Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #901
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXar View Post
figured I should pop my head in here and say 'hi'. I've been avoiding these boards like a plague since I lost my job back in June. Too depressing to think of all the Disney fun we won't be having for a while. Still haven't found a new job and decided to start my own firm, so far I have two clients but neither are providing any actual work yet. Anyhow, thanks to our HGVC membership that we coincidentally paid off a few months before getting laid off, we're heading to Orlando tomorrow for 5 days of not going to Disney. Actually, when we where up there in May, we bought a fun card at SeaWorld (allowing us admission until the end of the year), thinking we might go around the holidays or something, that card will get a lot of mileage now. Mostly our plan is simple this time out, a couple visits to SeaWorld, some DTD (a meal at T-Rex has become a tradition), hopefully get to check out the Boardwalk, a visit to Old Town (which will probably be a total let down), and some quality 5 star resort pampering. Trying to do this on the cheap but still hoping to squeeze in some magic for the kids.

Hopefully this trip will take care of that dark cloud hovering overhead and figured that this was the best place to start.
oxar!! sorry to hear about getting laid off. keep pluggin away on the new venture, it will come around. stop in more often, we dont stay on topic anyway most of the time. good to hear from you again!
dvczerfs is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #902
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
We tried to do the whole take a picture thing but we still couldn't find the car. In the picture it was parked someplace sunny.



We bought DVC after our third trip to a value resort, we loved the theming and the room size wasn't an issue but the attitude of other guests started to get to me. I don't know if it was a timing thing or just the area we got put in but kids were running wild everywhere and the parents could have cared less what was going on.

There isn't a good way to say it without sounding snobish but it was 180 degrees different at SSR and AKV. I think it is the difference between owning and committing to something, and being there because your kids "forced" you to go to WDW and you booked the cheapest place you could find on site. It just seems to be a different vibe at the DVC resorts.
we stayed at all star music in 1998 and at 4am, 4 bus' pulled up outside our room and unloaded a hs band for mass. believe it or not but dw had to twist my arm to buy. i didnt want to do it but she said "trust me". darn, i hate when shes right!!(again)
dvczerfs is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #903
Capt. Barbosa
DIS Veteran
 
Capt. Barbosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 620

Question Who is hotter

It's a guy thread so it's time

Who is hotter

Megan Fox






Jessica Alba


__________________
DisDad Club Member # 487

First of all,returning you to shore was never part of our agreement. Second, you are not a pirate, so the Pirate's Code does not apply. And third, the Pirate's Code is more of a set of what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl.
Capt. Barbosa is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #904
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest
 
doggydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
It's a guy thread so it's time

Who is hotter

Megan Fox



Jessica Alba



My wife of course!

















Jessica
__________________
doggydoc is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #905
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: penna
Posts: 143

megan fox.....hands down....
__________________
dadio is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #906
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
My wife of course!

You are a wise man!
Stitch'sCousin is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #907
MichMickey
I want to go Home
 
MichMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
kids???? look, when you get old, there just gonna take your money and dump you in the nursing home anyway. you should consider your fellow dis dads!!! i only have 400 pts per year, i could use a few more!!!
:rot fl2:
__________________
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip


MichMickey is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #908
MichMickey
I want to go Home
 
MichMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Hey there's nothing wrong with POP...I don't mind staying there - they just have rooms large enough for my family anymore. By myself? Sure. But DVC isn't for everyone. I just personally love the size of the rooms and the amenities of those resorts. Having multiple bathrooms, tv's and the full kitchen. We love to eat in-room, and to be able spread out in the king sized bed in the 1 & 2 br units, while kids have their own space in the living room, or in the 2nd bedroom. And we are becoming one of those families who'll enjoy being there without necessarily hitting the theme parks, so it really is more of a destinaton resort for us than just a place to sleep & shower. To each his own thoug, and that really is part of the beauty of WDW - options!
Part of the reason we almost bought 4 years ago was for the kitchen! My wife really liked the options and large refrigerator. I remember looking at the 3 bedroom grand villa and thinking it would be fun to go down to that with my parents and both my sisters families. Thanks for all the discussion i am going to keep my eye's open and maybe when we've had a couple more years to save we can seriously look into it. I just broached the subject of using the bounce back offer we will hopefully get this week to go down for our anniversary next August!

Heading home tomorrow and I can't wait!!!
__________________
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip


MichMickey is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #909
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much
 
stopher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)
Posts: 14,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichMickey View Post
Part of the reason we almost bought 4 years ago was for the kitchen! My wife really liked the options and large refrigerator. I remember looking at the 3 bedroom grand villa and thinking it would be fun to go down to that with my parents and both my sisters families. Thanks for all the discussion i am going to keep my eye's open and maybe when we've had a couple more years to save we can seriously look into it. I just broached the subject of using the bounce back offer we will hopefully get this week to go down for our anniversary next August!

Heading home tomorrow and I can't wait!!!
Oh yeah, we've always been a family to "eat in" the room, even when there wasn't a kitchen or kitchenette! Many trips (Disney or elsewhere) we'll bring food along for our breakfast to eat in - PB&J's are still family favorites! DW is a big old cheapskate at heart - and always tries to find ways to save us some money (Lord bless her), so seeing what kind of food we can bring with us or ship ahead is always on her list...even when we're fully on the Dining Plan - afterall, the regular plan only has one table and one quick serve per day... what if a snack isn't enough for the kids for that "3rd meal?"

So at POP, with no refrigerator, but wanting breakfast in the room we bought milk the night before and filled a large bag from the gift shop with ice and placed the whole thing inside the wastebasket til morning. Another time over at the Best Western on Hotel Plaza Blvd we walked over to Goodings and get juice and milk, and kept them inside a similar contraption. Many other times, other resorts - pretty much the same story. But since we got DVC, we've expanded to full on cooked breakfasts - or lunches and dinners from time to time too. Full breakfasts, meaning pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, etc, etc. Same stuff you'll find at the expensive buffet restaurants for a much cheaper price. Over at SSR, in the Treehouses, every unit has their own charcoal grill at the bottom of the staircase, so we grilled chicken, burgers, hot dogs, etc. Other times we've made pizza, or brats, spaghetti - all kinds of stuff. Right now we're looking at a non-parks trip next spring which would be 90% in-room meals, and only 10% DTD or other stuff.

My wife and I both grew up camping and staying in cabins for a week in the wilderness, so using the accomodations like that just feels like "old home" to us. (We added on specifically at SSR to get the 11-month priority window for the Treehouses - whereas many folks buy at SSR for the lower price but use their points to stay anywhere but SSR - but nope, not us - we wanted that priority since there are only 60 of them and they go fast. If you ever can stay in one, cash or on points - they are pretty sweet). PLUS while staying on-site you get the side benefit of heading over to ride the monorail, or OBA as chill likes to call it - or boating, mini golfing, hitting DTD, and some awesome pools too. And there just happen to be 4 great theme parks and 2 awesome water parks close by to enjoy as well.

Hope your trip is awesome!!
__________________
Christopher DW DS (18) DS (15) DD (10) BICOASTAL SOLO Adventure: Nov/Dec'10 / Daddy-Daughter Adventure: AKV Sep'10
SOLO Adventures: WDW Jun '10 / Triple Whammy WDW Family Trip-Jan'10 / SOLO Adventures: DL Nov/Dec'09 / Father/Sons Adventure May'09
My 13,000th Post My 12,000th Post My 10,000th Post

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #910
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
It's a guy thread so it's time

Who is hotter

Megan Fox

Jessica Alba
Well technically speaking...in FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer...Jessica did temporarily gain the Powers of her Movie Brother...the Human Torch...so I guess that would make her Hotter than any woman still alive.
__________________
trennr is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #911
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN
 
Wherem I Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 2,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
We tried to do the whole take a picture thing but we still couldn't find the car. In the picture it was parked someplace sunny.



Quote:
Originally Posted by oXar View Post
figured I should pop my head in here and say 'hi'. I've been avoiding these boards like a plague since I lost my job back in June. Too depressing to think of all the Disney fun we won't be having for a while. Still haven't found a new job and decided to start my own firm, so far I have two clients but neither are providing any actual work yet. Anyhow, thanks to our HGVC membership that we coincidentally paid off a few months before getting laid off, we're heading to Orlando tomorrow for 5 days of not going to Disney. Actually, when we where up there in May, we bought a fun card at SeaWorld (allowing us admission until the end of the year), thinking we might go around the holidays or something, that card will get a lot of mileage now. Mostly our plan is simple this time out, a couple visits to SeaWorld, some DTD (a meal at T-Rex has become a tradition), hopefully get to check out the Boardwalk, a visit to Old Town (which will probably be a total let down), and some quality 5 star resort pampering. Trying to do this on the cheap but still hoping to squeeze in some magic for the kids.

Hopefully this trip will take care of that dark cloud hovering overhead and figured that this was the best place to start.
Sounds like a pretty cool trip to me. We went on a no-park just visiting resorts trip to Disney two years ago as part of a business trip and had so much fun that DW and I have been discussing the possibility of just doing that again sometime. Sea World is very cool too (love Clyde and Seymour).

Hope things pick up and you get some "paying gig" clients soon!
__________________
Mike
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,8)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Wherem I Now is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #912
MichMickey
I want to go Home
 
MichMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Oh yeah, we've always been a family to "eat in" the room, even when there wasn't a kitchen or kitchenette! Many trips (Disney or elsewhere) we'll bring food along for our breakfast to eat in - PB&J's are still family favorites! DW is a big old cheapskate at heart - and always tries to find ways to save us some money (Lord bless her), so seeing what kind of food we can bring with us or ship ahead is always on her list...even when we're fully on the Dining Plan - afterall, the regular plan only has one table and one quick serve per day... what if a snack isn't enough for the kids for that "3rd meal?"

So at POP, with no refrigerator, but wanting breakfast in the room we bought milk the night before and filled a large bag from the gift shop with ice and placed the whole thing inside the wastebasket til morning. Another time over at the Best Western on Hotel Plaza Blvd we walked over to Goodings and get juice and milk, and kept them inside a similar contraption. Many other times, other resorts - pretty much the same story. But since we got DVC, we've expanded to full on cooked breakfasts - or lunches and dinners from time to time too. Full breakfasts, meaning pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, etc, etc. Same stuff you'll find at the expensive buffet restaurants for a much cheaper price. Over at SSR, in the Treehouses, every unit has their own charcoal grill at the bottom of the staircase, so we grilled chicken, burgers, hot dogs, etc. Other times we've made pizza, or brats, spaghetti - all kinds of stuff. Right now we're looking at a non-parks trip next spring which would be 90% in-room meals, and only 10% DTD or other stuff.

My wife and I both grew up camping and staying in cabins for a week in the wilderness, so using the accomodations like that just feels like "old home" to us. (We added on specifically at SSR to get the 11-month priority window for the Treehouses - whereas many folks buy at SSR for the lower price but use their points to stay anywhere but SSR - but nope, not us - we wanted that priority since there are only 60 of them and they go fast. If you ever can stay in one, cash or on points - they are pretty sweet). PLUS while staying on-site you get the side benefit of heading over to ride the monorail, or OBA as chill likes to call it - or boating, mini golfing, hitting DTD, and some awesome pools too. And there just happen to be 4 great theme parks and 2 awesome water parks close by to enjoy as well.

Hope your trip is awesome!!
Great Tips we may use the wastebasket trick if we can't find one of those inexpensive Styrofoam coolers at the Grocery Store.

Speaking of groceries we are going to go shopping at the Publix Grocery Store that is close to the Downtown Disney Entrance on Friday. Any suggestions for things to help lower our expense's in the grocery budget would be great!

Ooops better go I hear my wife coming and I still need to finishing packing the car!!
__________________
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip


MichMickey is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #913
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much
 
stopher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)
Posts: 14,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichMickey View Post
Great Tips we may use the wastebasket trick if we can't find one of those inexpensive Styrofoam coolers at the Grocery Store.

Speaking of groceries we are going to go shopping at the Publix Grocery Store that is close to the Downtown Disney Entrance on Friday. Any suggestions for things to help lower our expense's in the grocery budget would be great!

Ooops better go I hear my wife coming and I still need to finishing packing the car!!
If you have a car with you, don't shop close to WDW. Drive a few miles away. The prices will go down the further you are from the Disney price-distortion field. I'd hit WalMart up on Turkey Lake Rd or John Young Parkway (don't go to the one on Vineland in Kissimmee - blech!). Nice cleaner stores, and more typical wallyworld pricing. Definitely cheaper than hitting anything directly around WDW.

Are you driving or flying? If flying, you could always throw in a few items in your suitcase from home which could save the outlay while there too. We typically do that.
__________________
Christopher DW DS (18) DS (15) DD (10) BICOASTAL SOLO Adventure: Nov/Dec'10 / Daddy-Daughter Adventure: AKV Sep'10
SOLO Adventures: WDW Jun '10 / Triple Whammy WDW Family Trip-Jan'10 / SOLO Adventures: DL Nov/Dec'09 / Father/Sons Adventure May'09
My 13,000th Post My 12,000th Post My 10,000th Post

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 08-11-2010 at 10:28 PM.
stopher1 is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #914
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: penna
Posts: 143

+1 for what stopher1 said......but yes we like the treehouses as well...and the closeness to DTD is a bonus, we enjoyed it there....and the 11 mo. window = no brainer..
I've also lined a garbage can with a liner and filled up with ice to keep the beer,err I mean milk and Oj cold!
__________________
dadio is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #915
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325
 
middlepat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,769

Hey there guys.

So I gotta publicly bow down to the prowess of FreezinRafiki. With his help I was able to rebuild my data files on a new hard drive due to a drive failure this past weekend.

Thank You FreezinRafiki!!!!

As for the hottest discussion, I have to agree with doogydoc, his wife is pretty hot...oops I mean't my wife, and Megan Fox.
__________________

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (7)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: