Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #871
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Oh yeah - there's definitely a very active resale market out there for DVC points. And many people buy in that way and can save a lot of cash over purchasing directly from Disney. If you were to check out the TSS as Dadio mentions, you'd see lots and lots of listings for each DVC resort. So many times people go into it with the emotional aspect of staying on property, and "owning a piece of the magic"... but then one thing happens or another, and bam! - they're stuck with something that they didn't actually fully count the cost for - or life throws them a curveball and they find they need to get out from under the long-term contract that DVC really is. It's essentially a deeded real estate interest in the resort you buy in to - and as an owner, you share the burden of annual maintenance (along with every other owner of points - Disney included, since they retain 2-3% of each resort's points to rent out for cash reservations).

Many people enjoy for 5-10 years and then find their kids have grown up and they no longer want to go to WDW. OR, they divorce. OR mom and dad bought in years ago but the grown kids aren't interested in maintaining the contract after one or both parents dies. OR job losses or bankruptcy come along and someone can no longer afford a luxury item like a timeshare. OR, OR, OR. So they turn to sell their points.

Buying direct from Disney - depending on the resort will cost you between $95 - $120 per point. But buying resale, is a negotiated transaction between buyer and seller (or seller and Disney if they exercise their ROFR) and the points can range from about $60-$105 per point). Each resort is priced differently by Disney - and each has a different market value on the resale market.
When buying resale, are you buying the balance of the the time left on the timeshare? DW doesn't want to buy because we won't be around in 50 years, so I was thinking of resale with time left more in line of what she is looking for.
Thank you for all the info guys.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #872
tutter99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
When buying resale, are you buying the balance of the the time left on the timeshare? DW doesn't want to buy because we won't be around in 50 years, so I was thinking of resale with time left more in line of what she is looking for.
I'm pretty sure the contract is transferable to immediate family, DW was the same way but I played on her sentimental side and said once DS was married and had kids we could hand over the contract to him; not that that'll ever happen! (Me handing over the contract, not him getting married and having kids)

Proud to be DisDad #356
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #873
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
CRUD

OK Dads, totally unartistic me could use some help. We're renting a car for the week at Disney, and I'm thinking that the best chance of me being able to keep track of a rental car in Disney parking are some unique car decal/magnets. I'm just at the initial stages of this, but I could use some suggestions for materials and where to get them.

Once I've got that figured out, I can move on to design, but if folks have suggestions on the design front I'd love this as well.
I’m with Fed, the simplest (and cheapest) way would be a combination of GPS and that vehicle's own alarm system. Just hit the panic button. However, if you’d like to put am image of some type on that minivan , you can order flexible vinyl magnetic sheets from a number of places on line, print and attach the image you have in mind on’ em, cut it out, and slap it on the car. You can get small sheets of the stuff at craft stores, but dealing with highway speeds, might require a heavier gauge of sheet with more magnetic power. Those, you can order. As one of those foolish DCL folks, I’ve made my share of magnets. My favorites are the ones that use the classic “Mickey Head” theme in off the wall ways , like:

OR OR
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 08-11-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #874
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
Capt. Them's the dates! that would be cool! How about a 'round the world' dis-dad style! Wa-hoo I can see some tanked fellas!!!
Well, considering the last alcoholic drink I had was at a friend's church when they served communion, I doubt I'd make it past Mexico. But you could go 'round the world, and I could hold the video camera!

Anyway, let me know if you confirm your dates.

Quote:
CRUD

OK Dads, totally unartistic me could use some help. We're renting a car for the week at Disney, and I'm thinking that the best chance of me being able to keep track of a rental car in Disney parking are some unique car decal/magnets. I'm just at the initial stages of this, but I could use some suggestions for materials and where to get them.

Once I've got that figured out, I can move on to design, but if folks have suggestions on the design front I'd love this as well.
There's always spray paint. Maybe a nice hot pink color, to make it stand out.

Can you pick up any Kansas Jayhawks car magnets at home relatively cheaply? Then you'd be able to spot your car AND show state pride while you're there.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #875
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

I'm sure Christopher has already heard this rumor... but did you guys check out the rumor of the possible Haunted Mansion themed rooms at Port Orleans that was discussed in the DIS newsletter?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Pa...heme_parks.htm
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #876
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
CRUD

Every morning when you park, take a picture of the car, the row number, any nearby landmarks (trees, poles, etc). That way, when you get back to the parking lot, just flip through the pictures on your camera (or cell phone) to find where you parked.
Fed had a good idea with the GPS, and if you have a smartphone, there should be free GPS software for it that you can set a waypoint with.
Or, if you just wait until everyone else leaves, your car will the only one in the parking lot!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #877
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

CRUD!!!

Wow, about a week behind now. I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #878
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
I'm pretty sure the contract is transferable to immediate family, DW was the same way but I played on her sentimental side and said once DS was married and had kids we could hand over the contract to him; not that that'll ever happen! (Me handing over the contract, not him getting married and having kids)
No matter how you purchase, whether directly from Disney or via resale, you are purchasing an interest in that particular resort through xx date. (Each resort has a different lifespan. Ex: BWV, VWL, BCV, Vero Beach and Hilton Head all run through Jan 2042. SSR runs through Jan 2054. AKV runs through Jan 2057. OKW was originally running through 2042 but there are contracts that were extended through 2057. BLT and VGC both run through Jan 2060 and the new resort Aulani being built on Oahu in Hawaii will probably run through Jan 2061 based on a 2011 opening). So far none of the other 2042 resorts have been extended, and there's no guarantee that they will be in the future. If they aren't, then the ownership at the end of the contract reverts back to Disney. That's the primary difference between DVC and many other timeshares. The expiring contract aspect. Many other timeshares are true ownership where once you buy you own indefinitely, like your home, until you are able to sell (if you are able to sell - as my FIL is NOT. The value simply isn't there. He tried to give a couple away recently, and nobody took him up on it). So even though things can change in the future, I'm happy that after 18 years in the timeshare industry, DVC's value continues to hold, and contracts remain in demand.

All DVC contracts are able to be left to your heirs if the contract outlasts you. The real question however, is will they want them or not. Sure our kids enjoy going to Disney destinations now... but will they when they are adults with families of their own? Hopefully, but you just never know. In regards to kids wanting their parent's timeshares, the interest in them can and does shift quickly like sands on the seashore. I can say that that my FIL's non-Disney timeshares are also transferrable upon death...but none of his 4 kids want them (he planned to leave 2 to each child). We've all enjoyed being treated to vacations, but honestly none of his "home resorts" are in desireable locations, and the maintenance on each of them is higher than DVC.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 08-11-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #879
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
I'm sure Christopher has already heard this rumor... but did you guys check out the rumor of the possible Haunted Mansion themed rooms at Port Orleans that was discussed in the DIS newsletter?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Pa...heme_parks.htm
Actually yes I have. As part of that side gig with the company that I've mentioned before, I participate in a lot of their surveys and did specifically participate regarding these concepts as well. But the ground rules that I have to live within for this gig and continuing to receive the perks that I get is that I'm not supposed to talk about what we talk about. So I generally don't. But I have seen and commented on some very cool things that could come to both the World and the Land in the next several years if everything works out as desired.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #880
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
that is our plan.....to will them(the pts) to our kids.....and hopefully they wil enjoy them...or sell them!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #881
MichMickey
I want to go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
No matter how you purchase, whether directly from Disney or via resale, you are purchasing an interest in that particular resort through xx date. (Each resort has a different lifespan. Ex: BWV, VWL, BCV, Vero Beach and Hilton Head all run through Jan 2042. SSR runs through Jan 2054. AKV runs through Jan 2057. OKW was originally running through 2042 but there are contracts that were extended through 2057. BLT and VGC both run through Jan 2060 and the new resort Aulani being built on Oahu in Hawaii will probably run through Jan 2061 based on a 2011 opening). So far none of the other 2042 resorts have been extended, and there's no guarantee that they will be in the future. If they aren't, then the ownership at the end of the contract reverts back to Disney. That's the primary difference between DVC and many other timeshares. The expiring contract aspect. Many other timeshares are true ownership where once you buy you own indefinitely until you are able to sell (if you are able to sell - as my FIL is NOT. The value simply isn't there. He tried to give a couple away recently, and nobody took him up on it). So even though things can change in the future, I'm happy that after 15 years in the timeshare industry, DVC's value continues to hold, and contracts remain in demand.

All DVC contracts are able to be left to your heirs if the contract outlasts you. The real question however, is will they want them or not. Sure our kids enjoy going to Disney destinations now... but will they when they are adults with families of their own? Hopefully, but you just never know. In regards to kids wanting their parent's timeshares can and does shift quickly like sands on the seashore. I can say that that my FIL's non-Disney timeshares are also transferrable upon death...but none of his 4 kids want them (he planned to leave 2 to each child). We've all enjoyed being treated to vacations, but honestly none of his "home resorts" are in desireable locations, and the maintenance on each of them is higher than DVC.
I was just curious, what are the average maintenence fee's?
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #882
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....vc+annual+fees

michmickey...if you follow link above, about halfway down is a chart of your per/pt maintence fees at each resort.....some are more than others..for example Vero Beach is about a $1 more per pt....this is because of hurricane damage/insurance for.....after purchase, this would be your annual cost for your rooms.....easily half off rack rates..plus other perks..one is $100 off annual park pass
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #883
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichMickey View Post
I was just curious, what are the average maintenence fee's?
Each resort is different - based on a variety of factors. But basically, the maintenance fees or Annual Dues are used to fund the operating costs of the resort (salaries and benefits, theme park transportation, property taxes, etc). DVC owners also pay a portion of our dues into a "Reserve Fund" which is designed to pay for long-term projects or improvements that might be required (i.e. pool repair, roof replacement, room refurbishments, parking lot repair, etc). The traditional hotel guests also pay for all of these things - just via their room rental charge.

Everything about operating a resort increases annually (salaries, maintenance, transportation, etc), and so dues can be expected to rise about 3-4% each year. However, keep in mind the regular (non-DVC) resorts also increase their nightly rental costs annually too. Disney's rack rates have steadily increased between 3-6% each year.

Once the initial purchase price is paid, the only remaining costs* are the annual dues. That cost, when divided out over the year can be relatively small when compared against the lodging cost alone of a traditional hotel room stay. *of course you still have to "get there" and you'll probably want to eat too... so there are other vacation costs that DVC doesn't cover, of course... but the beauty of a villa with a full kitchen is that you don't have to pay premium Disney prices at the restaurants for every meal. You could eat in room and save that way. You also don't have to go to the theme parks as many DVC'ers find over time that their time in the parks diminishes. Many don't go into the parks at all. Many do. Your vacation "style" changes somewhat when you are looking at years and years of return visits. Going "commando" isn't really required anymore, since you know that you'll be back again "soon".

Here's a link to a chart that demonstrates what the dues have been historically at each of the DVC resorts. Some are higher than others based on their location (Vero Beach, Hilton Head Island, etc) or lack of transportation options, etc. On a per night basis, villas can indeed work out to be cheaper than the traditional rooms at rack rate, sometimes coming in at or less than the cost of a value for so much more room. The biggest hurdle for many of course, including us for many years before we took the plunge, is the upfront purchase cost to join.

Last edited by stopher1; 08-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #884
MichMickey
I want to go Home

Thanks Dadio and Christopher, for the explanation and the links! DW and I went to a DVC presentation 4 years ago. The only thing that I could remember was that after they took us through the numbers the yearly cost were close to what a nice vacation would run at a Deluxe resort for a week. I almost went for it but came back to reality when I realized I was basically going to be taking on a car payment for about 10 years.

If I would have known about this on our Honeymoon circa 1996 i would have snapped up a WLV spot in a heartbeat! The WL was where we took our Honeymoon and the place that we always want to go back to. Our budget for now puts us into the value's but better staying at the POP than not going down at all!

I do love the idea of "Owning a piece of the Magic" but for now I'll have to be content with enjoying Disney on the cheap!

Also Congratulations Dadio on buying in I am happy for you and Jealous all at the same time.
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip

Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #885
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Stopher, thank you for sharing some basic information about DVC... I've really never taken the time to understand how it all works. I've read some things about it, but never got any good basic explanation like the information you've been providing. I've thought about how realistic it may/may not be to buy DVC at some point, but I've never really understood it enough to really look into it. I've learned more reading a few of your posts this morning than I've learned reading other threads and info. Thanks for dumbing it down to my level.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: