Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #181
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

My mare is microchipped. She had to be because that was the only way to get her registered. It only cost me $10 for the chip ( which came from the registry)and whatever it cost my vet to do it? All it is is a suringe that you inject under the skin in the neck. I need to have the vet bring the scanner back one of these days to make sure it is still there...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #182
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Example: they ask for value of the horse for mortality insurance. to me Maxine is pricless of course BUT how do you insure value? she's a quarterhorse/arabian she's 5 y/o what do they cover? all help appreciated

Ruthie
Over the years we have had 2 mortality claims. One was a registered paint mare. She was older, around 23 or 24. She was mainly just a pleasure riding horse and didn't do any showing. She had 1 colt when we owned her and had 5 prior to that. So she had some background as a broodmare. We had her insured for $2,500 through my parents State Farm Insurance. She broke her leg and we had her put down. The insurance adjuster called our vet regarding the fact that we had to put her down and then verified her value with a couple of local paint breeders. We had a check within about a week. On the second mare, we had her insured for the same amount but she was really old - over 30 and although she was a black and white paint she wasn't registered. We had the vet out to check on her because she hadn't been acting normal and she went down and could not get back up. The insurance company ended up denying the claim on her. I believe it was due to her age. She had never been shown or been a broodmare and at her age really had little value.

I do know that most of these mortality insurance policies require that you get their ok prior to euthanizing your horse. We don't have any horses right now, but over the years we have been through several major medical issues like colic surgery, surgery for ring bone... it's really expensive. I think I'd check with my vet to see what companies they have experience with and who is good about paying the claims...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #183
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Hi horse people. This past weekend DH found a lose horse. It was running down the road. Poor little thing was so scared. He stopped as did several others. They were able to approach and thankfully the horse had a harness on so it was easy to hold and was very gentle. Really sounds like that beauty was frightened and was so happy to have someone guide it home.
Although it wasn't actually home. The cops came and a local rescue took the horse until they could locate the owner. Are horses microchipped? Like dogs? Poor family must be worried I hope they are all reunited soon.
Java, I believe you are in NJ. That rescue farm is outside of Phillipsburg (Mylestone Equine Rescue). They are amazing and do great work. If you're interested, they run an open house I believe the second weekend in October. Place is great and the open house is fun for the kids! My GS troop just did their Bronze Award project by having a supply drive for them.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #184
hinodis
DIS Veteran

I just found this thread! Giddy up! DD13 has been riding english for 6 years. We lease a pony for her. I am so glad I found this because we are having issues and are thinking of changing barns. We both love her trainer and the facilities. Problem is a group of girls at the barn. My DD has been a part of this group of 5 girls for 3 years. They have had numerous sleepovers and spend almost every day out at the barn riding together and "working" extra ponies. These other girls are from very wealthy families and are sometimes a bit spoiled and can be mean to my DD. She has just let it roll off for the past couple years. Well, a new girl came to the barn and the "ring leader" of the group decided she and everyone else would not talk to the new girl or be her friend. My DD decided to get to know the new girl and became friends with her. The other girls were so mean to the new girl she left the barn. My DD was treated horribly by her barn friends because she befriended the new girl. For a month these friends have been ignoring DD and being very rude to her, to the point that we have decided to leave the barn as well. Trainer is begging DD to stay and is talking to the girls and there parents. We went on vacation and while we were gone DD got some very nasty text messages from a particular girl in the barn. I have had enough of it. I called trainer and she asked that my DD come in and the trainer wants all the girls to sit down and talk about it all. DD feels that nothing will change and that she will be uncomfortable around the girls. SO, after this long story my question to you all is....do we leave a barn that we are happy with the trainer so DD will be more comfortable? (she wants to go to the barn that the "new" girl went to after the mean girls drove her away) Or do I have her sit down with everyone and see if it can be worked out?
hinodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #185
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinodis View Post
I just found this thread! Giddy up! DD13 has been riding english for 6 years. We lease a pony for her. I am so glad I found this because we are having issues and are thinking of changing barns. We both love her trainer and the facilities. Problem is a group of girls at the barn. My DD has been a part of this group of 5 girls for 3 years. They have had numerous sleepovers and spend almost every day out at the barn riding together and "working" extra ponies. These other girls are from very wealthy families and are sometimes a bit spoiled and can be mean to my DD. She has just let it roll off for the past couple years. Well, a new girl came to the barn and the "ring leader" of the group decided she and everyone else would not talk to the new girl or be her friend. My DD decided to get to know the new girl and became friends with her. The other girls were so mean to the new girl she left the barn. My DD was treated horribly by her barn friends because she befriended the new girl. For a month these friends have been ignoring DD and being very rude to her, to the point that we have decided to leave the barn as well. Trainer is begging DD to stay and is talking to the girls and there parents. We went on vacation and while we were gone DD got some very nasty text messages from a particular girl in the barn. I have had enough of it. I called trainer and she asked that my DD come in and the trainer wants all the girls to sit down and talk about it all. DD feels that nothing will change and that she will be uncomfortable around the girls. SO, after this long story my question to you all is....do we leave a barn that we are happy with the trainer so DD will be more comfortable? (she wants to go to the barn that the "new" girl went to after the mean girls drove her away) Or do I have her sit down with everyone and see if it can be worked out?

That sucks...girls are so mean. Honestly those girls won't change, you can have all the "sit downs" you want but I don't think it will help. I would switch barns.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #186
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hate saying changing barns is the answer - but at this age I don't see a change. The sit down will only irritate the girls into being even more rude to your DD, and in all honesty it might make her uncomfortable too. Obviously talking to their parents hasn't worked. It's really a shame that kids are that cruel sometimes.
aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #187
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
That sucks...girls are so mean. Honestly those girls won't change, you can have all the "sit downs" you want but I don't think it will help. I would switch barns.
I hate to say change barns too, but I don't see any benefit in your daughter having to put up with this junk either. You know, one of the things that I've always liked about the horses was that we saw very little of this kind of behavior. For the most part, the girls got along very well at both of the trainers we used. There was the occasional "princess", but they weren't the norm.

IF the other barn will be a good fit for your daughter (regarding the trainer, the quality of the barn, the distance you have to travel, etc.), I would probably go ahead and change. I doubt very seriously that having a talk will make much difference.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #188
hinodis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I hate to say change barns too, but I don't see any benefit in your daughter having to put up with this junk either. You know, one of the things that I've always liked about the horses was that we saw very little of this kind of behavior. For the most part, the girls got along very well at both of the trainers we used. There was the occasional "princess", but they weren't the norm.

IF the other barn will be a good fit for your daughter (regarding the trainer, the quality of the barn, the distance you have to travel, etc.), I would probably go ahead and change. I doubt very seriously that having a talk will make much difference.
That was sorta my feeling too. I feel so bad because we just love this trainer. The trainer really does not want her to leave.....but is it for love or money?? I don't forsee the girls behavior changing either. I think it would only be a matter of time and they would be even worse. One of them is quite the little princess and her mother is even worse. They think they own the barn. The trainer has actually had to talk to the mother because she was causing problems among the adults.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #189
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That was sorta my feeling too. I feel so bad because we just love this trainer. The trainer really does not want her to leave.....but is it for love or money?? I don't forsee the girls behavior changing either. I think it would only be a matter of time and they would be even worse. One of them is quite the little princess and her mother is even worse. They think they own the barn. The trainer has actually had to talk to the mother because she was causing problems among the adults.
I'm not sure how your barn works, or the details of anyone there obviously, but if you were to tell your trainer that you have decided to leave because of all of this nonsense would she have the authority (or could at least pow wow with someone who does) to have the troublesome parent/child be 'evicted?' If there have been issues with the mother/child before maybe this would be the push they needed to ask them to board elsewhere.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #190
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

This is so timely. You all know I am a trainer. I have this nonsense going on right now. It's part of why I detest facebook (and now youtube). I found out the girls were texting and posting some really terrible things.

I thought about doing a "sit-down" with the kids, but you know what? I AM NOT THEIR PARENTS. I have no real power and it isn't my place to intervene. In most cases I alerted the parents to the existence of the postings/text and let them deal with it. My response to the kids has been that if it continues I will not allow them to hang out at the barn anymore. I don't need that drama or bad rep at my home.

I swear I am a free-babysitter.

I've already had one kid leave...to be honest, SHE was the trouble maker and it was a relief to see her go. But the kids were all various shades of guilty.

As for evicting riders/boarders etc. I REFUSE to take sides in meaningless squabbles over piddly-crap between kids. I also REFUSE to put myself in a financial tight-spot because kids are behaving poorly. The notion of me losing a boarder or other paying client because some kid is being a brat is beyond unacceptable to me.

Forget asking the trainer for help. She's running a business, not a sorority. Go to the parents of the offending kids and have them handle it.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #191
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
This is so timely. You all know I am a trainer. I have this nonsense going on right now. It's part of why I detest facebook (and now youtube). I found out the girls were texting and posting some really terrible things.

I thought about doing a "sit-down" with the kids, but you know what? I AM NOT THEIR PARENTS. I have no real power and it isn't my place to intervene. In most cases I alerted the parents to the existence of the postings/text and let them deal with it. My response to the kids has been that if it continues I will not allow them to hang out at the barn anymore. I don't need that drama or bad rep at my home.

I swear I am a free-babysitter.

I've already had one kid leave...to be honest, SHE was the trouble maker and it was a relief to see her go. But the kids were all various shades of guilty.

As for evicting riders/boarders etc. I REFUSE to take sides in meaningless squabbles over piddly-crap between kids. I also REFUSE to put myself in a financial tight-spot because kids are behaving poorly. The notion of me losing a boarder or other paying client because some kid is being a brat is beyond unacceptable to me.

Forget asking the trainer for help. She's running a business, not a sorority. Go to the parents of the offending kids and have them handle it.
That's kind of why I was asking if it was possible as the poster on the subject said the mother was causing trouble with the adults - so since it seems to be the whole package I thought it might be an option.

What would you do if an adult/child pair was also causing a stir (genuinely curious although it comes of snarky )
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #192
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
That's kind of why I was asking if it was possible as the poster on the subject said the mother was causing trouble with the adults - so since it seems to be the whole package I thought it might be an option.

What would you do if an adult/child pair was also causing a stir (genuinely curious although it comes of snarky )
Depends. What kind of trouble are they causing? For the most part, I don't fight battles. If any adult/child is causing a problem with another child I suggest the parent of the child handle it.

I am the MacGuyver of my barn. I'm very good at defusing volatile situations and keeping everyone happy.

People need to be aware that the barn is a business. It is the trainer's source of income. When you start nonsense, engage in nonsense, or allow your child to do so, you run the risk of possibly ruining someone's LIVING.

If I lose a boarder ($350 a month in income) because a kid is being a brat, in that case you'd better believe the parents would get both barrels full of me and booted from the farm.

In my business, reputation is everything. I can't allow drama to engulf my farm or else it will quickly become known as "the farm where the kids are all punks" or "the farm where there is always drama", and it will make it harder to get new clients.

This rep thing works both ways. Your rep as a boarder or student will follow you for the rest of your life. If you are snarky, difficult to please, or unpleasant, you better believe EVERY other barn in a 50 mile radius knows about you. It will make relocating to another farm very difficult.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #193
hinodis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Depends. What kind of trouble are they causing? For the most part, I don't fight battles. If any adult/child is causing a problem with another child I suggest the parent of the child handle it.

I am the MacGuyver of my barn. I'm very good at defusing volatile situations and keeping everyone happy.

People need to be aware that the barn is a business. It is the trainer's source of income. When you start nonsense, engage in nonsense, or allow your child to do so, you run the risk of possibly ruining someone's LIVING.

If I lose a boarder ($350 a month in income) because a kid is being a brat, in that case you'd better believe the parents would get both barrels full of me and booted from the farm.

In my business, reputation is everything. I can't allow drama to engulf my farm or else it will quickly become known as "the farm where the kids are all punks" or "the farm where there is always drama", and it will make it harder to get new clients.

This rep thing works both ways. Your rep as a boarder or student will follow you for the rest of your life. If you are snarky, difficult to please, or unpleasant, you better believe EVERY other barn in a 50 mile radius knows about you. It will make relocating to another farm very difficult.
Just to clarify, the trainer is the barn owner. My board is $510 a month. So, double that for the trouble making mother daughter...they spend alot more money then I do, as the daughter shows every weekend which is more $ in the trainers pocket. My DD has not even responded to the nasty text messages. She did however save them. Parents have alll been told about what their kids are doing, so no change there.I am very sad the whole thing has happened, these girls used to be such good friends and it all started because DD wanted to be friends with someone new. DD is away at camp right now and the trainer asked if I would bring her in for a sit down with all the girls...no parents. Not sure I will be doing that.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #194
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Just to clarify, the trainer is the barn owner. My board is $510 a month. So, double that for the trouble making mother daughter...they spend alot more money then I do, as the daughter shows every weekend which is more $ in the trainers pocket. My DD has not even responded to the nasty text messages. She did however save them. Parents have alll been told about what their kids are doing, so no change there.I am very sad the whole thing has happened, these girls used to be such good friends and it all started because DD wanted to be friends with someone new. DD is away at camp right now and the trainer asked if I would bring her in for a sit down with all the girls...no parents. Not sure I will be doing that.
The trainer doesn't want to lose anyone's business, I'm sure. In the case you are describing, it sounds like it's unavoidable. I would be willing to bet she'll never kick out mom and daughter. Too much money at stake.

Have you spoken to the mother/daughter duo? What can the trainer say to them that would make a big difference? Stop fighting? Everyone play nice? She really has no power.

The girls are at "that" age. The kiddos in my barn got along WONDERFULLY...until they hit 11/12/13. Now they fight constantly. The only thing that helped was 1. Some got older, 2. Some left or 3. I threatened all of them with taking away their "hang out" privileges (they don't own horses). If you go to a new barn, it's likely you'll encounter similar problems with other girls. The nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

One girl used to fight constantly with another. Now they are best friends. I mean BEST! It's so crazy.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #195
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
It's been happening quite a bit down here, too. The riding school we frequent has adopted a few new horses that way, as well as a bunny, rooster, dog and many cats. We're a heavily populated suburb (read: SPRAWL), with a few residential neighborhoods still zoned for livestock. So our barn is literally in the middle of a typical suburban neighborhood - apparently it's easier for folks to send their unwanted pets there than the SPCA or rescue orgs? Good thing the riding school is also part of a small private school and run by a lovely lady who manages to find homes there or elsewhere for all her drop-ins.
sadly its going to continue to happen, the local animal shelter wants $100 per dog/cat surrender fee even the humane society and spca are requiring money to turn over animals, if I ever wake up and there is another animal out there I would have to call in a stray..this ark is already full.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: