Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #76
estherhead
DIS Veteran

O'hana: where no one gets left behind:

Ready for a food review? This is a year old so I can't remember EXACTLY what everything tasted like. But I still remember what I way too much of!

So we get called, and the Suzy & Milo team get called shortly thereafter. We got seated in a really great place, way better than last time. This time we were here near windows and in the main room.

We walk past this:

I wasn't in the mood to get a drink. So we just said, "BRING ON THE FOOD!"

I love broccoli and this was delish, just the right amount of crunchiness. The salad was good too, though I didn't want to fill up on salad & broccoli! The wings were good but I don't generally like wings so I mostly just sucked on one to get all the yummy sauce taste in my mouth. And I really enjoyed the pot sticker/fried wonton things. Mmmmm....

That was the only noodle bite I had. It wasn't good enough to waste tummy room on. But my kids loved them.

Bring on the skewers!

I mostly ate pork and chicken. Donald and Ariel LOVED the steak. They really were diggin' it.

So, while we were digging in, Donald says, "I think we should just pay and drive to Ohio."

I said, "Tonight? It's like 6:30. By the time we get back to the resort it'll be 8:00 and we aren't packed at all!"

And he said, "We could just do it fast."

I pondered it a moment and decided it was a good idea. Better than driving 14 hours all in one day. So I went and asked Suzy & Milo. Here's their table:

And they said, "Sure," after thinking and talking about it a moment. We'd stay in Georgia somewhere and have a shorter drive the next day. Then this lady came:

And the kids & I tried our hand at dancing:

Let me tell you something, we were the sorriest dancers of the bunch. Terrible. Embarrassingly terrible. I'm not a terrible dancer, I swear. But I hadn't been paying attention to the directions and this kind of dancing requires grace. Not a single one of us has anything close to grace. We're more the Get Down and Boogie types.

After that, I was done. All I could think was, "I have to pack." It was like chanting in my head. So the end of this meal took FOREVER! It seemed like an hour to pay our meal and get out of there despite me telling our server to hurry it up. But it probably wasn't that long. It just felt long.

FINALLY, we were out of there. I went to the front desk and asked for a map and directions so we could walk to the TTA & skip the monorail. This was like a treasure hunt to the TTA. But we did pretty good. I was leading with the map and talking to Suzy on the phone to explain how to do it. She's the one good with directions, not me, so that conversation was probably a total waste. I'm sure they could have found it without my help.

So there was a tram waiting and we were parked REALLY far from the TTA so I was happy. We got the back seat and the girl was super funny. I told her I'd take her pic for my TR and she loved the idea:

And just like that we were on our way to the resort.

Donald & I were like crazy packing machines. Bags & things were just flying!!!! Lickety split & we were ready to go. We decided that I would go use the rest of our CS/Snack credits on food for the road and check us out while he packed.

When I went to the front desk to check out the lady was very upset that we were leaving early and asked what was wrong and how she could help. She tried to get me a discount for the night we weren't staying there but I explained we'd already eaten the "free" food and so really we'd gotten the value out of that night. I mean, if you want to give me money back, that'd be awesome, but it's like 9 p.m., I was leaving at 5 a.m. anyway and I already used my tickets and food. Finally she understood and I was allowed to go.

So I went to order a pizza (we had a lot of CS left) and pick out drinks and snacks while that was cooking. All the while Donald keeps calling me and asking me if I had the van keys. This super stressful because A) he had lost the keys and had a very accusing tone of voice that I had lost them despite my being no where near him and B) I didn't have signal in the building so I had to keep stopping what I was doing and walking outside so I could talk to him.

FINALLY, I got the food & walked back to the van. He had found the keys (which he indeed had lost) but he was in a RAGE. His rages are not screaming rages, they are very quiet internal throwing things about. He is the ultimate packer and the rage didn't throw off his organization skills so shortly we were packed perfectly and ready to go.

Here is the Fridge I swapped and I walked this back to the luggage area when I checked out/got food:

Here is Boo:

She's staring at our t.v.'s

Anyway, back to Donald's rage. I mention his internal rage because it effected me in two ways, one is still bothering me.

Sometime while I was gone the stroller fell out of our car top carrier and broke a little bit. It was a MacClaren, pink and brand new. It was still under warranty and had cost me $129.00. I LOVED this stroller. It had a big basket, one hand fold, a carrying strap, a canopy. It was perfect. Donald had refused all week to have a lesson on the stroller. Every time it was time to fold it he would say, "I hate this stroller" and I would fold it. So this night he took his rage out on my new stroller. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened.

I do know that MONTHS later I was going to the mall with Suzy and asked him where my stroller was (I use a jogging stroller around home) and he confessed he had thrown it in the Disney dumpster.

$129.00!!!

"Did it break?"
"Probably."
"Did you break it?"
"Maybe."
"And then you threw it away?"
"Yes."

Then Perla was in a rage!!!!!

"It was under warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Sorry."

Oh my goodness. Just even typing this I am still kinda mad about it. How could you beat a $129.00 stroller in a "I lost my keys" rage and then just dump it without telling your wife? MEN!

The second way it affected me is as we were pulling out of Disney World Donald turned on his GPS (I wasn't mad about the stroller, by the way, because I didn't know it was trashed until months later) and typed in our home address.

We call our GPS Sheila and she is not always the cleverest. But Donald likes her and would follow her blindly anywhere. So she's on and despite the fact that there are giant I-4 signs everywhere Donald is blindly following Sheila.

"This isn't the right way," I say.
"How do you know Sheila doesn't know a shortcut?"
"A shortcut to I-4? We're driving in the opposite direction. I could SEE I-4 on my right when you turn left."
"Sheila knows."

At this point the last 3 days just came flooding over me. I was exhausted. And if my entire family would just shut up, I would drive to Timbuktu if they wanted. I was dry. I had a nice drink in a Disney mug. And Boo was watching TV and not crying.

So go ahead and drive into the middle of nowhere. I had totally stopped talking. Which is odd because on our LAST WDW trip I was totally silent on the way home because I had lost my voice.

So after about 15 miles (YES, 15 MILES!!!) Donald says,
"Do you think I should turn around?"

Me: silence.

At this point my phone rings and Suzy & Milo are on the road and ask where we are.

I say, "I don't know where we are. Somewhere in the middle of Florida driving deeper into the middle of nowhere."

To which Donald mutters, "Fine, I'm turning around."

Ya THINK?!?!?!?!

Anyhoooooo, we drove back to I-4 in silence and at some point he says, "Sorry."

And I just started crying. What a way to leave the most magical place on earth.

At some point we decided it was time to stop for the night and I told Suzy to just find something. They had stopped at the travel center and gotten a cheap hotel brochure thingy. So they pulled into a place and it was like $70.00. We're Priceline crazies so Donald thought it was too expensive but I was so drained it seemed like a bargain.

And look how nice our room was:

We dropped into bed and slept pretty well. The beds were really comfy.

But we wanted to get an early start so we awoke before daybreak:

Free breakfast! That helps with the $70.00 sting, right?

We were all in a much better mood this day and drove home. But truth be told, it took me a couple weeks to fully recover. Perhaps even through the kid's Christmas break.

I think perhaps my issue on this trip was I was delusional about Boo when we started. She is a darling little girl, entertains herself well, smiles easily. But she is difficult in bizarre ways, even, I'd say, frustrating ways. I said on this trip that she was suspicious of my intentions. And that is exactly true still. She didn't trust me. And she definitely didn't trust anyone else. Her anxiety just ate her alive and I didn't understand nor know how to deal with it.

I think without Boo, my parents wouldn't have drained me. It was the combo of it all.

And, of course, I was sick this entire trip, from start to finish, despite my trip to the Urgent Care. When we got home both Donald and I went to an ENT and have been getting help since.

So this year we are doing three things differently:
1) We aren't going in November when I am ALWAYS sick for the entire month.
2) We are getting AP's so there is never pressure to get "everything" done. We'll always "be right back"
3) I bought a new stroller (used and only $20.00) and told Donald he is not allowed to complain about it, not even once.

Last edited by estherhead; 08-26-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #77
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I feel SO bad for you - what a way to end your trip (I actually feel like crying!) I wish you could just have had a magical ending to your trip (I can sympathize regarding your hubby - my late husband sometimes would react like your husband and not listen especially when it came to directions and throwing a little temper tantrum if he felt frustrated. I'm totally sad that his first and only attempt to visit WDW ended w/him suffering a heart attack & dying in the motel room in Kissimmee before he even got the chance to take us to WDW in December 1994. As much as he frustrated me at times, I miss him! - Sorry - I didn't mean to make this sappy!!)

I hope you get a chance to visit WDW on a happier note really soon - I really enjoyed your TR and you and your family are beautiful fun people!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #78
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

Wow, I wasted 2 days of work reading your TR!! We were there at the same time and man those last 2 rainy days were rough! I remember how hard it rained even into the night. We didn't even visit a park that 1st rainy day. We ran through DTD with a grumpy DH and sleeping DS to get lunch and ended up eating dinner off property just to get out of the room.

I too have a funny stroller/DH story. The first year we brought DS (20months at the time) we brought our big Evenflo stroller. Dh complained each and every time he folded it and unfolded it but it was a blessing to have. The last day we were leaving AKL and packing to head to the airport and DH got really mad at the stroller and started kicking it! Seriously, he was bashing it with his foot. Well, good ole DH bent the axle!! When we were trying to get out of the rental car return and I was trying to push DS to the terminal the wheels just would not turn!! I was soooo mad!! He just had to beat up that stroller ya know?! He said it made him feel better and I imagine it made your DH feel better too!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #79
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
She's still borderline OCD, the compulsiveness not as much, but the obsessions have deepened. I think she might have something called GAD, general anxiety disorder, but she's too little to be diagnosed with anything. I've been working with her to try and get her anxiety down, but only time will tell if it helps.
You know that you say that, Boo reminds me alot of how my brother was when he was younger, we always thought all his fears about "strangers" (everybody and everything was a stranger) was due to one of my uncles telling him a ghost story. but as he got older he got more nervous and suspicious of everything. He was never formally diagnosed because back then my mom just thought he was a wierd kid.

He's in his 20's now and still has anxiety over things that most people wouldn't think twice about, he is an internal worrier, he won't vocalize it but it always shows on his face.

Poor Boo, do you ever wonder what she is thinking? She sounds like a really smart girl and deep thinker, maybe she is a genius and her thoughts are too deep for her to quite get at times.

anyway, I hope your next trip is awesome and less stressful.

Your DH tossing the stroller would have rotted my socks too. My DH used have those rages, I contributed it to he was just kind of thrown into my already made family and was still trying to learn how to be a husband and father, but he would get mad and break something, it was always something of mine too. He's over that now, it took a few years but he is pretty calm now.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #80
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I feel SO bad for you - what a way to end your trip (I actually feel like crying!) I wish you could just have had a magical ending to your trip (I can sympathize regarding your hubby - my late husband sometimes would react like your husband and not listen especially when it came to directions and throwing a little temper tantrum if he felt frustrated. I'm totally sad that his first and only attempt to visit WDW ended w/him suffering a heart attack & dying in the motel room in Kissimmee before he even got the chance to take us to WDW in December 1994. As much as he frustrated me at times, I miss him! - Sorry - I didn't mean to make this sappy!!)

I hope you get a chance to visit WDW on a happier note really soon - I really enjoyed your TR and you and your family are beautiful fun people!
Wow! That is quite the story and I'm SOOO sorry! Were you with him when that happened? Because my trip didn't end well, but no one died! Men & Dh's and their quirks are irritating but I can't even imagine my sweetheart not being with me. Big BIG HUGS.

And I leave in 1 week for WDW! This trip had so many highlights and good moments that the final two days didn't ruin it for me. But I am glad it wasn't my first trip to WDW or I would have been one of the people who say WDW isn't for toddlers. Having been there with my other girls as toddlers I think WDW is a great place for toddlers. Just maybe not for Boo at 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
Wow, I wasted 2 days of work reading your TR!! We were there at the same time and man those last 2 rainy days were rough! I remember how hard it rained even into the night. We didn't even visit a park that 1st rainy day. We ran through DTD with a grumpy DH and sleeping DS to get lunch and ended up eating dinner off property just to get out of the room.

I too have a funny stroller/DH story. The first year we brought DS (20months at the time) we brought our big Evenflo stroller. Dh complained each and every time he folded it and unfolded it but it was a blessing to have. The last day we were leaving AKL and packing to head to the airport and DH got really mad at the stroller and started kicking it! Seriously, he was bashing it with his foot. Well, good ole DH bent the axle!! When we were trying to get out of the rental car return and I was trying to push DS to the terminal the wheels just would not turn!! I was soooo mad!! He just had to beat up that stroller ya know?! He said it made him feel better and I imagine it made your DH feel better too!
I'm so glad there are others in my circumstances! And yeah, had it not been for the rain I think this trip would have ended totally differently. Boo still would have been difficult but Donald and I would have been able to make better decisions. But the illness & rain dictated what we could & couldn't do instead of our kids dictating.

My poor Donald. He is a really great man. But those last 48 hours were rough. It would have made anyone crack. (I'm just mad I didn't get my $100.00 back from MacClaren!)

I just went to NYC with an ex-soldier and a stroller and I swear I thought he was going to beat that thing to death by the end of the trip, up & down the subway. So strollers must just push men's buttons. They ARE annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
You know that you say that, Boo reminds me alot of how my brother was when he was younger, we always thought all his fears about "strangers" (everybody and everything was a stranger) was due to one of my uncles telling him a ghost story. but as he got older he got more nervous and suspicious of everything. He was never formally diagnosed because back then my mom just thought he was a wierd kid.

He's in his 20's now and still has anxiety over things that most people wouldn't think twice about, he is an internal worrier, he won't vocalize it but it always shows on his face.

Poor Boo, do you ever wonder what she is thinking? She sounds like a really smart girl and deep thinker, maybe she is a genius and her thoughts are too deep for her to quite get at times.

anyway, I hope your next trip is awesome and less stressful.

Your DH tossing the stroller would have rotted my socks too. My DH used have those rages, I contributed it to he was just kind of thrown into my already made family and was still trying to learn how to be a husband and father, but he would get mad and break something, it was always something of mine too. He's over that now, it took a few years but he is pretty calm now.

I found a couple things on line about little therapies you can do to help kids with GAD and I've done a few of them with her and they really do work. I think I'm gonna print a few out for this trip and just take "anxiety breaks" every once in awhile.

Supposedly if it gets worse instead of better as she gets older there is medicine without too many side effects. It's hard for me to ponder as I watch her play with her toys right now, lost in her imagination.

My plan for this year is I am all about Boo. And Donald can be all about the big girls. Here's hoping!

I almost didn't write this TR because I didn't want to end a WDW TR in a depressing way for everyone. But as this trip is ready to dawn I thought I'd go ahead. Both for myself (as I explained in the beginning) and because I knew you'd only be depressed for a short time because then you could join me on this coming up trip!

Here's the PTR. Which will be all about our plan & packing this week and then LIVE from the world starting Labor Day.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2539745
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #81
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

I just read the whole thing, too. You're a good writer. I have only one daughter, but your girls sort of played out the different ages she was at on our trips. LOL Even losing the pearl necklace, yes, we've been there.

Ours was a little Boo, too. Scared of everything when she was little, but she liked characters. From afar! She was also afraid of new foods, and smells. We took her to Disneyland when she was young, seemed more manageable. Especially with the stroller thing. Didn't go to WDW until right after her 8th birthday, and it turned out perfectly. She still was afraid of some things, but it got better with each trip. So there's hope for you!

You did get some good memories out of this one, though. Snow White was a doll! We were at DL with my daughter's dance group a couple of summers ago. While waiting for the parade, Cinderella walked directly to one of the little sisters (age 2), and planted a big lipstick kiss on her cheek. The Princesses and little girls are such fun.

DD is a strep carrier, and has allergies too. She's learned to use a neti pot, and drinks rooibos tea almost every day. Best if it has ginger too, like a chai. It has really helped her, you might try it.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #82
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Estherhead, I loved this report! You rocked this thing. And you are sooooooooo funny. I'm bummed that Boo didn't have the best time, that you were sick, and that you left on a sour note. But the rest of it was great! Especially how you scored a table at the Princess meal. I bow to your greatness.

Boo's reaction is one reason I am waiting to take Patrick to WDW until he's 5 or 6. I just don't want to deal with him until he's gotten out of this stage.

Enjoyed your report!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #83
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancind View Post
I just read the whole thing, too. You're a good writer. I have only one daughter, but your girls sort of played out the different ages she was at on our trips. LOL Even losing the pearl necklace, yes, we've been there.

Ours was a little Boo, too. Scared of everything when she was little, but she liked characters. From afar! She was also afraid of new foods, and smells. We took her to Disneyland when she was young, seemed more manageable. Especially with the stroller thing. Didn't go to WDW until right after her 8th birthday, and it turned out perfectly. She still was afraid of some things, but it got better with each trip. So there's hope for you!

You did get some good memories out of this one, though. Snow White was a doll! We were at DL with my daughter's dance group a couple of summers ago. While waiting for the parade, Cinderella walked directly to one of the little sisters (age 2), and planted a big lipstick kiss on her cheek. The Princesses and little girls are such fun.

DD is a strep carrier, and has allergies too. She's learned to use a neti pot, and drinks rooibos tea almost every day. Best if it has ginger too, like a chai. It has really helped her, you might try it.
I read this earlier as I walked out the door to work. I looked in our cupboard because this rooibos tea is something I've never heard of. And guess what? We had some! Madagascar Vanilla Rooibos. So of course I grabbed it and drank it at work. It really was awesome! I didn't try ginger but I have some candy ginger & thought that might be nice to just drop a piece in. It clears the sinuses in the same way as horseradish and cayenne!

I love my neti pot & it travels with me but the problem is if you are already a mess it can't work. Like Draino in a totally plugged up drain. That's where the oregano oil comes in. That stuff is serious! And the Benedryl, Zyrtec, Alavert, etc.

Thanks for saying I'm a good writer. It's nice to hear.

I was a scared kid and am fairly fearless now. But I never had the anxiety of Boo. At least she loves roller coasters. I don't know what we'd do if she didn't like roller coasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer View Post
Estherhead, I loved this report! You rocked this thing. And you are sooooooooo funny. I'm bummed that Boo didn't have the best time, that you were sick, and that you left on a sour note. But the rest of it was great! Especially how you scored a table at the Princess meal. I bow to your greatness.

Boo's reaction is one reason I am waiting to take Patrick to WDW until he's 5 or 6. I just don't want to deal with him until he's gotten out of this stage.

Enjoyed your report!
Thanks! Whenever you take Patrick you'll have a great time. And we'll all anxiously await the great TR!

I mean, if I'm entertained by you describing a Truck class I can only imagine how entertained I'd be by your TR about a boy's first memories of WDW!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #84
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

I am sorry the last 2 days were less than "magical" You are a great storyteller. I think you will feel a difference with having the AP"s. My younger DD is terrified of Tigger and Chuckie. She loved the princesses and stood in line at the Character Spot to see the Fab 5. Can't wait to read your next report!!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #85
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
I found a couple things on line about little therapies you can do to help kids with GAD and I've done a few of them with her and they really do work. I think I'm gonna print a few out for this trip and just take "anxiety breaks" every once in awhile.

Supposedly if it gets worse instead of better as she gets older there is medicine without too many side effects. It's hard for me to ponder as I watch her play with her toys right now, lost in her imagination.

My plan for this year is I am all about Boo. And Donald can be all about the big girls. Here's hoping!

I almost didn't write this TR because I didn't want to end a WDW TR in a depressing way for everyone. But as this trip is ready to dawn I thought I'd go ahead. Both for myself (as I explained in the beginning) and because I knew you'd only be depressed for a short time because then you could join me on this coming up trip!

Here's the PTR. Which will be all about our plan & packing this week and then LIVE from the world starting Labor Day.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2539745

You should always write a TR if you need to, even if it seems depressing somebody will learn something from your experience and that's a good thing.

I think it's wonderful (you're such a good Mommy) that you work so hard to make Disney world a less scary place for Boo.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #86
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post

You should always write a TR if you need to, even if it seems depressing somebody will learn something from your experience and that's a good thing.

I think it's wonderful (you're such a good Mommy) that you work so hard to make Disney world a less scary place for Boo.
Thanks it was very helpful for me to remember all the great things about this trip. Because it ended so badly the bad stuff was kind of mostly in my mind and the truth is it was 80% good and 20% bad. And why should I focus on the 20% bad?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: