Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #3046
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
When I was 19, I got nailed in the Mach 1 (still have) 138 in a 35.
At the time my father was a cop, so I got off light with a tic for laying down a patch of rubber at the light, I think it was either careless or reckless, whatever one was 2pts & $60 fine (at the time)
WOW! That is impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Only 103 over???? Seriously???? Weak
LOL

I can't even go 103 in my Ford E250.. it is governed at 93!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #3047
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

x
Quote:
Originally Posted by etail View Post
While I sit out conversations on sports, I am enjoying the DCI and band threads.
That’s one of the really great things about this group. It’s very diverse and yet we all pretty much agree on the requirements of being there as a Dad and that there is just something about Disney that turns us all back into little kids.

As for every other (off) topic, we just join in wherever it catches our fancy. If you got something that just lights a fire to you imagination, I say: post something about it here. You might just spark a unique conversation or run across someone else that’s just as warped as you.

Quote:
I was drum major in HS band (big 300+ member high school band), drum majored with Scottish bag pipe bands (any excuse to wear a skirt apparently) and watched several DCI event in Allentown, PA. But my son took up violin and ther ain't no marching band for fiddlers...
Drum Major you say (and 300+). Cool! When I was in the music department back in school (I mean: w-a-y b-a-c-k), we only had about 90 kids total and my senior class only had about 12 musicians, but most of us are still in the biz either teaching or performing. I’m glad to hear that your DS is carrying on your family tradition. The world needs more fiddlers. I honestly think it ought to be a law that everyone should at least learn the basics for at least one musical instrument. Then no mater what, evey person would have at least one thing in common that transcends their background, class, race, nationality and even language. That would be good for all of us.

Quote:
When I was 19, I got nailed in the Mach 1 (still have) 138 in a 35.
At the time my father was a cop, so I got off light with a tic for laying down a patch of rubber at the light, I think it was either careless or reckless, whatever one was 2pts & $60 fine (at the time)
Good to have friends in high places. I drove cars that stuck out either visually or audibly when I was younger. The net result of that was in essence like waving a red flag at every cop I encountered (young punk; fast car; instant ticket). I’ve paid my share of fines, and got it all out of my system. It’s just expensive. Now I’m not so young, I stick to “boring looking” cars and make sure that there is always at least one other driver in the area that’s traveling faster then I am.

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 10-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #3048
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
x

Good to have friends in high places. I drove cars that stuck out either visually or audibly when I was younger. The net result of that was in essence like waving a red flag at every cop I encountered (young punk; fast car; instant ticket). I’ve paid my share of fines, and got it all out of my system. It’s just expensive. Now I’m not so young, I stick to “boring looking” cars and make sure that there is always at least one other driver in the area that’s traveling faster then I am.

Can't really race around town anymore, everything is built up, way too many cars around, roads are all patched up, plus police forces have gotten huge ( seems like you pass a couple every 2 minutes around here)

Funny thing is now I'm about 20 years ahead of my time with my everyday car Town Car (you might think they are old men cars, but they got a V8 and can move) Plus the wifes Grand Caravan, (she never had a fast car, she wants me to get her a new Challenger)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #3049
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
(she never had a fast car, she wants me to get her a new Challenger)
Hmmm... can't argue with that logic.

My wife keeps telling me I should get rid of one of my trucks and get a Camaro... problem with that is that I live on a farm and on a road that the snow plow drivers seem to forget exists. I'll be keeping my trucks, but if I win the lottery or something....
Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #3050
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
While I sit out conversations on sports, I am enjoying the DCI and band threads.

I was drum major in HS band (big 300+ member high school band), drum majored with Scottish bag pipe bands (any excuse to wear a skirt apparently) and watched several DCI event in Allentown, PA. But my son took up violin and ther ain't no marching band for fiddlers...
allentown stadium is about 25 min. from my house. liberty high school in bethlehem pa has a big bag pipe band. they travel all over the world. they go to england every so often to play for the queen. ive seen than also at the mk a few years ago.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #3051
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
... i listen to just about eveything from ac/dc to bach.yes, i can listen to classical. (there are a few that i dont listen to. if it has the words, yo-yo-yo in it or yeeehawww, it gets turned off.)
Same here and I'll raise you my new pet peeve. Any song where the performer feels the need to spell... this of course excludes Lynyrd Skynyrds "Double Trouble."
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #3052
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
Same here and I'll raise you my new pet peeve. Any song where the performer feels the need to spell... this of course excludes Lynyrd Skynyrds "Double Trouble."
Don't forget any song where they say thier name in it, if they have to push the group or singer that much so people know who are, it's probably not worth listening to
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #3053
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
Hay, a new member!

Glad to have you along. Emma’s Dad should be around in a while to bestow you with our coveted DDC-Membership-Number.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #3054
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

I'm on my way home from D.C. (well, almost - flight boards in about 1/2 hour), but I got some great news from my office just as this morning's deposition was wrapping up. We finally got a decision in pair of consolidated cases we tried last year. After consuming 18 months of my life, 17 days of trial, over 100 pages of post trial briefing (from our side alone), and 8 months of waiting, the judge affirmed 12 Willful violations and assessed over $850,000 in penalties! It's a big, important, trial victory, and just about everything the judge DIDN'T decide in our favor, we'd explicitly warned the client (in writing) might be problems.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #3055
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Hay, a new member!

Glad to have you along. Emma’s Dad should be around in a while to bestow you with our coveted DDC-Membership-Number.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I knew I belonged in this group when I read the criteria and realized that I relate to 80 of the 129.

1. Your passion for Disney equals that of a 7 year old kid.
2. You have a wife that thinks you are a big kid.
4. You get more excited than your kids when a trip to WDW is planned (or the excitement at least equals that of your kids).
5. When you say your prayers you ask for God to inspire the Imagineers to come up with fresh new ideas.
6. When planning family reunions, class reunions, and job conventions you always plan them at Disney World.
8. You planned your next Disney trip the day after returning from Disney World.
11. Your portfolio includes stock in Disney.
12. You have friends and family that do not understand why you vacation in WDW every year (or at least talk about doing it).
13. You have Disney songs on your MP3 player.
14. You have Disney Ringtones for your cell phone.
15. You have everything Disney for wallpapers and screensavers.
16. You have Disney Fonts and Icons as well.
18. You have Disney knicknacks all over your "man cave/dude room/office."
19. You drink your coffee from one of your multiple Disney mugs.
22. You have an Animated Mickey Watch.
24. You have Goofy PJs and slippers, Mickey PJs and bathrobe and a lot of other Disney clothing.
25. You have Disney Character ties to wear (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.).
26. You have a Disney background on your laptop with a count down calender on it.
27. All of your family photos seem to be taken at WDW.
29. You constantly watch disney movies.
30. You have a disney CD in your car or truck right now.
31. You have trivia contests in the car with your wife like "name all the attractions at Epcot going counter-clockwise."
32. When you and your wife are reading the DISboards she asks you "what is ToT, RnRR, EE and BTMRR, and you know the answers.
33. You can name the exact day and year each park opened but when asked by your wife when her birthday is you draw a blank (Just a joke ladies... You wives know we DIS Dads love ya).
34. You sold your Disney stock so you could buy into the DVC.
35. You wear a matching Disney shirt with your kids to the parks.
37. You listen a WDW podcast or park music (ie, the old Illuminations pre show) while working out in the gym.
38. Your boss quits asking where you are going on vacation - he already knows.
39. You DO call DVC your second home.
42. You put the sound from the Disney Cruise line "Magic" horns on your truck.

*** Close- That is the ring tone for text messages on my phone.***

43. You don't want to fix the musty smell in your damp basement because it reminds you of the Pirates of the Caribbean cave.
44. You swore that when you had kids that they'd get to experience the world. Little did you know that once you experienced "THE WORLD" you would be hooked!
45. Your kids get a kick out of a grown man (YOU) becoming a kid as soon as the Disney subject comes up.
47. You did your best to "brainwash" your kids early so they wouldn't have any problem ever wanting to go on a Disney Vacation.
48. You only feel fulfilled when you know you have another trip on the horizon.
49. You can't decide if you want to go on a Disney Cruise, to Walt Disney World, or to Disneyland for your next vacation (if you can afford it the Disney Resorts over seas are in the equation as well).
50. Your office is like a shrine to Disney and it gets bigger and bigger every year.
51. You use your kids as an excuse for all the people who ask why you're going back to WDW again. "It's for the kids!" Although the people who know you best know not to believe that.
52. You have a special savings account that you started when your daughter was born so that she will have a Disney Wedding.
53. Simply put...there is no place you would rather go on vacation than at WDW, Disneyland, on a Disney Cruise, or at any of the Disney resorts over seas.
56. Your mom gave you your first Mickey on the day you were born, and then you gave your son his first Mickey the day he was born.
57. You're just waiting for Fantasia to get released so you can complete your collection of Disney Animated videos (The real classics, not the sequels).

*** And now I'm doing the same with Blu-Ray ***

60. You've been to Walt Disney World too many times to count. It almost feels like you grew up there.
61. You know you are a DIS Dad's Club member when your mother in law says you have a "Disney problem."
63. While watching a show that you recorded on the TiVO, you forwarded through the commercials but stopped and watched the WDW commercials. Even the ones that you have seen hundreds of times.
68. Your kids insist on going to Disney every vacation. When you ask if they're getting tired of it yet, they look at you like you've grown a second head.
69. You have Mickey, Donald, and Goofy sleepwear.
70. Your wife wakes you up in the middle of the night because you've been talking about Disney in your sleep again.
71. Every month you rotate the metal license plates on your cars (Disney Cruise line, Animal Kingdom, MGM , Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Donald official fan club).
74. When it comes to Disney World you just can't get enough!!! No matter how many times you go!
75. You know all the words to Wishes, Magic, Music and Mayhem, Happy HalloWishes, and Holiday Wishes.
76. You listen to the Happy HalloWishes and Holiday Wishes music no matter what time of the year it is.
77. It is easier to list all of the criteria here that do not apply to you than it is to list the ones that do.
78. You have Disney character golf club covers.
79. You have helped plan many Disney vacations for fellow employees in your department. Now you are getting phone calls from other departments asking, "Hey are you the guy I need to talk to about planning my Disney Vacation?"

*** Also helps that DW (Grafxgirl) is a certified Disney Travel Agent....***

81. Your passion for Disney is strong but you would rather get soaked before using your wife's/daughter's Tinker Bell umbrella.
82. Your Christmas tree has all Disney ornaments on it.
83. You have a DVC decal on your minivan.
96. Amendment: #81 does not apply to you. You WOULD use your wife's/daughter's Tinkerbell umbrella!
98. You hooked up the laptop to your TV so that you could watch Youtube videos of WDW.
99. You've gone to disney for so many vacations that your kids think the word "vacation" is just a short way to say, "Trip to Disneyworld."
102. You can identify Disney restaurants by their signature food (Tonga Toast, etc.)
103. You have at least one "souvenir" (child) from your trip.
104. You have antenna toppers on all your vehicles, even at work(looks really cool on construction, aircraft support vehicles and aircraft).
105. You know the roads at and around WDW better then your own neighborhood.
106. Your wife can't tell the Disney princesses apart, but you can.
107. You have so many Disney shirts you have to decide which ones to take and which ones to leave home when you leave for vacation.
113. You are a Disney Dad that has been to Disney almost every year of your adult life.
114. Your wife tells your kids that they are the luckiest kids in the world to have a dad that loves disney.
115. When you bought a new mini-van...instead of kicking the tires and looking under the hood...you checked out all the stow-n-go features and was planning on where to put our luggage for your next trip to WDW.
116. You listen to the soundtrack for Wishes and Spectromagic on your MP3 player at work.
117. Sometimes you feel like you are more excited about being able to take your Family to WDW... than they are about going...and they get pretty excited.
118. You have endured or are willing to endure the hazing process to become a DIS Dad's Club Member which involves...... Walking until your legs and feet ache, crowded queues with hundreds of strangers, standing in the hot Florida sun until your skin burns, and finally emptying your wallet of any savings.
119. You play the "please stand clear of the doors" monorail spiel as you pressed the auto-close button for the kid's sliding door in the minivan.
120. You struggle to keep the minivan from pulling towards the south while on the outerbelt
122. You own a silicone Mickey that forms pancakes like a Mickey head.
124. You buy championship gear for your whole family after your team wins a Super Bowl/World Series/NBA Finals/Stanley Cup/BCS/CWS/Final Four with the intention of "going to Disney World" to rep your team.
125. You find and download on iTunes backround music from your favorite resort.
127. You DVR every special on any channel which has to do with WDW, DCL or Disneyland and then put it on when you or your DW have had a rough day.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #3056
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Now, my dinner plans for tonight with an old college friend have fallen through (sick kids), and I'm going to be stuck at a hotel near Dulles Airport. Any DIS Dads in the D.C. Area up for dinner or a beer this evening? I could definitely use a drink.
Very sorry I missed seeing this yesterday, as I live a few miles from Dulles and could have gotten you fed and beered. I wasn't ignoring you, I was ignoring the entire site.

DIS Dads Member #432
Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #3057
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
I'm on my way home from D.C. (well, almost - flight boards in about 1/2 hour), but I got some great news from my office just as this morning's deposition was wrapping up. We finally got a decision in pair of consolidated cases we tried last year. After consuming 18 months of my life, 17 days of trial, over 100 pages of post trial briefing (from our side alone), and 8 months of waiting, the judge affirmed 12 Willful violations and assessed over $850,000 in penalties! It's a big, important, trial victory, and just about everything the judge DIDN'T decide in our favor, we'd explicitly warned the client (in writing) might be problems.
That's great to hear! Congratulations!
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

Old 10-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #3058
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I'm looking for some Disney related advice from a good group of guys...

My wife and I were having the conversation a couple of days ago about where to go for vacation in 2011. She of course, mentioned St. Pete Beach. I said "hmmm.... maybe a day or 2... but what do you think about Disney World???" (I'm not a beach person, I get bored after about 2 hours. I want to do something. If I'm going to sit outside with a cold drink I'd prefer to sit with friends and family watching the deer in my woods as opposed surrounded by a mass of humanity in front of the ocean)

Here's my dilemma... We'll have about a week to go + weekends. She wants a couple of days in St. Pete, but I've already pretty much convinced her to drop that requirement if we can stay at one of the nice resorts that have a beach. We would typically be looking at value resorts only, but in this case, and if it will please her, I'd be willing to pony up the extra money. Granted I've always thought if I ever stayed in a deluxe it would be the Contemporary (I mean come on, a monorail goes through it!!! I've dreamed of staying there since I was 4). I've seen pictures and read a little bit about the different resorts, but as far as a relaxed, beach like atmosphere with a good pool what are some expert opinions? Even if the "nicer resort" card doesn't play out, I might just have to steal some of the plans that Emma's Dad has worked out and work a few days to the Gulf Coast into the mix.

Also, we're going to be taking our son on his first trip. He will be 1 on Jan 25. I know he won't remember anything, but it won't cost anymore to take him so who cares?? For us it will be all about seeing his reaction to the sights and sounds. We could maybe do mid to late June, but I'd like to wait until later in the year when the little guy is closer to 2 than 1. I'd love to go the week before labor day, but my wife coaches HS volleyball and I farm, so we would probably be looking at late Nov to early Dec to travel. The only problem is I've been told we can't go when it is too hot (and hence July was not considered) or when it is too cold to go to the pool (now I'm a bit concerned).

I'm kind of thinking of flying down on Sat or Sun (weekend 12/3 or 12/10) and staying 5 or 6 nights. I'd prefer the first week, but I'm assuming that will parade weekend. Wouldn't be a huge deal though, because it would be later in the day Sat that we'd get there and could avoid MK for the first couple of days. I've never gone anytime other than July and I have no experience with any of the currently operational resorts except POP. Any and all advice as I begin planning and trying to twist the wife's arm would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be long-winded, but I know there is a lot of experience around here and thought this would be a good place to solicit advice about resorts and timing. Now if you excuse me, I'll be working on some of these magic spreadsheets I've heard so much about around here.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3059
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I'm looking for some Disney related advice from a good group of guys...

My wife and I were having the conversation a couple of days ago about where to go for vacation in 2011. She of course, mentioned St. Pete Beach. I said "hmmm.... maybe a day or 2... but what do you think about Disney World???" (I'm not a beach person, I get bored after about 2 hours. I want to do something. If I'm going to sit outside with a cold drink I'd prefer to sit with friends and family watching the deer in my woods as opposed surrounded by a mass of humanity in front of the ocean)

Here's my dilemma... We'll have about a week to go + weekends. She wants a couple of days in St. Pete, but I've already pretty much convinced her to drop that requirement if we can stay at one of the nice resorts that have a beach. We would typically be looking at value resorts only, but in this case, and if it will please her, I'd be willing to pony up the extra money. Granted I've always thought if I ever stayed in a deluxe it would be the Contemporary (I mean come on, a monorail goes through it!!! I've dreamed of staying there since I was 4). I've seen pictures and read a little bit about the different resorts, but as far as a relaxed, beach like atmosphere with a good pool what are some expert opinions? Even if the "nicer resort" card doesn't play out, I might just have to steal some of the plans that Emma's Dad has worked out and work a few days to the Gulf Coast into the mix.

Also, we're going to be taking our son on his first trip. He will be 1 on Jan 25. I know he won't remember anything, but it won't cost anymore to take him so who cares?? For us it will be all about seeing his reaction to the sights and sounds. We could maybe do mid to late June, but I'd like to wait until later in the year when the little guy is closer to 2 than 1. I'd love to go the week before labor day, but my wife coaches HS volleyball and I farm, so we would probably be looking at late Nov to early Dec to travel. The only problem is I've been told we can't go when it is too hot (and hence July was not considered) or when it is too cold to go to the pool (now I'm a bit concerned).

I'm kind of thinking of flying down on Sat or Sun (weekend 12/3 or 12/10) and staying 5 or 6 nights. I'd prefer the first week, but I'm assuming that will parade weekend. Wouldn't be a huge deal though, because it would be later in the day Sat that we'd get there and could avoid MK for the first couple of days. I've never gone anytime other than July and I have no experience with any of the currently operational resorts except POP. Any and all advice as I begin planning and trying to twist the wife's arm would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be long-winded, but I know there is a lot of experience around here and thought this would be a good place to solicit advice about resorts and timing. Now if you excuse me, I'll be working on some of these magic spreadsheets I've heard so much about around here.
well going late nov into early dec. stay in the november range. the first two weeks of december is a heavy dvc time. the points are the cheapest so renting points would be a problem. november is a nice time to go. as far as resorts, i like the contemp. my self but if you need a beach, you have the grand flor.(big $!!!!) beach club but thats dvc or the car. beach resort. september is another good time to go.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #3060
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
WOW! That is impressive...

LOL

I can't even go 103 in my Ford E250.. it is governed at 93!
traded in my Jeep CJ for the DW's new VW Super Beetle Turbo Convertible. Found out on the way to work oe morning as a coworker passed me that it is limited to 130mph. Why would you limit a fine German peice of machinary to ONLY 130mph?
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: