Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #856
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Being a non-DVC guy, I have absolutely no idea what that means, but CONGRATULATIONS anyway!
ROFR - Right of First Refusal. Basically, you buy contracts for DVC points. Like any bit of real estate, you can resell them. But in your purchase agreement with Disney, Disney has a Right of First Refusal. Say you buy 200 points at $100 a point. You then want to sell them to your brother for $50 a point. Since you are reselling it, it has to go through Disney first. I'm not exactly sure, but I think Disney can say "no, that's too cheap to sell our resorts. We'll buy it back for the $50 a point, and make your brother find points somewhere else that are more inline with what we think they should be selling for."

And the "Welcome Home" is Disney's way of saying "you paid a butt-load of money to own a teeny, tiny bit of this property. Welcome Home!" They say it whenever you call, when the guy opens the door for you, when you check in, when you pass housekeeping in the hall, when you just came back from 12 hours a 95° Theme Park carrying two sleeping kids and all sorts of crap that you just bought. Heck, I'm sure they would even say it as you were released on bail after punching a bell hop for saying "Welcome Home!"

Oh, an dadio - congrats on the DVC purchase. We also own at Saratoga Springs. Welcome Home!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #857
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
(joining Barry)

Being a non-DVC guy, I have absolutely no idea what that means, but CONGRATULATIONS anyway!

And congrats Ron on your anniversary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
ROFR - Right of First Refusal. Basically, you buy contracts for DVC points. Like any bit of real estate, you can resell them. But in your purchase agreement with Disney, Disney has a Right of First Refusal. Say you buy 200 points at $100 a point. You then want to sell them to your brother for $50 a point. Since you are reselling it, it has to go through Disney first. I'm not exactly sure, but I think Disney can say "no, that's too cheap to sell our resorts. We'll buy it back for the $50 a point, and make your brother find points somewhere else that are more inline with what we think they should be selling for."

And the "Welcome Home" is Disney's way of saying "you paid a butt-load of money to own a teeny, tiny bit of this property. Welcome Home!" They say it whenever you call, when the guy opens the door for you, when you check in, when you pass housekeeping in the hall, when you just came back from 12 hours a 95° Theme Park carrying two sleeping kids and all sorts of crap that you just bought. Heck, I'm sure they would even say it as you were released on bail after punching a bell hop for saying "Welcome Home!"

Oh, an dadio - congrats on the DVC purchase. We also own at Saratoga Springs. Welcome Home!
Barry

I am glad youi explained all of that...I am like Mark and a non DVC person and had no idea what it meant....so does ROFR mean you can get ownership at a cheaper rate?? I have also wondered about purchasing DVC on the secondary market...do they do that??
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #858
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
we bought @ SSR..nice size contract, should be ale to do pretty well for the accomidations for a fam of 6....
now we gotta pay for it I'm really hoping for a quick turn-around, cuz I got a week off the third week of sept
We bought at SSR first through resale and bought a second contract at BLT through Disney. They are two completely different style resorts in 2 different locations, which was what we were looking for.

Good luck for the Sept date. According to the availability board, it looks like there are some openings.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2299458
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #859
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
buying into disneys timeshare....basically pre-purchasing our family vacations, till 2054...or I die

we bought @ SSR..nice size contract, should be ale to do pretty well for the accomidations for a fam of 6....
now we gotta pay for it I'm really hoping for a quick turn-around, cuz I got a week off the third week of sept...
Cool. Hope you enjoy it!

When you say the third week of September, would you be referring to the 18th-25th? Just asking, because there might be another DIS Dad at WDW at that time...

Quote:

Thanks Barry! The one time we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, they said "Welcome Home" to us even though we aren't DVC owners. Maybe we just looked more cultured and refined than usual.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #860
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

Yo goofy. You betcha!
there are three main players in the resale market. We are going thru the timeshare store, sponsors of this board. We are buying @ $64 a pt. I believe thru Disney direct it is closer to the $100 maybe mid 90's a pt...so a good deal of savings to be had in the resale market..unless you want a sold out place, or one that is new on the market like bay lake towers, your better off with resale
Once you are a member, it makes NO dif where you buy...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #861
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

Capt. Them's the dates! that would be cool! How about a 'round the world' dis-dad style! Wa-hoo I can see some tanked fellas!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #862
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

T-shirt design- opinions please!

Hey guys! With 30 days till my trip I've already got all the planning and arrangements done I've had nothing to quell my Disney addiction. Soooo I have been obsessively creating room decorations, a journal for DD and now t-shirts. Here is my latest creation, I thought you guys my appreciate it.

Oh and by the way CRUD!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #863
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Yeah - just like in a franchise system, the corporation retains the right to refuse to allow a seller to sell to someone if something doesn't meet the "guidelines" of the corporation. In this case, the corporation of course is Disney, and they do retain the right to stop a sale transaction from happening between two interested parties. They will the exercise their right and purchase the points back from the seller at the negotiated price... and the potential buyer is out of luck on that particular transaction. Disney will then turn around and add the purchased points back into their inventory and later re-sell them at their current offering price.

It's kind of an artificial way to keep the market value of the DVC system higher. As an owner I'm certainly thankful they do that. My FIL has 8 non-Disney timeshares that are pretty much worthless. He's tried to sell several times through the years, and he hasn't even been able to give them away. Nobody wants to take on the maintenance obligation for something that on paper is pretty much worthless.

Quote:
We own at SSR too. We really like it there - especially the Treehouses. And the beauty of course is, that you can reserve at any of the resorts at your 7 month window. Enjoy it!!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 08-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #864
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Barry

I am glad youi explained all of that...I am like Mark and a non DVC person and had no idea what it meant....so does ROFR mean you can get ownership at a cheaper rate?? I have also wondered about purchasing DVC on the secondary market...do they do that??
Quote:
Yo goofy. You betcha!
there are three main players in the resale market. We are going thru the timeshare store, sponsors of this board. We are buying @ $64 a pt. I believe thru Disney direct it is closer to the $100 maybe mid 90's a pt...so a good deal of savings to be had in the resale market..unless you want a sold out place, or one that is new on the market like bay lake towers, your better off with resale
Once you are a member, it makes NO dif where you buy...

Oh yeah - there's definitely a very active resale market out there for DVC points. And many people buy in that way and can save a lot of cash over purchasing directly from Disney. If you were to check out the TSS as Dadio mentions, you'd see lots and lots of listings for each DVC resort. So many times people go into it with the emotional aspect of staying on property, and "owning a piece of the magic"... but then one thing happens or another, and bam! - they're stuck with something that they didn't actually fully count the cost for - or life throws them a curveball and they find they need to get out from under the long-term contract that DVC really is. It's essentially a deeded real estate interest in the resort you buy in to - and as an owner, you share the burden of annual maintenance (along with every other owner of points - Disney included, since they retain 2-3% of each resort's points to rent out for cash reservations).

Many people enjoy for 5-10 years and then find their kids have grown up and they no longer want to go to WDW. OR, they divorce. OR mom and dad bought in years ago but the grown kids aren't interested in maintaining the contract after one or both parents dies. OR job losses or bankruptcy come along and someone can no longer afford a luxury item like a timeshare. OR, OR, OR. So they turn to sell their points.

Buying direct from Disney - depending on the resort will cost you between $95 - $120 per point. But buying resale, is a negotiated transaction between buyer and seller (or seller and Disney if they exercise their ROFR) and the points can range from about $60-$105 per point). Each resort is priced differently by Disney - and each has a different market value on the resale market.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #865
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
My boy is only 2, so not yet, but it's nice to get a preview on stuff to get for him....we've been reading to him since he was in Utero, and he loves books!!

Cornfuzz, I notice you're under 30 days---good news for me too

When do festivities in the cornfield kick off?
Kingsdom Keepers is pretty good...My sons are in the 5th and 10th...and both liked it...but they are both certified Disney Buffs!!!

Yep 3 weeks + a few days.

The First weekend of the Corn Maze is my last night at WDW.

I've already walked through most of it though...put up some guide signs.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #866
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
I would say there is a good chance that we passed. Was your trip home bumper to bumper? This week I think that the crowds are down because a lot of schools have started back..It is proving to be a good choice of when to go....where did you guys stay? Eat anywhere good? We have done Burro Loco, Thorny's, and California Pizza so far. Might drive up to Calabash and eat at Ella's this evneing.
Trip home was pretty smooth but others that were with us got stuck in traffic on I-40 East of Benson for about an hour due to construction. I'm sure glad that we didn't travel that way!

We stayed in a house a few blocks from the north point. We typically don't eat out a lot when we go to the beach. Just a few meals here and there. The ladies in the family take turns or work together to make the meals. But we will usually get to Calabash once for some Beck's.
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #867
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Thank Guys! DW was alittle last night of the ole' oven trick being put into play
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #868
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post
Trip home was pretty smooth but others that were with us got stuck in traffic on I-40 East of Benson for about an hour due to construction. I'm sure glad that we didn't travel that way!

We stayed in a house a few blocks from the north point. We typically don't eat out a lot when we go to the beach. Just a few meals here and there. The ladies in the family take turns or work together to make the meals. But we will usually get to Calabash once for some Beck's.

We drove up to Calabash this evening and ate at Ella's this time. It was pretty good and a lot cheaper than the bigger ones inMyrtle Beach
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #869
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

CRUD

OK Dads, totally unartistic me could use some help. We're renting a car for the week at Disney, and I'm thinking that the best chance of me being able to keep track of a rental car in Disney parking are some unique car decal/magnets. I'm just at the initial stages of this, but I could use some suggestions for materials and where to get them.

Once I've got that figured out, I can move on to design, but if folks have suggestions on the design front I'd love this as well.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #870
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Kingsdom Keepers is pretty good...My sons are in the 5th and 10th...and both liked it...but they are both certified Disney Buffs!!!

Yep 3 weeks + a few days.

The First weekend of the Corn Maze is my last night at WDW.

I've already walked through most of it though...put up some guide signs.

Don't forget ambush locations....in my Tar Guard days these were known as: "road signs", "interstate overpasses", "blind spots", "median cut throughs" (preferably screened by trees), etc. etc....

Just a Grey and Blue Spider waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
CRUD

OK Dads, totally unartistic me could use some help. We're renting a car for the week at Disney, and I'm thinking that the best chance of me being able to keep track of a rental car in Disney parking are some unique car decal/magnets. I'm just at the initial stages of this, but I could use some suggestions for materials and where to get them.

Once I've got that figured out, I can move on to design, but if folks have suggestions on the design front I'd love this as well.
Handheld GPS and waypoints My wife gets stuff like this from Michael's---though she is forbidden to touch my truck with them...

What are you renting?

Lemme' guess.....MINIVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Thank Guys! DW was alittle last night of the ole' oven trick being put into play
In all my training and experience I have learned a very valuable lesson---use the appropriate weaponry

Sooner or later I'll be saying CRUD because I won't be sitting behind a compter all day

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: