Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #676
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Welcome to the freak show! You'll fit right in.

Oh. Maybe I'll drive after all. Crap. You know a bunch of Georgia State Patrolmen too, don't you? Ummm...what if I take a boat from Alabama to Tampa. Do you know anybody in the coast guard?

We've all got to hold on to the ones that understand our Disney addiction. And hold on tight to the ones that enable us!

On a related note, today is my 10th anniversary with the one who's just as nuts about Disney as I am. I ain't lettin' this one go! We're gonig out to dinner tonight, then on Saturday, the four of us are taking a "Pirates of the Caribbean" lunch cruise.

I'll report back on many glaring copyright violations I see!

Happy 10th Anniversary Barry!! Enjoy you dinner and Pirate lunch cruise. I am sure the kids will enjoy the pirate thing a lot!!

We celebrate our 10 on 1028...thus the screen name numbers...makes it easier for me to remember if I have to see it every day
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #677
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
A good friend of mine is one of the Orange County guys who covers Disney...He was one of the first on the scene at the monorail crash last year.... you got connections everywhere!!

That was a sad day... You certainly don't expect that kind of thing, but "stuff" does happen...

Well, there are advantages to having Orlando in your Area of Responsibility...

Once above Virginia, and West of Alabama, I'm pretty much done

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #678
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodo View Post

Just to show I'm a stand up guy. Please note the wife...most patient woman in the world.
Nice picture! I promise I won't make any smart-alecky comments about the strategically-placed "2008" or reference Austin Powers movies..

Quote:
On a related note, today is my 10th anniversary with the one who's just as nuts about Disney as I am. I ain't lettin' this one go! We're gonig out to dinner tonight, then on Saturday, the four of us are taking a "Pirates of the Caribbean" lunch cruise.
Happy anniversary Barry! And congratulations to you both.

Oh, and Congratulations Chill on the election win!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #679
Explodo
There's Something About Mary (Poppins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Nice picture! I promise I won't make any smart-alecky comments about the strategically-placed "2008" or reference Austin Powers movies..

And don't forget the sparkly earrings either.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #680
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Oh. Maybe I'll drive after all. Crap. You know a bunch of Georgia State Patrolmen too, don't you? Ummm...what if I take a boat from Alabama to Tampa. Do you know anybody in the coast guard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
You're not safe anywhere dude...you started it, just sayin'

Oh yeah, and the Orange County Sheriff's Office (Which Covers Disney World)...yup, know a bunch of those guys too....as a matter of fact, their Chief of Detectives took that picture

I think, perhaps, Barry, you should start heading south and west for your Disney fixes instead of southeast... I'm just sayin'

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #681
HoustonDan
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks to everyone for the welcome, from new member #505! Should I expect hazing as a rookie?

So, I have a question for you guys. As I mentioned, I have a DW, DS (10), and a DD (8). And, I seem to be the one in the family who is by far the most interested in going to Disney on a regular basis. We went for our first time in 2009 for Spring Break and had a terrific time. Actually, to be honest I was a little reluctant to go that first time - I mean, what's to do at Disney for a 39 year old man, right? Spent 7 days at WL, did all the parks twice, had lunch at the Castle, everything. Like many of you I'm sure, I'll never forget watching Wishes for the first time with my daughter sitting on my shoulders on Main Street and my son holding my hand. On the way home - we drove - I couldn't stop thinking about planning to go back. DW was lukeworm to the idea, at best. Waited until last fall (very difficult) until I brought it up again. Basically had to convince her to do it again, but finally got her to agree to go Spring Break again this year. We planned a trip with my sister (which turned in a cluster) and had a great time again. Added in a day at Universal and still did 6 days at Disney. Crowds seemed much larger this year, though. Anyway, on the ride home this year I convinced myself wanting to go back again was just not how a grown man thinks and to just forget about it. That got me to, oh, around July or so, and I can't stop thinking and planning to go back. Right now I've got it in my head to take the kids out of school and go the week after Thanksgiving. Weather will be great, no lines (right?), and shoot - kids don't learn anything in school in December anyway. If I get a season pass, then we could SAVE money and go again sometime next year. It seems all this is a sickness somehow........

So, my question - am I doomed? Is there any way to convert the rest of my family into wanting to go to Disney at least once a year? Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to at least convince the wife? Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #682
KTME
DIS Dad

Quote:
Something I will never fish with again

Anyway, you guys will love this...I JUST got an email from the States. It's from the PARENT of a 20something Applicant. I chaired her panel interview, and based on the interview, we did not offer her a position.

Well, I guess she applied a couple other places and also did not get accepted.

So I get this email (all applicants are given the email address of the panel chair) a full 8 MONTHS LATER berating me for: "not giving her daughter a chance", "failing to maintain objectivity" (Really?? I didn't even know your daughter); and various and assundry other "offenses"....

My question is....why in the WORLD would you have you MOTHER send out an email like that??? It would have been perfectly acceptable for the applicant to ask how to improve.....but THIS??

Yup, pretty sure she won't be considered now. Ever.

What gives with some of these kids?

The problem with some of these kids is their parents.

Quote:
You're not safe anywhere dude...you started it, just sayin'

Oh yeah, and the Orange County Sheriff's Office (Which Covers Disney World)...yup, know a bunch of those guys too....as a matter of fact, their Chief of Detectives took that picture

Hey Barry, based on the information that has been posted by Fed and the "people" that he knows, I am now offically on whatever side he is on.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #683
tutter99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodo View Post

Just to show I'm a stand up guy. Please note the wife...most patient woman in the world.
Must have been tough getting on and off the rides with that thing around your waists.

Quote:
Something I will never fish with again

Anyway, you guys will love this...I JUST got an email from the States. It's from the PARENT of a 20something Applicant. I chaired her panel interview, and based on the interview, we did not offer her a position.

Well, I guess she applied a couple other places and also did not get accepted.

So I get this email (all applicants are given the email address of the panel chair) a full 8 MONTHS LATER berating me for: "not giving her daughter a chance", "failing to maintain objectivity" (Really?? I didn't even know your daughter); and various and assundry other "offenses"....

My question is....why in the WORLD would you have you MOTHER send out an email like that??? It would have been perfectly acceptable for the applicant to ask how to improve.....but THIS??

Yup, pretty sure she won't be considered now. Ever.

What gives with some of these kids?
I would respond with "I was reconsidering my decision to hire your daughter but it has now occurred to me there is not room for two people to sit at the desk and the others in my department may feel neglected if their mothers are not there to feed them their lunches."

Quote:

Picture of you, or picture of the camel?

Proud to be DisDad #356
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #684
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonDan View Post
So, my question - am I doomed? Is there any way to convert the rest of my family into wanting to go to Disney at least once a year? Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to at least convince the wife? Any help would be most appreciated.
Your Doomed!!!!

As for convincing the DW, that can be tricky if she’s immune to the syndrome, but… You convince the kids (usually easier), and you got allies.

Not that I’m recommending using your kids as an emotional wepon or anything like that.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #685
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Anyway, on the ride home this year I convinced myself wanting to go back again was just not how a grown man thinks and to just forget about it.
I beg to differ here - OF COURSE that's how a grown man thinks. Especially around here... you've got to understand that first and foremost... WE all get it. It's the rest of the world that doesn't seem to.

Quote:

That got me to, oh, around July or so, and I can't stop thinking and planning to go back. Right now I've got it in my head to take the kids out of school and go the week after Thanksgiving. Weather will be great, no lines (right?), and shoot - kids don't learn anything in school in December anyway. If I get a season pass, then we could SAVE money and go again sometime next year. It seems all this is a sickness somehow........
Oh yeah, you've got it bad. That's great. Welcome to the club! So do we.

Quote:
Some are harder to "convince" than others. Some just take time to warm up to it all... everyone on here can tell you a different story as many don't have a spouse who shares the love the same way as them... while others do. Some started out like you, and their wives have grown into Disney nuts too... others didn't. Some get their kids first, and then have a dual line of attack, while others don't. But the best bet is... when you feel compelled to talk about it all but no one at home wants to listen any more... just come around here and we'll all listen, cheer and console... and sometimes mock too - but we'll always have fun while doing so. And we all know what it's like to want to go every year - or more.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #686
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTME View Post
Hey Barry, based on the information that has been posted by Fed and the "people" that he knows, I am now offically on whatever side he is on.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #687
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTME View Post
That would be the that's nice side!!!

Fed has some people you don't want to mess with....
Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #688
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Happy anniversary dude (make sure to get pictures of the point in the evening where you accidentally push Jack overboard)

Quote:

Just so you know, I'm placing a call to all my buddies at TSA and the US Air Marshall's Service...have fun on your next flight
So… Fed…
Just exactly what kind of local delicacy, can I “just happen to” ship you a case of around Christmas time that “just might” keep my name off of your various buddy’s search and destroy lists?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #689
Pirates4me
Mouseketeer

Dis Dads in November

We are headed back to WDW November 11th. Any fellow Dis Dads going at this time?
DIS Dad's Club Member #502

DW ME DD DS

"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

DVC Member since 2005 Saratoga Springs
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #690
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the welcome, from new member #505! Should I expect hazing as a rookie?

So, I have a question for you guys. As I mentioned, I have a DW, DS (10), and a DD (8). And, I seem to be the one in the family who is by far the most interested in going to Disney on a regular basis. We went for our first time in 2009 for Spring Break and had a terrific time. Actually, to be honest I was a little reluctant to go that first time - I mean, what's to do at Disney for a 39 year old man, right? Spent 7 days at WL, did all the parks twice, had lunch at the Castle, everything. Like many of you I'm sure, I'll never forget watching Wishes for the first time with my daughter sitting on my shoulders on Main Street and my son holding my hand. On the way home - we drove - I couldn't stop thinking about planning to go back. DW was lukeworm to the idea, at best. Waited until last fall (very difficult) until I brought it up again. Basically had to convince her to do it again, but finally got her to agree to go Spring Break again this year. We planned a trip with my sister (which turned in a cluster) and had a great time again. Added in a day at Universal and still did 6 days at Disney. Crowds seemed much larger this year, though. Anyway, on the ride home this year I convinced myself wanting to go back again was just not how a grown man thinks and to just forget about it. That got me to, oh, around July or so, and I can't stop thinking and planning to go back. Right now I've got it in my head to take the kids out of school and go the week after Thanksgiving. Weather will be great, no lines (right?), and shoot - kids don't learn anything in school in December anyway. If I get a season pass, then we could SAVE money and go again sometime next year. It seems all this is a sickness somehow........

I'm in the "win the kids" crowd......

Nothing like the babies begging to get mom on board

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: