Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #16
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....
 
mickeyfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,823

All those portholes in the primer red, those look like the porthole in the solid wall verandas. That's why those rooms are lower category than the other veranda rooms.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
gkrykewy
TTA PeopleMover Fan Club President
 
gkrykewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,618

This would be a nice bonus, since we have a 6B reserved for next june (and have been assigned a room on the starboard side). On the other hand, a 5E for our cruise is currently about $500 pp more, so I'm okay with the 6B either way.
__________________
Public service announcement: The word "ressie" is like nails on a chalkboard. Unless you could say it in real life without embarrassment, you might want to reconsider your use of it here.

gkrykewy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Henlady
DIS Veteran
 
Henlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,667

When we booked our 6B stateroom on deck 6 at the very aft of the Dream while onboard the Wonder, the booking agent informed us that we would have a solid wall verandah.
I had viewed the OP's posted photo elsewhere and also wondered about the appearance of a very low solid wall with the railing above. The location of the portholes on the side on deck 6 are Category 8 staterooms and there are 4 6B on the side between the port holes and the back of the ship that are also supposed to have "solid wall verandas" but what I see are only low solid areas and it appears that there will be a railing there also. I am wondering if there may have been a design adjustment that facilitated this change since the info being presented is obviously different from what we are seeing. It will be a nice surprise if instead of a full solid wall, we get a low solid wall and a plexiglass railing.
I know the far aft staterooms are where we will be sailing from now on whenever we want a stateroom with a verandah, as I tend to get motion sick watching things go sideways, but going forward or away does not bother me, so these far aft rooms were a major plus for me.
__________________
WDW:1976,1982,1986,1988,1990,1992,1993,1994,1995, 1996,1997,1999,2001,2002,2004,2005,2006(X2),2007, 2008,2009,2010,2011(X2), 2013
WONDER: 10/2005, 11/2007, 5/2010, DREAM: 5/2011, 11/2011, DVC Member Cruise 9/29/13, MAGIC 5 Nights to Canada 9/2/2012, FANTASY: 7 Night Western 4/27/13, Dream DD 11/10/14

Last edited by Henlady; 07-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #19
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran
 
HallsofVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 4,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
All those portholes in the primer red, those look like the porthole in the solid wall verandas. That's why those rooms are lower category than the other veranda rooms.
you're right. Where the Cat 7 cabins are on the current ship are now Cat 8 Family Oceanview cabins on the Dream.

Beginning January 2011, all metal walled verandahs on all three ships will be Cat 6. While it appears there may be hope that the verandah wall isn't quite as high as it is today, I don't see any way you're going to get out of having a metal wall verandah of some sort if you've booked a Cat 6 (unless you get upgraded, of course.)
__________________
Next Stop - 08/17/13 Med Cruise
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
you're right. Where the Cat 7 cabins are on the current ship are now Cat 8 Family Oceanview cabins on the Dream.

Beginning January 2011, all metal walled verandahs on all three ships will be Cat 6. While it appears there may be hope that the verandah wall isn't quite as high as it is today, I don't see any way you're going to get out of having a metal wall verandah of some sort if you've booked a Cat 6 (unless you get upgraded, of course.)
Wait, are you talking about the Dream? That you cannot get out of it in any way??

Because, this picture SHOWS that there will be plexiglass railings instead of solid white walls. I have category 6A stateroom # 8188 and it's at the middle of the very back of the ship. If this was on the Wonder, it WOULD be a solid white wall, but on the Dream, based on this picture, the other 6A category staterooms have those plexiglass railings. 6A category stateroom start right after those Navigator's Verandahs (those circular holes that they call verandahs).
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
When we booked our 6B stateroom on deck 6 at the very aft of the Dream while onboard the Wonder, the booking agent informed us that we would have a solid wall verandah.
I had viewed the OP's posted photo elsewhere and also wondered about the appearance of a very low solid wall with the railing above. The location of the portholes on the side on deck 6 are Category 8 staterooms and there are 4 6B on the side between the port holes and the back of the ship that are also supposed to have "solid wall verandas" but what I see are only low solid areas and it appears that there will be a railing there also. I am wondering if there may have been a design adjustment that facilitated this change since the info being presented is obviously different from what we are seeing. It will be a nice surprise if instead of a full solid wall, we get a low solid wall and a plexiglass railing.
I know the far aft staterooms are where we will be sailing from now on whenever we want a stateroom with a verandah, as I tend to get motion sick watching things go sideways, but going forward or away does not bother me, so these far aft rooms were a major plus for me.
No there isn't. If you look closely on the video of the AFT of the ship on the DCL website, the staterooms in the back HAVE railings, also as I've been telling my family, the bottom of the stateroom in the back, goes up to the bottom of the circles for the Navigator's Verandah, whereas, the staterooms on the side of the ship goes up to bit, just a tiny bit, lower than those circles for the Navigator's Verandah. It's all been planned by Disney, and it was shown on their videos. It's just the fact that we weren't looking close enough, and that the people who probably edited the stateroom info for the Dream, did not know that there wouldn't be any solid whitewall verandahs because they probably made that page even before the final plans were finalized.
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
bettyboop42413
Mouseketeer
 
bettyboop42413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS929 View Post
If you look closely on the video of the AFT of the ship on the DCL website, the staterooms in the back HAVE railings
I see exactly what you're saying. It does appear that all the very AFT verandah staterooms have the same railing. I'm not seeing any white walls either.

Go to the DCL website and click on the last video, it will give you a preview of the AFT part of the ship.
__________________





Disney Dream October 2-6, 2011Stateroom 10660
Disney FantasyOctober 3-10, 2014Stateroom 6016
bettyboop42413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran
 
HallsofVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 4,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS929 View Post
Wait, are you talking about the Dream? That you cannot get out of it in any way??

Because, this picture SHOWS that there will be plexiglass railings instead of solid white walls. I have category 6A stateroom # 8188 and it's at the middle of the very back of the ship. If this was on the Wonder, it WOULD be a solid white wall, but on the Dream, based on this picture, the other 6A category staterooms have those plexiglass railings. 6A category stateroom start right after those Navigator's Verandahs (those circular holes that they call verandahs).
On the Dream, there appears to be Plexiglass railings ON TOP of the metal wall, which appears to be much shorter than the wall on the current ships. But a wall is a wall, even if it is only 1-2 feet high.

On the picture you posted, you can see how the metal extends up above the floor of the verandah by at least a foot. Also compare the thickness of the metal at the back to the thickness of the regular verandah rooms forward of the oceanview rooms, and as mentioned before, consider where the top of the metal wall fall in relation to the portholes, which are not floor to ceiling. On the DCL website, watch the third video of the Dream that scans to the back of the ship. You can see the clear railings on top of the metal verandah, and when they pan around the back look to the rooms on the right, and you can see that the metal sticks up a foot or two.

Knowing the grief they've gotten about the existing metal verandahs, it's good to see they've made changes to open them up more, but also good to see that they are open and honest in mentioning that they will have a metal wall before someone comes along and complains about it being there, regardless of how short it is.
__________________
Next Stop - 08/17/13 Med Cruise
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
bettyboop42413
Mouseketeer
 
bettyboop42413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
On the Dream, there appears to be Plexiglass railings ON TOP of the metal wall, which appears to be much shorter than the wall on the current ships. But a wall is a wall, even if it is only 1-2 feet high.

On the picture you posted, you can see how the metal extends up above the floor of the verandah by at least a foot. Also compare the thickness of the metal at the back to the thickness of the regular verandah rooms forward of the oceanview rooms, and as mentioned before, consider where the top of the metal wall fall in relation to the portholes, which are not floor to ceiling. On the DCL website, watch the third video of the Dream that scans to the back of the ship. You can see the clear railings on top of the metal verandah, and when they pan around the back look to the rooms on the right, and you can see that the metal sticks up a foot or two.

Knowing the grief they've gotten about the existing metal verandahs, it's good to see they've made changes to open them up more, but also good to see that they are open and honest in mentioning that they will have a metal wall before someone comes along and complains about it being there, regardless of how short it is.
__________________





Disney Dream October 2-6, 2011Stateroom 10660
Disney FantasyOctober 3-10, 2014Stateroom 6016
bettyboop42413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
On the Dream, there appears to be Plexiglass railings ON TOP of the metal wall, which appears to be much shorter than the wall on the current ships. But a wall is a wall, even if it is only 1-2 feet high.

On the picture you posted, you can see how the metal extends up above the floor of the verandah by at least a foot. Also compare the thickness of the metal at the back to the thickness of the regular verandah rooms forward of the oceanview rooms, and as mentioned before, consider where the top of the metal wall fall in relation to the portholes, which are not floor to ceiling. On the DCL website, watch the third video of the Dream that scans to the back of the ship. You can see the clear railings on top of the metal verandah, and when they pan around the back look to the rooms on the right, and you can see that the metal sticks up a foot or two.

Knowing the grief they've gotten about the existing metal verandahs, it's good to see they've made changes to open them up more, but also good to see that they are open and honest in mentioning that they will have a metal wall before someone comes along and complains about it being there, regardless of how short it is.
I guess, but i don't think it's as long a a foot or 2. It looks like it's only 4 inch tall, but as you said, a wall's a wall.. =D

I also noticed that I think the railings are much higher on the back!
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

NEW PICS! (well, not so new =D)

Here are some more close-ups i found of the aft of the ship… It really looks like there WON'T be any whitewall verandah, except for the 4in. tiny wall mentioned by hallsofVA…
















SOOO EXCITED!!!
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #27
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznefamily View Post
No, according to the website, certain categories will have white walls. This is off of their website.

A Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah is classified as Categories 5A - 5E, 6A and 6B located on Decks 5 - 10, as follows:
Category 5A: Decks 9, 10
Category 5B: Deck 8
Category 5C: Deck 7
Category 5D: Deck 6
Category 5E: Deck 5
Category 6A: Decks 8, 9, 10 (whitewall verandahs)
Category 6B: Decks 5, 6, 7 (whitewall verandahs)
ahaha… one thing I noticed, they ARE whitewall verandahs, but not SOLID whitewall verandahs…
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
101DalmFan
DIS Veteran
 
101DalmFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829

What am I missing? This picture to me just looks like scaffolding in front of the ship, which would have to be there during all the construction. I see portholes, I don't see windows and doors which would indicate these are rooms with verandahs/balconies.

I'm confused
__________________

.
Disneyland - Christmas 1967 ; WDW (CR & offsite) - October 1981, October 1982, April 1989; WDW (Poly & offsite) - October 1990, April 1996; WDW (AllStar Movies & offsite) - April 2005, August 2005, August 2006; Feb 2007; Oct 2007; Feb 2008; Oct 2008; Feb 2009; June 2009; Feb 2010; Feb 2011; Nov 2011; Nov 2012
DCL 11-night Southern Caribbean ("11 Nights in Paradise" on the Wonder) - September 2006
29th Wedding Anniversary Cruise (DCL Eastern Caribbean on the Magic) - October 2007
30th Wedding Anniversary Cruise, celebrating with our family (DCL Double Dip on the Magic) - October 2008
Had a DREAMY time on The Dream - October 2011
101DalmFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #29
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101DalmFan View Post
What am I missing? This picture to me just looks like scaffolding in front of the ship, which would have to be there during all the construction. I see portholes, I don't see windows and doors which would indicate these are rooms with verandahs/balconies.

I'm confused
You can't see the doors, because they're not finished yet. But you can actually see the non-solid whitewall railings…
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #30
KS929
DCL Fanatic
 
KS929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 938

More pictures of the "solid whitewall verandahs"





All these pictures are screen shots of the "New Disney Dream Construction Video" blog post from DisneyParks Blog. The video can be found here
__________________
Disney Dream - 4-Night Bahamian - August 21, 2011| Disney Wonder - 4-Night Bahamian - August 31, 2008




KS929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: