Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #211
jaci-h
If you feel psycho dad needs a frozen coke over his head to cool off... you're a desperado.

Hulloooo my desperado friends. I'm bringing this thread back from the grave because well... I thought it'd be fun.

However I have some interesting news. Despite my personal preference of being a desperado... I have become a Disney Vacation Planner.

Now I get to plan commando trips for other people... and it makes me money.

So hapy 2012... any special desperado trips happen in the last year?

Oh and we're having a baby! I'm almost 14 weeks pregnant now

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
jaci-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #212
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci-h View Post
Hulloooo my desperado friends. I'm bringing this thread back from the grave because well... I thought it'd be fun.

However I have some interesting news. Despite my personal preference of being a desperado... I have become a Disney Vacation Planner.

Now I get to plan commando trips for other people... and it makes me money.

So hapy 2012... any special desperado trips happen in the last year?

Oh and we're having a baby! I'm almost 14 weeks pregnant now
First -- congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!

My last trip in September was so darn desperado laid back that we bypassed the World completely and just went to Vero Beach. Making up for that with two trips planned for this year.

Nice to see this thread resurrected!!! All those commando planners are making me tired!!

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #213
shalom
DIS Veteran

Congratulations, jaci-h! Little ones are natural Desperados, and you've got that down already, so you're good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I admit that I will do commando first thing in the morning. That usually entails two rides and a couple of fastpasses and then I'm done. If I dislike anything worse than too much planning, it's waiting in long lines.
Ditto. And I make rope drop, because I *like* to. I like that it's cool and quiet and uncrowded, and often get up early on vacations even when I'm not doing Disney to see the sunrise or whatever. But at the parks I hold back and let the mob up against the ropes move off and then drift in after them. By the time I wander down to my first ride, it's a walk on because the commandos have been and gone.

Hubby does not like getting up and going, so I'm looking forward to staying at Bonnet Creek, where I will simply abandon him in the mornings and let him take the bus in later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrkel View Post
But I have an "addiction" - to PLANNING - somehow planning makes the trip seem closer
IMHO it isn't the planning that makes you commando or desperado. I define myself as desperado, but I also plan like crazy. The difference is, my plans have quiet time built in ("Get to the MK for rope drop. Watch the show. Wait until the crowd disperses, then go looking for Lady and the Tramp's foot prints in front of Tony's..." ), and if we bail on them (which usually happens eventually, if not sooner), I don't care. It isn't the planning that makes the commando; it's the "We will follow the plan!" mentality.

Desperados may plan like crazy, but it's more of a very focused day dream on possibilities than a To Do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Whip View Post
That doesn't happen to Desperado's, no reason to jump from a leisure ship, and if the kids misbehave you can say:

"WE WILL LEAVE THIS PARK RIGHT NOW AND NOT COME BACK IF YOU KEEP THIS UP."
My dad used to try that threat, however he was a commando and I always knew full well he'd never follow through, because he wouldn't abandon the plan! Besides which, I usually wanted to go home by that point, because I wasn't having fun anyway. You'd think my, "Yes, please, let's go home" response would have cured him of that whole routine early on, but he was still trying it when I was well into my teens.

He's mellowed out now, I'm happy to say -- or at least, he goes at our pace when they vacation with us.

Quote:
Suffice it to say I felt it better [for larger groups] to stay offsite, buy groceries, rent a car, and pick 2 or 3 parks to visit, and the kids would be just as happy.
I don't know how some people do it. I have five kids, and I can't imagine staying onsite with them being a vacation. I gotta have a condo, and I gotta have a condo bigger than the average DVC 2 BR (trading into DVC via RCI isn't too outrageous, although for most it's a lot more expensive than any other Orlando option, but the DVC villa kitchens are small and the DR tables don't always seat even four in units that sleep six or eight!). And most of the DVC units are kind of afterthoughts, meaning the view isn't too nifty (the big exceptions being Bay Lake Towers and Animal Kingdom Lodge). But I expect if you're in the parks all day, dawn to dusk, and hanging out in the room or whatever isn't really on the agenda, the DVC units work just fine.

OTOH, some of the resorts are destinations in themselves, IMHO. The Animal Kingdom Lodge in particular has enough going on most of us would happily spend a couple of days there without hitting the parks, and when the kids were younger a week there would have been fine for all! But I'm waiting until I'm traveling with fewer people (or some of the kids are old enough to get their own unit) before giving DVC a shot.

Quote:
DHS (MGM) is a commando dream since it's a lot of scheduled shows.
This explains so much! I missed this back when you first posted it.

Quote:
any special desperado trips happen in the last year?
How about our May 2011 trip. Only planned one Disney park day, and spent that in Marietta, Atlanta, wandering the parking lot, talking with the kids, and admiring white tussock caterpillars while they worked on our van. Or did you not mean that kind of "special"? I could have worked Epcot in later in the week of course, but what with one thing and another (the, or one of the, last shuttle launch[es] was delayed to our week!), didn't happen.

We did get to all the resorts but two, at least to check them out, rode the boat through the bridge by the Contemporary, sampled tie-dyed cheesecake, four different cupcakes, Dole Whip, and numerous other confections, watched some magicians and jugglers on the Boardwalk, etc. Did lots of little fun stuff but never had a full day to devote to a Disney park. Devoted our only completely clear day to SeaWorld. Sacrilege, I know, but I knew our next trip would be devoted to Disney so I figured we might as well.

Last edited by shalom; 01-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #214
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've noticed these boards are filled with type A personalities, and people who plan every step. and I say KUDOS to each and every one of you for your planning skill (that I've noticed from TRs result in FANTASTIC vacations). Disney vaca planning is really an art, as I've learned.

I, however much I'd love to, do not fit into that category. Anyone else? It makes me feel somewhat like a freak on these boards

Any other non-planning laid back planners out there?!
Hi.... I'm Ruth, I'm an alco.. no wait. I'm a laid back non-planning person.

I've been to WDW twice. First time we planned nothing and it was amazing, so amazing we got married there last October. That trip had alot of planning to it. Obviously we planned the wedding and because there was us and 6 family members we planned what parks on what day, I actually made ADRs and planned events. Don't get me wrong, we had the most wonderful time, it's just I felt we saw/did more on the first trip. Maybe it's because I over planned or maybe it was because there were 6 added people, I'm not sure. All I know is it's commando all the way! Hurrah!

It's nice to be among other laid back folk x
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #215
shalom
DIS Veteran

Welcome, Ruth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_ariel_85 View Post
Maybe it's because I over planned or maybe it was because there were 6 added people, I'm not sure.
It is tougher when there are more people, unless you insist everyone's free to go their own way. And even then I think it's harder, because when things are not perfectly nifty (even though they're perfectly fine), you keep thinking, "I wonder if I'd be having more fun if I stuck with so-and-so?" But I'm still learning the art of relaxed touring (I was raised by a commando), so maybe it's just me.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #216
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Staying offsite, all we need to do is decide which parks to be in on which days. We get in the parks as late at 10am and work our way around the park. I have a GAC which helps too!

Dinner is offsite or in our condo and the evening entertainment is a trip to Walmart!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #217
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We are going in a few weeks and have 6 days for the parks and I have one ADR. I just can't bring myself to make more.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #218
princesskimberella
Mouseketeer

Glad I stumbled upon this thread
We do plan which parks on which day and i have my ADR's booked ( we like a big lunch and it is a nice break on the legs and feet to sit during the hot busy part of the day) and that is about it !

We just go with the flow, last trip we by chance made to rope drop and it was a little to crazy for me. We do not no EMH either ...
Everything I read says the same thing - must be a t rope drop, then run to get fast pass, then go here to there. I just imagine this mass of people all running the same way and following the same route. Doesn't it make more sense to do the opposite...
I look at it this way ... We get done what we can and if not save it for the next trip, it keeps each trip new and exciting . Last time the kids were not big enough for the mountains, so this year it is one of the big things they are looking forward to..
Our 1st family trip January 2007 was a blast !!
DH and I Honeymooned on the Disney Magic 1999
1st time ever to WDW and EPCOT -summer 1987
princesskimberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #219
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Just have to say, this thread is awesome! Glad to hear I'm not alone! ARRRR
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #220
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskimberella View Post
We just go with the flow, last trip we by chance made to rope drop and it was a little to crazy for me.
You can "cool down" rope drop by just hanging back a bit -- the most fun at the MK, where there's a little show to watch. I hear they are starting to open early to spread things out a bit at Hollywood Studios and... Epcot? Which sounds like a great idea to me.

Quote:
Everything I read says the same thing - must be a t rope drop, then run to get fast pass, then go here to there. I just imagine this mass of people all running the same way and following the same route.
Our tastes are quirky enough we don't want to do half of the "must dos" anyhow. All the "must do" guys I know go commando; we'd rather avoid the crowd and go our own way. I do put the rides we want that're most likely to get busy first in the day, but few of us have very many of them on our list. Very few of the "must dos" are worth racing around for, or standing in line for any length of time, IMHO.

Quote:
We get done what we can and if not save it for the next trip, it keeps each trip new and exciting .
Exactly. And if you do more of the shorter-line rides the first time, those are the ones the "must do everything we did last time" kid obsesses on.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #221
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

My family knows what day we are going to arrive, what day we are planning on leaving, and what resort we are staying at -- beyond that -- we just go with the flow.

I absolutely refuse to buy into the ADR madness -- i can't even plan my cravings for the next week, let alone 180 day s in advance-- and trying to do that with 4 -- just impossible.

We get the FREE QSDP and are very happy with it, and when we do want to do a TS meal, we just pop into concierge or pick up the phone and call for that days availability and make a decision.

this works very well for us, and reduces the stress to NONE.
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #222
CrabbyPatty
DIS Veteran

Ah, I've found my home .....

Glad to have found this thread! We generally go to WDW each August - last full week before Labor Day - and usually have no set-in-stone plans, other than an ADR every day.

I mean, we do like to start our days early (not quite RD early, but within 1/2 hour) and wander around doing whatever looks good (hey, there's no line for Haunted Mansion, let's check it out!) or keeps us cool (hey, there's no line for Small World and we can sit in A/C for about 10 minutes, let's check it out!).

While I appreciate reading DIS and learning about all the various ins-and-outs of WDW, I usually just keep a mental list of "Interesting Stuff to Do Sometime" rather than obsessively preparing and laminating lists of "To Dos" for each park and/or day of our trip. When I read posts where someone is already trying to determine what their child will eat in July of 2013 at Be My Guest - and worrying if they will be seated late to their ADR so the rest of their touring plans will be messed up - I get a headache.
WDW - 8/26/09 - 9/1/09 CBR * WDW - 8/28/10 - 9/2/10 CSR * DL - 8/13/11 - 8/18/11 - Ramada Maingate * WDW - 8/26/12 - 9/1/12 WL * DL - 8/13/13 - 8/19/13 - Fairfield Inn * DL - 8/23/14 - 8/27/14 - Anabella Hotel
CrabbyPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #223
shalom
DIS Veteran

If anyone's interested, I'm doing a Trip Report on a semi-laid-back Orlando trip; just did our Disney day. I say semi-laid-back because it felt the most rushed while we were there and because we like to have a full "resort" day between park days (I put resort in quotes because we don't necessarily spend a resort day in the resort, but we don't usually go and do more than a couple of hours, either).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2966813
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #224
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Laid back planner here . We like to just go where the day takes us. I don't want to have to worry about what we need to do next, stress is the last thing I want on vacation. We like to relax and really just take everything in.

Our vacation planning strategy:
1) Obviously pick dates, makes resort ressies, flight ressies and purchase park tickets.
2) Look at park hours and get a basic idea (nothing set in stone) of what parks we might want to visit on what days. We love evening EMH so we do plan for those.
3) Make ADRs, and very few at that. Being tied down to being at a certain place at a certain time is not something I enjoy. We tend to do around 3-4 ADRs for a 10 day vacation, the rest we do counter service and such.
4) Make a list of items needed for vacation/get said items well in advance (who wants to run around at the last minute? lol)
5) RELAX, watch Disney vids, listen to Disney music and get excited for upcoming trip....and of course go into countdown mode .

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #225
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

While I used to considered myself a commando-style park goer, after being on these boards I've learned I'm fairly casual. I plan which parks to do on which days and I have a general idea of which attractions I'd like to hit, but otherwise I just kind of go with the flow. I find it's less stressful if I give myself some wiggle room in case things don't workout like I plan them, which they most likely won't.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: