Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #61
szubieta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_bert View Post
One of the recurring tips I see is to pack swimsuits in a carry on for departure day. My question is where do you change?
They have public bathrooms.

Dme DH DS8 12/11-11nt WDW ~ 04/11-10nt Mexican Riviera - DCL ~ 12/10-3nt DL offsite ~ 04/09-5 nt DLH ~ 10/08-15nt cruise Hawaiian Circle cruise - RCL ~12/07-9 nt AKL, Savannah View ~ 04/06-4nt DLH, King Suites ~ 10/04-10nt W. Caribbean cruise - Princess ~ 04/04-4nt GCH ~ 11/02-3nt DL ~ 10/01-7nt E. Caribbean cruise - RCL ~ 1965-2000 too many to count
szubieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #62
disnewbie108
I left my heart in San Francisco! Wish the USAF would take us back to Travis AFB!

Subbing...Good info...Thanks for posting all the good stuff!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #63
tkalita
Born with Minnie ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_bert View Post
One of the recurring tips I see is to pack swimsuits in a carry on for departure day. My question is where do you change?
Generally on cruises you can get into your room as soon as you board, or very shortly thereafter, you just have to wait a bit for your luggage. Whatever is packed in your carry-on, you can change into in your own room. We're cruising on the Dream in April will be my first DCL cruise so I'm just assuming they open your room as the other cruise lines do.

tkalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #64
ksoehrlein
Once (and Future?) CM

Location: Previously seen at POFQ, BC, WL, CSR, OKW, BWV, VWL, POR, SSR, PC, BCV, ASMu, CR, YC, PPH, AKV, ASSp, ASMo & CBR

The hallways to the staterooms are roped off until 1:30 PM. You're not allowed to enter your room until they lower the ropes.
2011: Goofy Challenge / Wine and Dine Half Marathon
2012: Goofy Challenge / DL Half Marathon (Coast to Coast) / Wine and Dine Half Marathon
ksoehrlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #65
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

We have done both Topsiders and Parrot Cay... we prefer PC...it is alot cooler. I pack a small carry on with swim suits for the kids just in case they would like to swim.

On our last cruise we had our Dis meet at 3pm and that was a lot of fun! if you havent done so, join your cruise thread! I have made a lot of great friends! dh went and got our Tea with Alice during this time!

for the safety drill.... dont forget your sunglasses!! it get hot and sunny on the starboard side of the boat!!

We head right up to deck 9 for the Sail Away party.... and have your video camera ready...they blow the horn before you expect the too.

We drop our pillowcases off that night after dinner. remember to pack your sharpies too!

Also I recommend Palo for even the first time cruisers!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #66
poohluv2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiordia View Post
I've seen a few posts suggesting skipping Palo on your first cruise, are you suggesting this for 7 day cruises too? I'm not sure if we should do brunch or dinner and we are on a 7 day, but will I miss much in the dining rooms since we will be there 7 nights?
I would definitely try for Palo on a 7 day cruise. I think the suggestion to skip it is geared towards those taking a 3 night cruise, where they would miss out on one of the dining rotation restaurants.

There is also Brunch and High Tea at Palos if you didn't want to skip a dinner meal

}»<((((º>`·..·`·..·`·... If I am not upon the sea ... then planning a cruise on the DISboards, I'll be ...·`·..·`·...·`<º))))>«{

poohluv2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #67
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

I am going to contradict many but here goes:

SKIP the on-boarding picture! the lines are long. Just walk up the right hand side and get ON! Plenty of time for over priced, overly-posed pics later.

Ignore all instructions and head for the POOL! It will be the only time it will be empty. Get some nice chairs, enjoy the sun and the pool. You can get hot dogs, burgers, pizza right there at the pool- it will be open when you board. Or take turns making a plate at the buffet that is right near the pools and eat at your pool chair. Make sure you packed your swimsuits in your carry on and change at the pool restrooms (or just wear them onto the ship under your clothes)

Skip the drink of the day in the "signature" glass. It costs twice as much and those drinks were made minutes ago and the ice is already melted. Go to the bar and order a fresh drink in a regular glass.

Skip Palo. If you eat at good Italian restaurants at home, this one isn't all that special and it adds a cost to your cruise. It takes a LONG time to eat here, too- time I'd rather spend enjoying the offerings of the ship. The food in the restaurants is good and you can order anything off any restaurant menu any night regardless of what restaurant you are at.

Regsiter for the kid's club as soon as you arrive at the terminal. Saves a lot of time and they do occassionally run out of pagers.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #68
MarieH.
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
I am going to contradict many but here goes:

SKIP the on-boarding picture! the lines are long. Just walk up the right hand side and get ON! Plenty of time for over priced, overly-posed pics later.

Ignore all instructions and head for the POOL! It will be the only time it will be empty. Get some nice chairs, enjoy the sun and the pool. You can get hot dogs, burgers, pizza right there at the pool- it will be open when you board. Or take turns making a plate at the buffet that is right near the pools and eat at your pool chair. Make sure you packed your swimsuits in your carry on and change at the pool restrooms (or just wear them onto the ship under your clothes)

Skip the drink of the day in the "signature" glass. It costs twice as much and those drinks were made minutes ago and the ice is already melted. Go to the bar and order a fresh drink in a regular glass.

Skip Palo. If you eat at good Italian restaurants at home, this one isn't all that special and it adds a cost to your cruise. It takes a LONG time to eat here, too- time I'd rather spend enjoying the offerings of the ship. The food in the restaurants is good and you can order anything off any restaurant menu any night regardless of what restaurant you are at.

Regsiter for the kid's club as soon as you arrive at the terminal. Saves a lot of time and they do occassionally run out of pagers.
I love your advice! Will skip the on-board picture if the line is too long and will go straight to the pool Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #69
txsoccermom
DIS Veteran

line to register for kids' clubs

Can one of us stand in line at the terminal to "check-in" the family while the other one stands in line to register the kids @ the kids' club desk? I heard that line gets really long, so thought we might be able to divide and conquer at the terminal and then walk around as a family and soak everything in as 1st time Disney cruisers!
DVC Members since 2012

txsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #70
kbmo4444
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsoccermom View Post
Can one of us stand in line at the terminal to "check-in" the family while the other one stands in line to register the kids @ the kids' club desk? I heard that line gets really long, so thought we might be able to divide and conquer at the terminal and then walk around as a family and soak everything in as 1st time Disney cruisers!
Both adults do not need to stand in Kid's club register line but everyone needs to have their picture taken when checking in. Register kids online and if line is short and if they are not boarding yet then check kids in at terminal otherwise once on board go to kids club/lab on deck 5 and register kids with hardly a wait
4/2006 3 night Wonder – 4/2007 4 night Wonder – 2/2008 7 night Magic Western – 11/2008 4 night Wonder – 4/2009 4 night Wonder – 12/2009 3 night Wonder – 2/2010 7 night Western – 4/2010 Wonder B2B – 11/2010 7 night Magic Western Double Dip – 2/2011 Dream B2B - 2/2012 7 night Magic Eastern- 2/2013 5 night Wonder
kbmo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #71
calmpets
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to point out that if your heart is set on doing any of the liquor tastings, it's best to head to guest services sometime before muster drill and book them. I've been on sailings where they ran out of space by the time it showed up in the Personal Navigator the night before.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #72
6Mickeys
6Mickeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmo4444 View Post
Both adults do not need to stand in Kid's club register line but everyone needs to have their picture taken when checking in. Register kids online and if line is short and if they are not boarding yet then check kids in at terminal otherwise once on board go to kids club/lab on deck 5 and register kids with hardly a wait
I am a little confused....I have registed my kids online for the Kid's club, so do I also need to check them in at the terminal? Is this where they would get the wristbands? Sorry first timer!
6Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #73
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Mickeys View Post
I am a little confused....I have registed my kids online for the Kid's club, so do I also need to check them in at the terminal? Is this where they would get the wristbands? Sorry first timer!
At the port, you would still need to get the bracelets/tracking devices and pagers. You also still need to pick a secret word, that only the people that are supposed to pick your children up would know for added security.Its put in the computer, and its the first thing they ask when you pick up a child. Theyll also verify that the bracelet matches the name and the parent.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #74
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieH. View Post
I love your advice! Will skip the on-board picture if the line is too long and will go straight to the pool Thanks
i didn't know the option was there. i to will now skip this as i never purchase it and have never understood why we have to go through this. guess they HOPE we will purchase.
also agree with the rest of the advice. i'm one of few who say skip palo. i was there for brunch and while there was a lot of selection i could have been just as happy at topsiders brunch plus saved $50. not a fan here.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #75
amylia403
Disney Mommy

Just some info about our first Disney cruise...

Hi! We are certainly not experts, but we did just get back for our first Disney cruise a few weeks ago! After loading up on tips from the DIsboards I was still worried about missing something or not doing ssomething right...lol. but it was amazing!

Really loved the tip to bring a highlighter! We got our day 1 navigator when we checked in at the port, so we used the time before they let us on board to sit down and highlight what we knew we didnt want to miss that day!

We did bring a photo mat and I had no trouble dropping it off the first afternoon. (No line at all!) they even let me request that Captain Jack Sparrow also sign for my little boy along with the regular characters that are on the list ....he loooovvves Pirates! We had not been planning on buying souveniers, so this was an amazing souvenier to take back home with out paying a lot! We also left a bag of assorted candies for the guest services staff as a thank you, and we wrote them a letter too.

Hope you have an amazing trip!!!

amylia403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: