Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #781
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
The weekend continues to suck.

Had a horse show Saturday (my students rocked!). On the way home, an instructor friend of mine was hauling her rig home (F-350 and a 6 horse gooseneck) when they got broad sided by some idiot girl in her mommy's honda civic. My friend, 5 of her students, 6 horses and the civic nearly flipped there whole rig.

No injuries to any passengers but the horses were banged up pretty good. The impact knocked them out of their halters and knocked down the partitions in the trailer. The rig jack-knifed and got pushed about 20 feet into a ditch, and stopped about 5 feet from a telephone pole. They almost flipped in the ditch!

The idiot girl was either texting or simply not looking (parents following the rig saw the whole thing). The little car and the truck are totalled but the trailer is salvageable.

I can't believe she didn't see a rig that huge! Her insurance company is in for a big surprise when they get the ER bills, the bill for the trailer repairs, have to buy a new 350 for my friend AND get 6 horses worth of vet bills as well as loss of income.
I hope law enforcement did a check to see if she was texting because if she was, I hope they lower the boom on her. She's lucky that nobody was killed and that the horses weren't hurt any worse than they were.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #782
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I hope law enforcement did a check to see if she was texting because if she was, I hope they lower the boom on her. She's lucky that nobody was killed and that the horses weren't hurt any worse than they were.
I said that to my friend and she said they were going to subpoena her phone records or something like that.
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #783
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I said that to my friend and she said they were going to subpoena her phone records or something like that.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #784
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Wow, that is so scary. It is nerve-wracking enough to drive a trailer loaded with horses without worrying about texting teens...

Very glad to hear that everyone seems to be fine.

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #785
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

On a happy note...My fancy hunter has been rocking a NASTY sarcoid in his ear for a few years. We've had it removed twice and both times it grew back within a year. I just tried a new approach..Crest toothpaste, and believe it or not, after 3 weeks of slathering it on and picking off the crusty bits and old toothpast, it's nearly GONE.

So much more cost effective than surgery every year!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #786
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
as a person that always loved horses but never had a horse asking basic questions. Some of us thought a thread would be great
I like horses even when they buck. But I've never had one ask me questions.

Though I've never ridden Mr. Ed.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #787
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

I feel so defeated and disappointed. And I have a small problem that I need advice on, but I would feel better posting in on PM, because the horse world is small (especially in my area.) So if any of you feel ok with me PMing you about it, please let me know. Thanks

Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est ......
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Magic Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #788
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

I don't post on this thread very often, but I'm so upset today after an encounter with our farrier (or shall I say, EX-FARRIER) that still has me trying to wrap my head around how rude/arrogant he is. I'm sorry this is so long. :/

This particular farrier has been out to see my DD's horse four times (including today). Once for a trim, once for front shoes, once to replace a shoe, and today for new front shoes. He was great on his first visit..super nice. Second visit he was nice, but started saying some things about my DD's horse that were uncalled for and completely untrue, and had us freaking out over possible long-term lameness issues (which again, turned out unfounded...he just likes shooting off his mouth, apparently). When he came to the replace the shoe (the vet had to take it off due to an abscess), my DD was having a little trouble putting the horse in the crossties, and he jerked the lead rope away from her and said very curtly, "let me do it so we aren't here all day"...I was taken aback at the time, but said nothing.

The farrier was supposed to put new front shoes on the horse in mid-September, but ended up standing us up...he had a good excuse...his wife had just had a baby the night before, and he forgot to call. I was completely understanding of that, and asked that he call me to reschedule, which he said he'd do. He never did. I finally called him last week, and left a message saying we really needed to get her new shoes, and to please call me to set it up because my DD couldn't be there due to class, so I was coming. He called my DD, who told him she'd have to check with me (DUH...that's why I called him and gave him my number). I left him a message to confirm the date/time, and that was that.

Just as a bit of background...I didn't sleep much last night due to insomnia and my special needs son waking up several times this morning. He's been a bit of a handful lately, so I was more tired and stressed out than usual this morning. I show up at the barn this morning, and wait for the farrier. When I see his truck coming, I go out to the run to bring the horse back into the barn for him. My DD's horse is big (16.2 hands) and spirited..I'm 5'2" and not so spirited. She's a good horse, but she has been a bit pushy lately when leading for my DD (and my DD is working on this). I was leading the horse back into the barn, and she was being a bit pushy, so I popped the lead rope a few times to get her attention, and turned her in circles when she was trying to power walk. We also had to sort of squeeze through getting in the barn because his truck was parked there, and I didn't want her to bolt and hit it. She tried to pull me over a bit because she wanted to graze, and I was pulling her back, playfully telling her she was being a brat lately (which she has been). The farrier is standing there, not even smiling, and says, in the snarkiest tone, "Don't blame your horse for what you're doing wrong". EXCUSE ME? I looked at him and couldn't even say anything. He took the lead rope from me, popped it to get her attention, and walked her into the barn. I couldn't even help myself...I'm so stressed out and tired, and was doing the best I could with DD's horse, and to have that arrogant jerk make such a nasty comment...my voice started choking up, and I just said, "You know, it really wasn't necessary for you to say that to me...I'm doing the best I can, and I'm just here to help out my DD". The jerk just looks at me and says, "Well, it's TRUE". WHAT a JERK! I was speechless. He set off to work on the horse, and I pulled up a chair and just sat there in silence for the 1/2 hour or so it took him. When he was finished, he just said, "Okay, I'm done", I handed him a check, and he drove away. NEVER AGAIN. But I've been so upset about this all day...how can someone be THAT RUDE? I don't get it.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #789
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
I don't post on this thread very often, but I'm so upset today after an encounter with our farrier (or shall I say, EX-FARRIER) that still has me trying to wrap my head around how rude/arrogant he is. I'm sorry this is so long. :/

This particular farrier has been out to see my DD's horse four times (including today). Once for a trim, once for front shoes, once to replace a shoe, and today for new front shoes. He was great on his first visit..super nice. Second visit he was nice, but started saying some things about my DD's horse that were uncalled for and completely untrue, and had us freaking out over possible long-term lameness issues (which again, turned out unfounded...he just likes shooting off his mouth, apparently). When he came to the replace the shoe (the vet had to take it off due to an abscess), my DD was having a little trouble putting the horse in the crossties, and he jerked the lead rope away from her and said very curtly, "let me do it so we aren't here all day"...I was taken aback at the time, but said nothing.

The farrier was supposed to put new front shoes on the horse in mid-September, but ended up standing us up...he had a good excuse...his wife had just had a baby the night before, and he forgot to call. I was completely understanding of that, and asked that he call me to reschedule, which he said he'd do. He never did. I finally called him last week, and left a message saying we really needed to get her new shoes, and to please call me to set it up because my DD couldn't be there due to class, so I was coming. He called my DD, who told him she'd have to check with me (DUH...that's why I called him and gave him my number). I left him a message to confirm the date/time, and that was that.

Just as a bit of background...I didn't sleep much last night due to insomnia and my special needs son waking up several times this morning. He's been a bit of a handful lately, so I was more tired and stressed out than usual this morning. I show up at the barn this morning, and wait for the farrier. When I see his truck coming, I go out to the run to bring the horse back into the barn for him. My DD's horse is big (16.2 hands) and spirited..I'm 5'2" and not so spirited. She's a good horse, but she has been a bit pushy lately when leading for my DD (and my DD is working on this). I was leading the horse back into the barn, and she was being a bit pushy, so I popped the lead rope a few times to get her attention, and turned her in circles when she was trying to power walk. We also had to sort of squeeze through getting in the barn because his truck was parked there, and I didn't want her to bolt and hit it. She tried to pull me over a bit because she wanted to graze, and I was pulling her back, playfully telling her she was being a brat lately (which she has been). The farrier is standing there, not even smiling, and says, in the snarkiest tone, "Don't blame your horse for what you're doing wrong". EXCUSE ME? I looked at him and couldn't even say anything. He took the lead rope from me, popped it to get her attention, and walked her into the barn. I couldn't even help myself...I'm so stressed out and tired, and was doing the best I could with DD's horse, and to have that arrogant jerk make such a nasty comment...my voice started choking up, and I just said, "You know, it really wasn't necessary for you to say that to me...I'm doing the best I can, and I'm just here to help out my DD". The jerk just looks at me and says, "Well, it's TRUE". WHAT a JERK! I was speechless. He set off to work on the horse, and I pulled up a chair and just sat there in silence for the 1/2 hour or so it took him. When he was finished, he just said, "Okay, I'm done", I handed him a check, and he drove away. NEVER AGAIN. But I've been so upset about this all day...how can someone be THAT RUDE? I don't get it.
I have found many farriers can be that way (and I don't give those guys my money). After years of being kicked, trampled and bitten by pushy horses with no manners and owners just as bad (or who don't pay on time if at all), and almost ALL farriers are walking disaster areas physically with messed up knees and backs, they eventually become grizzled and sour. It's still no excuse and I refuse to patronize jerks so he would have lost my business...frankly, he;d have lost me after standing me up. My farrier is a gem (though I know many who don't like him). Been using him for 9 years and wouldn't trade him for the world!

If I were you I'd be making some calls to find a new farrier. No need at all to put up with that crap. So sorry!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #790
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

I agree, right or not, it wasn't his place to comment. He should have either just done his job, or refused if he thoght there was some issue. But there was no excuse to be rude.

I thought I killed this thread after my last post right before this one. I thought I just drove everyone away.

Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est ......
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Magic Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #791
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
I agree, right or not, it wasn't his place to comment. He should have either just done his job, or refused if he thoght there was some issue. But there was no excuse to be rude.

I thought I killed this thread after my last post right before this one. I thought I just drove everyone away.
Did you get the help you needed with your problem? Anything I can help you with?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #792
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Thanks y'all.

Our horse stands perfect for the farrier...she's an ex-racehorse, and is very used to being shoed. She's a very sweet horse, but she can get in your personal space...but she's young (only 4), and still learning. But she's not mean or aggressive...not at all. He is just an arrogant jerk...and I've already started looking for a new one.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #793
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
Thanks y'all.

Our horse stands perfect for the farrier...she's an ex-racehorse, and is very used to being shoed. She's a very sweet horse, but she can get in your personal space...but she's young (only 4), and still learning. But she's not mean or aggressive...not at all. He is just an arrogant jerk...and I've already started looking for a new one.
I hope you dump that farrier!!! We absolutely adore ours. We are looking at relocating our personal home and attempting to get enough property to keep our girls with us and out of the boarding barn. I'm trying to find someplace close enough that the farrier and the vet will continue to service our horses. I really love our guy. He is also a big Disney fan and really wants to go on the cruise. So on our last cruise I brought him back a keychain from Castaway Cay. He was so excited! It was really like I brought him a million dollars.
So not only is he an excellent farrier, he is an excellent person too. And you know what, my one girl was really acting up one day (I mean really bad - clear the area, flipping out, etc.). He told me that he would be able to handle her without issue. He had tricks. She stood perfectly still for him and none of us could figure it out. He just spoke to her so sweetly and calmed her down.

You don't deserve that treatment.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #794
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

coyotes

I really wish the coyotes would find a new place to live...we've heard so many of them lately and I saw about 6 of them run behind our pasture tonight. Luckily I saw them before the brave but stupid border collie saw them! You can see one right between the horses...the other 5 were already passed.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #795
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
I really wish the coyotes would find a new place to live...we've heard so many of them lately and I saw about 6 of them run behind our pasture tonight. Luckily I saw them before the brave but stupid border collie saw them! You can see one right between the horses...the other 5 were already passed.

Oh crap, that's scary!!! I hope they find some place else to go.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: