bucket and see "Oh, Buddy drank 1/2 a bucket like usual", and if he hasn't I know something is amiss with him physically.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #119
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

yeah I should have put in the question post that I'm not a fan of the automatic waterers I like to see the amount she's drinking too

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #120
MichelleVW

Quote:

Honestly, I just don't fill the water trough up all the way and then I dump what's left in the morning and fill it half way up again. Doesn't keep it as cool as I would like, but it's better than nothing and at 107 I think warm water is better than nothing! In the heat that has been this last week, my horses are drinking A LOT of water, and I don't think they care that it's semi warm at this point.

I'm with you too about the automatic waterers...I like to know how much they are drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I cold KISS you for having your DD wear a helmet in a western class. Thank you!

Skippy appears to have nice form over the little fence too. Nice even knees. Lovely expression through the bridle. Cuteness!

Just so people know...Appy's aren't bad, or stubborn...they're just smarter than most people!
She has always worn a helmet, even when she would go riding with non helmet kids.

Skippy is a cutie, but he's also a pain in the patootie every now and then.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: