Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

World Cup 2014 - Who's excited for it?

Our family is looking forward to it starting up today!

Got the DVR set to record today's Brazil game and we've got a viewing party set next weekend to go watch the USA-Portugal game. I don't know how many games we'll watch over the next few weeks, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of them with my boys -- they learn so much just from watching all the different styles of teams.

Not sure if the US has a chance to move out of their Group (of Death), but I'm always optimistic.

Anyone else watching?
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Yeah...now what is that?

Register to remove

Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
Our family is looking forward to it starting up today!

Got the DVR set to record today's Brazil game and we've got a viewing party set next weekend to go watch the USA-Portugal game. I don't know how many games we'll watch over the next few weeks, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of them with my boys -- they learn so much just from watching all the different styles of teams.

Not sure if the US has a chance to move out of their Group (of Death), but I'm always optimistic.

Anyone else watching?
I'm just a casual, every four years, soccer fan. Hopefully the US will advance out of the first round. But that's the best I can hope for. Ghana is in the same group, which scares me.

Jim
LBIJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Ismo
Mouseketeer

I'll be watching! My brother and his family are HUGE soccer fans in general. We love the NY Red Bulls and they all play soccer.

My DH is from London and I was in London for the past 2 World Cups, so I'm looking forward to be in the the States this time. I won't be outnumbered rooting for the US!

We are going to an "English Pub" in the area to watch England vs. Italy on Saturday. And there will also be a few viewing parties for the US games I'm sure.

Can't wait! It will be tough to get out of the group, but I'm not giving up hope just yet!

09/03/14 - Official DVC Members at GF!!!
Poly w/Family - 09/03 - 09/14 '95
POR w/DH & Family - Arcadian - 03/23 - 03/30 '13
POR w/DH & Family - Oak - 08/15 - 08/23 '14
Ismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
I'm just a casual, every four years, soccer fan. Hopefully the US will advance out of the first round. But that's the best I can hope for. Ghana is in the same group, which scares me.
Jim
What really should scare you is Germany and Portugal are also in our group. That makes beating Ghana almost a necessity.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I'm looking forward to it. My teams are US (of course), then Spain, and then Germany. I have DIS friends from the Netherlands, so rooting for them, too, unless they play the above countries.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
What really should scare you is Germany and Portugal are also in our group. That makes beating Ghana almost a necessity.
I agree. I think they almost have to have a win against Ghana and probably get at least a tie out of Portugal. Many are saying they could have lucked out in scheduling, though, in that they at least play Germany last. It's possible that Germany could have the group locked up by the third game, which could mean the US might get a Germany team that is resting some players and/or looking ahead to the Round of 16.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Goofy101798
Earning My Ears

I'm very excited!! I support Italy, but I think Argentina wins the cup. They'd like nothing better than to win it in Brazil. Italy & the US will have a hard time making it out of their respective groups. !! FORZA ITALIA !!
Goofy101798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
moon
DIS Veteran

Me! Me!

I'm so excited! I can't wait!!!
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
Like I said, I only watch casually every four years. I know little to nothing about Germany and Portugal. I'm scared of Ghana because they beat the US the past two times. For all I know Ghana sucks this year.

Jim

Last edited by LBIJim; 06-12-2014 at 01:04 PM.
LBIJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
xlsm
Snow White

I'm the sports fan in our house and I'll usually catch a few games. My youngest DS started playing soccer last spring, and his current soccer camp coach has assigned today's game as "homework", lol.

My first trip report! Please join me! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3317206

xlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I hear most of the light rail extensions they were going to do aren't done, and some of the new stadiums aren't even done yet. Meanwhile, the poor are protesting. Sounds like a travesty waiting to happen if you ask me.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
I agree. I think they almost have to have a win against Ghana and probably get at least a tie out of Portugal. Many are saying they could have lucked out in scheduling, though, in that they at least play Germany last. It's possible that Germany could have the group locked up by the third game, which could mean the US might get a Germany team that is resting some players and/or looking ahead to the Round of 16.
Well if Germany already has the #1 locked, we might get an easier game. But keep in mind Germany is one of those teams where the parts are rather interchangeable. They don't have a Ronaldo where if he doesn't play, there is a huge drop off to everyone else on the field or to their second stringers.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I hear most of the light rail extensions they were going to do aren't done, and some of the new stadiums aren't even done yet. Meanwhile, the poor are protesting. Sounds like a travesty waiting to happen if you ask me.
Unfortunately, FIFA is so corrupt that it makes the IOC look like Girl Scouts.

Look no further than World Cup 2022 in Qatar as an example.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
Like I said, I only watch casually every four years. I know little to nothing about Germany and Portugal. I'm scared of Ghana because they beat the US the past two times. For all I know Ghana sucks this year.
Jim
Ghana isn't that good this year. We should beat em. But on any given day, anything can happen. I don't expect that we'll get out of the first round and would be ecstatic if we did. If we lose to Ghana, short of divine intervention, we're not getting out of the first round. We flat out aren't at the level of Germany, nor Portugal. But if we can get lucky, who knows? All that has to happen for us to advance is whip Ghana, tie the loser of Germany/Portugal, and get in on goal differential.

Last edited by Cannot_Wait_4Disney; 06-12-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: