Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #151
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

Thanks again!!
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #152
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We are planning our first venture over to Universal for our trip that starts in THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY and I've been thinking about just using a taxi. I don't want to rent a car bcuz I don't want to pay for parking at Universal. That just adds to the expense. I booked 1 night in the middle of our trip at HRH for the early entry & FOTL access and was just planning to bring either a carry-on size duffle or a backpack with what we need for the 2 days at Universal. We are going from BWV to HRH & I got an estimate on the Mears website for $35 for a taxi. Since I read that Mears doesn't allow "luggage" and to save time by going directly to the HRH I thought for the 3 of us it might be just as easy to use a taxi as it would the shuttle (even though it may cost us $20 more it would be a straight shot with no other stops or detours).

My FIRST QUESTION is do the Orlando taxi cabs take credit cards or do I need to plan to pay in cash for these 2 trips?? I've gotten away from carrying too much cash these days so want to be sure to have enough with us if I need it for that.

ALSO, if we want to get checked in at the HRH AND still make early entry do you think we should plan to leave BWV around 7:00 or 7:15? I've read that rush hour traffic can start to pick up by 7:30...don't want to get caught up in that on vaca!!

Any thoughts on the taxi payment method & timing??

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #153
jeankeri
I threw cartons of milk at yuppies but don't tell anyone! What gets talked about on the DIS, stays on the DIS!

For Timing to get to Universal, we were there 3 weeks ago and rented a car. Park opening was @ 8am for IOA, so we left BWV @ 7am, arrived @ Universal parking lot @ 7:20. At this time there was no traffic
Me, DS 18, DS 17 'the furbabies'
jeankeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #154
Halloween Baby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
We are planning our first venture over to Universal for our trip that starts in THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY and I've been thinking about just using a taxi. I don't want to rent a car bcuz I don't want to pay for parking at Universal. That just adds to the expense. I booked 1 night in the middle of our trip at HRH for the early entry & FOTL access and was just planning to bring either a carry-on size duffle or a backpack with what we need for the 2 days at Universal. We are going from BWV to HRH & I got an estimate on the Mears website for $35 for a taxi. Since I read that Mears doesn't allow "luggage" and to save time by going directly to the HRH I thought for the 3 of us it might be just as easy to use a taxi as it would the shuttle (even though it may cost us $20 more it would be a straight shot with no other stops or detours).

My FIRST QUESTION is do the Orlando taxi cabs take credit cards or do I need to plan to pay in cash for these 2 trips?? I've gotten away from carrying too much cash these days so want to be sure to have enough with us if I need it for that.

ALSO, if we want to get checked in at the HRH AND still make early entry do you think we should plan to leave BWV around 7:00 or 7:15? I've read that rush hour traffic can start to pick up by 7:30...don't want to get caught up in that on vaca!!

We're doing the same thing! We're leaving CSR mid-trip and going to RPR for two days. We also plan on using the taxi just for the ease of not having to wait and spend so much time on the shuttle. I was thinking we'd have to leave much earlier than that, but it's good to hear someone else has plans and we can go later. I'm just worried about getting ahead of traffic, then time spent checking in, then time from the resort to the park!

Halloween Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #155
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i use car service when i check out and leave the motherland resort for the darkside resort.

i do my pick up at 6:45.
i am able to avoid traffic that way.

i'm at the darkside hotel by 7:00/5 then.

it will take you about 5 minutes or so to check into hrh.
shouldn't be a line that time in the morning at the check in counter.

you do need to get your photo ID done at the hotel so you can use the express lines in the park.

you will also need to check your belongings with valet before you leave the hotel for the park.
no need to carry a backpack with you all day....

if you are like me, i would rather be waiting in the gate line before the park opens for early entry than running into issues and not at the park early.

3 weeks from now the parks will still have the crowds.
it usually doesn't drop off until that last week in august.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #156
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

We spent a night at RPR a year or so ago. My friend and I both had studios at BWV, but figured that since we got such a good rate at RPR at US/IoA, it made sense to just keep our studios at BWV.
We did the Dreams Unlimited pkg deal.....park passes for 2 days/transportation included from WDW. You are right, Mears doesn't allow luggage on their shuttles. BUT....my friend and I each packed a backpack with a change of clothes and our toiletries for the night/next morning. We were able to carry everything we needed that way..and still use the shuttle.
We left BWV around 7:20ish, and got to US/IoA by 8, and were checked in and arriving at the park entrance by 8:45.
You can cut down on that time by taking a cab..the cab will take you directly to the resort. Because we used the shuttle, we were dropped off below the parking garage area and had to hike over to the resort to get checked in and drop our stuff off!!
If there are several of you, it may, in fact, be cheaper to use a cab vs the $19 pp r/t cost of the shuttle. (at least that's what I think it is now).

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #157
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
We spent a night at RPR a year or so ago. My friend and I both had studios at BWV, but figured that since we got such a good rate at RPR at US/IoA, it made sense to just keep our studios at BWV.
We did the Dreams Unlimited pkg deal.....park passes for 2 days/transportation included from WDW. You are right, Mears doesn't allow luggage on their shuttles. BUT....my friend and I each packed a backpack with a change of clothes and our toiletries for the night/next morning. We were able to carry everything we needed that way..and still use the shuttle.
We left BWV around 7:20ish, and got to US/IoA by 8, and were checked in and arriving at the park entrance by 8:45.
You can cut down on that time by taking a cab..the cab will take you directly to the resort. Because we used the shuttle, we were dropped off below the parking garage area and had to hike over to the resort to get checked in and drop our stuff off!!
If there are several of you, it may, in fact, be cheaper to use a cab vs the $19 pp r/t cost of the shuttle. (at least that's what I think it is now).
I got our tix at Costco - they are 3-day passes that don't expire until Dec. 2015 so we will use 2 days now & save the last day for another trip. Since there are 3 of us I was thinking the duffle would hold everything (I'm HOPING with FOTL we can actually get through enough stuff to have a couple of hours to visit the resort pool so I want to bring our bathing suits too). I've read that the Universal parks do not allow bags on rides so I wasn't going to carry a backpack if I could avoid it. I don't want to get sucked into the locker system. We will just leave the duffle with bell services.

By the time we go in August both parks have regualr opening at 9:00 rather than at 8:00 (so I assume that means WE can get in at 8:00) with the on-site entry? Or is the early entry only for the WWOHP?

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #158
MariMouse
Earning My Ears

To Universal from Pop?

Anyone know the cost of a taxi to Universal from Pop Century?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #159
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariMouse View Post
Anyone know the cost of a taxi to Universal from Pop Century?
I priced it out on Mears website to go from BWV to Universal & it was $35. I would assume it's probably about the same to / from POP. You can double check it on their website tho...

http://www.mearstransportation.com

Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #160
MariMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I priced it out on Mears website to go from BWV to Universal & it was $35. I would assume it's probably about the same to / from POP. You can double check it on their website tho...

http://www.mearstransportation.com
Thanks so much!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #161
darguel
Earning My Ears

Hi not sure if this has been answered before but does anyone know what is the latest time we can call Mears to book for the next day?

Reason being we're flying international into JFK on 12 Nov at 11am and will reach Orlando at abt 6pm. I'm thinking if we shld call Mears and make arrangements when we are waiting for our JFK-MCO flight or if we can just call once we reach Disney. We also won't have US mobile nos, wonder if there are payphones or any customer service counters at Disney and US we can use to arrange for the transport? We're arranging to get a prepaid card but there don't seem to be any mobile providers at the airports or nearby!

TIA!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #162
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

can you book on their site by email?

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #163
TheCat
Earning My Ears

RPR to POFQ

We will be staying at RPR first and transfer to POFQ. I think I need to have a town car/limo from MCO to RPR.

On the day of my hotel transfer,
1) Can I call a taxi rather than having a limo?
2) Can a taxi take 4 persons plus 2 medium and 2 carryon suitcases?
3) Does a taxi charge extra for the suitcases?

TIA
TheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #164
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
We will be staying at RPR first and transfer to POFQ. I think I need to have a town car/limo from MCO to RPR.

On the day of my hotel transfer,
1) Can I call a taxi rather than having a limo?
2) Can a taxi take 4 persons plus 2 medium and 2 carryon suitcases?
3) Does a taxi charge extra for the suitcases?

TIA
1. Yes, the hotel can do that for you.
2. Yes...shouldn't be an issue. If you want, there are van cabs that carry larger groups.
3. Nope. But I would tip accordingly if the driver assists you with the bags.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #165
TheCat
Earning My Ears

Thanks!
TheCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: