Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #736
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
Do any of you use herbal wormer from Molly's Herbals?
Never heard of it.

Went out tonight to feed and found the horses in the front yard!!!

Thankfully it was feeding time so I just threw some pellets in a bucket and shook it a few times and they followed me back inside the gate. I think it was the fastest I have ever caught a loose horse, because we all know how stupid they get when they know they are loose! I think the lure of dinner was too much for them to stay away.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #737
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Went out tonight to feed and found the horses in the front yard!!!

Thankfully it was feeding time so I just threw some pellets in a bucket and shook it a few times and they followed me back inside the gate. I think it was the fastest I have ever caught a loose horse, because we all know how stupid they get when they know they are loose! I think the lure of dinner was too much for them to stay away.
My old horse Jewel could get out of almost anything. I can't count how many times I found her on the front lawn and my other, Teeka, hollering from the barn because she was locked in alone
Glad your situation had a happy ending!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #738
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Heading to the barn....just to make sure, everyone is sweating. Ugh, it's hot!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #739
saddleup
Earning My Ears

my horse (trekhaner/hannovarian) can get out of almost everything too. His latest success was to figure out how to open his stall door. I thought it was a fluke when he came to join me in the yard. I put him back in his stall and about 10 minutes later, here he comes again!!

Last edited by saddleup; 07-19-2011 at 10:59 PM.
saddleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #740
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

DD went to her first real show today and did really well. She placed in every class...not high but she placed. She even took third in the Hopeful Jumpers class 2'6"-3'. Third!!! I was just hoping she would make it through the course.:
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #741
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
DD went to her first real show today and did really well. She placed in every class...not high but she placed. She even took third in the Hopeful Jumpers class 2'6"-3'. Third!!! I was just hoping she would make it through the course.:
Awesome!!!! I know how exciting it is to hear your DD's name called!!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #742
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Yay!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #743
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
It's wonderful to have hard work and dedication pay off. Way to go!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #744
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Thanks. We were really excited for her. Her horse is so wonderful, but terribly UNfancy. She moves sort of like a hippo, so I was pretty shocked at her placement in the hunter classes.

Question about manes. DD has so far refused to pull or even cut Ember's manebecause it is really long and lush. But yesterday was an eye opener. If she wants to compete, my running braid (even though I'm pretty good at it by now) isn't going to cut it. She needs that hunter cut. I have to do it myself, because grooming fees are not in the budget. I think her mane is to thick to cut. It needs to be pulled. How painful is that for them? Is one tool better than another? I saw a thing at the tack shop that cuts an thins to give it a pulled look without the "pulling," are those just a gimmick?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #745
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Thanks. We were really excited for her. Her horse is so wonderful, but terribly UNfancy. She moves sort of like a hippo, so I was pretty shocked at her placement in the hunter classes.

Question about manes. DD has so far refused to pull or even cut Ember's manebecause it is really long and lush. But yesterday was an eye opener. If she wants to compete, my running braid (even though I'm pretty good at it by now) isn't going to cut it. She needs that hunter cut. I have to do it myself, because grooming fees are not in the budget. I think her mane is to thick to cut. It needs to be pulled. How painful is that for them? Is one tool better than another? I saw a thing at the tack shop that cuts an thins to give it a pulled look without the "pulling," are those just a gimmick?
If your DD is doing jumpers, then it shouldn't matter if she moves like a one legged giraffe or a million dollar hunter. As long as she clears the fences and beats the clock, that's all that matters! I have several students who own a "less-than-fancy" horse who do phenomenally in jumpers.

About that mane. Good grooming can go a real long way towards making our less-than-fancy horses look a bit fancier. Trim the whiskers and ears, and the back of her fetlocks. A mane pull should run you about $25 to have someone do it for you. As far as pain? It isn't painful like when you yank out your hair. The base of the mane has a fat pad there. So while they feel "pulling", they don't feel that pain. There are no tools that do a good job of pulling IMO. The best thing is a metal pulling comb and time. Have someone show you how to do it and then do it. Essentially you are taking small sections of her mane (maybe 10-15 hairs at a time), back-combing the piece to the desired length, wrapping the hair aroudn the comb and then pulling.

The thicker/bushier the mane, the harder it will be and more necessary a traditional pull is, since you need to thin it out to reduce the bushiness. Gadgets will not thin the mane. Even the scissors that "thin" just cut the hair in ragged spots and when it grows back...a-yuck.

If you have a horse that will not stand for a traditional pull, you can either have your vet prescribe a mild sedative or use regular scissors to do a modified version. Though I don't recommend this method with scissors for bushy horses. Take your pulling comb, seperate those same 10-15 hairs out, back comb and then CUT the hair instead of wrapping and pulling at the spot where you back combed to.

Of course, if you REALLY want to make your horse "fancified", then your best bet is to pay for someone to braid (button braids, not a french). I am LOUSY at braiding, but I have a few students who are pretty good at it and like to make a little extra cash. If you get good at it, might be a way to earn a little extra money for show fees!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #746
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
MM that is excellent! You and your DD must have been psyched.

My DD did a recent draft show. It is a local show and it was a halter class. She was up against all the other big draft horses. She was the only kid and had the only draft pony. They were all big, black percherons. We had the only blonde draft pony. She placed last in all 3 of her classes but she tried and she had fun. I figured it was a learning experience for her and her horse as it was the first for both of them. And since there weren't many participants for this past show, she ribboned in all 3.

As for my Camelot rescue horse, it is official. She is completely blind in her right eye. The vet thinks she may have taken either a hit to her face at some point or this is the end result of moon blindness in that eye. She has sight in her left eye, which is good. She has absolutely no pressure in her right eye. She was tranquilized today and he had me feel her eye to show me the problem. Her eye is really weepy but he said that's to be expected. We just need to clean it up. She's not in any pain so there is no need to do anything. We just need to be really cautious around that side of her. This explains a lot of her behavior. She is really very sweet. And since I have no aspirations, other than light riding on trails, we should be okay. I just feel bad for her. She had a rough time and someone dumped her in an auction. But she's with us now and is pampered on a daily basis! I guess that's all that matters in the long run.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #747
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Help?

Ok dissers, I didn't know where else to post this, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or overstepping any boundaries. I got a facebook post on my wall today from a friend about a bunch of horses that are looking for homes, quickly! Evidently someone died and the son wants nothing to do with them. Should I post the info here?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #748
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
Ok dissers, I didn't know where else to post this, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or overstepping any boundaries. I got a facebook post on my wall today from a friend about a bunch of horses that are looking for homes, quickly! Evidently someone died and the son wants nothing to do with them. Should I post the info here?
That may be an old story. There was one going around a few months ago about that. I would Google a few of the key words and see if you can find something on it first. Maybe check out the chronicle of the horse forum. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #749
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
Post away, but as Eyeore said it sounds like the story about the 54 Thoroughbreds.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #750
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
That may be an old story. There was one going around a few months ago about that. I would Google a few of the key words and see if you can find something on it first. Maybe check out the chronicle of the horse forum. Good luck.
Thank you! Usually Snopes is my friend, but I guess I was tired last night. A preliminary snopes search showed nothing, but I changed one word and got the exact post. It doesn't show as false, but it does show that the phone number given goes to a voicemail saying the horses have been adopted.

Sorry to bother ya'll!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: