Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I'm sorry, I should have explained...

Linament is a liquid product (or occassionally a gel) that is used to cool off hot areas or to soothe tired muscles. You can buy a premade one like Bigeloil (pronounced beagle-oil), or make your own by mixing rubbing alcohol into a bucket of water. Then grab a sponge and sponge bathe the horse over the hot sweaty areas, being sure to pay attention to the chest, loins, and between the back legs. The evaporation of the alcohol will cool the horse.

Anytime you hose down a horse you have to use a sweat scraper to scrape ALL the excess water off. Otherwise the extra water saturates the hair coat, gets heated by the horses own body heat, which makes it like wearing a hot weat blanket.
Okay got it makes a lot of sense ( the alcohol & the H2O) same like when the kids (human) had a fever & you wanted to bring the body temp down

and boy does it make sense about the sweat scraper

Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
Yep.

COTH is the DISboards for horses, at least according to my dd, the rider and horse girl in our family. Plus, there are hilarious postings in there sometimes. If you're ever bored, do a search there on keeping gold fish in your water trough.
oo we do that!
they seem to like it, even.
: )
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

It's crazy hot here too. They have shade and water so I don't worry too much. I sometimes give more apples and carrots when it's hot, but mostly I just make sure they have water at their disposal!

What you worry about is when they are NOT sweating...that is bad.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Lightbulb Hay (LOL) what do you think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
It's crazy hot here too. They have shade and water so I don't worry too much. I sometimes give more apples and carrots when it's hot, but mostly I just make sure they have water at their disposal!

What you worry about is when they are NOT sweating...that is bad.
Hi Michelle, well you've seen pictures of her and she's...well healthy as a horse (ok ok I know friends that was really really bad no vegetavle throwing) but still wanted to get reassurance esp yesterday

You know there are a lot of groups here on the Dis Boards for special interests Is it a stretch to think there would be interest for horse lovers

I know there are web site/forums out there (and thanks for telling about "COTH") not only for me to learn from all of you, I'm willing to bet there are also others on the boards that may be interested in this too. A go to place to ask questions & not feel intimidated...you're all great.. a place to share ideas, pictures, horse safe recipes, get info to each other like the EEE,
NOT a place to sell/buy/anything or anyone..just like our own virtual barn buddies that are already Dis buddies

Thoughts????????
Ruthie
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #20
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Just be aware...you know how the DIS can get, well..."rough" sometimes? The COTH can be very catty. I mean ROUGH. So just make sure you have super tough skin before delving into that place. You can also check to see if there is a horse-board specific to where you live.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
oo we do that!
Love the Coth.. they other board I visit is Equinesite.com its mainly for New England Horse Owners but has alot of great information
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

There is http://forum.nchorsenews.com/ I used to go there a lot when I lived in NC, and still do sometimes because I know many of them personally. It's not as active as it was in the past, but you can find some good information there and it's not as snarky as Coth. I like reading Coth, but I don't post there.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
luvmy3jewels
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hijack the thread , but since it appears there are several horse experts on the DIS boards do you guys have any advice about keeping ticks off of horses? We have a lot of deer, foxes, and other misc. wild critters that enjoy romping in our pasture and they are kind enough to share their ticks with our horse (this summer has been worse than I have ever seen!)

Dh has been using a fly spray on him nightly (the label says it works for ticks also, but I haven't been overly impressed). Other than spending hours every day trying to pick those suckers off is there a better product out there for ticks?

Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

you're not hijacking the thread, I don't have that problem so hopefully someone here will answer...seriously thinking the horse people on Dis would be a good thing....thinking about it
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
wildernesslodgelover
LOTW charter member!
Of course if they *did* start serving alcohol at MK, I would be first in line, but it doesn't rent space in my head or anything

Ruthie-I think you should start a horse thread! I know I would post on it regularly...even if it is just to share pictures of my little dudes. I hosed Boo down yesterday and let him out, knowing he would roll...but had no idea he would go straight for the one patch of dirt in paddock. He looked SO FUNNY and I wanted to take a picture but then I though, "Nah, no one will get as big of a kick out of this as I do."

I have not owned a horse in 20 years, so I am a little rusty on my horse knowledge...plus things have also changed since I first owned a horse. I am glad to know about other horse forums, but I am comfy here on the DIS.

Think of something clever to call it. Like "Giddy Up-The all about horses thread". I am not suggesting that name...I just mean something cute!

Ok, here we can tie horses and Disney together. What kind of horse is the horse in the MNSSHP parade? I am guessing it is a Fresian. Here is my very own video of the horse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VIWdO7K8c
trying to stay at every resort at least once! only AS, CBR, Poly and GF left!
wildernesslodgelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
oo we do that!

You should get a kick out of this thread then....

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=202323
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
Dee & Greg
DIS Veteran

I have a 25 year old retired show horse mare, and she only goes out for about 3-4 hours in the mornings on really hot days, and then gets to spend the rest of the day in her stall.. with windows and a fan. And automatic waterers (*sigh!*)
But last week the heat index was 104, and I went out and sponged her off with some tepid water and vetrolin (it's my favorite liniment because it cuts through the salt and is easy on their skin)

We cut back a little on the grain when it's miserably hot, but give extra hay. Don't want any colic!

9/17-9/23 2008 OKW 1 bd villa: nice!
11/3-11/7 2004 Beach Club Delightful!
9/23/2003 AKL again! Last minute!
11/2002 AKL Breath taking!
PO/FQ 11/2002
Grosvenor 11/2001 (Great rates after 9/11, but never off site again!)
PO/FQ 11/2000
PO/FQ 11/1999
PO/RS 11/1998
Dee & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #28
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Part of the key to keeping the tick population down is to keep your pastures properly mowed and to trim low hanging branches from the trees.

If you are using a fly repellent spray, make sure you choose an OIL based one, otherwise the less expensive water based ones will wash off in the rain or if your horse sweats.

I Still recommend using a fly sheet if your horse lives out 24/7. Many are imbued with fly/tick repellent, and the lighter color helps keep them at bay.

Wildernesslodgelover: Horses will generally roll in a sandy or dirty/muddy spot. In fact, the name for those patches in a pasture where the horses always roll and the grass has been eroded away leaving just dirt behind, is a "lounge".

The headless horseman's horse is a Friesian. The horse is trained to go from point A (where the parade starts) to point B (backstage at the end of the parade). The rider is sitting there, not really steering. While he can see out of his costume, his vision is so limited that they decided it'd be best to just train the horse where to go.

On our honeymoon in 2005, DH and I were picked to be Grand Marshall's in the MNSSHP parade. I as stoked, but also disappointed since I'd miss the horseman riding down the street. I explained this to the CM driving the car we were in in the front of the parade (we were still backstage behind Splash) and she just said "Mm hmm..." and nodded behind my shoulder. I turned around and the dang horse was breathing down my neck!! He's a BIG guy. Then the horseman kicked and the horse took off down the street...with one poor CM and a pooper scooper jogging behind him!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
wildernesslodgelover
LOTW charter member!
Of course if they *did* start serving alcohol at MK, I would be first in line, but it doesn't rent space in my head or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Part of the key to keeping the tick population down is to keep your pastures properly mowed and to trim low hanging branches from the trees.

If you are using a fly repellent spray, make sure you choose an OIL based one, otherwise the less expensive water based ones will wash off in the rain or if your horse sweats.

I Still recommend using a fly sheet if your horse lives out 24/7. Many are imbued with fly/tick repellent, and the lighter color helps keep them at bay.

Wildernesslodgelover: Horses will generally roll in a sandy or dirty/muddy spot. In fact, the name for those patches in a pasture where the horses always roll and the grass has been eroded away leaving just dirt behind, is a "lounge".

The headless horseman's horse is a Friesian. The horse is trained to go from point A (where the parade starts) to point B (backstage at the end of the parade). The rider is sitting there, not really steering. While he can see out of his costume, his vision is so limited that they decided it'd be best to just train the horse where to go.

On our honeymoon in 2005, DH and I were picked to be Grand Marshall's in the MNSSHP parade. I as stoked, but also disappointed since I'd miss the horseman riding down the street. I explained this to the CM driving the car we were in in the front of the parade (we were still backstage behind Splash) and she just said "Mm hmm..." and nodded behind my shoulder. I turned around and the dang horse was breathing down my neck!! He's a BIG guy. Then the horseman kicked and the horse took off down the street...with one poor CM and a pooper scooper jogging behind him!
Ohhhh, that is so cool you got to be the grand marshall in that parade! I am so envious! Yes, that horseman is our family's favorite part of the entire parade. He must be super duper "bombproof!"

Cute about "the lounge!" I thought it was odd, because usually he rolls in his stall...I find shavings stuck to him. Bruno is the one I always see in the dirt, not Boo. I guess Bruno's bad habits are rubbing off on him, LOL.
trying to stay at every resort at least once! only AS, CBR, Poly and GF left!
wildernesslodgelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernesslodgelover View Post
Ohhhh, that is so cool you got to be the grand marshall in that parade! I am so envious! Yes, that horseman is our family's favorite part of the entire parade. He must be super duper "bombproof!"

Cute about "the lounge!" I thought it was odd, because usually he rolls in his stall...I find shavings stuck to him. Bruno is the one I always see in the dirt, not Boo. I guess Bruno's bad habits are rubbing off on him, LOL.
I think the name you settled on for the second little guy is ADORABLE!

I was like a 5 year old on Christmas when the CM asked us to be the Grand Marshalls. In fact, a DISser saw my thread talking about it after we got back and had a picture of us in the lead car from their own vacation photos! She posted it and sent me a copy. How cool right?

On the horse front I am currently nursing a messed up hoof back-to-health. My big Appendix threw a shoe and tore off a good portion of his hoof with it. Farrier trimmed it all up but the hoof is so bruised that we can't put a shoe back on yet and the horse is LAME. I've got a padded old-mac boot on him in the meantime, and have been slathering sole paint on every day to toughen his feet up.

Then one of my other horses managed to score himself a puncture wound to the right elbow. Vet came and cleaned it all out and he's on SMZ 10 pills/ twice a day for 5 days...yuck!

When you have 26 horses, someone is ALWAYS on the disabled list. I feel like I should have the vet just move in with us!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: