Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #166
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Hi horse people. This past weekend DH found a lose horse. It was running down the road. Poor little thing was so scared. He stopped as did several others. They were able to approach and thankfully the horse had a harness on so it was easy to hold and was very gentle. Really sounds like that beauty was frightened and was so happy to have someone guide it home.
Although it wasn't actually home. The cops came and a local rescue took the horse until they could locate the owner. Are horses microchipped? Like dogs? Poor family must be worried I hope they are all reunited soon.
Sometimes. It's a good idea to do it. If your horse is ever stolen or lost and ends up at an auction, they scan the horses going through the sale for a chip.

Escapes happen. Many horses are very crafty at getting out of their stalls or pastures. I have one that jumped a 5 1/2' fence to make a run for it.

When I was a kid, I was hanging out at the barn with my horse when a horse comes trotting up FULLY TACKED, but no rider. Apparently it had dumped its rider in the forest and gone running off. The rider was helmetless and had been knocked out. The mare was pregnant and hadn't been ridden in years. The guy yanked it out of the pasture, threw on a saddle and tried to go for a ride. Moron.

Hope the little dude your DH found gets home.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #167
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
A pre-purchase exam costs about $150 for the base exam, plus x-rays (about $20+ per pic).
Not sure about NH where maps is, but around here the barn call fee is over $60 before they even do anything. The last pre purchase done at the farm I work at was over $500 and it ended up in a dispute between the buyer and seller. And it was not that comprehensive - the usual vision, heart/lungs, flexion, I believe they pulled blood and did a few x rays. I know our prices are higher here, not sure about NH.

Quote:
Are horses microchipped?
They can be.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #168
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your thread a lot and all the pictures. It brings back years of memories of all that we ever did and all the things we begged our parents for.
I'd love to post some pictures sometime.
We just went thru about 30 years of horse pictures and trophies to weed out what we wanted to keep. We sold our barn (airplane hanger size) and farm and downsized but it's fun to know that there are others who are taking up where we left off. It was fun being a newbie at one time.
Good luck with all your horse endeavors! The things that occur will leave you a lifetime of memories. Not all good but you'll laugh later!
Jenasis, we had a barn with 80 horses. The only thing I don't miss is breaking water in January in the broodmare barn. the show barn had automatic waters. Have to ask about the Buckeye signiture. (I think it was yours) Congress person?
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #169
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
Not sure about NH where maps is, but around here the barn call fee is over $60 before they even do anything. The last pre purchase done at the farm I work at was over $500 and it ended up in a dispute between the buyer and seller. And it was not that comprehensive - the usual vision, heart/lungs, flexion, I believe they pulled blood and did a few x rays. I know our prices are higher here, not sure about NH.

That's cause you're in Northern Jersey! I remember the days of ridiculously priced vet visits when I lived on Long Island. Now in NC I can get the top vet in the region out to my farm for $40, or trailer my horse to his state-of-the-art clinic for free (just pay for the exam). I'm also 2 hours from NC State! Bonus! But yeah, here a PPE is $150 (plus farm call) for the base exam, and then x-rays get added on. I prefer trailering in to the clinic for PPE's since I don't have to pay for the farm call and the vet does digital x-rays (better quality and no paying for "bad shots".)

That said, one of my students had a horse vetted last month (it failed) and paid about $400+. And that was at the clinic so not even including a farm call! But we took a boat-load of x-rays. Thanks God, because it was a 5 year old who looked sound as a pound and was perfect in every way...except the major degenerative joint disease and bone spurs in both front feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelleatheart View Post
I am enjoying your thread a lot and all the pictures. It brings back years of memories of all that we ever did and all the things we begged our parents for.
I'd love to post some pictures sometime.
We just went thru about 30 years of horse pictures and trophies to weed out what we wanted to keep. We sold our barn (airplane hanger size) and farm and downsized but it's fun to know that there are others who are taking up where we left off. It was fun being a newbie at one time.
Good luck with all your horse endeavors! The things that occur will leave you a lifetime of memories. Not all good but you'll laugh later!
Jenasis, we had a barn with 80 horses. The only thing I don't miss is breaking water in January in the broodmare barn. the show barn had automatic waters. Have to ask about the Buckeye signiture. (I think it was yours) Congress person?
No Buckeye here. I;m in NC.

ETA: I am having a horse vetted next week for my student (the Appendix mare I mentioned a few pages back). They agreed on an offer. Very cool! Now we pray for an uneventful pre-purchase exam. The horse is being dropped off Friday afternoon for a week's trial period and to be vetted.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #170
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's cause you're in Northern Jersey! I remember the days of ridiculously priced vet visits when I lived on Long Island. Now in NC I can get the top vet in the region out to my farm for $40, or trailer my horse to his state-of-the-art clinic for free (just pay for the exam). I'm also 2 hours from NC State! Bonus! But yeah, here a PPE is $150 (plus farm call) for the base exam, and then x-rays get added on. I prefer trailering in to the clinic for PPE's since I don't have to pay for the farm call and the vet does digital x-rays (better quality and no paying for "bad shots".)

lol, yes I know we are expensive here and it is a regional thing. Just wanted maps to know that.

Yeah, we have sent horses up to Cornell or down to UPenn (New Bolton) for more extensive exams. We've had some doozies of diagnosis's. The most disappointing one is a very well bred, very talented warmblood our trainer and BO imported from Germany as a 5 year old for a LOT of money. Three years later he is a very expensive lawn ornament with suspensory disease. He was thoroughly vetted with the trainer there before the deal was made. But this would not show on a normal pre purchase. They did plenty of x rays, but since he was only 5, I don't think they ultrasounded the ligaments. And they may not have found it at that point anyway, even if they had ultrasounded.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #171
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi horse people. This past weekend DH found a lose horse. It was running down the road. Poor little thing was so scared. He stopped as did several others. They were able to approach and thankfully the horse had a harness on so it was easy to hold and was very gentle. Really sounds like that beauty was frightened and was so happy to have someone guide it home.
Although it wasn't actually home. The cops came and a local rescue took the horse until they could locate the owner. Are horses microchipped? Like dogs? Poor family must be worried I hope they are all reunited soon.
I'm glad they were able to secure the horse before it was injured and/or caused injury to someone else.

I wanted to add that while the horse probably did escape from his/her pasture, there have been a lot of problems with people just turning their horses loose. We had one show up in our pasture last summer and have friends that had the same thing happen.

Last edited by horseshowmom; 08-11-2010 at 08:22 AM.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #172
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I'm glad they were able to secure the horse before it was injured and/or caused injury to someone else.

I wanted to add that while the horse probably did escape from his/her pasture, there have been a lot of problems with people just turning their horses lose. We had one show up in our pasture last summer and have friends that had the same thing happen.

When the economy first tanked i was petrified each morning that I was going to wake up and find a strange horse left in my front yard. It's happened to a few people.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #173
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Horse Insurance...

Somebody please put info here or PM me with a company. I have been looking in the back of all the "horse" magazines and online and haven't done it because I need help with this. Example: they ask for value of the horse for mortality insurance. to me Maxine is pricless of course BUT how do you insure value? she's a quarterhorse/arabian she's 5 y/o what do they cover? all help appreciated

Ruthie

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #174
maps
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm setting up a visit with the horse and my daughter's trainer. I'm looking into a vet but have no idea what the cost would be.
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #175
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Somebody please put info here or PM me with a company. I have been looking in the back of all the "horse" magazines and online and haven't done it because I need help with this. Example: they ask for value of the horse for mortality insurance. to me Maxine is pricless of course BUT how do you insure value? she's a quarterhorse/arabian she's 5 y/o what do they cover? all help appreciated

Ruthie
We use Independent Equine, but there is also Markel, Best, Lloyd's of London and a few others. I can PM you our insurance agent at Independent Equine for a quote. The "value" of your horse is fair market value. If you were to sell her what would you ask for her? Or better yet if she, God-forbid, died, what would it cost to replace her with a horse of comparable skill and ability? If you aren't sure, try looking at the for-sale ads on www.dreamhorse.com or www.equine.com and plug in the attributes your horse has (age, gender, breed, skills) and see what other horses like her are going for.

I alwys say my horse has several prices...the price he is worth, and the price I would be willing to part with him for. Two very different numbers, the latter of which I am not sure even Donald Trump would cough up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maps View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm setting up a visit with the horse and my daughter's trainer. I'm looking into a vet but have no idea what the cost would be.
The barn your DD rides at should have a vet they use. You can have the trainer or barn manager put you in touch with them (or let the trainer set it all up, like I just did for my student. Her horse arrives Friday for a 1 week trial and I have the pre-purchase exam scheduled for Tuesday. The student will likely not even be there for the exam and I will be responsible for over-seeing it).
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #176
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We use Independent Equine, but there is also Markel, Best, Lloyd's of London and a few others. I can PM you our insurance agent at Independent Equine for a quote. The "value" of your horse is fair market value. If you were to sell her what would you ask for her? Or better yet if she, God-forbid, died, what would it cost to replace her with a horse of comparable skill and ability? If you aren't sure, try looking at the for-sale ads on www.dreamhorse.com or www.equine.com and plug in the attributes your horse has (age, gender, breed, skills) and see what other horses like her are going for.

I alwys say my horse has several prices...the price he is worth, and the price I would be willing to part with him for. Two very different numbers, the latter of which I am not sure even Donald Trump would cough up.
If you still have my e-mail address can you send your agents info? What she is worth I have no idea, I know what her adoption fee was about $1000.
As far as skill (I haven't finished my story telling all about it) but she is NOT under saddle and her skill and talent is consuming groceries seriously what I'm looking for is God forbd she needed colic or other surgery or worst ..a policy that would cover major medical and God forbid...final costs....she is the only horse I have ever had and God forbid....did I say God forbid ...I wouldn't even have another...I'm no kid chance are she will outlive me...but......anything major financially is what I'm looking for...

I also know in this economy especially that a horse that is not under saddle...and has only had ground work, no matter how sweet she is at 5 y/o isn't worth very much...except maybe to the dealers that would have something else in mind for her weight....which is exactly how/why she was rescued in the first place........

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #177
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Quote:
Sometimes. It's a good idea to do it. If your horse is ever stolen or lost and ends up at an auction, they scan the horses going through the sale for a chip.

Escapes happen. Many horses are very crafty at getting out of their stalls or pastures. I have one that jumped a 5 1/2' fence to make a run for it.
I don't think mine would ever try to escape, because that would take her away from her precious grass. She's really a hog in a horse costume.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #178
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
I don't think mine would ever try to escape, because that would take her away from her precious grass. She's really a hog in a horse costume.
One time my horse (who follows me around like a dog and lives for his meals) managed to run through the pasture gate while DH was bringing in another horse. He took off like a shot, screaming his fool head off (like "I'm free...FREE I tell you!"). The idgit got about halfway down the street before he skidded to a halt, looked behind him and realized NONE of his buddies had made a run for it with him. I guess their big escape plan was all talk and he was the only one with the wontons to go through with it (I bet someone dared him). So he hung his head in shame, turned around and trudged home like a big mope. I just stood in the driveway watching him and holding his halter, tapping my foot. He looked so ashamed when he walked right up to me and butted his head on me and stuck his face out for his halter.

Lucky I love that fool.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #179
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
When the economy first tanked i was petrified each morning that I was going to wake up and find a strange horse left in my front yard. It's happened to a few people.
It's been happening quite a bit down here, too. The riding school we frequent has adopted a few new horses that way, as well as a bunny, rooster, dog and many cats. We're a heavily populated suburb (read: SPRAWL), with a few residential neighborhoods still zoned for livestock. So our barn is literally in the middle of a typical suburban neighborhood - apparently it's easier for folks to send their unwanted pets there than the SPCA or rescue orgs? Good thing the riding school is also part of a small private school and run by a lovely lady who manages to find homes there or elsewhere for all her drop-ins.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #180
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post

Ruthie
We used Markel (although I'm sure the others are just as good) and had to list everything the horse had won to substantiate the value (in our case, breed show awards/points).
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: