Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
mspeed777
Earning My Ears

Topless 12 year-olds

Beware families visiting the water parks. We visited Typhoon Lagoon in July 2010 with our 10-year old boy and saw at least five girls beyond age 10 who were not wearing tops. When we asked one of the Disney cast members about this, the response was, "Disney respects other cultures and we get this complaint every single day from Americans". Wake up, people! This IS America and we DO have a culture which should be honored. We do not have females walking around half nude. Such disrespect for a nation that opens its doors to VISITORS!
Disney is no longer your father's Disney. Sadly, the new Disney Co. makes decisions based on the bottom line rather than family values. The new mantra is "Forget American values if it brings profit from Brazilians"
Be advised: During the summer months, Brazil now owns America's family theme park and if you want your kids to get sex education while on vacation, this is a bonus not touted in the "How do do Disney" books.

Last edited by mspeed777; 07-30-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed777 View Post
saw at least five girls beyond age 10 who were not wearing tops.
Eh. A topless prepubescent 11yo girl isn't showing anything different than a topless prepubescent 11yo boy is.

Honestly, we saw quite a few heavyset teenage boys who could have used a top at BB. And if they can go around shirtless, I don't see why a similarly-endowed teenage girl couldn't, assuming she and her parents were fine with it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
r&kmommy
DIS Veteran

I've got to get to bed, but here's something to munch on ...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

While I do agree that a child that age should really wear a top as that is the norm here I hardly think that my kids would be getting a sex education from seeing someone's bubbies. It's not like they don't know what they are anyway.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

I don't see how it has anything at all to do with "family values." That term gets banided about way too much these days, as a way to defend closed minded, repressive views. The PP is right, A shirtless 10 year old girl is the same as shirtless 10 year old boy. Mabye it is the closed mided repressive Americans who are projecting something onto the situation that should not be there, and teaching our children wayyy too early that their bodies are something to be ashamed of, and to hide.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
lyv4him
Happiness is being with the family at Disneyland

Couldn't agree with you more - I wish it was more of a Disney of my fathers time. Modesty is a value that is lost these days....even here in America.

DH Me DS4 DD1 DS(still cooking)

Never enough time to Dis
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
katybugsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kmommy View Post
I've got to get to bed, but here's something to munch on ...
The plot thickens!
My DD 11 has a BFF 11 that would have no business walking around a water park or anywhere else without a top! She is fully developed-looks like a 16 year old!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

My dd just turned 12 and she is buying bras in the adult lingerie dept. I can't imagine a 12 yo going topless. Are you sure these girls were 12?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
ardig123
Mouseketeer

Are you kidding me that anybody would find this normal? I would not allow my 6 year old to walk around without a shirt. There are too many perverts in this world and the last thing I would want is somebody staring at my little girl. And believe me my 11 yr old DD has enough up top to make it highly inappropriate. It is one things to be comfortable in your own skin but for goodness sake a girl being topless in a theme park is beyond unnecessary. At Hersheypark you are not even allowed to wear inappropriate bathing suits let alone walk topless if you are a girl.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Maybe it's time Americans learned to be more accepting of non harmful ways of other cultures? Let's be honest, there are plenty of men wandering around shirtless that shouldn't be. Speedos in my opinion should be on a worldwide ban. That's my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of park goers that think I shouldn't bring my pooh sized body to the pool area at all no matter how much cover I have on. Am I going to stop or ruin a vacation because of it? Nope. I agree there are many 12 year old girls walking around more endowed than myself. Do I want to see their tatas? No. So I don't look. If I had a son around the same age with me I would simply take this as an opprotunity to have what I'm sure would be an uncomfortable but needed conversation with him about our own family values. Maybe it would be a good opprotunity for him to learn about other cultures and how to be accepting of them, but still follow what he thinks is morally right? It's a good lesson in acceptance and self control that will serve our youth later in life. Who knows maybe the experience would make him up and move to Brazil as soon as he turned 18? One never knows. Who exactly said female breasts were something to be ashamed of and hide, while it's perfectly acceptable for men of all breast sizes to flaunt them?

As a parent I've found things don't become a big deal for my children until I make a situation into one. If a big scene isn't made more than likely years from now your unharmed child, even though he's been exposed to teenage girl breasts, will only remember the fun you had. If a big deal is made he might only remember that time the family took a vacation and mom flipped out over breasts.

That said would I allow my teenage daughter to go topless? No way! I'd glue her to the wall first. I agree there are too many perverts and child predators out there that I wouldn't even entertain this thought with a teenage daughter of mine. I am simply commenting on the part of the thread that thinks tatas wandering out free to be an attack on American values.

Last edited by Jey12; 07-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
fortheluvofpooh
I believe in fairies, I do, I do!!!!!

In no way, shape, or form would my girls be allowed to walk around in public with no shirt on. No way. we believe in modesty for one and , for two... the amount of perverted people out there... well no way.
Emily rainbow #1 William forever our angel 7/30/04 Hannah rainbow #2

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

I definetly agree that I would never let my girls go topless like that but I wouldn't think my kid got any type of eduation if they saw a girl topless. I would explain that they are from a different country and that is the way it is over there and that is it.
Now explaining speedos that look like giant underwear created quite an interesting conversation.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
ardig123
Mouseketeer

If I go to another country I would fully expect to be exposed to their customs...but in America I think this is called indecent exposure? In another country I would plan to explain to my kids that this is how things work in whatever country we were in...but I do not feel that going to Disney World I should have to expose my children to looking at topless girls/women.

By the way this is the Disney Dress Code:

Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

* Clothing displaying offensive messages/language
* Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)
* Clothing made with offensive material, (ie transparent)
* Clothing that is excessively torn
* Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.
* Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

I am a Girl Scout Troop leader to 15 fourth graders (all age 9) and I would say 4 of them are already developed and 3 more are getting there. Most 12 year old girls have ****s these days. They certainly do NOT look the same as 10 year old boys.

And we have been away to many other countries where this is the norm but there is warning of "topless or nudist beaches." An American family water park is not an appropriate place for topless teenagers. I am very surprised Disney does allow this.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardig123 View Post
If I go to another country I would fully expect to be exposed to their customs...but in America I think this is called indecent exposure? In another country I would plan to explain to my kids that this is how things work in whatever country we were in...but I do not feel that going to Disney World I should have to expose my children to looking at topless girls/women.

By the way this is the Disney Dress Code:

Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

* Clothing displaying offensive messages/language
* Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)
* Clothing made with offensive material, (ie transparent)
* Clothing that is excessively torn
* Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.
* Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.
That is for the theme parks not the water parks. They have a different set of rules. The OP was at Typhoon Lagoon. I hradly think they would prohibit swim suits at water parks.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: