Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #286
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
I played into college......average player as well.....played club level in college...did play against some bigger schools Navy, Niagra univ., BUffalo state, john caroll....
Haven't really played much lately...still skate, trying to get my 2 boys into it....they did get into the game program here this past winter...was a good deal...$200 they got 8 classes/sessions , 5 free public skating passes, and full gear. Yes I said full gear...The only thing we had to buy was a cup and a mouthguard....
Me growing up it was way dif. with pops playing all the time, I was really into it....now as a dad, I am way to outta shape to be playing in a mens league, to inspire them...So My new sights are set for this winter....I am putting up a rink here @ my house! I just hope we get a good, cold winter here in western pa. to make it worth while.....I want to get a nice rink set up with just low boards to keep the puck in..no dashers....I think I may start out with their 20X40 kit to see how much use/pita it is.....
many folks around you do that?

You'd be surpised at how many out of shape guys are in my league - me included. Ususally the big discussion is who is going to bring the beer for the locker room after the game.

As for the outdoor rink, I know a few guys who have done that. I have not because I don't have the property for it. I have looked into it, though. It is a pita by me because it just does not get cold enough for a length of time to make it wortwhile.

One friend was turned down by my town for a permit to put a compressor in - he has twin boys who play and would get a lot of use out of it.

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #287
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

should a got one of these...
http://www.nicerink.com/store/produc...&cat=31&page=1
it says its portable...maybe get around the zoning folks that way!

and I would be sucking wind before the first shift ended! damn cigs (
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #288
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
should a got one of these...
http://www.nicerink.com/store/produc...&cat=31&page=1
it says its portable...maybe get around the zoning folks that way!

and I would be sucking wind before the first shift ended! damn cigs (
And at $26,000, quite a bargain.

DisneyDaddy-O (Nick) builds a rink every year. Well, not really "builds" it as much as shovels the snow off the frozen lake behind his house north of Toronto.
I like hockey, but I've never played. We didn't have any youth leagues out in the sticks where I grew up. I skated a little when I was younger, but have recently started again since the gym/athletic complex we joined has two rinks. Call me crazy, but at 31, I'm thinking of taking up hockey.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #289
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post
crud...
It’s tough keeping up with y’all. Given my employers restrictions on internet usage, I dare not login and post anything, and even attempting to follow along can be risky. As such, I always seem to be seven pages and three conversations behind before I can even try to chime in. If it weren’t for being able to head out to the house for lunch, I’d miss nearly everything around here. So again I say: “Crud…”

Hummm… “Crud…”, just might need to become an accepted one word post for anyone around here that is just so slammed by life that the can’t even take a break long enough to even check in. I doubt it’s a good enough idea to declare a Man Law, but it perfectly fits my mood when I’ve had enough of the rest of the world.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #290
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
And at $26,000, quite a bargain.

DisneyDaddy-O (Nick) builds a rink every year. Well, not really "builds" it as much as shovels the snow off the frozen lake behind his house north of Toronto.
I like hockey, but I've never played. We didn't have any youth leagues out in the sticks where I grew up. I skated a little when I was younger, but have recently started again since the gym/athletic complex we joined has two rinks. Call me crazy, but at 31, I'm thinking of taking up hockey.
Only $26k? Pocket change! I'll just switch from a Bay Lake view to a Garden Wing Standard View.

As far as taking up the game at age 31, I say go for it! They have men's leagues for any level. A guy on my team started playing in his late 30s when his sons started playing. Now he plays in 3 leagues, pickup games all the time, etc. and he has developed into a decent player. His biggest obstacle, aside from learning how to skate, is that he never received structured "coaching" at that age. He relies on experience from watching games and tips he picks up from other players.

Once you start playing, you will notice a definite difference in how you watch a hockey game. It is hard to describe, but every player I've met will tell you the same thing.

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #291
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
It’s tough keeping up with y’all. Given my employers restrictions on internet usage, I dare not login and post anything, and even attempting to follow along can be risky. As such, I always seem to be seven pages and three conversations behind before I can even try to chime in. If it weren’t for being able to head out to the house for lunch, I’d miss nearly everything around here. So again I say: “Crud…”

Hummm… “Crud…”, just might need to become an accepted one word post for anyone around here that is just so slammed by life that the can’t even take a break long enough to even check in. I doubt it’s a good enough idea to declare a Man Law, but it perfectly fits my mood when I’ve had enough of the rest of the world.
Oh yeah... MAN LAW

There have been many times I feel the same way!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #292
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Oh yeah... MAN LAW

There have been many times I feel the same way!
2ND
Go away for a week and it takes you a day and a half to read everything you guys talk about.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #293
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

Crud
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #294
KTME
DIS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_oblivious View Post

it's easy to be a yankees fan. It's much harder to stick with teams whose championships seem to come around as often as halley's comet. You have to be true fan to be able to do that.

Or a masochist.
E*A*G*L*E*S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
oh yeah... man law

there have been many times i feel the same way!

crud......

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #295
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
a new home!!!!

Chillcoupons......I think I know you.....me....McCort 88..Played hockey, their first three yrs!.....I know a LOT of folks that grad. in 86......lawnball? if you started the page in FB..then I do know you....I am better friends with your younger bro and sis, but you would know me as well.....

Hey...where is the club application? I wanna join in the fun!
heres a brief bio...
me...39.....turning the big 4-0 on 8/12...Dw..42..Ds 11..Dd 8...Ds 6 and a Mil..66(?)
live in western pa....I am and artist and also work for the local newspaper....
we are in the process of buying into DVC..contract is actually @ disney foe rofr now...
hope to get down there and stay onsite around the 3 or 4th week of sept.

glad to meet ya'll!
welcome to the club!!! looks like another pa to me. i think we are leading again.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #296
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTME View Post
E*A*G*L*E*S

crud......
did someone post e a g l e s ??

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #297
KTME
DIS Dad

I am a true fan....or a glutton for punishment.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #298
Explodo
There's Something About Mary (Poppins)

New Complaint...

So my DW (Bless Her Heart) thinks planning for a disney trip means little more than booking the hotel/tickets and securing airline tickets. She does this with an agility that is aweworthy...

NOw...to me...There are more details to planning than she cares to discuss (Adr's...PArk plans...BBB/Pirates, MNSSHP...Nap times...etc, you know the drill)

So I just got everything lined out for our septemeber trip...got it done about 10pm last night. I walk into the room and say "It's all done!" She looks at me and says..."Well...I had most of it done before you started."

TAlk about a kick in the stones...Oh well, when things work out like a well oiled machine...she can take credit for it. That's our Yob right?

(I even secretly booked her a spa treatment...This whole trip was supposed to be a secret until disney busted me out with mailing. Once she figured out the spy games...she jumped in with both feet)

There...I have vented...I feel better.

My Name is Explodo and I'm a Dis Dad.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #299
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTME View Post
I am a true fan....or a glutton for punishment.
i seems they have been showing more of m.v. than cobb on the news frrom lehigh?? what the heck, the western part of pa has a rapest, the east is gonna have a dog killer. makein the state proud!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #300
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodo View Post
New Complaint...

So my DW (Bless Her Heart) thinks planning for a disney trip means little more than booking the hotel/tickets and securing airline tickets. She does this with an agility that is aweworthy...

NOw...to me...There are more details to planning than she cares to discuss (Adr's...PArk plans...BBB/Pirates, MNSSHP...Nap times...etc, you know the drill)

So I just got everything lined out for our septemeber trip...got it done about 10pm last night. I walk into the room and say "It's all done!" She looks at me and says..."Well...I had most of it done before you started."

TAlk about a kick in the stones...Oh well, when things work out like a well oiled machine...she can take credit for it. That's our Yob right?

(I even secretly booked her a spa treatment...This whole trip was supposed to be a secret until disney busted me out with mailing. Once she figured out the spy games...she jumped in with both feet)

There...I have vented...I feel better.

My Name is Explodo and I'm a Dis Dad.
my dw gave up years ago trying to plan anything. she just wants to know what time is a.i.s. so shes not left behind.

Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: