Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
nj2vagrl
Earning My Ears

ANY Disney Family Member involved in the company?

Since the death of Roy E. Disney is there ANY other family member actively involved in the company? If not what reasons?
Does any of Walt and/or Roy O. Disney's family directly receive any money of the profits from the company?
Can't explain why, but I have just recently become very interested in the families behind the huge company.
nj2vagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Roy Disney was the last family member to have any part of running the business.
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2vagrl View Post
Since the death of Roy E. Disney is there ANY other family member actively involved in the company? If not what reasons?
Does any of Walt and/or Roy O. Disney's family directly receive any money of the profits from the company?Can't explain why, but I have just recently become very interested in the families behind the huge company.
That would be dependent on any stock holdings. I would not think there are any royalty issues as that would have been worked out when the company went public. Just my 2 cents.

I do know that the A.A. Milne family receives royalties from the Winnie the Pooh characters. That is why the characters are usually on separate shirts, towels, etc. and not combined with the typical Disney characters. Found this out when I was buying character pictures one day. I had an infant so DH and I did ALL of the characters and then I bought every picture. Anyway, he placed all the Pooh characters in a separate pile. When I asked why he gave me the explanation above. He said he needed to ring them up using a separate key. I thought it was interesting (and desparately wanted to be related to A.A. Milne at that moment in time ).
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Not that I know about - although there are of course surviving Disney Family members who still hold significant shares in the Corporation.

The last time I looked the largest shareholder of Disney Corp is Steve Jobs.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2vagrl View Post
Does any of Walt and/or Roy O. Disney's family directly receive any money of the profits from the company?
Can't explain why, but I have just recently become very interested in the families behind the huge company.

I highly suggest you find out info on the Walt Disney Family Museum. Even if you can't find your way to visit, they have a presence on Facebook and have updates from time to time. The family appeared to be very much involved there and I thoroughly enjoyed my one visit there last year.

Roy E. Disney's son was at the dedication ceremony of the WDAS building in Burbank. It was remaned the Roy E. Disney building. So, I do think that even if the family are not involved in a business manner, they still have connections.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
That would be dependent on any stock holdings. I would not think there are any royalty issues as that would have been worked out when the company went public. Just my 2 cents.

I do know that the A.A. Milne family receives royalties from the Winnie the Pooh characters. That is why the characters are usually on separate shirts, towels, etc. and not combined with the typical Disney characters. Found this out when I was buying character pictures one day. I had an infant so DH and I did ALL of the characters and then I bought every picture. Anyway, he placed all the Pooh characters in a separate pile. When I asked why he gave me the explanation above. He said he needed to ring them up using a separate key. I thought it was interesting (and desparately wanted to be related to A.A. Milne at that moment in time ).
The rights to the A.A. Milne characters are very, very complicated.
All of the following have a stake in the proceeds from any 'Winnie the Pooh' characters:
A.A. Milne's estate
The estate has four beneficiaries:
*The Garrick Club
*Westminster School
*The Royal Literary Fund
*The A.A. Milne Family
The Milne family has tried to sue to get the rights back (not sure if just from Disney or including the Slesinger interests) for the rights to the Pooh characters but have been unsuccessful.
Stephen Slesinger
(a literary agent who entered into an agreement with Milne back in the '30s)...
*His estate (which became -->>)
*his widow's estate
The Slesinger Family started legal action against the Walt Disney Company back in 1991. Mrs. Slesinger died in 2007, the lawsuit in Federal Court continued, judgement was handed down in September 2009. In November 2009, Stephen Slesinger Inc. (her estate? his estate?) again filed suit against Disney corporate for royalties
Slesinger had the rights to all uses outside the published books
Dutton Publishers has exclusive rights for publication

Oh, but it gets better...
Outside the U.S. and Canada, Milne kept the majority of the literary copyright....
The A.A. Milne Family authorized a new book in 2009...
and there's ever so much more, but I give up.

The complete timeline and links are available at:
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-Coverage49.asp

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
agnes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Wow Agnes. That's really interesting (and crazy). All that over a stuffed bear. I think I need to go write a classic children's book.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
bicker
DIS Veteran

Disney's been a public company since 1957. Since that day, the stockholders, including many of its managers and employees, have all been part of its family, many of them investing as much time, energy, effort, and ingenuity as anyone into making the company a success, especially since 1982. Many of these members of the Disney Company family and their descendants are still part of the company, and/or still receive benefits of the success of the company.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: