Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #196
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

Thank you so much!

I want to go to JellyRolls! I hear it is so much fun! I'm definitely gonna go there some of the days after my birthday because I'm going to the bar at Ragalans with my boyfriend and one of my friends.

I definitely won't be drinking much. If I can resist the home brew that my boyfriend's cousin makes and not take advantage of the fact that my boyfriend is plenty old enough to buy me drinks, I think I will be pretty good. Plus, I made a bet with my mom that I will remember my birthday and trip. She thinks I will "fall flat on my face drunk like every other person who turns 21."

I'll make a note to do an Early EMH for AK.

As for MGM, we will get there at RD because we want to get to TSM. We aren't gonna get fastpasses because it's probably easier to hop in line than to fight people to get fastpasses. As for the shows, we will play those by ear. We are for sure going to do Light Motors Action because my boyfriend really wants to see it. I just saw The Lion King on Broadway so I'm not worried about seeing TFOTLK and I'm seeing Beauty and the Beast on Broadway two weeks before I leave for my trip so I'm not worried about that either.

We will be there from April 30th to May 8th so we have plenty of time do stuff.

Thank you for wonderful tips! I want to have a general idea of what I want to do so I'm not wandering around aimlessly and wasting time trying to figure things out, but I don't want hour by hour or minute by minute plans. It's my boyfriend's first trip so I want him to get the most out of it without having to make a billion plans.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #197
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Gracey View Post
My boyfriend has a work phone that isn't one of those fancy dancy blackberries/iphones, etc. It's a slide up phone from verizon that work gave him. He does HVAC so the phone is for customers to call/get address for places he needs to go to/etc. Should he just leave that in the hotel or leave or leave it at home? Or should he take it along with him to the parks? He probably won't be needing it since we will be a little over 1200 miles from home.
Assuming he has another phone for personal use in the world, and his boss doesn't have an agreement with him to reach him on it while on vacation, put it under the rules of business etiquette:
  • Out of office email autoreply with contact info for the rest of his team.
  • Record a voicemail message on cell and landline with contact info for the rest of his team.

Ditch the business phones if they annoy you (and you're not like a doctor or something life threatening). If you have to be reachable, make plans you can live with.

I explained the situation to my boss and left him my personal cell number, with an agreement that he should only call it if all hell was breaking loose and he had no choice. He was also not to give that number out to anyone else. I also trusted him to that extent, unlike other bosses in that chain of command. Depending on what was going on at work, I ditched my blackberry at home / work, or left it in my suitcase / safe with the ringer off. I vowed to only check it in the evenings, and if I forgot, oh well. I think I checked the thing once every few days on vacation. My bane was more email than phone calls... but the phone calls were the most poisonous if they occurred. Not because of my boss, but because of the idiots charged with calling me after hours.

Most bosses respect uninterrupted vacations and special requests if they're reasonable and you talk it over with them. All in all, most of my problems were poor implementation of things by my bosses. However most of my aggravation was that the idiots carrying out those instructions outnumbered the competant people on the team.

DESPERADOS: Because laminated schedules have no place on a vacation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522331
Pineapple Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #198
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Gracey View Post
[color=blue]Thank you so much!

...because I'm going to the bar at Ragalans with my boyfriend and one of my friends.
Whiskey heaven, but don't miss the bread pudding and scallops.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #199
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

I'll tell him what you said.

His manager is an idiot though. She will tell him to go on break and then talk to him throughout his whole break and say, "Oh. I just talked through your break didn't I?" I swear she is on her period 24/7!

Last week (or two weeks ago) he asked if he could leave early on this past Tuesday so he could get his sport bike down to his friend's house to put in his friend's trailer before it got dark (he was going down with them to Indiana for a track weekend) and so he could change my mom's van's front brakes. She said that would be fine. That Tuesday, she ended up telling him that he couldn't leave early.

There are so many other bad stories about her. The two other guys that he works with told him a lot of guys have quit because of her. He started this new job in August.

I don't trust his manager at all, but hopefully everything will be good. He does have his own personal phone that he could be reached with.

Bread pudding and scallops sounds awesome! We are definitely gonna try a lot of new things. My boyfriend will eat anything. Even bricks.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #200
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Whip View Post
Happy Birthday, because I'll forget it 6 months from now.

Tip: Coordinate your late nights at Jellyrolls, drinking responsibly from 8pm-2am, with your sleep-in the following day. You wake up with that relaxed feeling and wanting a big breakfast. I wish I could've done my "legal drink" at Jellyrolls. Eat big before you go, then booze, water, booze, water... You don't want to look stupid at JR, so stop after 8 or 12 drinks. You don't want to miss the rest of the show or get a ride home from security.

The only park I endorse early days on is AK. The animals and staff are fresher, and the park closes really early. Yak and Yeti has great food.

DHS (MGM) is a commando dream since it's a lot of scheduled shows. We despise this park somewhat, but tolerate it as the shows are okay, the muppets are there, and sometimes there's something stupid in the street that makes you laugh.

The other two parks are pretty much whatever, and a Desperado can walk or sit aimlessly enjoying frosty, sugary, meatyness and booze.
Oh my gosh, I love this thread! I have so much to learn...er...not learn? I'm still trying to get a grip on this whole laid-back thing, but I like it!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #201
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Hey there Desperados, I just got back from a week in the World!
I have to admit, when I read all the posts about the massive October crowds, I panicked and ran straight to Ridemax. But once we were in the World I abandoned those plans and just went where we wanted. We avoided parks with EMH (for the most part) and encountered very enjoyable crowds. We walked on to almost everything and FP the headliners.
But it was just so lovely to wander through the parks (without a map!) and come upon an attraction and say "let's go on this." We weren't tied to a schedule and if we happened upon a parade or a show that was just starting, we stayed to watch.
Going commando a year and a half ago was right for that trip since my DBF had never been to WDW, so we were trying to see everything we could. But this time we were able to slow the pace down, hop from park to park when we wanted and really enjoy Disney.
And I have you Desperados to thank for encouraging me to do things this way. So thanks guys!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #202
jaci-h
If you feel psycho dad needs a frozen coke over his head to cool off... you're a desperado.

We're doing disneyland DESPERADO style over Christmas!!!

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
jaci-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #203
tree320
Mouseketeer

great trip

I just wanted to thank all of you laid back planners for a wonderful trip! We were on our Disney Wonder cruise a month ago! Then we spent 5 days in WDW. This was our most relaxing and enjoyable trip ever anywhere! I have to admit that my first 2 trips to WDW were alittle comando. I just wasn't sure we would ever get back. My DH never wanted to go, but luckily he has become a big fan of Walt Disney and his whole dream! So we are now DVC members. I don't know if it was because we went after the cruise(which was GREAT!) or knowing we will be back, but we just kinda went with the flow. We just asked the kids what they wanted to do, and went from there! It was great! The only things I/we had to do was our first night was Fantasmic! and it was only showing then and the night before we left. We have never seen it and really wanted to, so the first day was a bit of a dash through HS to get in line after we checked in to BLT. The show was totally worth it!! I waited in line while DH and kids played in HS. I just called them after I got totally awsome seats and told them to get some food to bring back so we could eat while we wait, worked great! I did also rush them over to see the Osborne dancing lights after, even though they were tired, but we were all happy we went. I had heard they were something to see, but that blew us all away. After that day we just kind of did every thing at a very relaxed pace. The lines were very short. If it was more than 20 min wait the kids wanted to do FP. Most of the time the lines were so short that we would ride, and get off and ride it again. I now know we don't have to have everything planned out. We didn't even have one ADR! We had so much FUN!!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #204
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci-h View Post
We're doing disneyland DESPERADO style over Christmas!!!
Uh oh, someone's trying to take over the left coast. Have a great time pillaging.

Welcome to all the new converts; enjoy your red and green holiday dole whips.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #205
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
I've noticed these boards are filled with type A personalities, and people who plan every step. and I say KUDOS to each and every one of you for your planning skill (that I've noticed from TRs result in FANTASTIC vacations). Disney vaca planning is really an art, as I've learned.

I, however much I'd love to, do not fit into that category. Anyone else? It makes me feel somewhat like a freak on these boards

Any other non-planning laid back planners out there?!
I hear you!!!!!

We don't plan because we usually decide to go within a few weeks & if we can find a great deal or use or DVC points (which I need another thread for my thoughts on that).

We have been so many times that the urgency left a long time ago & have learned if you don't plan there will be very few folks that get that

I like waking up & going where we want to go, not where we're scheduled to be.
The only downside to last minute trips in the non existence of TS

Going to read back some of your posts.
Happy New Year!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #206
smileycrissy
DIS Veteran

Location: In the land of the Happy People otherwise known as Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
I hear you!!!!!

The only downside to last minute trips in the non existence of TS

Going to read back some of your posts.
Happy New Year!
Welcome and Happy New Year!!

LOL, I hear ya about the non existence of eating at TS without the ADR. Sometimes you wanna eat somewhere on a whim and its tough to do that since most of the places are booked up.

All in the Golden Afternoon... a TR of the Flower & Garden show at Epcot
-----------------------------------------------
smileycrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #207
jaci-h
If you feel psycho dad needs a frozen coke over his head to cool off... you're a desperado.

Hi Desperado friends

Its been awhile!

Our Disneyland trip was immensely successful.

We are "planning" a trip in May 2012, for my younger sister's college graduation from University of Central Florida.

I am excited, and we're going to do this trip somewhat Desperado. I might be a little ADR commando on this one because a) I'm coordinating EIGHT people going/eating there and b) well... I really want to get a ressie at Cali grill for me & DH's anniv dinner. haha. I feel like I'm failing my Despy friends...

But other than that we're getting PH's and we will be planning which park to go the night before.

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
jaci-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #208
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Hi All,

Just back from 5 night at the BCV.....decided what we were doing the night before and had a fantastic time!

The new show on the castle is just amazing

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #209
smileycrissy
DIS Veteran

Location: In the land of the Happy People otherwise known as Florida

Quote:
Hi Desperado friends

Its been awhile!

Our Disneyland trip was immensely successful.

We are "planning" a trip in May 2012, for my younger sister's college graduation from University of Central Florida.

I am excited, and we're going to do this trip somewhat Desperado. I might be a little ADR commando on this one because a) I'm coordinating EIGHT people going/eating there and b) well... I really want to get a ressie at Cali grill for me & DH's anniv dinner. haha. I feel like I'm failing my Despy friends...

But other than that we're getting PH's and we will be planning which park to go the night before.
Hi Jaci!! I was wondering how you've been and how your Christmas trip was.

Ooh a graduation celebration sounds like a lot of fun!! LOL, we'll forgive you for the Commando planning ressies. Unfortunately you can't just walk up to the restaurants anymore (Booo!!) so you've got to plan that part of the trip.

All in the Golden Afternoon... a TR of the Flower & Garden show at Epcot
-----------------------------------------------
smileycrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #210
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I'm taking my dad again in May and when I go with him, Desperado style is a must. The first time I took him, my mom warned it would be like bringing a 63 year old toddler. He did pretty well though.

I'm thinking of having a Desperado t-shirt made..I've tried the LGMHs and I've never had anyone approach to say "Howdy".

36 days!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: