Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #796
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Stopher - thanks for the pics and info. Having never been to any parks but the ones in Florida, its always odd for me to see the Haunted Mansion as anything but the Gothic Manor on the Hudson. Someday I'll get to Disneyland to see the original. The others, well...
I'm assuming you're partial to the original, but how different (aside from the outside) are the attractions on the inside? Or did Disney copy clone one to the other?
I am definitely partial to the original, however, WDW is pretty cool too.

For starters - at DL, you actually enter the Mansion's facade sits in some lovely grounds, with a wrought iron fence crescenting around it, creating a nice front and side yard. There is a gateway with a path leading directly up to the steps, and then curving off to the side for the queue when it's needed. Some times you are fortunate enough to be able to skip the queue and walk up the steps directly onto the porch and enter the manor - most times you aren't and you have to go off to the side of the house and endure a lot of switchbacks. The house itself butts right up next to the train, tracks, but there is a large berm (hiding the tunnel they built when they made the showbuilding for the house) and the berm has lots of big old trees and some of the gravestones like at WDW - though today most have been removed. There is also a mausoleum there, with inscriptions carved (like you see at the exit to WDW's manor). The front and side of the house are both quite similar, though a bit different. You do then go up onto the porch and wrap around to the front where you then enter the house. You don't actually go through the front door - but a door off to the side. Of course at WDW you walk around beyond the front of the house, and enter into doors below the actual facade on the lower level.

The upper level porch is filled with various decorative items - wicker chairs, tables, plants etc. At nightime there is often a candle passing from one window to another on that upper level. I've read about this same kind of thing happening at the MK house too, but I've never personally seen it.

Inside the house then - at DL you enter a square foyer - where the sliding doors to the Stretching Room are on two sides of the square (the other two sides being the exterior walls). There's no fireplace like at WDW, nor any portraits in this space - just the beautiful old chandlier. It's here, like at WDW, where you first encounter the Ghost Host.

Upon exiting the Stretching Room, you then walk out into the Portrait Corridor, which has the changing portraits hanging on the walls on one side, and large windows with lightning effects on the other side. They added this part in to the WDW version a couple of years back - although you go through the corridor at WDW AFTER you enter your Doom Buggy.

You continue walking down the corridor straight towards 2 of the "follow you" busts - and then turn a corner. (It's at this point that you've now walked underneath the train tracks and are "outside the berm" in the massive show building). You then proceed a short ways, and enter your Doom Buggy.

At the MK - your Doom Buggy passes by the "library" - this scene does not exist at DL at all - though they DID add in a small library section to the ballroom scene a few years back - basically up on the landing there are two archways covered with curtains... at DL those curtains are now drawn back and you see a library of sorts behind them.

Ah the MK - they also added in the AWESOME endless stairway scene - which does not exist at DL at all. There isn't room to add it in, either. Thankfully they took away those horrible large fake spiders to make way for this tremendous addition.

From there then - the show is pretty much identical until you get to the end. After the mirror scene however, and you are about to disembark - at DL - instead of just walking out to the exit - there is an up-speedramp that will take you back up to the ground level so that you can exit the attraction.

One interesting thing to note - since they did create a 2nd set of the various sets for WDW at the same time... when you leave the attic, and then your Doom Buggy turns to proceed down backwards - the exterior of the house that was created keeps in the theming for DL's plantation house - and does not match the more Gothic Hudson River Valley house of the MK at all. That was a big flub on the original imagineers' part.

When they were designing Tokyo DL - they basically just took a direct lift of the Florida attraction. Thematically it too is a Hudson River Valley house.

In designing Paris, they went a totally different route. There it is called Phantom Manor, and actually has more of a gory, scary feel to it than any other version. The French are enamored of the American old west, or at least that's what the imagineers have said, and having so many old castles and "haunted" places throughout Europe, they decided to put it into Frontierland and make it more of an old-west feel. It really looks like a cross of an old Nevada school house and the Psycho house from Hitchcock's film. They originally hired Vincent Price to be the Ghost Host, but shortly after the park opened they dropped his narration and went with a French actor's voice instead, speaking in French. That one deviates from the story the most, actually leaving the house and taking the Doom Buggys into a graveyard filled not with Grim, Grinning Ghosts, but rather zombies and ghouls.

From what I've been able to read and see of the Hong Kong version - it will be yet another departure, based on a character who travels the world and has collected quite a large assortment of "oddities and mysteries" - which kind of brings the attraction back full-circle to one of the original imagineers' concepts for the "House of the Wierd". Claude Coats was big on strange, odd and interesting stuff - ultimately after Walt died his odd concepts lost out to Marc Davis' more comic scary stylings.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 08-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #797
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice pics stopher. did you ever hear about thr romour that the spider web in the dl hm in the ball room scene is to hide or incorperate a .22 bullet hole? never knew if it was true or not.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #798
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nice pics stopher. did you ever hear about thr romour that the spider web in the dl hm in the ball room scene is to hide or incorperate a .22 bullet hole? never knew if it was true or not.
I have heard that rumor previously. Can't say whether it's true or not.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #799
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Sorry, couldn't resist...Zombies....are you prepared??? I am...

Rule #1: Cardio.

Happy Birthday Haunted Masion!!!

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #800
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post

To assist us in preparing for the inevitable zombie uprising/apocalypse, what is your weapon of choice to defend against zombies? Shotgun, RPG, automatic weapon? I figured you would be the guy to ask.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #801
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

A truly embarrassing moment would be getting caught by a zombie. I don't know how a predator that is so slow will ever mount a feasible uprising/apocalypse. You might be in trouble if you are driving a little rascal/hover-round. I think zombies will make us all look like Barry Sanders.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #802
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To assist us in preparing for the inevitable zombie uprising/apocalypse, what is your weapon of choice to defend against zombies? Shotgun, RPG, automatic weapon? I figured you would be the guy to ask.
It doesn't hurt to get your hands on all three....

Rule #3. Double Tap.....don't spare the bullets, let em rip...

The exception to Rule #3 would be the RPG....wait until you get a bunch of them in the blast radius before pulling that trigger..

My Zombie Apocalypse armory is.......substantial...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #803
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
A truly embarrassing moment would be getting caught by a zombie. I don't know how a predator that is so slow will ever mount a feasible uprising/apocalypse. You might be in trouble if you are driving a little rascal/hover-round. I think zombies will make us all look like Barry Sanders.
The race is not always to the swift......

They don't quit ya know....the follow the smell of sweet flesh...

Sheer numbers help too...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #804
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:

Happy Birthday Haunted Masion!!!

Quote:
Fed - You've tried this off topic tactic once before...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post35888581
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #805
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Fed - You've tried this off topic tactic once before...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post35888581

You realize we are constantly perfecting our techniques right....

And hey.....Stopher brought up Zombies, you KNOW I wasn't staying out of that one...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #806
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
You realize we are constantly perfecting our techniques right....

And hey.....Stopher brought up Zombies, you KNOW I wasn't staying out of that one...
I just realized something... Dave Z's last name starts with and has the same number of letters as "zombies"...

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #807
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Ok now i'm thinking about zombies in the Magic kingdom walking up to smiling cast members trying to be of assistance and end up having their brains devoured as they point with two fingers.

It's funny in my head.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #808
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
Ok now i'm thinking about zombies in the Magic kingdom walking up to smiling cast members trying to be of assistance and end up having their brains devoured as they point with two fingers.

It's funny in my head.
They'd probably eat the two pointing fingers first. Nice little appetizer.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #809
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
They'd probably eat the two pointing fingers first. Nice little appetizer.

Mmm Finger Food
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #810
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post

Mmm Finger Food

Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: