Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #631
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post

I forget, what color worms did I send you.....Pretty sure I sent Watermelon Red Zoom Vibra tails?

Anyway, here's what you do:

Put on the LIGHTEST Tungsten weight you have....tie on one of the 3/0 Hooks. Texas rig one of them...should look like this rigged up...rig it as straight as you can...

Check it in the water and make sure the weight is heavy enough to "make the tail work" in the water.

Cast it out toward the attractors and the trees and let it sink on a slack line until it hits the bottom. Then, lift the rod tip, and drop it back down. Reel in slack, repeat...

If you feel that line jump or see it swim off....SET THE HOOK!!!!

Post Pictures!

That's how this one got caught

you look alittle dry there fed. (is that a big net behind you????)

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #632
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
you look alittle dry there fed. (is that a big net behind you????)
Not lettin' that one go are you Zerfass??

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #633
Explodo
There's Something About Mary (Poppins)

Rotten old Bass...You really need to look into catfishing. Much less in the realm of labor required to catch a fish.

Plus all you need to catch em is a hunk of lifebuoy soap...Figure that one out.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #634
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
I was checking out BJ's Tavel Club and they have Carnival cruises out of Tampa to Mexico... and I found a 5 day/4 night cruise to Cozumel for $300 a person (Oceanview Stateroom). Anyone been on a Carnival cruise... to Mexico?
Two thoughts about Carnival. First, you generally get what you pay for, but on the other hand, you also get out of something, what you put into it.

Carnival is cheaper than all the other lines and far below the price point of DCL, and they accomplish that with a mixture of high volume and somewhat scaled back amenities. The bulk of their clientele is onboard either to gamble, or to drink (or both), but there are still plenty of cruisers that are just trying to enjoy themselves. You may run into a few overly rude passengers (or even rude crew members for that matter), but If you can stay out of the way of theses folks, you’ll be fine. The ships sailing from Tampa are older vessels done up in a lot pink, purple, mirrors and neon (a look designed to evoke Los Vegas of the 80s/90s). Some say the food is actually better, but individual tastes vary considerably. There are shows and entertainment, but not on the scale that you’ll find on most of the other lines (it certainly ain’t Dinsey). The bottom line here is that your expectations will dictate your overall experience. If you just want to relax by the pool and take in a couple of sites at a Mexican port, you’ll probably have a great time. If you expecting very high levels of service with great care given to details and the overall “experience” you may be disappointed. I’ve seen DCL vets both rave and chastise Carnival, but I think that any ship on the water has got to be better then my cubical at work.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #635
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodo View Post
Rotten old Bass...You really need to look into catfishing. Much less in the realm of labor required to catch a fish.

Plus all you need to catch em is a hunk of lifebuoy soap...Figure that one out.

Yeah, but it's fun...and frustrating all at the same time....

Have my share of catfishing trips too....

Hmmmmm, Lifebuoy eh? Hmmm...dunno', have to research..

ETA: Really?? Let the soap sit out for a few days and then jug fish with it?? New one on me...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #636
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Well... looks like I'm looking into a non-Disney vacation this next year. Currently I am in negotiations with DW and apparently our marker has been stuck on a Tampa, FL location. She would like to see what Busch Gardens, Tampa is like. Soooo... now I am looking into hotels/resorts in the Clearwater/Tampa area. Anyone been to that area and have any suggestions?

Also... I was checking out BJ's Tavel Club and they have Carnival cruises out of Tampa to Mexico... and I found a 5 day/4 night cruise to Cozumel for $300 a person (Oceanview Stateroom). Anyone been on a Carnival cruise... to Mexico? I know I'd be better off asking this on a cruise forum, but thought I'd ask my trusty guys first

If all calculations are right, I could do a 8 day sea/land vacation for less than $3K. Not too bad. BUT... definitely don't want to waste the $ if Carnival is a bad bet.
I've been to the Tampa area a few times over the years. I would highly recommend the Crystal River area. It's about 90 minutes north of Tampa, but they have some tours where you can snorkel with matinees in the wild. There is a protected habitat for them that you can't go in, but they swim out and see what you're up too. Gentle creatures, but still a heck of an frightening seeing this 2,000 animal swimming up to you for a belly rub. There are these natural springs that keep the water a constant 72° and it's crystal clear (hence the name, duh.) It was years ago, so I don't recall the name of the place, but there were several companies giving the tours. I'm pretty sure your DD is old enough, but you'll have to find out for sure.

We did enjoy Busch Gardens the one time we were there. Good coasters, and from what I recall, some very friendly and curious birds in their aviary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
We get a DIS DAD card?
Yeah, it's that one in your wall that says "VISA" that you plunk down on all of the counters at Disney World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
Good news Dads I won my election yesterday and I am now a precinct delegate. The US House of Representatives candidate I am working for also won his primary and I enjoyed a great victory party last night.

Gary Peters you better start looking for a new job!
Congratulations!
When you start working your way up the political ladder, will you give us all cushy appointments? I call dibs on ambassador to Aruba.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #637
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Congratulations!
When you start working your way up the political ladder, will you give us all cushy appointments? I call dibs on ambassador to Aruba.

Also congrats, I'll take the Bahamas, thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #638
Explodo
There's Something About Mary (Poppins)

"ETA: Really?? Let the soap sit out for a few days and then jug fish with it?? New one on me..."

Nope...Just by a bar of soap...cut a cube about the size of a sugar cube...put it on a #3 circle hook...and go forth and catch fish.

It puts off a nice soapy trail that channel cats can't seem to resist.

I was dubious to begin with until I tried it...It honestly works. Last year I caught the snot out of em.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #639
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Yeah, it's that one in your wall that says "VISA" that you plunk down on all of the counters at Disney World.
Oh, that one, got Mickey on mine.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #640
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Not done a Disney cruise, and not sure I would spend the extra money. I am not a big cruise fan though. Many of the ports have armed military present - during the day. It is nice that the security is there, but kinda scary that this place I am walking around needs to have it. So, I don't want to venture far from the ship, but many do.

Carnival prices are excellent. Mobile, AL is the closest port to us. That is a really good price - which boat is it on? Food is included but alcohol is not. So, it is cheaper to smuggle that on board yourself. And, Carnival Cruise website itself offers really good deals, and will give you even better deals if you are frequent cruises with them (from a friend). Do you have your passport or enough time to get it?
We've done the Big Red Boat back in 96... but haven't done any other cruises. Yes... it is a REALLY good price... and it's on the Carnival Inspiration. Fortunately, we have our passport cards already from our trip to Canada last month. I am a little concerned about visiting Mexico considering some of the stories I've heard of the kidnappings... but I figure if we stay on Cozumel it can't be that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Two thoughts about Carnival. First, you generally get what you pay for, but on the other hand, you also get out of something, what you put into it.

Carnival is cheaper than all the other lines and far below the price point of DCL, and they accomplish that with a mixture of high volume and somewhat scaled back amenities. The bulk of their clientele is onboard either to gamble, or to drink (or both), but there are still plenty of cruisers that are just trying to enjoy themselves. You may run into a few overly rude passengers (or even rude crew members for that matter), but If you can stay out of the way of theses folks, you’ll be fine. The ships sailing from Tampa are older vessels done up in a lot pink, purple, mirrors and neon (a look designed to evoke Los Vegas of the 80s/90s). Some say the food is actually better, but individual tastes vary considerably. There are shows and entertainment, but not on the scale that you’ll find on most of the other lines (it certainly ain’t Dinsey). The bottom line here is that your expectations will dictate your overall experience. If you just want to relax by the pool and take in a couple of sites at a Mexican port, you’ll probably have a great time. If you expecting very high levels of service with great care given to details and the overall “experience” you may be disappointed. I’ve seen DCL vets both rave and chastise Carnival, but I think that any ship on the water has got to be better then my cubical at work.
Yeah... I hear what you are saying... and we are only looking for a relaxing, adventurous trip with no frills. This boat actually got upgraded in 2007 and has a waterpark for the kids (tube slide and all). Even has a 9 hole miniature golf course! Oh... and I was able to find some accounts on Flickr which had some good photos or their cruises... so I have an idea about the atmosphere to expect.
As for what to do on Cozumel... I figured we'd be beach it and grab some snorkels or something. Personally I'd like to go check out some old ruins or go cave diving, but not too sure about being THAT adventurous

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #641
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodo View Post
"ETA: Really?? Let the soap sit out for a few days and then jug fish with it?? New one on me..."

Nope...Just by a bar of soap...cut a cube about the size of a sugar cube...put it on a #3 circle hook...and go forth and catch fish.

It puts off a nice soapy trail that channel cats can't seem to resist.

I was dubious to begin with until I tried it...It honestly works. Last year I caught the snot out of em.

Well, I'll be.....I might have to try it next time....what the heck, will smell better than stink bait anyway...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #642
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not lettin' that one go are you Zerfass??
hey, i didnt say a thing about the spinners.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #643
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

well, i found out this afternoon, my brother in law who has been fighting limphoma since christmas, has been going through a stem cell collection for a stem cell transplant. they cant get enough through his blood so on aug 17th hes going to get 15-25 holes drilled into his hips to collect bone marrow so they can get the rest of the stem cells he needs. if it goes ok, he will start an 8 day intense cemo than have a stem cell transplant. he and my sisiter will be at the univ. of pa. in philly for atleast 3 weeks. if anyone has an extra favors, he could use one.hes been fighting hard for 9 months. dw and i will be in philly on aug 10th and the 18th for her radiation treatments to get set up. hopefully they will be able to do them in allentown which is 10 miles away instead of philly which is 60 miles away. its been a long summer around here. dw cant wait to get this over with, we have been dealing with this since april and she ready to get started on the next step.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #644
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I forget, what color worms did I send you.....Pretty sure I sent Watermelon Red Zoom Vibra tails?

Anyway, here's what you do:

Put on the LIGHTEST Tungsten weight you have....tie on one of the 3/0 Hooks. Texas rig one of them...should look like this rigged up...rig it as straight as you can...

Check it in the water and make sure the weight is heavy enough to "make the tail work" in the water.

Cast it out toward the attractors and the trees and let it sink on a slack line until it hits the bottom. Then, lift the rod tip, and drop it back down. Reel in slack, repeat...

If you feel that line jump or see it swim off....SET THE HOOK!!!!

Post Pictures!

That's how this one got caught

the fish has an outline around it fed, thats not "computer inhanced" is it???

Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #645
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
the fish has an outline around it fed, thats not "computer inhanced" is it???
Nope. But it is now.

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: