Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #151
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samshane View Post
What a great thread... not horseowners BUT we just started our first horse lease this month. DD11 has been taking lessons for over a year now and the opportunity came up through her instructor and we took it. She loves it - and I love the fact that we don't own the horse. Actually headed off for her to ride shortly...

But DD has been very lucky - her 5th grade teacher called us a month ago and offered DD a bunch of horse tack for free. Including a saddle - which according to her instructor is a very, very nice saddle. She wouldn't take any money for it - just wanted to clean out her garage. DD uses it on "her" horse and loves it.

Maybe one day - but we don't have the property for a horse and it is SO expensive to own one! LOL! The lease for us is at least affordable... and DH is okay with it - though I don't know if he'll ever be up for ownership (or if I will either!).

Welcome and this is your club too! Congratulations to you and your DD. I got lucky too with the horse tack, someone at the barn in NY really took me under her wing and gave us a saddle too. I almost fell over when I realized how expensive those things are. I'm sure I speak for everyone here can't wait to see pictures from you too

Ruthie
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #152
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

It's so hot today! And I've got 3 hours worth of lessons ahead of me. I don't know who I feel worse for, me or my horses. At least the kids hose the horses down after each lesson. Me? I get nuthin'!

One of my adult students has been horse shopping for a few months now, and after kissing MANY many frogs, and having a few fail the pre-purchase exam, we may have found Mr. Right...or in this case, Mrs. Right! A lovely Appendix mare. We are waiting to see if the owner will accept her offer and then the horse will come to my farm for a one week trial so we can have it vetted. Exciting!
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #153
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
It's so hot today! And I've got 3 hours worth of lessons ahead of me. I don't know who I feel worse for, me or my horses. At least the kids hose the horses down after each lesson. Me? I get nuthin'!

One of my adult students has been horse shopping for a few months now, and after kissing MANY many frogs, and having a few fail the pre-purchase exam, we may have found Mr. Right...or in this case, Mrs. Right! A lovely Appendix mare. We are waiting to see if the owner will accept her offer and then the horse will come to my farm for a one week trial so we can have it vetted. Exciting!
Well you could always run naked through a sprinkler maybe not.

Good luck Mrs Right...exciting!

I just sent the info to you the subject line will read-re:Jumbo the forms were an attachment so I just sent the whole thing over

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 08-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #154
maps
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion of boarding prior to having the horse on site. We'll probably do that for a year at least and then, who knows?

Now, onto finding the right horse. I have no idea how this works and what I'm supposed to be looking for. My husband gave my poor daughter the challenge of finding a horse for $500 or less ( I think he did this on purpose to make it more difficult!).

Any suggestions for horse hunting?

TIA
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #155
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maps View Post
Well, I am a horse novice. My daughter has been taking lessons for about a year and has fallen in love. Now, of course, she wants her own horse.

We have 13 acres so my husband wants to keep it on our property.

I have no idea where to even start looking into this so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
My perspective is a little different than some that you have been given (although their advice is also applicable). Our daughter got her first horse when she was 10. She hadn't had lessons (we live in a very rural area). We did however have friends who were horse knowledgeable and excellent vets.

We asked around our friends and a friend told us that he had an excellent horse for our daughter. He was 3 - not normally what I would suggest for a beginner, but this horse was exceptionally calm and well mannered (had been ridden in a parade the previous Christmas).

We brought him home, and she learned to ride on him. They were an excellent match. There was a lot to be said for having him easily available there at our house. Nobody had to take her somewhere to ride, and she rode constantly.

She quickly moved into showing, and it was always easy to work her horses because they were right there.

A few points:
If you have your horse at home, make sure you have very good fences. It's NO fun having a horse out (always check your fence regularly - particularly after a storm).

You'll also need some form of shelter and a place to store hay/feed.

As mentioned before, horses are herd animals, and two is definitely better than one. You might consider a rescue horse (we've done that), but be sure you can handle any special needs they might have (often none at all).

When our daughter got heavily involved in showing, we had a dozer come in and a dump truck haul sand to prepare a work out pen to protect the horses.

What you plan to do with the horse is very important (trail riding for fun or horse showing; English, Western, or a combination). As mentioned before, your trainer is a great first step in looking for a horse. Also, if you have an active 4-H group in your area, check with them. I know of several horses who have changed hands because the owner had gone to college, and the family's primary desire was that the horse go to a good family. Your vet could also be a good resource.

Good luck with your journey! We loved the years we spent involved with our horses (still have everybody in the pasture) and look forward to DD finishing college and getting back into the show arena!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #156
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Love the pics everyone!!!!

Quote:
Well, I am a horse novice. My daughter has been taking lessons for about a year and has fallen in love. Now, of course, she wants her own horse.

We have 13 acres so my husband wants to keep it on our property.

I have no idea where to even start looking into this so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

One of these Pony Club books would be a good way to start for learning basic horse ownership information (highly agree about boarding first though)....

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-...12530&sr=8-1#_
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #157
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
My daily stress is usually caused by horses.
Mine, too! *Sigh* Sometimes I look forward to a "horse free" day.

maps ~ I would also recommend leasing a horse at a barn before buying and keeping one at home if your family has little or no experience with horses (I think Jennasis also mentioned leasing). Your DD's instructor may know of horses available for lease. Having a horse at home is a huge commitment - you (or someone) must be available to feed at least twice a day every day, 365 days. There are no holidays, vacations, or sick days unless you can get someone in to help you. Stalls need to be cleaned every day. You have to get hay in, you have to get feed and shavings or straw. There are always repairs that need to be done. Horses often choose the most inconvenient times to colic, slice themselves open, run a fever, get an abscess, etc. These are events that need immediate attention.

Perhaps your daughter can spend additional time at the barn where she rides, helping out with chores and just being around to see how a day goes in a barn and all the things it entails. You would have to have the approval of the owner or barn manager so that there would be supervision. There is SO much to learn! Maybe you could have her join a local 4-H club or Pony Club where she would also learn more about horses and their care.

Horses are a great activity to keep kids centered because they do require so much care and attention. My daughter had very little time and no desire to get into trouble!
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #158
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion of boarding prior to having the horse on site. We'll probably do that for a year at least and then, who knows?

Now, onto finding the right horse. I have no idea how this works and what I'm supposed to be looking for. My husband gave my poor daughter the challenge of finding a horse for $500 or less ( I think he did this on purpose to make it more difficult!).

Any suggestions for horse hunting?

TIA
Sweet googa mooga! $500? Well, suggestion the first would be to save more money. It isn't that a good horse can't be found for $500 or less (almost all of the horses we have for our Special Olympic team were free...donated to the program), it's just exceptionally difficult to do so.

A $500 horse is likely to have "baggage". What's that mean? Training issues, health issues, or very old or very young. Training issues could be anything from "ain't never been ridden, to rears/bucks/etc", and health issues could ultimately cost you WELL into the thousands trying to maintain it sound (arthritis, ring-bone side-bone, a history of colic, ulcers, founder, navicular etc). A very young or "green" horse is never a good choice for novice rider owner. The poster above was very lucky to have found a 3 year old that was as safe for her DD as it was, but that is the exception to the rule. We have a saying in horses Green+Green=black and blue (ie, a green inexperienced horse with a green inexperienced rider will result in one or both getting hurt badly).

The cheapest part of owning a horse is purchasing the horse.

If all you can spend is $500, consider adopting a horse from a rescue. Keep in mind most rescues charge $500-$1000 in adoption fees (but they are negotiable many times). And DO NOT horse shop yourself. Let your DD's instructor do the leg work. I am currently having a dickens of a time trying to find a horse for $1000 MAX for one of my super talented students. I finally convinced the parents to hold off for a few months and save up a bit more cash. Your DD's instructor can weed out the problem horses (training-wise, health0wise etc) and find you a suitable match.

I always suggest major medical/surgical coverage for all my boarders. A yearly policy costs about $250-$400 and will cover major medical issues like broken legs, colic surgery etc. It's one of those things you don't need until you NEED it, and then if you need it and don't have it, you can't get it (i.e if your horse colics, no insurance company will touch you with a ten foot pole, but if you have coverage, you won't have to shell out the $8,000 for surgery and your horse will still be covered afterwards).
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #159
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

I've got to agree with Jennasis. $500 is going to make your search very difficult unless you find someone like I mentioned who primarily wants the horse to go to a good home. Even our daughter's first horse was $800, and that was 13 years ago and from a good friend.

I also agree that there are lots of people out there who are perfectly willing to sell a dangerous or unsound horse and/or lie about the horse's background. I know of someone who "thought" they knew how to find what they wanted (with very little horse experience). Apparently, the horse they went to try had been sedated (making him seem very calm and docile). When they got him home, all of that wore off. They eventually sold him and lost a lot of money. All of the horses I have ever bought, I utilized more knowledgeable people. Always do a vet check too.

One thing I tell people who ask me about getting into horses is that this is not an inexpensive proposition. It's been cheaper for me because we keep our horses at home, but it's still expensive. I saw a T-shirt one time that said, "The fastest way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large fortune." That about sums it up.

ETA: I do want to add that it was/is all worth it. My daughter got a lot more from horses than just learning to ride a horse - much, much more (including her now husband! ).
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #160
Poppinsme
I LOVE SMILEYS

Just wanted to say This is great!!!
A horse thread.
Thanks Luvchefmic!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #161
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Knock knock - may I come in, too?! Not a horse owner, or even a leaser. ~sigh~ And right now, no one's even taking lessons. I've always loved horses, but never had opportunities to do more than the occasional trail ride on my uncle's ancient, blind pony growing up. A few summers ago, my son decided to try a local summer camp that was a horse and barn camp - he loved it! That led to him taking weekly lessons... which soon led to me taking weekly lessons.

Unfortunately, the economy hit my wallet and I had to stop lessons for me for a while, and my son decided to stop for a while in favor of pursuing karate. He's allowed to do both, but doesn't want to. We haven't figured it out yet; he did get tossed and has been pretty nervous since, but rode after the fall, so I'm not sure about that, either. He still loves horses and when it's not blazing hot here in FL, he spends Sat. mornings at the barn club, where they care for the horses and other livestock. He still won't ride, but walks the younger kids while they ride. He's 8 and very small for his age - maybe he just needs a break and a growth spurt?!

Anyway, here's us:

My DS on one of his favorite lesson horses, Sunny.

Me and my friend's gigantic AQH Tanker.

Here's hoping we get our rides back on soon! Till then, I'm enjoying all of your tales so much!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #162
maps
DIS Veteran

I can't believe this!

We have an opportunity for a horse with this info:

16 hand Dark Bay Thoroughbred Mare, no papers, current coggins, Walk/trot/canter, good on trails, needs balance in the ring. Very quiet, easy to handle, on and off the trailer super easy, clips and crossties, good in the pasture, never touched a fence. Good with other horses, very submissive. Super sweet mare, very willing. Would make perfect horse for advanced beginner, perfect 4-H project!

The owner says she is willing to let the horse go for $600 because she got another horse and doesn't want to have to pay for boarding for 2.

She mentioned 2 issues:
1. She needs to work on balance in the ring
2. She gets an abcess in her hoof every once in awhile

I have no idea what this means!

I have a call into my daugther's trainer so she can come out with us and see the horse.

What specific info should I be asking? Does this sound like a good prospect?

Thanks for your help.

Oh, by the way, we would be boarding this horse
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #163
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I don't have horses (anymore), but I still want to play!!

My dad still has an ex pacer named Bunny that he trail rides and sometimes uses with a buggy for weddings and such. She seems like a pushover to me (I learned on Arabs mostly), but she's got my husband's number. He can't tell any large animal what to do.

I miss riding a lot, but with our schedules even if I had the money to keep one I wouldn't have the time to devote to its training and fitness. Sigh... I've got a basement full of equipment though, for someday....maybe our kids will be interested....I hope so....

Quote:

I have a call into my daugther's trainer so she can come out with us and see the horse.

Well, the abcess means that she gets an open wound periodically in her hoof. Think a recurring cut under your fingernail. It's not serious, and it's treatable, but she can't be ridden when it happens. The "lacks balance in the ring", I dunno. I would take that to mean the horse needs some specific muscle training (like she favors one lead over the other), but that's not something you'd generally bother to tell an 'advanced beginner'.

What should you ask? Anything you can about it's history. Has it been bred before? How sucessfully? What seats has it been trained to (if any)? Jumps? Competition? Halter? What are its idiosyncracies? They aren't necessarily bad or insurmountable. I knew the sweetest, most easy-going quater-horse you ever saw, but he was a barn stormer (runs back to the barn when excited). I didn't know that, though, and put a novice on him and went out on the trail. How does it bathe/clip/tolerate vets/tolerate shoeing?

Here's a biggie: Get it vet checked (can I stress that one again?). My dad didn't listen when I told him to get his first horse vet checked and then was all angry when he had a bunch of vet bills later on.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #164
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
I can't believe this!

We have an opportunity for a horse with this info:

16 hand Dark Bay Thoroughbred Mare, no papers, current coggins, Walk/trot/canter, good on trails, needs balance in the ring. Very quiet, easy to handle, on and off the trailer super easy, clips and crossties, good in the pasture, never touched a fence. Good with other horses, very submissive. Super sweet mare, very willing. Would make perfect horse for advanced beginner, perfect 4-H project!

The owner says she is willing to let the horse go for $600 because she got another horse and doesn't want to have to pay for boarding for 2.

She mentioned 2 issues:
1. She needs to work on balance in the ring
2. She gets an abcess in her hoof every once in awhile

Thanks for your help.

Oh, by the way, we would be boarding this horse

How old is the mare?

Is the mare tattooed? If she is a TB and raced, she'll have a lip tattoo which can be looked up to tell you her exact age (and name and race history).

I really can't tell you if the mare sounds good or not (without seeing pics or video and without knowing anything about your DD's riding skills). Your trainer is the best one to consult here.

Work on "balance in the ring" tells me that the horse likely lugs on the rider, leans on your hands, especially in the corners and at speeder gaits like the canter.

An abscess is an infection...sort of like a pimple or a boil, in the hoof. VERY painful, but treatable. Your horse cannot be ridden when they have one and they require specific care to ensure the abscess expresses itself properly and heals. A horse who abscesses regularly implies "bad" feet, but many thoroughbreds have "bad" feet. A competent farrier should be able to help you keep your horse's feet in optimal shape and properly shod.

I never ever ever buy a horse (or accept one for free) without a veterinary pre-purchase exam. A vet will come out and examine the horse for underlying lameness/unsoundness and overall health. The vet should be able to tell you if the horse is physically suitable for the work you want to do with it (jumping, dressage, trails etc). It should include a flex test and possibly a set of hoof x-rays, as well as hock x-rays and films of any other joint or area that tests positive during the flex test.

A pre-purchase exam costs about $150 for the base exam, plus x-rays (about $20+ per pic).
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #165
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Hi horse people. This past weekend DH found a lose horse. It was running down the road. Poor little thing was so scared. He stopped as did several others. They were able to approach and thankfully the horse had a harness on so it was easy to hold and was very gentle. Really sounds like that beauty was frightened and was so happy to have someone guide it home.
Although it wasn't actually home. The cops came and a local rescue took the horse until they could locate the owner. Are horses microchipped? Like dogs? Poor family must be worried I hope they are all reunited soon.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: