Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
andee515
Mouseketeer

fantasmic and autism

I actually discussed this on dining but thought you guys might be able to help with specifics. We are going the monday after thanksgiving and I have been trying to get a fantasmic dining res for weeks but so far no luck. My DS3 has non verbal autism and there is no way he can wait in line for 1-2 hours. Someone on the dining board had suggested the GAC card. We used that on our last trip, but not much. I wasn't sure that it would be of any help given the way the seating works. We need to be in the back row in case we have to make a quick getaway. DS sat thru it last time we went but that was almost two yrs ago and his favor changes quickly; one day he'll love a movie and the next it will scare the dickens out of him. Any thoughts.

[/url].com/ticker/][/url]
andee515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Descibe you child's needs and get a GAC. Enter the wheelchair "line" which was on the left last time I was there and proceed to the HC waiting area. Let the CM know your situation and if you need to "move around" you should be able to duck under the rope to the back road and walk around and return. I think they are still seating the disability group first so stay in communication with the CM in that area so you do not miss the call.

bookwormde
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
pilgrimr
Mouseketeer

Fantasmic

We did this several years ago w/ our DS who is almost non verbal. We used the GAC & used his stroller as a wheel chair. He was use to him sitting in it so that helped us. The CM found us a space on the back row where we could leave if we had to. It was a long wait, but we had brought his portable games for him to play with. We were in a big group so we could also help him get up, walk around, and use the restroom while the others saved our seat. It is hard w/ the line and waiting. I hope that it goes well with you and your DS.
pilgrimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
tinkerbelletreasure
Mouseketeer

We used the GAC in March when we saw fantasmic. We still had to wait in the main line with everyone (it was awful)and then once we got past teh point where people had to leave strollers we were finally diverted off. It was a real hassel because we had to get through 3 or 4 CM's that just saw the stroller and weren't paying attention to the GAC Tag on it or the card that we were holding.All in all, my son could have cared less about it and we did end up leaving early because it just wasn't worth the frustration in our opinion.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Hi,
The aren't doing Fantasmic dessert reservations for that date yet. You have to wait until 30 days before your trip.
I am going this Sunday (I too have an autistic 4 year old), and there are still tons of Fantasmic dessert room, and this is a busier season then November. You might want to try closer to your trip or as someone mentioned the wheelchair area but it is pretty far off to the side.

I am concerned about WOC we did the dinner reservations but my son does not like to be held and with everyone standing and in a crowd we will need to hold him in order to see the show.
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelletreasure View Post
We used the GAC in March when we saw fantasmic. We still had to wait in the main line with everyone (it was awful)and then once we got past teh point where people had to leave strollers we were finally diverted off. It was a real hassel because we had to get through 3 or 4 CM's that just saw the stroller and weren't paying attention to the GAC Tag on it or the card that we were holding.All in all, my son could have cared less about it and we did end up leaving early because it just wasn't worth the frustration in our opinion.
That is how it has been every time we have gone to Fantasmic with a wheelchair and a GAC.
We have just been with the rest of the guests entering until after passing the stroller drop off point. At that point, there is a CM who shows/leads guests with disabilities into the seating area.
But, even once you have the CM ‘guide’, it is still very busy and congested.

If you do decide to go, I would suggest using the stroller as a wheelchair because walking in that crowd can be intimidating for me, as an adult without disabilities. The stroller would at least allow your child a little more separation.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: