Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Connears
Connears

Smile At WDW now..cold and low crowds

Arrived Sunday (12/25 and stayed one night at Swan before checking into AKLV and hit DTD ofr shopping and lunch at Earl of Sandwich) then Epcot in evening with very manageable crowds for xmas night. Stayed only at WS so not sure of the rest of park. MK was closed by signage when we drove by around 2pm. Only really long line was stand-by for CP for the 8:30 show it was huge during the early show.

Monday was absolutley freezing but went to MK for evening arrived around 8:45pm..it was a walk on for everything we did(POC, Pooh, HM, Buzz, Snow White, Jungle cruise, Small world,) only real wait was for Peter Pan )20 minutes. Had no problem seeing Main St Electical Parade at 9pm from infront of Liberty tavern(it was great seeing that one...loved it from years back). Wishes was great..left park even before night EMH as we were freezing and saw all we wanted to for the night.

Tuesday-hit DAK late morning and very cold(27 degrees), low crowds, 10 minutes for Kila Safari, walk into 11am show of FOLF, no wait for ITTBAB, or Dinosaur, even able to walk into 1pm Nemo show at 12:45 after the stand-by line had entered!! DH did wait for EE for 45 minutes before he remembered he could have done single rider line.

We have been for the last 5 xmas weeks and although it has been chilly some of the times, this is by far the coldest!! Hat, gloves, and scarf!!!

Tomorrow DHS and Fantasmic... should be a bit warmer.

Leaving 12/30 for HHI for 2 nights before driving back to Boston.

The resort here does not feel at capacity(AKLV in Jambo House), and so I think the weather may have hindered some travelers.

Happy Holidays

Connears

Old 12-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

At the MCO last night is reported 18 degrees. That is cold people. Glad I am not down there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connears View Post
Arrived Sunday (12/25 and stayed one night at Swan before checking into AKLV and hit DTD ofr shopping and lunch at Earl of Sandwich) then Epcot in evening with very manageable crowds for xmas night. Stayed only at WS so not sure of the rest of park. MK was closed by signage when we drove by around 2pm. Only really long line was stand-by for CP for the 8:30 show it was huge during the early show.

Monday was absolutley freezing but went to MK for evening arrived around 8:45pm..it was a walk on for everything we did(POC, Pooh, HM, Buzz, Snow White, Jungle cruise, Small world,) only real wait was for Peter Pan )20 minutes. Had no problem seeing Main St Electical Parade at 9pm from infront of Liberty tavern(it was great seeing that one...loved it from years back). Wishes was great..left park even before night EMH as we were freezing and saw all we wanted to for the night.

Tuesday-hit DAK late morning and very cold(27 degrees), low crowds, 10 minutes for Kila Safari, walk into 11am show of FOLF, no wait for ITTBAB, or Dinosaur, even able to walk into 1pm Nemo show at 12:45 after the stand-by line had entered!! DH did wait for EE for 45 minutes before he remembered he could have done single rider line.

We have been for the last 5 xmas weeks and although it has been chilly some of the times, this is by far the coldest!! Hat, gloves, and scarf!!!

Tomorrow DHS and Fantasmic... should be a bit warmer.

Leaving 12/30 for HHI for 2 nights before driving back to Boston.

The resort here does not feel at capacity(AKLV in Jambo House), and so I think the weather may have hindered some travelers.

Happy Holidays

Connears
Today is Monday the 27th. Maybe you arrived on Saturday the 25th and you are a day ahead?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Connears
Connears

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Today is Monday the 27th. Maybe you arrived on Saturday the 25th and you are a day ahead?
Arrived Saturday 12/25 ....people do make mistakes.

Connears

Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Arrived Saturday 12/25 ....people do make mistakes.

Connears
No worries, now you get an extra day of vacation.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
suebedo
Mouseketeer

I feel your pain. We were there the 10th thru the 16th and it was C O L D !

We have decided no more "winter" trips. The weather is just too iffy. We will suffer thru the heat from now on.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebedo View Post

We have decided no more "winter" trips. The weather is just too iffy. We will suffer thru the heat from now on.
It's not just the cold weather - for many of us, there is no guarantee the airports will even open Chaos once again this year and I suddenly felt relieved that I had resisted the urge to book for next Christmas. I would love to see WDW all decked out for the holidays, but I need to know I will actually get there!

Connears, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the rest of your stay Good to know the crowds are low - you need some kind of compensation for the cold weather Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebedo View Post

DH and I are done with December trips too. 2011 will be in October for us.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Ya, as I read it I was trying to figure out how the OP already was on Tuesdays recap when it was just Monday. Although, I do lose track of time when I am on vacation as well.

Sorry, OP, it has been so cold. This country is going through some really strange weather patterns lately. We had 7 days of pouring down rain and flooding. The East coast has been hammered by snow and FL is freezing.

KAR

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Well....it is already TOMORROW-SOMEWHERE
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Connears
Connears

I'm from Boston so the cold is not a deal breaker for me. We had over 14 inches of snow back home! We go this time every year and sometimes we hit 70's and others a mix so I'm fine...love what it did for the crowds! We drive so I do sympathize with those who could not get flights out or had to drive in the snow..we missed it arriving on Saturday and we watched NC and SC preparing for this as we drove.

Forgot to post that many of the animals at DAK(gorillas, monkeys) were kept in until after 1pm yesterday due to cold. It didn't affect Safari though, saw more animals than last xmas trip.. lots of rhinos, cheetahs, elephants, zebra, antelope, giraffe(only missed the lions).

We are staying at AKLV with a savannah view and our animals didn't come out until later also(except the birds).

Planning emh tonite at Epcot after 9:20pm adr at Le Cellier...hope for similar crowds...Tomorrow is DHS and Fantasmic(2:15 Mama Melrose pkg for 6:30pm show) and Osbourne Lights. I was a day ahead in original post.

Connears

Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm from Boston so the cold is not a deal breaker for me. We had over 14 inches of snow back home! We go this time every year and sometimes we hit 70's and others a mix so I'm fine...love what it did for the crowds! We drive so I do sympathize with those who could not get flights out or had to drive in the snow..we missed it arriving on Saturday and we watched NC and SC preparing for this as we drove.
The snow is the one reason I don't plan winter vacations to Disney! I like to drive but I don't want the hassle of driving in snow & ice. Enjoy your vacation!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Connears
Connears

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
The snow is the one reason I don't plan winter vacations to Disney! I like to drive but I don't want the hassle of driving in snow & ice. Enjoy your vacation!
Have driven from Boston xmas week for the past 5 years and 3 times before that to HHI that week and only once had driving issue with snow/ice around DC and again at GWB in NYC. Its not enough of a deterent for us, I'm a college professor and that's the time I can take vacation, so its on. We used inland route this trip instead of 95 all the way and like this route much better, but see it could be more difficult with weather conditions as you drive in the higher altitudes in some states like WV. We are tech savvy and monitor the conditions online.

Connears

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Roxydisneylover
Earning My Ears

Interesting... I was at Epcot on the same day and found WS extremely crowded in the afternoon... still had a great time!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
TLinden16
Scotty and Ray at Jellyrolls RULE!!! *poke* *poke*
Operating under the influence of Colin Farrell's eyes

I'm going to move this to our trip report board.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: