Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #766
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Oh man. What a terrible day.

We had to put a boarder's horse down tonight. Sucked right out loud. Poor guy colicked HARD. Vet was here and spent about 5 hours trying to get the horse's pain level under control. The horse was in so much pain we couldn't even consider trailering him to the hospital. The owner (including the little girl who owned him) were there the whole time too. In the end, we ust ran out of options...they couldn't afford surgery anyway.

So it's 1:16am, and I just got back into the house. DH is away on business too. Now I have to call the little boy who JUST started leasing this horse September first and tell him the horse is gone. I am exhausted and sad....so sad.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #767
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wow, so sorry to hear Jennasis, what a terrible day My heart goes out to the family that owned him and the leaser too. It's not always an easy business huh?
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #768
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Sorry to hear this Jen.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #769
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Oh man. What a terrible day.

We had to put a boarder's horse down tonight. Sucked right out loud. Poor guy colicked HARD. Vet was here and spent about 5 hours trying to get the horse's pain level under control. The horse was in so much pain we couldn't even consider trailering him to the hospital. The owner (including the little girl who owned him) were there the whole time too. In the end, we ust ran out of options...they couldn't afford surgery anyway.

So it's 1:16am, and I just got back into the house. DH is away on business too. Now I have to call the little boy who JUST started leasing this horse September first and tell him the horse is gone. I am exhausted and sad....so sad.
I'm so sorry. We have one who has had colic twice - both times pretty bad, but not as bad as what you had to deal with.

The second time we were lucky. I should have been gone but was at home. I was having pretty serious back problems and had been instructed not to travel so I didn't accompany DH and DD to the Dixie National. The next morning I noticed that he wasn't doing well and listened to his abdomen - no sounds.

Managed to keep him walking until the vet called and said that he was at the clinic with an emergency and couldn't come to the house but would see him immediately if I could get him there. I managed, but it wasn't easy. He stayed at the clinic for a few days and was okay with treatment. He never had colic again after that (about 10 years ago).

We've had friends who have lost horses to colic, and it's so sad. One lost theirs even after surgery at the vet school.

I'm so sorry for you and the others involved with the horse. I know it's tough.

DD is carrying one of ours to the vet today. Somehow he managed to get a pretty good cut on his hock, and she's not taking any chances. She treated it last night and wrapped it, but it looks like it could be deep. Hopefully, it won't be serious.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #770
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

I'm so sorry to hear that Jennasis.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #771
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

I'm so sorry....how awful for everyone.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #772
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Thanks guys. It was the worst colic I've ever seen and the vet said it was actually one of the worst he'd seen too. We pumped enough sedative and pain med in him to take down an elephant last night. Each shot lasting MAYBE 20 minutes before the pain broke through again. We're talking big stuff...butorphanol! xylazine and torb! Even gave him a second round of banamine 5 hours after I gave him the first round when I found him. Tubed him and did a rectal and nothing was out of place. nothing in his gut. NORMAL vitals too. No gut sounds at all.

Actually, I just paused writing this because the back hoe arrived and I had to go show the guy where to put him. When I went out just now and looked at the body, I noticed that he was bleeding profusely from the rectum...so I guess we can be fairly certain there was a massive obstruction that probably perforated his intestine.

Poor guy.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #773
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

I'm so sorry for your loss. My DF has always had a few "pet" Clydesdales and about five years ago lost one to colic. They got him in the trailer to take to the specialty hospital, but he went down and had to be put down. Looking back, they wish they wouldn't have tried and would have just ended his suffering while he was in his home environment at least. I hate to see any horse suffer, and colic just seems to be one of the worst....

for everyone who's ever had to deal with this...

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #774
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Jennasis - I am so sorry to hear this. My amazing quarterhorse actually died from colic when I was in my 20s. We later found that a lid to a styrofoam cooler in the corner of the property with a big chunk taken out of it (horse shaped). Our stupid neighbor had a tendency to toss all garbage back behind his house in a big pile.

It sucks. Hugs to you and the family.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #775
KY*Figment
DIS Veteran

A Ferrier's Daughter....

Hi! My dad is a Ferrier; puts shoes on horses in western KY. I grew up around Appaloosa, Quarter, & Paints along with a Shetland pony. I saw the forum and thought I would pop in to say hi!
DD (9)
Kobe

9/2000 All Star Music, 9/2005 All Star Sports, 9/2006 Pop,
9/2007 Pop, 10/2008 CB, 5/2009 SSR, 10/2009 Vero & OKW, 6/10 AKV, 10/10 VWL, 4/11 BWV, 10/11 BLT, 4/12 HHI, 10/12 BLT, & 10/13 OKW
KY*Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #776
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

The weekend continues to suck.

Had a horse show Saturday (my students rocked!). On the way home, an instructor friend of mine was hauling her rig home (F-350 and a 6 horse gooseneck) when they got broad sided by some idiot girl in her mommy's honda civic. My friend, 5 of her students, 6 horses and the civic nearly flipped there whole rig.

No injuries to any passengers but the horses were banged up pretty good. The impact knocked them out of their halters and knocked down the partitions in the trailer. The rig jack-knifed and got pushed about 20 feet into a ditch, and stopped about 5 feet from a telephone pole. They almost flipped in the ditch!

The idiot girl was either texting or simply not looking (parents following the rig saw the whole thing). The little car and the truck are totalled but the trailer is salvageable.

I can't believe she didn't see a rig that huge! Her insurance company is in for a big surprise when they get the ER bills, the bill for the trailer repairs, have to buy a new 350 for my friend AND get 6 horses worth of vet bills as well as loss of income.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #777
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

OMG! Is there a full moon? Unbelievable! I hope every one will be okay.

I hope, there is enough insurance. My DD was hit several years ago....a big rig ran them off the road. Three of the four girls had serious injuries..including DD. Unfortunately, the company only carried the minimum AND it took a few years to settle.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 09-12-2011 at 09:27 PM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #778
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Oh my word!! Actually yesterday was the full moon I believe. But still. That's terrible. I hope all the horses and passengers get 100% clean bills of health.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #779
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY*Figment View Post
Hi! My dad is a Ferrier; puts shoes on horses in western KY. I grew up around Appaloosa, Quarter, & Paints along with a Shetland pony. I saw the forum and thought I would pop in to say hi!
Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
The weekend continues to suck.

Had a horse show Saturday (my students rocked!). On the way home, an instructor friend of mine was hauling her rig home (F-350 and a 6 horse gooseneck) when they got broad sided by some idiot girl in her mommy's honda civic. My friend, 5 of her students, 6 horses and the civic nearly flipped there whole rig.

No injuries to any passengers but the horses were banged up pretty good. The impact knocked them out of their halters and knocked down the partitions in the trailer. The rig jack-knifed and got pushed about 20 feet into a ditch, and stopped about 5 feet from a telephone pole. They almost flipped in the ditch!

The idiot girl was either texting or simply not looking (parents following the rig saw the whole thing). The little car and the truck are totalled but the trailer is salvageable.

I can't believe she didn't see a rig that huge! Her insurance company is in for a big surprise when they get the ER bills, the bill for the trailer repairs, have to buy a new 350 for my friend AND get 6 horses worth of vet bills as well as loss of income.
Omg how awful!!! I get so angry when people get close to my trailer I can't imagine how livid I would be!!!

I think I may have solved our hay problems for the winter. (horrible drought in Texas and no one has hay). Well, my DH has cows at the family farm 2 hours from here and they are going to sell them all because it would be to much to feed them and they didn't get enough hay this year. BUT they did get enough good hay to get my horses through the winter and then some!!

So, since they are selling all the cows, I get to pick out what round bales I want/need and they are going to sell the rest. It's "cow" hay, but it's just straight up coastal and it's nice hay. We brought one home a few weeks ago and the horses loved it. I figure I will also go to a place we have nearby that ships in hay from California soon and get enough to supplement between round bales. So I should be able to get through this winter without having to sell my blood to get enough money to buy hay!!

Hay prices are nuts around here now...if you can find any it's $11-$12 a bale for scrawny weed filled hay. The hay from California that I buy is about $20 a bale, but they are huge 3 string 120 pound bales.

I was really worried about how I was going to feed them this winter and a huge load has been lifted!!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #780
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Jennasis - I am so sorry to hear about the accident! That just sucks. I hope everyone, including the horses, recover from the accident without any permanent damage.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: