Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

LASIK over age 50 - had it done!

I have been told by the optometrist and by the opthomologists' office that I will need reading glasses after my lasik surgery. It finally occurred to me that means my phone too! (duh!) So, to read texts, I will need to get out readers? With my contact lenses, I don't need readers. I know, I know, I'll check on Monday and see what they say. I guess I'm getting cold feet (surgery is scheduled for Thurs). I also need to ask about monovision, as that is what I am now. My right eye is my reading eye and my left is the distance eye.

*sigh* any experience from the older folks who have had lasik?

I had it done yesterday. So glad I called about monovision. They were happy to do it. I talked to the surgeon and he said I'm a good candidate for it. That lousy little 5 mg of valium didn't help much...could have used double that! The only discomfort was the placing of the eye-opening gadget - ouch! The ride home wasn't pleasant. When we got home, I ate a burger, took 3 advil and went to sleep. Best nap ever! I felt so much better.

Off to my one-day post-op appt.

Last edited by minniecarousel; 04-11-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: update
minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
I have been told by the optometrist and by the opthomologists' office that I will need reading glasses after my lasik surgery. It finally occurred to me that means my phone too! (duh!) So, to read texts, I will need to get out readers? With my contact lenses, I don't need readers. I know, I know, I'll check on Monday and see what they say. I guess I'm getting cold feet (surgery is scheduled for Thurs). I also need to ask about monovision, as that is what I am now. My right eye is my reading eye and my left is the distance eye.

*sigh* any experience from the older folks who have had lasik?
Hi there! I had LASIK 3 years ago, at 27. I was told that they could basically guarantee me perfect eyesight until I was about 50, then after I could require reading or other glasses, because my eyes will be aging, and the LSAIK can't correct that.

If you are already 50, that may be the case. But trust me, if your eyes are bad enough to the point that you would need LASIK, then you will truly appreciate the time that you DON'T have to wear the reading glasses even more.

I was VERY nervous about the surgery as well (took me 2 years after I could afford it to get up the nerve to do it), but the difference really is miraculous. I sat up 60 seconds after the procedure was finished and read the clock on the wall that said 3:37 pm. I hadn't been able to read numbers on a clock since I was 5! Good luck and enjoy your "new" eyes

AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
JillyBean1899
Shiny

LASIK changes the way images are focused. Reading glasses are needed because your eyes loose their elasticity (for lack of a better word ... maybe flexibility?) and can't focus on things up close. They can certainly set you for monovision just like the contacts you currently wear, but you need to tell them now, not wait until you get in there the morning of the surgery in case they need to do different measurements. I just had it done (2 weeks ago), and I'm 35, and I was told that I'll still need reading glasses eventually, just like I may need cataract surgery later. It's just a part of the eyes getting old.

Definitely call the doctor first thing in the morning and discuss these questions/concerns. These are your eyes you're messing around with, you want to make sure they're exactly the way you want them to be.

As for getting cold feet or being nervous ... that lasts right up until the Valium kicks in. Then you no longer care what they do to you Seriously, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was making it out to be in my head. A little uncomfortable and strange, sure, but no pain, definitely easier than getting a cavity filled.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
bittybabygrower
Mouseketeer

My eyes have settled out to "the perfect mono vision " according to my eye doc lol I had mine 8 years ago. If you choose not to go mono, reading glasses aren't so bad. I remember being so excited to be able to see across the room without glasses! You will love it! But talk to your doc
bittybabygrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
dimimi
DIS Veteran

i had lasik when I was 40. I know need readers, but only wear glasses to drive. It was the best decision I made. I do not wear glasses to read my texts.... I just set my text font larger!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

I had it down when I was 48. I was fine for a few years, now at 57 I've noticed I have been needing reading glasses for the past year.

I also had one eye corrected for distance and one for up close. I'm also noticing I need glasses for distance if I drive at night. (a very slight prescription, but needed nonetheless).

I'm still happy I had it done, there is no pain involved, but I'm thinking of calling to see if they can tweek my eyes again.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Just don't worry about pain, there is none!

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: