Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #1531
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrywinkle47 View Post
the story about the Muslim girl from Morocco wanting to wear her hijab to work at the Disneyland Resort really touched quite a few nerves last week.the LA Times has posted a fantastic follow-up story of their own about the issue about how Disney is well within their rights to deny the request.

The way I understand this...and I my be totally wrong...She has worked at Disney for a few years already not wearing her hijab. Only after she gained her citizenship status did it then become a problem for her. I feel she is just wanting to make a quick buck off Disney and trying to gain her 15 minutes of fame. However, Disney has not told her she can't wear her hijab at all...just not in the job she was currently in. She can wear it in some ohte rposition within the Disney organization, but that is not what she wants to hear. Disney is not enforcing a rule upon her that they are not enforcing upon everyone equal. Open and shut here as far as I am concerened...she needs to just take it off or find another job someplace and if that is not good enough...then maybe she needs to go back to her native homeland. I will get off my soap box for now
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #1532
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

It is another great day to be off here...the last day of a 4 day weekend...Ahhhhh. Sorry I just had to rub it in and turn the knife for you guys who are working today ha ha..

Fed...how long they wanting you to stay on extra now?
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #1533
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Hi Boys-
We made it back from our end of summer mini-vacation. There were a few relatively minor issues, but we had so much fun that we've decided to make this an annual event! The current front runners for a long weekend in August 2011 are Indianapolis and St Louis.
We started out at the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory. I highly recommend this. For the 4 of (with a AAA discount) it was $20. They take you on a tour of the actual factory - we watched them make their regular "retail" bats on some machines, then watched them make the "professional" bats on a huge Italian CNC machine. (They were currently running a batch for Brian McCann of the Braves for all of you Atlanta fans.) They turn a "billit" of wood into a bat in about 60 seconds.
This one probably took a bit longer:

The best part is that everyone on the tour gets a free 18" mini bat to use as a weapon in an epic sibling battle the rest of the day!

The museum is awesome too. They have a lot of historical memorabilia, including the bat that Babe Ruth used for the first part of the '27 season. He would carve a notch around the logo for every home run he hit. After he hit 21, the bat broke and was eventually put on display here.

Lunch that day was at Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

DW had found this place either online or some brochure or something. It's odd to say the least, but not in a bad way. It's very "Disney" in that it takes it's "themeing" over the top. And it's theme is a mixture of odd, eclectic, nostalgic and funky. The food was good. I had a "hot brown" - a Kentucky original described on the menu as "Our home roasted turkey breast baked on sourdough bread, with Mornay sauce, bacon, tomato, Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses") Yes, it's as good as it sounds, and yes, if we ever make it back to Louisville, we'll be eating here again.

We spent several hours at Louisville Waterfront Park before getting some Graeter's Ice Cream. Thank you to everyone that suggested this place. It was delicious. Both kids fell asleep on the way to Louisville Slugger Field where we had tickets to the Louisville Bats (AAA club of the Reds). We were running ahead of schedule, so we let them sleep for about an hour.

After getting into the stadium - which is very nice, by the way - and getting dinner, we made our way to our seats. There was a baseball laying in the field, left over from batting practice, just in front of us near the home team's bullpen. The Bats pitcher came out to warm up, grabbed the ball, and handed it to DD. She gave it to DS and he's been carrying it around ever since.

The second most memorable thing came a few minutes later. A mini-UPS truck was delivering the games balls. Why is the starting pitcher smirking?

Because a just seconds before, as the truck was driving behind the bullpen catcher, he beaned it, leaving a considerable dent in the back door - just above and to the right of the UPS logo.

The game was fun, but it was a long day for the kids so we left early. Both kids did the speed pitch machine on the way out. DD didn't quite register, but DS3 was a consistent 17 MPH.

We got up early the next morning, checked out of our hotel and headed the hour and a half or so down I-65 to Mammoth Cave National Park. The cave system currently has over 395 miles of discovered caverns and pathways. I say currently, because the ranger on our tour says they discover an average of 5-10 miles of new cave every year. They offer about a dozen different tours, but we did the Frozen Niagara Tour. It takes you through the prettiest part of the caves through a man-made entrance. They bill this tour as best for small children. The total was only about $20 for all 4 of us.

We had a picnic lunch at the park, then headed down towards Bowling Green. As cool as the park is, the kids's attention span is still pretty limited at their age, so we didn't want to stay too long.

In Bowling Green, we went to the Lost River Cave. Compared to Mammoth Cave, which is really out in a remote area, Lost River Cave is right in town. No, really, it's right in town - there is a Sonic Drive in a few hundred feet away, and the tour guide told us about half way through the cave that we were under a bowling alley parking lot. Back in the 20s and 30s, the person that owned the cave built an outdoor nightclub at the mouth of the cave - using it as free Air Conditioning. The club shutdown in the 40s, but you can still rent it out. As we walked by, people were setting up for a wedding reception.

It's called the Lost River Cave because, well, the Lost River flows through it. There is a non-profit organization that runs tours through the cave and surrounding grounds. It is a very educational but very entertaining tour. Think "PBS" meets "Jungle Cruise". You load into a flat bottom boat for a nice ride. Unfortunately, I left the extra battery pack for the camera in the van, so I didn't get many pictures here. I highly recommend this if you're in the area.

The next morning, we checked out of our Bowling Green Hotel and headed up the New Haven and the Kentucky Railway Museum. The total for this was $52, and while the 90 minute train ride was pretty cool, I was a bit underwhelmed with the museum.
Some of you gear heads may find this interesting:

The company that made this track inspection bike eventually became known as Perfect Circle - a subsidiary of the Dana Corporation that manufactures piston rings and cylinder liners.

Its amazing just how BIG some of these things are!

The train ride took you through 22 miles of Kentucky countryside, but too much of it was blocked by overgrown trees along the rails. The kids still had fun, though.

From the train museum, we made an unscheduled stop at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site. We noticed the signs for this on our way to New Haven, and since it was so close we stopped by. A wealth of information here, but again, the kids were just a bit too young to care much.
The Lincoln Family Bible:

Finally, on our way out of Kentucky, we stopped at Falls of the Ohio State Park (its actually in Indiana, just over the Ohio River from Kentucky). Years ago, they built a series of dams to narrow (and thus, deepen) the river to make it more navigable. The result was a lot of exposed old river bed, where you can walk around and look a fossils.

We made it home late Saturday night. Sunday morning, we blatantly stole Captain_Oblivious' idea (Thanks Mark!) of having the kids stick pins in a map, reminding them of everywhere they've been and everywhere we want to go.

Being gone for 4 days, its pretty hard to catch up around here, so I'll just end with the usual crud.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #1534
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Cool Barry!!!

But you've almost taken as many vacations as the Obama's.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #1535
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
They take you on a tour of the actual factory - we watched them make their regular "retail" bats on some machines, then watched them make the "professional" bats on a huge Italian CNC machine. (They were currently running a batch for Brian McCann of the Braves for all of you Atlanta fans.)
Hopefully you were able to sabotage the machine at that point, or at least add a substance that would make every bat extremely brittle. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
We made it home late Saturday night. Sunday morning, we blatantly stole Captain_Oblivious' idea (Thanks Mark!) of having the kids stick pins in a map, reminding them of everywhere they've been and everywhere we want to go.
No problem. As you've noted elsewhere, I stole the idea somewhere else. We're just paying it forward. I'm just happy to see my influence spreading across the country. Soon, I'll be able to take over the entire TRI-STATE AREA!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #1536
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Unfortunately, no... making a weekend run up to Ohio to see my folks. But gotta say I was hoping we could still meet up at some point. Still feel bad for having to back out of the last plans!

HAHA! That was my favorite part, too! (As notes in DDCIV HERE)

I have to say this... I HATE SPAMMERS!

There has to be a way to automate the checking/deleting. Since we are a small(ish) group, maybe it should be a manually checked registration? Would be more work on your part, but then again... you are spending time on these spammers anyway. Just a thought.

Dave - Great news about DW's treatment. I was praying there would be a better solution than having to make so many trips. Still got her on the prayer list Also... I can certainly tell you are back.... page counts are back up to normal

Had the East Coast Surfing Championships at Virginia Beach this weekend... tried to go attend some of the events on Saturday evening, but the place was CRAZY. BUt then again, I think I'm just getting old... there were just too many "kids" running around! Was definitely more of a teen crowd for this stuff. We ended up playing on the beach at the other end of the beach. Much quieter! The waves were awesome

All right.... gotta get back to work. Yuck.

(hehe... no pwnage for Fed)
thanks dons!!! and on the second thing, thanks don i quess.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1537
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Cool Barry!!!

But you've almost taken as many vacations as the Obama's.
maybe barry will go swimming in the gulf next. barrys good at cropping pics, maybe he will go?? how far is the gulf to wisc.?

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #1538
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice pics barry!!! you'll have to give me the address of that restu., i can feel my chol. going to 400!!!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #1539
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nice pics barry!!! you'll have to give me the address of that restu., i can feel my chol. going to 400!!!!!
Zerfs, still hoping and praying your wife is doing ok.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #1540
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
(hehe... no pwnage for Fed)

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #1541
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Zerfs, still hoping and praying your wife is doing ok.
thanks captain. were just waiting for an appointment now. atleast we know whats going on. its just time to get this over with, its been going on since april. shes looking a life long mri appointment in philly evey 3 months or so but all in all, its a good outlook. thanks again.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #1542
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

On a far more Somber note...it's a tough day for a couple of buddies who are parents..

My first Sgt at my old PD...his 15 year old daughter passed away yesterday from cancer. Fought it to the bitter end. I remember when she was born. She used to come in and crawl all around us in the Detective office and for years we were her personal play ground...my heart breaks for him

Secondly, my best friend had his 5 year old son get sick. Didn't know what was wrong. He finally got real dizzy and said his "heart hurt". Took to Emergency room in Longview Texas. Ran some tests, and the next thing he knows, they're on a G5 flight to Dallas. Leukemia. Early, and treatable, but still---can you ever be sure?

I tell you...it's hard to be away from my family now, I just want to grab them and hold them close...

Think of them, if you can...and thanks, sorry I know I rarely "go there"...

I will resume normal programming shortly...

(My main defense mechanism for my line of work is "smiling"....just the way I'm wired I guess)

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #1543
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
On a far more Somber note...it's a tough day for a couple of buddies who are parents..

My first Sgt at my old PD...his 15 year old daughter passed away yesterday from cancer. Fought it to the bitter end. I remember when she was born. She used to come in and crawl all around us in the Detective office and for years we were her personal play ground...my heart breaks for him

Secondly, my best friend had his 5 year old son get sick. Didn't know what was wrong. He finally got real dizzy and said his "heart hurt". Took to Emergency room in Longview Texas. Ran some tests, and the next thing he knows, they're on a G5 flight to Dallas. Leukemia. Early, and treatable, but still---can you ever be sure?

I tell you...it's hard to be away from my family now, I just want to grab them and hold them close...

Think of them, if you can...and thanks, sorry I know I rarely "go there"...

I will resume normal programming shortly...

(My main defense mechanism for my line of work is "smiling"....just the way I'm wired I guess)
wow, sorry to hear fed. praying for both kids and there families. something has to be done, to many people, to many lives destroyed. hang in there, youll be home soon for good.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #1544
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

ok, just got the call, we have to be in philly thursday morning by 6:30am for radiation.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #1545
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

Talking

Fed, prayers go out to your friends.....that is one thing I hope i NEVER have to deal with....death of a child ..soo sad.....

Barry sounds like quite an adventure!...what exactly was on that plate? Looked like eggs,bacon and about 2 lbs of cheese

there are a lot of cool/decent cave here in PA...some very touristy/oriented..others are just on some families property...very cool!!

on an exciting side note..got home from work today, and the wife tells me we are booked for our 1st DVC trip....in less than 3 weeks

we will be staying 3 days @AKL..Kidani savannah view, and 3 days @ ssr!
now I gotta figure out where to get one of those countdown thingys below here!! woot! woot!

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: