Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Ever had shingles?

If so, what were your symptoms leading up to the rash breakout (if any)? What was the location?

Last night I started getting this band of pain on my left side. It doesn't feel muscular, more topical feeling in nature.

Curious what your experience was.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
If so, what were your symptoms leading up to the rash breakout (if any)? What was the location?

Last night I started getting this band of pain on my left side. It doesn't feel muscular, more topical feeling in nature.

Curious what your experience was.
That is the exact feeling I had. Have you been feeling cranky, too?
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
That is the exact feeling I had. Have you been feeling cranky, too?
Not too cranky. Mostly a headache and sniffling a lot. I also have been breaking out in terrible sweats too for no reason. Did you end up with the rash? Where was yours?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Mine was on the right side. Supposedly shingles stays on one side. If u think u have it get your butt to the doctor tomorrow at the latest. I think you have 3 days to get meds otherwise your it out of luck.

Shingles was the most painful trying I have ever dealt with. At one point I was wishing was labor because it would have been less painful. Turns out I was pregnant.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

The shingles rash is often preceded by headaches and flu-like symptoms. Any sign of a rash in the area that is painful? You should see your doctor within 3 days of onset of symptoms to start antiviral therapy. The doctor may also prescribe pain killers and an ointment for the rash and blisters. You have my sympathy if you have this. A good friend had this recently and was absolutely miserable for weeks.

DH and I both got the shingles vaccine this year to hopefully avoid getting the disease. The vaccine isn't a guarantee, but it would at least result in a milder case if we do get it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Mokat76
DisKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomtoboys View Post
Mine was on the right side. Supposedly shingles stays on one side. If u think u have it get your butt to the doctor tomorrow at the latest. I think you have 3 days to get meds otherwise your it out of luck. Shingles was the most painful trying I have ever dealt with. At one point I was wishing was labor because it would have been less painful. Turns out I was pregnant.
I haven't but my neighbor had it this summer and it laid her out. She is usually so active. She calls this her lost summer because it truly was.
I echo what MnMom said. Get to a doctor NOW. DONT WAIT.
Mokat76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

I have no rash though so how would the Dr. be able to tell? Would they put me on meds based on a possibility? I'll give my Dr. a buzz in the morning about it, but I doubt they'll be able to get me in (VA). Probably will end up at urgent care if I go.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I had pain on my right side right about where the band of my bra rubs. It felt like sunburn but there was nothing there.

I had one small little itchy patch on my back that I just dismissed as dry skin. It was no bigger than a quarter.

The pain got really intense anytime my clothing even so much as brushed my right side.

I went to the doctor and as he examined me he found the small rash on my back and put it all together.

I felt like an idiot because I told him I must have gotten it from DH's cousin who had it shortly before they visited! I've since been educated.

I hope that if it IS shingles that you catch it early! I had a very mild case and the pain was BAD.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Mokat76
DisKat

My neighbor barely ever had any rash but the one sided severe pain with a few little rash like bumps were enough. If you can get to one of those quick clinics if VA can't see you timely, do it.
Mokat76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
The shingles rash is often preceded by headaches and flu-like symptoms. Any sign of a rash in the area that is painful? You should see your doctor within 3 days of onset of symptoms to start antiviral therapy. The doctor may also prescribe pain killers and an ointment for the rash and blisters. You have my sympathy if you have this. A good friend had this recently and was absolutely miserable for weeks.

DH and I both got the shingles vaccine this year to hopefully avoid getting the disease. The vaccine isn't a guarantee, but it would at least result in a milder case if we do get it.
Good luck OP - I sure hope you have something else (maybe contact dermatitis) but I agree you should get medical attention ASAP even if it is at a walk-in clinic.

For some reason, I am extremely paranoid about this ailment although I've never really known anyone who experienced it. Here in our Health Region, vaccine is only administered to people over the age of 50. Our Dr. has ordered a dose for DH but I'll be sitting here "unprotected" for another couple of years.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

You should also try to avoid being around those who are pregnant until your dr. confirms your dx.

My son had the singles and it was terrible and he was about 14. Its very painful. As others said get to the dr asap. We waited till it was too late because we didnt know the symptoms and he got the meds anyway but they really didnt help.

Also stress makes it worse too.

With your med. history I would see the dr. asap.

Wishing you all the best and hope you feel better soon.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

DH started out like that when he had shingles. One evening he asked me to look at his back. He thought maybe he had a boo-boo of some kind back there but I couldn't see anything. At 6am the next morning he woke me up crying because it hurt so bad. I lifted up his shirt and y'all prolly know what I saw--a string of small blistery bumps that went from this spine to around the front, like a string of pearls. I knew right away that it was shingles and got him to the doctor as soon as they opened. It was very painful the first 2 weeks, and then moderately sore for another 2 weeks. I attribute his relatively easy recovery to having gotten him on the anti-virals so quickly. I've known other people who had way worse experiences with shingles.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

See my small rash wasn't even in the area where my pain was nor did I have blisters. It looked like a small group of bug bites. It was below my right shoulder blade. The area that hurt was about two inches tall and went from my spine to my belly button, and like I said, right where my bra band is(only on the right side which is a telltale sign).

I wouldn't wait for a rash to develop OP.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Mine was a band on my left side. It was uncomfortable but not the agony I know others to have. I never got a full rash that I could see, my doctor said she saw it, though. Mine was in little red pinpricks. I was also told I had the easiest case my doc has seen in ages.

I was just really cranky and mean to people. I was very uncomfortable and I just felt an overall sense of disenchantment and melancholy.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Pamlur
newbies DO get tags!!

Mine went down my right arm; my arm hurt so badly and so deeply that I felt like I could snap it between my fingers. Then the burning, itching blisters started. I had it 25 years ago, and I still have scars on my arm.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: