Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #61
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Its the same thing with dog rescue sites too that's why I figured lets have one here because we are all lovely people to begin with aren't we
Heck no! Don't do thing's my way at your own peril. All BOW before my mighty equine knowledge...

hehehe...

I tell my students all the time that the day I stop learning something new or a new way of doing something is the day I get out of the business.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #62
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Heck no! Don't do thing's my way at your own peril. All BOW before my mighty equine knowledge...

hehehe...
I cross tie!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #63
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
I cross tie!
Is that considered a no-no somewhere? We cross-tie our horses. We have nifty safety crossties that have velcro at the end. If the horse pulls back or bolts, the velcro detaches. I won't use bungee type ties though. Too dangerous.

BTW, how is your daughter's new horse doing?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #64
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes my Queen...don't you know we all had to sign that oath as part of the membership packet
hehehe...

I tell my students all the time that the day I stop learning something new or a new way of doing something is the day I get out of the business.
very true if you can't learn you might as well just lie down forever & call it a day

Maxine in January...trust me it was freakin' frozen water bucket cold ! Even DH had a winter coat on....

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #65
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Quote:
Is that considered a no-no somewhere? We cross-tie our horses. We have nifty safety crossties that have velcro at the end. If the horse pulls back or bolts, the velcro detaches. I won't use bungee type ties though. Too dangerous.

BTW, how is your daughter's new horse doing?
Apparently to some people it is a big no-no. And they told me all about it. It means I want my horse to break her neck.

The new horse (the mare in the picture above) is doing great. It took her forever to settle in, but she's really happy now. She eats like a cow though (and is a Houdini at escaping a grazing muzzle.)

DD had a blast with her this summer. She's starting her on jumps this week. Its fun to watch them together.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #66
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
Apparently to some people it is a big no-no. And they told me all about it. It means I want my horse to break her neck.

The new horse (the mare in the picture above) is doing great. It took her forever to settle in, but she's really happy now. She eats like a cow though (and is a Houdini at escaping a grazing muzzle.)

DD had a blast with her this summer. She's starting her on jumps this week. Its fun to watch them together.

So exciting for her! I bet they'll have a blast. We have one who wears a grazing muzzle from time to time and it drives us both batty. In fact, when she sees me come into her stall with it, she will run from me IN the stall! Such a brat.

As for the cross tie. I wouldn't buy a horse who WOULDN'T cross-tie. As for the broken neck nonsense, safety cross ties and halters take care of that worry.

BTW, here's my Appendix butthead, Buddy:
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #67
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm the one with the Appendix. To put it bluntly, he's a BUTT. However, he is super ridiculously talented. Drop dead gorgeous. But a total monkey's patoot. He has a personality, but it takes a very specific rider to deal with his shenanigans.

GENERALLY speaking, with an Appendix, you hope for TB athleticism, height, with a QH brain, temperament and thicker bone structure.

My money-butt horse not-withstanding, I really like Appendix's!
Interesting. You just added to our theory about appendix's.

We have a new boarder at the barn I manage and one of hers is an appendix. He has enough quirks that you can't trust him. I went to de-worm him in his stall yesterday and if he wasn't quite as nice as he is I wouldn't be typing this now. He freaked, dragged me around the stall and I ended up directly behind him - not where you want to be. I was waiting for the kick, but thank goodness it did not come! Way too much of an over-reaction for a de-wormer! I will let his mom do it . He makes all my other semi-tough ones look like a piece of cake!

We also have an appendix as a boarder here at our home barn. She is such a nervous thing. After several years she has decided she likes my very quiet barn. I know her well now, but you still have to be careful with her. We don't cross tie her. Keep her routine the same and she is happy.

Also had a friend who had an appendix mare several years ago. Very pretty, but flighty. Another one that couldn't be trusted.

Yep, the general desire for the TB athleticism, stamina, and height with the QH personality is ideal, but I haven't found one like that yet!
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #68
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

I'm not a cross tier....but my mom does...

I blanket more in Texas than I ever did in North Dakota...but in ND it was always cold and they got used to it but in Texas it will be 80 one day and 20 the next...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #69
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
I'm not a cross tier....but my mom does...

I blanket more in Texas than I ever did in North Dakota...but in ND it was always cold and they got used to it but in Texas it will be 80 one day and 20 the next...
I know exactly what you mean in NY you had the true seasons here I'm like glued to the local weather in the "winter" months having to decide blanket on ? blanket off?

I have a question about cross tying, we always did with no problem but don't have a place here to do it someday I will have my "mini" barn and have a place. Do they ever "forget"? , will she be just as good as she always was? What do you think?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #70
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Your horse won't forget how to cross tie. If you can't find safety ties, you can improvise by making a small loop of baling twine at the end of the tie near the wall. In the event of an emergency the twine will break and the horse won't get hung up.

About the blanket on/off thing. Horses are naturally adept at regualting their own body temp, even when the temp swings wide. If it is hot today and cold tomorrow, you are better off letting them alone (no blanket) for the cold day or two. Of course if your horse is shivering, help him out!

I am a bit anti-blanket. Horses have a wonderful insulation system naturally...their hair coat. Putting a blanket on them flattens the hair coat and makes it difficult for them to keep themselves warm, so now the blanket is their ONLY defense. COnversely, horses do better being a bit cold than too hot.

But that's just me. I'm in NC and my horses are nekkid, but I blanket my boarder's horses the way the owners want. Back in NY my horse was naked...until the other barn folk guilted me into buying one.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #71
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Thats good to know about the cross ties

so this blanket thing..personally I don't like them either and have it for the same reason you got yours BUT if she's not shivering (and I know Jan is a long way off) and the temps are down lets say for a week in the 20's/30's at night & back to 60's during the day then its better just no blanket? I wasn't taking it on & off I was just leaving it on..my feelings were that if they were giving frost warnings and people were covering fruit I should be blanketing her too ? Of course she's not an orange

Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #72
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
Thats good to know about the cross ties

so this blanket thing..personally I don't like them either and have it for the same reason you got yours BUT if she's not shivering (and I know Jan is a long way off) and the temps are down lets say for a week in the 20's/30's at night & back to 60's during the day then its better just no blanket? I wasn't taking it on & off I was just leaving it on..my feelings were that if they were giving frost warnings and people were covering fruit I should be blanketing her too ? Of course she's not an orange
This was a ROUGH ROUGH winter here in FL..I know I saw a LOT of horses kept blanketed for most of it...The temps stayed cold for a LONG time..and being you are out in the open country, it probably was colder there..I am sure your baby appreciated the blanket.

Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #73
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

You're right about it was rough I kept finding frozen stiff geckos but on the other hand the horses right up the road are turnout 24/7 too and they had no blankets on..just want to do the right thing

Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #74
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

If I am cold, it does not mean my horse is cold....necessarily.

To each there own. I can't say I never blanket. My one horse will get blanketed on the rare occassion he starts shivering (usually after he's gotten rained on, and then I put a cooler on to help keep him warm while he dries).

If it works for you, and you don't mind the added work of blanket on/off, have at it. Understanding the physiology of the horse, how they warm themselves and how blankets work will help you decide if a blanket is necessary for your situation. For example, horses who show and are body-clipped MUST have a blanket, as their hair-coat is removed (which is their temp regulating system).
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #75
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Quote:
very true if you can't learn you might as well just lie down forever & call it a day

Maxine in January...trust me it was freakin' frozen water bucket cold ! Even DH had a winter coat on....

This is a great picture Ruthie!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: