Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #1546
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
On a far more Somber note...it's a tough day for a couple of buddies who are parents..

My first Sgt at my old PD...his 15 year old daughter passed away yesterday from cancer. Fought it to the bitter end. I remember when she was born. She used to come in and crawl all around us in the Detective office and for years we were her personal play ground...my heart breaks for him

Secondly, my best friend had his 5 year old son get sick. Didn't know what was wrong. He finally got real dizzy and said his "heart hurt". Took to Emergency room in Longview Texas. Ran some tests, and the next thing he knows, they're on a G5 flight to Dallas. Leukemia. Early, and treatable, but still---can you ever be sure?

I tell you...it's hard to be away from my family now, I just want to grab them and hold them close...

Think of them, if you can...and thanks, sorry I know I rarely "go there"...

I will resume normal programming shortly...

(My main defense mechanism for my line of work is "smiling"....just the way I'm wired I guess)
Fed I am sorry to hear your buddies. It makes me wish you could be home even more so you could hold your family close. Soon.....
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #1547
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
Fed, prayers go out to your friends.....that is one thing I hope i NEVER have to deal with....death of a child ..soo sad.....

Barry sounds like quite an adventure!...what exactly was on that plate? Looked like eggs,bacon and about 2 lbs of cheese

there are a lot of cool/decent cave here in PA...some very touristy/oriented..others are just on some families property...very cool!!

on an exciting side note..got home from work today, and the wife tells me we are booked for our 1st DVC trip....in less than 3 weeks

we will be staying 3 days @AKL..Kidani savannah view, and 3 days @ ssr!
now I gotta figure out where to get one of those countdown thingys below here!! woot! woot!
nice ticker dadio!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #1548
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Fed, prayers go out to your friends.....that is one thing I hope i NEVER have to deal with....death of a child ..soo sad.....

Barry sounds like quite an adventure!...what exactly was on that plate? Looked like eggs,bacon and about 2 lbs of cheese

there are a lot of cool/decent cave here in PA...some very touristy/oriented..others are just on some families property...very cool!!

on an exciting side note..got home from work today, and the wife tells me we are booked for our 1st DVC trip....in less than 3 weeks

now I gotta figure out where to get one of those countdown thingys below here!! woot! woot!
crystal cave!!! i havnt been there since i was a kid.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #1549
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

I guess I don't know how to count.......less than 2 weeks!

thats what a catholic education will getcha!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1550
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Fed,

So sorry to hear of your friend's loss and the other child that is sick. Nothing would destroy me more than for that to happen to me. Just gave my kid a hug and the response in her surley teanage voice, "What was that for?" "Nothing."
Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #1551
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335

Quote:
On a far more Somber note...it's a tough day for a couple of buddies who are parents..

My first Sgt at my old PD...his 15 year old daughter passed away yesterday from cancer. Fought it to the bitter end. I remember when she was born. She used to come in and crawl all around us in the Detective office and for years we were her personal play ground...my heart breaks for him

Secondly, my best friend had his 5 year old son get sick. Didn't know what was wrong. He finally got real dizzy and said his "heart hurt". Took to Emergency room in Longview Texas. Ran some tests, and the next thing he knows, they're on a G5 flight to Dallas. Leukemia. Early, and treatable, but still---can you ever be sure?

I tell you...it's hard to be away from my family now, I just want to grab them and hold them close...

(My main defense mechanism for my line of work is "smiling"....just the way I'm wired I guess)
Fed ~ This is sad news. At least the 5 y/o has a good chance from the sounds of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
ok, just got the call, we have to be in philly thursday morning by 6:30am for radiation.
Dave ~ Your DW remains in our prayers.
DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #1552
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:

I hate this. Hate that this happens. Let's hope and pray the little boy wins the fight.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #1553
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Fed, prayers are going out to all in need, this goes for you too there Zerfs.

Freezin', very cool trip report. Erika and I were talking about this tonight and I think we're going to start doing this as well. (Including the C_O cork board map)

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #1554
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Holy CRUD Batman!

I’ve been so buried and have gotten so far behind it’s beyond nuts…
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #1555
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Now that I got that out of my system, let me first say to stopher, dvczerfs and Fed, that I’m keeping all y’all and your friends and family in mind. May better news start heading your way... Soon...

Rafiki: Those are some great photos. It looks like you had a really great time and I’m truly envious.

Commando: I’ve just got one thing to say about that motel in Ashland:

Well, if I had something interesting to post I’d be addin’ it here, but that’s just not the kind of couple o weeks I’ve been havin’. So, I’ll just leave you with this thought:

Things could be worse… You could be driving this:
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #1556
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Fed, prayers are going out to your friends, no parent should ever have to go through that, I hope they can treat your friend's son 100% and hopefully never have to worry about it again
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #1557
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Now that I got that out of my system, let me first say to stopher, dvczerfs and Fed, that I’m keeping all y’all and your friends and family in mind. May better news start heading your way... Soon...

Rafiki: Those are some great photos. It looks like you had a really great time and I’m truly envious.

Commando: I’ve just got one thing to say about that motel in Ashland:

Well, if I had something interesting to post I’d be addin’ it here, but that’s just not the kind of couple o weeks I’ve been havin’. So, I’ll just leave you with this thought:

Things could be worse… You could be driving this:
I see the ole' Walmart in the backround, go figure
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #1558
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Today my DW hit me with our 2011 trip for WDW, she told me we were going in the beginning of Nov, I had to ask why, She told me Legoland will be opening fall of 2011, Hey a trip to WDW, no backlip coming from me

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #1559
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
ok, just got the call, we have to be in philly thursday morning by 6:30am for radiation.
We will be thinking of both of you.

Quote:

I will be in j-town this weekend, maybe see you at the folk festival?

Fed I'm praying for those families. Just makes you want to cry.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #1560
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Hey guys.

We all pretty much know what a great job Disney can do with theming, and recently, well not that long ago anyway, on Tim's TR (at least I'm thinking it was Tim's... I read so many different things perhaps it was someone else's, but I think it was Tim's) there were some great pics of the newish Pirate themed rooms at Caribbean Beach... but check out the info on the Disney blog for the new Big Thunder Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. The Hotel is currently in a multi-year total renovation. Each tower is being stripped down and gutted, and then rebuilt. So far one of the three has been completed. They recently started on the 2nd one, and the third will be started later this year or early next. Each tower is getting a complete theming to match various lands at the neighboring Disneyland. Adventure, Frontier and Fantasy.

Additionally, the pool complex will be gutted and redone, with a new Monorail themed pool, with tube slides that are shaped like the famous OBA! It should prove to be quite a fun and immersive water complex once complete.

Just thought I'd share some of the new stuff going on out west.
Very interesting stuff.. and yes I do have pictures of the pirate rooms on my TR!

I want to go swim in a Monorail pool!

Quote:
BARRY!!!
Great pics and nice mini report! I really liked the pic of Madison on the train. It looked really neat!

Quote:

I am so sorry to hear about these people you know Mike.

Leukemia is a hard but very treatable cancer. Most time when people think of childhood cancer it is Leukemia they think of (picture a bald kid going through chemo) I am hoping he is diagnosed with ALL: Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. This is the most common kind and has the highest survival rate. I took this from St. Judes:

Survival Rates
About 98 to 99 percent of children with newly diagnosed acute lymphoblastic leukemia attain initial complete remissions (absence of detectable leukemic cells by microscopic examination) in four to six weeks. About 90 percent of children can be cured. Patients who remain leukemia-free for 10 years or more can be considered cured.

There will be many ups and downs for this family... it truly breaks my heart when I hear that a kid is diagnosed with cancer. I'll be thinking & praying for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: