Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #796
Dee & Greg
DIS Veteran

Trail Riding this past weekend: Sunny Indiana

That's me on the borrowed white quarter horse mare. She's a doll and bomb proof. Long time since I've been on the trails.. a nice change from the show ring!
[IMG][/IMG]

9/17-9/23 2008 OKW 1 bd villa: nice!
11/3-11/7 2004 Beach Club Delightful!
9/23/2003 AKL again! Last minute!
11/2002 AKL Breath taking!
PO/FQ 11/2002
Grosvenor 11/2001 (Great rates after 9/11, but never off site again!)
PO/FQ 11/2000
PO/FQ 11/1999
PO/RS 11/1998
Dee & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #797
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
Oh crap, that's scary!!! I hope they find some place else to go.
They were back yesterday morning playing like puppies on the land next to mine....thankfully I noticed them before I let the dogs out!!
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #798
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
They were back yesterday morning playing like puppies on the land next to mine....thankfully I noticed them before I let the dogs out!!
Do the horses seemed bothered by them...in that pic they seem more interested in the hay!

Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #799
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Coyotes generally will not bother horses, since horses are much bigger, faster and can do some serious damage to the coyotes. They are more likely to attack if there is a sick or injured horse or a foal (easy pickings), or a lone horse (a pack of coyotes could overpower one horse). If you are really worried, invest in a guardian donkey. Most cattle herds around here use them with great success. We have a prolific coyote population and have never had an issue with them bothering the horses. We keep lights on at night (my neighbors used to joke that our house and farm was lit like an airport), we also keep trash secured so there's nothing to entice them over.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #800
MichelleVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
Do the horses seemed bothered by them...in that pic they seem more interested in the hay!
the horses don't worry about them...I think they just figure they are dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Coyotes generally will not bother horses, since horses are much bigger, faster and can do some serious damage to the coyotes. They are more likely to attack if there is a sick or injured horse or a foal (easy pickings), or a lone horse (a pack of coyotes could overpower one horse). If you are really worried, invest in a guardian donkey. Most cattle herds around here use them with great success. We have a prolific coyote population and have never had an issue with them bothering the horses. We keep lights on at night (my neighbors used to joke that our house and farm was lit like an airport), we also keep trash secured so there's nothing to entice them over.

Only thing that bothers me is that Ivan is so nosy and likes to "play" with dogs at times. One night we did wake up and they were up around the horses yipping....there were about 5 or 6 of them within 5 feet from the horses. We chased them away and no harm was done. I'm more worried about the dogs running into one of them.

Here's a pic I took of three of them playing Monday morning.

And here's a picture of Ivan....the most accident prone horse I have ever known. Yesterday morning it was about 50 degrees out so they were feeling frisky and running around....well....it was muddy so he slipped in the mud and somehow cut himself up. I saw him gimping around and I thought he hurt his leg so I went out to check and his leg was fine and then I looked up underneath him and saw this.

It's pretty superficial, but he's walking pretty gingerly. I hosed it off yesterday and put some medicine on it. I'm going to go check it again this morning and give him a tetanus shot since it's been 6 months since his last one and I have no idea what the heck he cut himself on.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #801
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Oh Michelle that looks like that really hurts. I hope Ivan is okay. Poor baby. Give him horsie hugs from us.

And the second picture of the coyotes romping around would freak me out!! I think you need a guardian donkey. There has to be a horse auction around there. Those donkeys practically sell for pennies at the auctions around here and they are always available. Just don't get a spotted one. Our British trainer, who doesn't normally seem superstitious, said that spotted donks are bad luck.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #802
MichelleVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
Oh Michelle that looks like that really hurts. I hope Ivan is okay. Poor baby. Give him horsie hugs from us.

And the second picture of the coyotes romping around would freak me out!! I think you need a guardian donkey. There has to be a horse auction around there. Those donkeys practically sell for pennies at the auctions around here and they are always available. Just don't get a spotted one. Our British trainer, who doesn't normally seem superstitious, said that spotted donks are bad luck.
The ding bat is pretty much all healed up now. It was sore for a couple of days, but all superficial. I love the spotted Donkies...I didn't know they were bad luck!!

Home alone and a little bored today so I went out to play with my camera and got these....

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #803
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Sitting in the middle of a tornado warning, washing my pregnant mare's udders. I think, she's appreciative. Lol

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 01-23-2012 at 08:00 AM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #804
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Smile Hi there....

I originally started this thread & hope to breathe life back into it
been away from the Disboards for a long time & recently came back
I still have Maxine she turned 6 on Mothers Day I hope to renew friendships I never forgot any of you..hope to,make new friends to so put aside that muck rake sit on a bale of hay & lets talk coffee anyone ?

Ruthie
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #805
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I still have Maxine she turned 6 on Mothers Day I hope to renew friendships I never forgot any of you..hope to,make new friends to so put aside that muck rake sit on a bale of hay & lets talk coffee anyone ?

Ruthie
Hi, remember me? Lets catch up!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #806
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Hey,

I'm back in. We have had major changes to our horsie world. We moved and brought our horses with us. So we are now the full time caretakers to our girls. And we added a little guy to the mix. Our DD had been begging for a mini but I would never get one when we were boarding. The deal was that we had to have taken care of our horses for a year before we would add to the group. Well that changed quickly.

We found out that a mini breeder had died and his partner just wanted to rehome the horses. We were able to get a breeding stallion with excellent blood lines for free. So we picked him up (and then gelded him ). He is the best trained horse. I love this little man. He is awesome!!! Even the vet was shocked at how well trained he was. My DD showed him constantly this summer. She has even won end of year Grand Champion in the Junior in-hand trail division at the association that we belong to!! And we missed the first two shows of the season with him!! Love this guy!

Our big girls are a handful. My DD's Haflinger is too smart for her own good. And unfortunately she is hard on fences. Ugh. She also gets bored very easily. So in my infinite wisdom (where is the eye roll smilie) I purchased one of those big balls that they can push around the paddock. That worked for about 1 minute. She liked it, pushed it and then gave it a great big shove - right into the back end of my blind mare that promptly kicked it right back at her with all her force. I wish I had that on video. It was pretty funny. Once I calmed the girls down, I took the ball out and gave it to the mini. It's bigger than he is. He's not a fan.

My mare has fully lost her sight now. She's hanging in but has good weeks and bad weeks. She is extremely healthy but some weeks she is much more skittish than others. There are days when she is fine but then there are days where she freaks out if she hears a leaf rustle. It breaks my heart to see her walk into things. DD's halfie is really very good with her. She is her eyes. And Dd's horse doesn't get upset when mine walks into her. She just moves to the side. My horse will scratch her head on my Dd's horse and some days just lean her head against her. They are buddies. On show days we leave mine stalled because she hates being in the field by herself. She will run into the fences trying to find her buddy. We've already made the decision that once it becomes too much emotionally for my mare that we will put her down. The best thing is that she is extremely well trained. She must have been someone's show horse at one point. When we went to move her from the boarding facility to our home I thought she would freak out getting into the trailer. Instead, she loaded right up as if she had done it a hundred times. Dd's horse gave us crap.

That's our update. I'll try to post pictures from home later tonight.
- Allison
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #807
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Smile Kathy & Alison

Welcome back to the barn ! Of course I remember you both So glad I jumped back in What better way to end one year & start a new one Been through so much since last time here but no whining There's a saying that if we all threw our problems into the middle of the road, we would look around & quickly run to grab up our own...I was a strong & spiritual woman before I am more so now......moving on

Alison I hope your mare has more good days So hard when we love them so Would love to see pics

Kathy Still live NH ? I remember your brother lives here let's stay in touch I promise to

I don't have internet at home just access through cellphone so won't be posting pics hope I can change that in January That's all for now next few days I pla to go back and read last 50 + pages looking forward to Michelle, Jenasis and many more coming back & to meeting others new & people that added to our thread when I wasn't able to be here

Ruthie
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #808
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Sup gang!

Things doing well here at the farm. We finished the show season on a high note with a few year end champions. Had a few new boarders move in (and some move out, but such is the biz). You may have seen my thread from this past Saturday regaling the DIS with the tale of how I had the snot kicked out of me on a trail ride. Still bruised and sore from that one!

Looking forward to reconnecting with my horsey friends and meeting all the new ones here on the DIS.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #809
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Smile hey Jennasis

So glad you had your ears pricked up and heard the welcoming whinny of Maxine calling all back to the barn

Haven't read the thread you mentioned above yet [re: the snot ..always did have a waywith words ! ] Sure its a doozy, glad you weren't seriously hurt

Since last here I finally got a job overnight shift so as soon as I can I will find your thread meanwhile Welcome back, put out the call we're back !!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #810
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post

Ruthie

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: