Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
excitedsheri
Earning My Ears

Smile Polynesian - Longhouse.

We will be staying at the Polynesian and would like any recommendations on which longhouse to stay in. We have a 3 and 5 year old and would like convenience and clean and updated rooms. Our first time going to Disney and would like a pleasant stay. I have spoke with someone at the resort and they recommended the Fiji, but I have not read anything about the Fiji as much as the other rooms. Thanks for any input.
excitedsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by excitedsheri View Post
We will be staying at the Polynesian and would like any recommendations on which longhouse to stay in. We have a 3 and 5 year old and would like convenience and clean and updated rooms. Our first time going to Disney and would like a pleasant stay. I have spoke with someone at the resort and they recommended the Fiji, but I have not read anything about the Fiji as much as the other rooms. Thanks for any input.
Most longhouses have their advantages and disadvantages. Us personally, we like to be as close as possible to the Great Ceremonial House (main building). For that reason we personally enjoy Raratonga. It's the closest longhouse to the GCH.

Of couse, we also love the Hawaii longhouse for another reason.....If we're staying there we're in concierge!
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
CAJUNWDWFAN
Do or Do Not, There is No Try!

My wife and I stayed in Tahiti April 2009 for our honeymoon. We loved it. Check out my trip report at the link below.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186962

Disney Trips: 20 Trips and Counting!)
Grand Floridian Dec.-2013
Beach Club Dec.-2009, April 2014 (Stone Harbor Club twice!)
Polynesian Resort April-2009 (Honeymoon!) Sept.-2013
Coronado Springs May-2003, Nov.-2006, June-2008, April-2012
Wilderness Lodge Dec.-2005, Oct.-2011
Port Orleans 1994, Port Orleans Riverside Oct.-2007, May-2013
Numerous trips as a kid to (Contemporary/Polynesian) (1977, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1987)
CAJUNWDWFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Foolish Mortal
Mouseketeer

Stayed in Tokelau last year and am going to request the same building when I check in later this month
Foolish Mortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

^ The ultimate web site about The Poly, including everything about every longhouse...

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I like Fiji... both sides are considered garden view - make sure when requesting a building that you get a top floor if you want a balcony... some of the buildings don't have balcony's on the second floor...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

^ The ultimate web site about The Poly, including everything about every longhouse...
ditto, I was going to recommend this site, details on each longhouse with pictures. I have requested Tokelau for our next stay.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
bkoehl
DIS Veteran

We've stayed Rarotonga and Hawaii. Despite concierge in Hawaii I really liked Rarotonga as it was close to the Grand Ceremonial House and an easy walk to the TTC to get the Epcot monorail (which we found easier than going through the Grand Ceremonial House.) I especially missed being in Rarotonga when I was running to Hawaii in the pouring rain!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Kaleigh
DIS Veteran

Rapa Nui is our favorite because of the proximity to T&T and the extra parking lot.
Kaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

We tend to like Niue the best...

There are no balconies, which is a deal breaker for some, but it's right in the heart of things, a very short walk from the GCH, and every time we request it, our wish is granted...

I'm not sure why this is, I think it's because it hides in plain site... A lot of people seem to overlook it.

Or, maybe we've just been lucky.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Marty Joe
DIS Veteran

You can not go wrong with Samoa (volcano pool side) or Fiji for garden view rooms.

Marty Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
aprincesswannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
We tend to like Niue the best....
We have enjoyed staying here as well. Close proximity to the GCH and Volcano pool, and while there is no elevator you can easily use the one in Rarotonga and walk across the lovely balcony that connects the two. We like this longhouse because it is small so less chance of "noisy" neighbors!!

Do check out Tikiman's website. He has A LOT of information there.

aprincesswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Most longhouses have their advantages and disadvantages. Us personally, we like to be as close as possible to the Great Ceremonial House (main building). For that reason we personally enjoy Raratonga. It's the closest longhouse to the GCH.

Of couse, we also love the Hawaii longhouse for another reason.....If we're staying there we're in concierge!
I have to second Aaron.

Raratonga is great if you have kids. The garden view rooms have a great view of the monorail, which our DS loved! He got up in the morning and watched the monorails and watched them in the evening.

Also the proximity to the Grand Ceremonial house helps on wet days and long days or if you are just hungry.

We also Loooooove the Hawaii house!

Last edited by k5jmh; 09-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
DEA
DIS Veteran

We really like Tahiti, 3rd floor, with the Magic Kingdom view. This was great for our daughters. However, it is absolutely NOT convenient to any of the resort amenities. I like the proximity to the TTC, and loved the view, but trying to get our refillable mugs refilled was quite an exercise. I could easily finish my newly refilled diet Coke on the way back from the GCH.

Edited to add: The Poly is a great choice for kids that age, btw. IMHO. Other abbreviations...

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Thanks for the information...we are staying there in December, and now I know which of the longhouses I would like to request.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: