Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1396
BirdsLightyear
Mouseketeer

I was wondering myself..If it is worth the money to go to the MVMCP...from a guys point of view....since it costs like 60 a head and as you see I have alot of heads to pay for
Chris - DisDads Club Member #510 DisDads Facebook Group Member and Dad to 8 little Eagles fans in the making

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #1397
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsLightyear View Post
I was wondering myself..If it is worth the money to go to the MVMCP...from a guys point of view....since it costs like 60 a head and as you see I have alot of heads to pay for
Yeah... you should get a volume discount there...
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #1398
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
I just jumped in to the minivan market and bought a Dodge Caravan.
I didn't think I would like it.....and then it happen.... I flipped down the stow and go seats and......I was sold.
Another convert! Fed won't be far behind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Her dad does indeed have cancer. He has a form of lung cancer. He is within the approximate 10% of lifelong non-smokers that have it and the docs, while unsure, are estimating it's been there growing for the past 2-3 years. It's affecting his lungs, liver and kidneys, as well as numerous ones around his hip, pelvis and back. The docs are saying without chemo he probably has about 4-6 months. With it he might have 1-3 years. But they don't yet know if he will be able to do the chemo, because the tests for his strain of the cancer he has aren't back in yet. One strain responds to chemo, one doesn't. So my DW will be on a plane 2 weeks from tomorrow heading west to spend a couple of weeks with him, I made the reservations Friday right after she got the diagnosis report. She didn't want to disappoint our DD and ask me to postpone our Daddy Daughter Adventure - so we'll actually pass in the airport as we land at 1 on the 8th coming back from FL, and she'll take off at 3:30 heading west. At least DD will be able to hug mommy before being separated for a couple of weeks. Sigh.
Sorry to hear the bad news about your FIL, Christopher. If there's any way we can help your family out, let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
After work today, I'm packing up the family and heading to Kentucky for a long weekend. It's a combined 10th anniversary trip / end of summer bash. DW and I were doing some last minute packing/planning last night when I realized that I forgot the name of the ice cream place that was so highly recommended. A quick Google search this morning, and I now have a map of all of the Graeter's locations in the Louisville area. Whew, close one there.
Have a great time! We were looking at a lot of the same destinations for a road trip next summer, so I'll be interested to see how it goes!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1399
oXar
Mouseketeer

Hey dads, just figured I'd pop in again with an update on the job front. DW has had two interviews with a very cool opportunity, she would basically be the CFO (though the title is that of controller) of an expanding company We are waiting to hear if she will meet with the owner, which is the third and final step in her interview process. It's a long shot, but she's already gotten further along than we thought she would, so who knows. If she gets it or not, she already has a good job to fall back on, and is actually up for a raise any day now.

On my side, I had an amazing interview today, met with all the parties involved and my answers to their questions where met with a lot of 'good answer' replies. Best of all, the big cheese once worked with my former employer (who wrote a stellar letter of recomendation for me), and another co-worker of mine from my former job. I am one of 7 candidates trying for this position, but I really do think that I impressed them. A lot of red tape here, being a public sector job and all, but my credentials and references are top notch, so I really feel that my chances are above average. So much so, that I am starting to make some dining reservations @ Epcot's Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for our Thanksgiving trip.....
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #1400
tutter99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXar View Post
Hey dads, just figured I'd pop in again with an update on the job front. DW has had two interviews with a very cool opportunity, she would basically be the CFO (though the title is that of controller) of an expanding company We are waiting to hear if she will meet with the owner, which is the third and final step in her interview process. It's a long shot, but she's already gotten further along than we thought she would, so who knows. If she gets it or not, she already has a good job to fall back on, and is actually up for a raise any day now.

On my side, I had an amazing interview today, met with all the parties involved and my answers to their questions where met with a lot of 'good answer' replies. Best of all, the big cheese once worked with my former employer (who wrote a stellar letter of recomendation for me), and another co-worker of mine from my former job. I am one of 7 candidates trying for this position, but I really do think that I impressed them. A lot of red tape here, being a public sector job and all, but my credentials and references are top notch, so I really feel that my chances are above average. So much so, that I am starting to make some dining reservations @ Epcot's Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for our Thanksgiving trip.....
Hope it works out for both of you!

Proud to be DisDad #356
Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #1401
rbenn81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hello friends! It's been a few days since I was last on here! It seems a lot longer, though. So much going on - and as usual - so many pages to catch up on that I don't have the time to do... so CRUD

I spent the past weekend at a Scouting training course for adult leaders - Wood Badge, the highest level of adult training there is. This was weekend 1 of 2 (the next one is in a month) - in the woods, far from any internet connections and having poor cell phone service. It was awesome. Very busy, intense kind of training - full, long days, sleep quite elusive - but I had a blast. And it helped to refresh me to come back home and deal with the family stuff going on and better support my wife as well. Her dad does indeed have cancer. He has a form of lung cancer. He is within the approximate 10% of lifelong non-smokers that have it and the docs, while unsure, are estimating it's been there growing for the past 2-3 years. It's affecting his lungs, liver and kidneys, as well as numerous ones around his hip, pelvis and back. The docs are saying without chemo he probably has about 4-6 months. With it he might have 1-3 years. But they don't yet know if he will be able to do the chemo, because the tests for his strain of the cancer he has aren't back in yet. One strain responds to chemo, one doesn't. So my DW will be on a plane 2 weeks from tomorrow heading west to spend a couple of weeks with him, I made the reservations Friday right after she got the diagnosis report. She didn't want to disappoint our DD and ask me to postpone our Daddy Daughter Adventure - so we'll actually pass in the airport as we land at 1 on the 8th coming back from FL, and she'll take off at 3:30 heading west. At least DD will be able to hug mommy before being separated for a couple of weeks. Sigh.

Lots going on, that's for sure. I hope to get back into the swing of things soon.
Your FIL is in our prayers. Be strong.

FreezinRafiki
Thanks for the weather underground link. My folks were asking me what the weather is going to be like for our trip and it was alot easier to give them a print out so they may pack accordingly.

Just 38 more days till I'm back eating Mickey Bars and enjoying a week in the world. YIPPEEE!!!

Disdad Member #464
Me DW DD DS
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #1402
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Not been to MVMCP, but MNSSHP definitely is. There are less people in the park, we had more ride time, the decorations/ parade are cool, and it is cooler at night. We are going back this year as well.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #1403
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Hello friends! It's been a few days since I was last on here! It seems a lot longer, though. So much going on - and as usual - so many pages to catch up on that I don't have the time to do... so CRUD

I spent the past weekend at a Scouting training course for adult leaders - Wood Badge, the highest level of adult training there is. This was weekend 1 of 2 (the next one is in a month) - in the woods, far from any internet connections and having poor cell phone service. It was awesome. Very busy, intense kind of training - full, long days, sleep quite elusive - but I had a blast. And it helped to refresh me to come back home and deal with the family stuff going on and better support my wife as well. Her dad does indeed have cancer. He has a form of lung cancer. He is within the approximate 10% of lifelong non-smokers that have it and the docs, while unsure, are estimating it's been there growing for the past 2-3 years. It's affecting his lungs, liver and kidneys, as well as numerous ones around his hip, pelvis and back. The docs are saying without chemo he probably has about 4-6 months. With it he might have 1-3 years. But they don't yet know if he will be able to do the chemo, because the tests for his strain of the cancer he has aren't back in yet. One strain responds to chemo, one doesn't. So my DW will be on a plane 2 weeks from tomorrow heading west to spend a couple of weeks with him, I made the reservations Friday right after she got the diagnosis report. She didn't want to disappoint our DD and ask me to postpone our Daddy Daughter Adventure - so we'll actually pass in the airport as we land at 1 on the 8th coming back from FL, and she'll take off at 3:30 heading west. At least DD will be able to hug mommy before being separated for a couple of weeks. Sigh.

Lots going on, that's for sure. I hope to get back into the swing of things soon.
Hang in there buddy...It is a difficult thing that you are having to deal with...we are certainly praying for you and your whole family!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #1404
carrollchristoph
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
Have any of you Dads stayed at BLT? If so how was it? I am looking to book this at the 7 month window for Aug. Any reviews would help lol
I've stayed at BLT through DVC. If your kids like MK, very worth it to walk back & forth. The views are incredible, & to watch the fireworks from the balcony is also really great. It is expensive, but worth it at least once! We'll be there in April, but we didn't splurge for the MK view.
Dis Dad #403

Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 Grand Floridian/Polynesian - Oct 2009 Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 Boardwalk Villas - April 2011 Bay Lake Tower
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #1405
carrollchristoph
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Not as great as MNSSHP, and the decorations are up all the time. Really, you're paying for the parade (which isn't as good as MNSSHP) & somewhat shorter lines in the park
Dis Dad #403

Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 Grand Floridian/Polynesian - Oct 2009 Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 Boardwalk Villas - April 2011 Bay Lake Tower
Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #1406
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

So Monday during one of the sessions during my Wood Badge training we saw the movie "October Sky". Any of you ever seen that one? It's really good. I got it from the library yesterday and we watched it as a family tonight. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I had remembered wanting to see it when it was in the theatres back in '99. Lots of different kinds of lessons to be learned from it. And some very cool rocketry too. Check it out!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1407
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Photo of the 2010 Fender's Farm Maze...not as flashy as the Boy Scout maze we had last year...but we are raising money for a good cause.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1408
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Chris-
I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope that your FIL has the treatable cancer. I hate cancer.

I'll be thinking and praying for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
My Prayers are with you and your family, a friend of mine's father had pretty much the same thing, he had a span of 1-6months , he was a merchant marine, started taking alot of shark cartilage pills (learned in his years that sharks don't get cancer), beyond Docs belief it went into remission and lived 6 more years to the age of 82. Don't know if it was the will to live or the shark cartilage, but something woked out, everything thing seemed normal in his everydays till the last few weeks. I hope the best for your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
Chris my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Hang in there Stoph!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Your FIL is still in our prayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach81 View Post
Thoughts and prayers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
Chris still thinking of you, your family and your f.i.l.

Hang in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news about your FIL, Christopher. If there's any way we can help your family out, let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenn81 View Post
Your FIL is in our prayers. Be strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Hang in there buddy...It is a difficult thing that you are having to deal with...we are certainly praying for you and your whole family!!
Thanks one and all. It's been a trying week, to say the least. I know the coming weeks will have both good and and bad reports coming from California - and we'll roll with the punches as they come. But the support sure is helpful and appreciated.

I will say that I was absolutely touched last night, when DW came up to me and gave me a great big bear hug and said it was from her dad. He was moved to tears when she told him that she was coming out there - and that I had been insisting on it even before she started to think it was a good idea. He was so grateful and thrilled. It's just one of those things, you know - no matter how old you are, people just still crave appreciation and others noticing what you do. I was so appreciative of his little emotion as something so simple as telling his daughter that she needed to be out there with him. Sure her being gone for 12 days will be difficult at times, but I'm a guy - I can handle stress fairly well. And I can certainly suck it up and handle some extra stuff so she can go be with him for a while. There was no question in my mind that she needed to go - but it was nice to be told of his appreciation. You follow?

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #1409
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Quote:
Thanks one and all. It's been a trying week, to say the least. I know the coming weeks will have both good and and bad reports coming from California - and we'll roll with the punches as they come. But the support sure is helpful and appreciated.

I will say that I was absolutely touched last night, when DW came up to me and gave me a great big bear hug and said it was from her dad. He was moved to tears when she told him that she was coming out there - and that I had been insisting on it even before she started to think it was a good idea. He was so grateful and thrilled. It's just one of those things, you know - no matter how old you are, people just still crave appreciation and others noticing what you do. I was so appreciative of his little emotion as something so simple as telling his daughter that she needed to be out there with him. Sure her being gone for 12 days will be difficult at times, but I'm a guy - I can handle stress fairly well. And I can certainly suck it up and handle some extra stuff so she can go be with him for a while. There was no question in my mind that she needed to go - but it was nice to be told of his appreciation. You follow?
I definitely follow.

Well wishes and continued prayers for speedy healing.
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #1410
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Since we always go somewhere on my day off, can't stand staying at home if we can get alittle trip done, just like to spend time with the family

Today we visited Easton PA, The Crayola Factory It wasn't the actual factory, but they did have a demo on how crayons and markers were made, and it was pretty interesting My son had a blast doing different crafts, and now have alot of new things to hang on the fridge The National Canal Museum is on the upper floors and we almost didn't go to it, but it turned out to be a big hit with my son, he loved running the boat down a huge model canal waterway I found it quite interesting, I never really knew how a canal worked, but I guess you do learn something new everyday
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: