Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #3661
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
OK, Its proud parent time (and I did warn yall that this would be coming up ). As those of you whove suffered through my previous band-geek posts know, my DS is one of the members of one very fine South Carolina High school band. Well, they earned their way into the Class-3A State finals and succeeded in marching away with a second consecutive state championship. There are two amazing things about this (beyond it being a testament to how hard the all the kids have worked this year). First; the school is only in its fourth year (this years seniors are the first class to have attend only this school) and second; to win the title, we had to get by our cross-town rivals who this year moved down from 4A into our classification (and who have a total of 22 championships if three different classes and were widely believed to be unbeatable ). Honestly, when they announced it, I nearly fell out. We were just completely floored. The final scores were very, very, v-e-r-y close. We ended up at 96.25, which is one of the highest scores posted by any band in any class in the state this year, but it was only 0.05 ahead of our nemesis (but it was ahead ). The kids also took home the trophies for Best Music (thats the one were really proudest of), best Drum Line, and a tie for Best Visual Effect. One dang fine day if I do say so myself.

Its pictures like this one, that tell you that every bit of work we put into to it each year is absolutely worth it.
(by the way, Max is the one on the right)
Awesome!! Now that really is a moment to be proud about! WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDr. View Post

Me, DW, DS6 and DS3.
Very nice! Double kudos to you! I didn't even put on a costume this year

Quote:
And just for giggles, heres an idea of just how much gear the kids and parent volunteers had to handle
just to keep this show on the road.

And all of that

And all that stuff too.

Its a lot like moving a circus but we have to set up the tent, perform and break it all back down in under
fifteen minutes (with ten of that being the actual performance). Lord Im still tired just thinking about it.
Wow. Just wow. That's a lot of work sitting there...

Quote:
Thanks!! We are just proud beyond words. But, the award for self-control actually goes to the kids. Picture this: 130 high school kids between the ages of 14 and 18; standing at attention on a field along with 18 other similar groups; who have just been told they won a state championship (and beat their nemesis doing it); and not one of them (not one) even moves a mussel until after the very end of the announcements and even then only after their director dismissed them!!! That is professionalism. I got to tell you, when we heard it, we were up in the stands and I literally buckled at the knees (good thing I was leaning against the press box of Id have fallen over ).
What were they doing with all those mussels? Sorry... couldn't help that one! Seriously... they didn't move at all??? You've got some very disciplined, fine young men and women in that group. When can we see this action on YouTube??
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #3662
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Uh oh... we're coming up on page 250 pretty quickly! You guys know what that means, right? Yep... DDC VI is on the horizon. Since we still have a couple days to go before I need to get the new thread going I figured I'd open up the floor to suggestions for anything to be added/removed to the club on the first page. Feel free to either list them here or send me a PM.

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #3663
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Uh oh... we're coming up on page 250 pretty quickly! You guys know what that means, right? Yep... DDC VI is on the horizon. Since we still have a couple days to go before I need to get the new thread going I figured I'd open up the floor to suggestions for anything to be added/removed to the club on the first page. Feel free to either list them here or send me a PM.

I would like to see Whom is who's nemesis.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #3664
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Not a bad idea! I hope Don has those posts bookmarked!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #3665
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Indeed! Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Not a bad idea! I hope Don has those posts bookmarked!
I think I may need to delegate this task to someone who has the most nemesiseseses... I wonder who that would be??

Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #3666
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

I hope this month goes quick

In 30 days some Dis Dads will be in WDW, some will be on thier way, some will be packing, and some will be going later in Dec.

When we all started talking about it at day 342 (or someting like that) it seemed so far away.

Now everyone is ready to make the trip to the Happiest place on Earth

Dadfest Dec 2010
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #3667
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Hey! My reservations are now showing up in the My Reservations page!! I guess I can cancel them without calling now

Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #3668
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Wow! Really?!? That much? I hear ya... I still try to do all my car work myself, but it's getting harder. Ironically, I just purchased this weekend a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for $49! Tired (pun intended) of paying these shops almost $40 a tire to mount and balance them. I tend to be pretty hard on my tires... they only last a couple of years tops! Yeah, I'm still young
I hear you. The only thing is, once you wrestle a tire off the rim, wrestle the new one on, fight with it to seat the bead and realize you've spent half a day on 1 tire that money doesn't seem quite so bad. Now if I just had a garage full of the pneumatic tools the pros have to do that suff....

Quote:
Good idea. I only know of about 2 pairs of nemeses around here though.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #3669
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Beverly slow Photopass site is making it difficult for me to multi-task productively while on conference calls.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #3670
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I hear you. The only thing is, once you wrestle a tire off the rim, wrestle the new one on, fight with it to seat the bead and realize you've spent half a day on 1 tire that money doesn't seem quite so bad. Now if I just had a garage full of the pneumatic tools the pros have to do that suff....
Surprisingly enough, I bought it Friday night... temporarily mounted it to 3/4" plywood to see if it would work on Saturday... only took me about 30 minutes to take my very first tire off and back on. This was a 205/55/16 tire on my stock aluminum rim. Found out quickly how the steel bar can mark up the rim. Spent another 30 minutes figuring out how to prevent future markings. I was able to fashion some high density plastic around the tips to prevent markings/marring... works like a champ! Now it takes me about 15 minutes to get a tire off and back on Haven't tackled the bubble balancer yet, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Beverly slow Photopass site is making it difficult for me to multi-task productively while on conference calls.
Has that site ever been fast Seriously, when I tried to use it in May EVERY time I tried to use the site it took FOREVER.........

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #3671
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Wow! Really?!? That much? I hear ya... I still try to do all my car work myself, but it's getting harder. Ironically, I just purchased this weekend a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for $49! Tired (pun intended) of paying these shops almost $40 a tire to mount and balance them. I tend to be pretty hard on my tires... they only last a couple of years tops! Yeah, I'm still young
I wasn't paying attention this summer and both of my snowblower tires went flat and popped off the bead. I'm pretty sure I'll be better of just buying new ones...
Quote:
I think I may need to delegate this task to someone who has the most nemesiseseses... I wonder who that would be??
IT'S TIM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post

In 30 days some Dis Dads will be in WDW, some will be on thier way, some will be packing, and some will be going later in Dec.

When we all started talking about it at day 342 (or someting like that) it seemed so far away.

Dadfest Dec 2010
I know! I glanced at my signature the other day, saw I was down to like 35 days and thought "oh, oh. I've still got stuff to get ready!"

Quote:
Using that site is like walking through Peanut Butter. No, really, I mean peanut butter. Although, I guess you could substitute one of Peanut Butter's other meanings, but then you shoes get all smelly.

Quote:
Has that site ever been fast Seriously, when I tried to use it in May EVERY time I tried to use the site it took FOREVER.........
I can't decide, so I'll leave it up to a vote. What should my response to this have been?
Kind of like someone's Trip Report, huh?
or
Is that what we're blaming the speed of your trip report on now?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #3672
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Dave, that is just too cool for words. Where did you get the relief medallion attached to the side?

As for colors to repaint it With no obligation implied in any way, if it were mine (and I just may now need to acquire a similar one), Id paint the top half Black and the bottom half Red, and I might even be tempted to paint two buttons onto the door (I might also be tempted to add the proper colors to the characters on the medallion as well, but that would be a good bit of work).
thats a good idea!!!! i may buy i plan whaite one and have it painted red and black. thanks for the idea. my wife bought it on the disney store web site about 5-6 years ago. theres a medallion on each side and the color of the box was a greens,antiquey looking thing. it has some weight to it. i think she got it for about $50.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #3673
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Dadfest Dec 2010
in four weeks from now, ill be crossong over the maryland,virginia state line on int81,almost to int66!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #3674
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
I have 1 nemesi!

Barry has 1/2 the DDC on his side. I think he need to start searching!

Quote:
AGREED!!!!!!

Quote:

Dadfest Dec 2010
We are 29 days away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hey! My reservations are now showing up in the My Reservations page!! I guess I can cancel them without calling now
Hope you aren't hoarding them like many people I see doing over on the DEC canceled thread....

Quote:
That is the worst site evah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
IT'S TIM!

Exactly the response I expected out of you!

Quote:
Using that site is like walking through Peanut Butter. No, really, I mean peanut butter. Although, I guess you could substitute one of Peanut Butter's other meanings, but then you shoes get all smelly.
LOL

Quote:
I can't decide, so I'll leave it up to a vote. What should my response to this have been?
Kind of like someone's Trip Report, huh?
or
Is that what we're blaming the speed of your trip report on now?
I think the first one gets right to the point!

246 P'OWNAGE!!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #3675
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, I bought it Friday night... temporarily mounted it to 3/4" plywood to see if it would work on Saturday... only took me about 30 minutes to take my very first tire off and back on. This was a 205/55/16 tire on my stock aluminum rim. Found out quickly how the steel bar can mark up the rim. Spent another 30 minutes figuring out how to prevent future markings. I was able to fashion some high density plastic around the tips to prevent markings/marring... works like a champ! Now it takes me about 15 minutes to get a tire off and back on Haven't tackled the bubble balancer yet, though!
You know, I've never thought about it, but I've never tried to mount a tire for a passenger vehicle. I've done farm equipment and heavy trucks, but I guess I've always just taken our vehicles to the shop because I felt like it was quicker and easier. One of my trucks has 285/75/16 on after market rims and I'm afraid of doing something to them. I might have to try it next time though, because I'm pretty much fed up with my tire shop. Last time my truck was in there for an alignment I went around a lefthand curve, heard a pop and the truck jerked to the right... got home and the upper control arm bolts on the right front suspension were finger tight. That's just the most recent and most severe mishap with them. Still need to find a new place to go for an alignment though.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: