Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #31
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I had to take a photo of this as this is the walkway to the Lion King which I've only done before when it is SUPER crowded. So this was noteworthy to me. Just like everything else, go early to Lion King and you won't be trampled by the crowds!

What a cool water fountain!

So, before this trip I printed out a page for each character to sign & then put a big binder clip on it. This ended up being a stupid idea for us and it annoyed me. So I told the girls I wasn't bringing it this day because we wouldn't meet any characters. And who should be just standing there with no one talking to her? Pocohontas. Mulan is irritated with me to this day for not having our autograph book when it counted. Oh well. Lesson learned & we at least have a photo of the moment. They chatted a while.

Look who Boo found on the way out of the Lion King?

Ariel was still looking for a Mittens pin, which again, I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. But we did find a bunch of fun hats!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
estherhead
DIS Veteran

We did something I've never done before: Planet Watch. You get on a strange train that faces forward:

And you end up at a petting zoo and vet clinic.

There was a lady standing behind me with her husband and kids. They looked like a nice family, but I don't know where they were from, I'm guessing a city. American accents. She says to her husband, "What kind of animal is this?" He says, "I think it's a cow." She says, "Are you sure? Because I don't think so. Maybe it's a weird cow? A different breed?"

Now I know there are a lot of people who have never seen a cow in person but there are lots of tv images of cows, in every children's book, on milk. I don't know, I thought it was odd but my attention was drawn when she turned really intense about it NOT being a cow. They argued about it for awhile & then the husband caved & she just still was kind of muttering about it NOT being a cow. I finally couldn't take it anymore & said, "It's just a cow. A normal cow." She looked at me like I was CRAZY! It was just so weird I still remember it.

I mean, Boo knew it was a cow and that it said Moo. How unrecognizably weird could it be? And I swear they were just a normal Disney family.

Anyway there were other (totally recognizable) normal farm animals too:

Pop quiz: What are these animals?

Did you get it right?

Boo combing a little goat butt:

All three girls loved the petting zoo even though we can do this at home. It was just quiet & interactive and animals. But even more than that we enjoyed the vet clinic where several animals were actually being worked on.
And others were just for our viewing.

So you tell me if Boo is easy to figure out. She walked right up to this lady & petted this snake for ever! No fear whatsoever. But a plastic group of princesses at DTD was terrifying!

And then the train ride back. Which by the way this train ride was the first time in my entire Disney experienced I've heard a CM freak out on a tourist. And it was over the intercom. Evidently whoever the tourist was she had some kind of death wish or just did NOT pay attention, even if she didn't speak English it shouldn't have had to go as far as it did. But it started as the CM innocently announcing that the train would be stopping until everyone was sitting down again. So the train stops. No one is standing in my car & I couldn't see the others so I figure we're good & will be moving soon.

But, no. He keeps getting more specific and more mean. He says, eventually, "Ma'am in the pink dress who is standing and leaning out, I am talking to you. You HAVE to sit down. SIT DOWN!" So, she still doesn't. Like I said, even with no English surely the English speakers in her car would have noticed a woman in a pink dress hanging out the train window & helped her sit down. But it didn't end here. It went on. I can only assume he actually did get out & maybe forcibly sit her down? I don't know. I could hear his intense non-intercommed voice. It was crazy. Crazy pink dress lady. As we were exiting the train I tried to find her so I could see what kind of disobedient woman wears a pink dress but I couldn't find a woman in a pink dress. So I gave up & took a photo of this:

All I can say is I really enjoyed Rafiki's Planet Watch but I guess only crazy people go over there? And trust me, I qualify.

Drum time!

And then it was time for lunch at Yak & Yeti. I got the same thing I got the day before except no fried rice. Which was a big oversight because it had been Donald's favorite but since I had ordered the first day he didn't know. He thought fried rice came with the meals. He was really disappointed with plain white rice but we had so much food he didn't want to go get even MORE food. Oh well. The big thing here was our quiet little spot we ate. You can tell adults to not feed the birds, but not 2 year olds. Sorry nature, I'm not controlling my 2 year old for you.

Our lunch time view:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #33
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I'm sure I've ridden Kali River Rapids before. I know I've walked down there & then had them tell me I couldn't ride for some reason. It either had to do with not having proper shoes or someone not being talk enough. But it evidently had been long enough that I didn't remember it well. And I certainly didn't remember the walk. Really cool walk!

I was wearing a poncho. Of course. Because I am smart. There were other smart people in ponchos. But the crazy thing is all the non-poncho'd people asking where I got the poncho. This HIGHLY amused me & all the other poncho clad people. One family coming off the ride got stopped multiple times asked if they got wet. The man of the group said, "Of course not, I have a poncho." It was very silly.

Then once we got in our actual ride the other family with us kept asking if they could trade seats with me because I ought to be in the wet area. Which really amused me because how can you know where the wet area is? Here's the girls all buckled in:

Ariel wanted to go with Donald & Boo to see the animals so Mulan & I did it again by ourselves. Then we were going to switch parks & go to Epcot. You know the march from the back of a park to the front, right? You're just focused on getting to the front so I wasn't really paying attention to the kids. My kids keep up. I just naturally assume everything is fine. So when we get the the front I pause & say I need to use the bathroom & look over at the girls to check & see if the girls have to go and Ariel is literally a weird color. I mean I had NO IDEA people actually turn green but she was.

So I say, cause I'm just a woman who says the first thing that pops into her head, "Ariel, what in the world is wrong with you?" And she BURSTS into tears. So, of course, we run to the potty. And then we decide to skip Epcot and go back to the resort.

Somehow we managed to get a good photo of the girls on the tram back to the van. Which we only rode cause Ariel felt so bad. Because we had super good luck with parking at the parks this trip. We were always on the tram side of the line of cars & really close. The parking gods were smiling on us (except at Music where the parking was icky.)

So this turned into a resort day. The big girls hung out in their own room. And Donald hung out in his room. Boo & I explored.

And then look who we ran into! Grandma!

This is where my trip started to go awry. Just be forewarned. I have the best parents in the world. But any semblance of a relaxing vacation was totally over.

I didn't know that, though, because my date night was AWESOME and super great. That is coming right up.... Well, ok, tomorrow. Maybe.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #34
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

I am so so happy you came back to finish this! I have read all your reports and really like all your detail and the "accuracy checks" Such cute families. I have a 3 will be 4 in Sep DD who also has major character fears but only SOME characters. Tigger is the main one. I had to leave my yummy meal at CP cause she lost it. Not the " I am scared Mommy help crying" but the "omg I am going to die shrieking-gagging sobs" She will also have nothing to do with Stitch. She did however stand in line at the character Spot in May for 40 min and took her pic with ALL the character there. Go figure. I also see in many of ur pics a shoeless Boo-Cayley is also not a fan of shoes Great recap so far! Going out of toen with no internet-gasp until SUn but can't wait to read when I get back. We got our AP's in May and are going in Sep and Dec.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #35
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
I am so so happy you came back to finish this! I have read all your reports and really like all your detail and the "accuracy checks" Such cute families. I have a 3 will be 4 in Sep DD who also has major character fears but only SOME characters. Tigger is the main one. I had to leave my yummy meal at CP cause she lost it. Not the " I am scared Mommy help crying" but the "omg I am going to die shrieking-gagging sobs" She will also have nothing to do with Stitch. She did however stand in line at the character Spot in May for 40 min and took her pic with ALL the character there. Go figure. I also see in many of ur pics a shoeless Boo-Cayley is also not a fan of shoes Great recap so far! Going out of toen with no internet-gasp until SUn but can't wait to read when I get back. We got our AP's in May and are going in Sep and Dec.
Thank goodness I'm not alone!

The shoeless thing I just figured so be it. I was dealing with so much with her I couldn't fight the shoe thing. It's just been within the last month that we had a shoe crisis with all 3 girls not being able to find shoes EVERY time we got ready to go. In their defense their shoes were starting to get tight & uncomfortable. So I took them shoe shopping & got a great deal but spent $150.00 on 3 pair of shoes for each. When we arrived home their father threatened them with everything in his daddy "punishment arsenal" that if they took off & left in the van their shoes they would get "fill in the blank". And Boo was not excluded. She still takes them off but she'll leave them on for hours at a time instead of minutes. So maybe this year she'll keep them on. Here's hoping.

Sounds like we're gonna be AP buddies. Has having AP's changed the way you tour? Are you more relaxed now? I'm hoping that's what happens to us. I would love to be a relaxed touring family but I have an intelligent plan before we go with lots of down time and then once we get there we all forget the reasonable touring plan and turn into psycho Disney fans racing from ride to ride. It's like Main Street is piping in crazy mind control and not just pleasant music and smells. We did better on this trip, but then I felt cheated. Relaxing is cheating.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
AlexandAndysMom
Mouseketeer

Loving this! I have boys, so it's nice to see what girls do! My baby was 2 last year when we went, and you can tell what day it was by his reaction to the characters...he went from fear to love in 10 days!

We go back in October and hopefully he will still love them, because he's got a 'kiss my girls' plan for the Princesses! (I do love that little boy!)
10/2010 for MNSSHP with DH, DS (8), and DS (3)
4/2011 Surprise Birthday and Graduation Trip!!
2/2013 Baby's First Trip!
2/2014 Cause we can!--And it was FUN!
10/2014 Who doesn't love Trick-or-Treating with the Mouse?!?!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #37
Rozz
DIS Veteran

Loving your report! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fuzzy memory. If I ever do a trip report, it would be like you said, a trip possibility instead.

My youngest did not like the characters either. We learned to walk way around them when we had a full costume character siting. I think we hurt Baloo's feelings one time She's 12 now and still does not want to be in the picture with a character. She's okay with face characters.

So, what happens after your parents show up?

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #38
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Uh oh....I'm sensing the next post won't be so great (having something to do with "parents")!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #39
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

Nice update. I'm with Boo though, plastic princesses are scarier than a snake. Just sayin.

The cow story was too funny. How sheltered are you to not know what a cow looks like?LOL

Sigh! parents, I remember I used to go on vacation to Michigan to visit my parents, then it dawned on me that vacation is for relaxing and I never got to do that around my parents, they are so intense, so I will stop in and see them for a day on my to my real vacation now.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #40
estherhead
DIS Veteran

First off, SORRY the pictures weren't up this weekend. I've been away without internet having a lovely time and didn't realize. But I've got it fixed now. And will soon (probably tomorrow, maybe tonight) resume writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandAndysMom View Post
Loving this! I have boys, so it's nice to see what girls do! My baby was 2 last year when we went, and you can tell what day it was by his reaction to the characters...he went from fear to love in 10 days!

We go back in October and hopefully he will still love them, because he's got a 'kiss my girls' plan for the Princesses! (I do love that little boy!)
I'm hoping this is the year she loves them! Jack-Jack just went to DisneyLAND and fell absolutely in love with characters, being fun scared, and Fantasmic. So I'm hoping his great influence rubs off on Boo. Your son sounds like a serious charmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
Loving your report! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fuzzy memory. If I ever do a trip report, it would be like you said, a trip possibility instead.

My youngest did not like the characters either. We learned to walk way around them when we had a full costume character siting. I think we hurt Baloo's feelings one time She's 12 now and still does not want to be in the picture with a character. She's okay with face characters.

So, what happens after your parents show up?
So funny that even at 12 she doesn't like them! Some adults still hate them. I love them. How cool is it to have that as a job? They only one that seems horrible to me is Jasmine. Yikes! Whenever I dress up I want to lose myself in my imagination, how can a person do that when they have to suck in their tummy all day long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Uh oh....I'm sensing the next post won't be so great (having something to do with "parents")!
Yeah & still to come: RAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
Nice update. I'm with Boo though, plastic princesses are scarier than a snake. Just sayin.

The cow story was too funny. How sheltered are you to not know what a cow looks like?LOL

Sigh! parents, I remember I used to go on vacation to Michigan to visit my parents, then it dawned on me that vacation is for relaxing and I never got to do that around my parents, they are so intense, so I will stop in and see them for a day on my to my real vacation now.
Thanks, and really? I can assure you, I did NOT touch the snake. And I didn't even walk up to the spider in the glass box. I'm shuddering just pondering it all. I mean snakes are ok & interesting and I've touched them before. But still.

The bummer is my parents are super cool to travel with. My mom is going to Disney with us this year for 4 days and it'll be awesome. And we've travelled all over with them. But Disney World with all 13 of us is INSANE and a TERRIBLE idea.

Stay tuned.....
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #41
estherhead
DIS Veteran

The date night!

So every time we go with Suzy & Milo we trade babysitting so we each can have a date night. Last time Donald & I got to go to Cirque & Raglan Road and eat right next to the Irish band. How could we top such a great, entertaining, romantic night?

After very little pondering & quite a bit of work, I got a ressie at California Grill for one hour before Wishes. I was very excited about this but had kept it a surprise for Donald. The original plan was to have all five of us meet the six of them in Epcot & give them our kids. But when we were already at the resort & then Mom and Dad showed up, we opted to just leave them there.

First, though, I ran my parents down to get them key to the kingdom cards to our room. This requires me to back up a lot.

My parents are awesome. They are world travelers, fascinated with history, nature, on & on & on. They have a lot to give to the world. But they do not really get Disney. They understand, begrudgingly, Suzy & my love. And my mom, especially, finds great joy in our joy. But she just barely gets it. My dad doesn't get it at all and gets tired easily.

So we don't invite them. It's just better for all of us.

And every year they try to nose into the Disney trip and we come up with every excuse in the book why they shouldn't come with us because the truth is, they SHOULDN'T come with us. But they want to because they want to be with us & it's annoying for them that a family as close as ours has this thing we cannot share. They WISH so desperately that they could share it, that they could feel it. But they don't.

So this year, like every other, my mom called me a few months before our trip & asked what would happen if they came with us. And I conjurred up a few of the reasons I always give. But instead of giving up, she called back. And no matter what I said, she had something to say about.

I was getting more & more nauseous. Especially since they knew we had 3 rooms and there would be room for them IN OUR ROOM!!!!!!!

Yes, this was the big plan. They have friends they want to visit in the area & they would get a couple days tickets. And they would stay in the 3rd room with some of the kids or in Donald & my room with us and Boo. There really could not be a worse idea for a vacation I already have planned and paid for. Oh, and I almost forgot, they didn't want to rent a car, they would just have me come pick them up at MCO, take me back to a Disney bus stop and use our van since we had free Disney transportation.

I cannot even tell you. Oh how many phone calls to Suzy, crying, her telling me exactly what to say to help them understand and yet not hurt their feelings, me calling them back. Them calling me back an hour later with a solution to fix whatever issue I had raised. It was like three weeks of my life I lost.

But what finally happened is they had friends visit that had just been to Costa Rica. They had seen a monkey & my mom decided that she MUST see monkeys in the wild. And so they bought tickets to Costa Rica and planned themselves the perfect trip for them with a little 2 day stop in Orlando to see their family at Disney.

As far as my life, this was WAY better than any other previous thing offered and so I accepted it. But I still just couldn't imagine shifting all of us so they could stay with us. So I talked my dad into Pricelining a cheap hotel and a rental car. And I called Disney and TOLD them my parents would be staying for two nights (no package, no tickets, no cost) so they could go to early entry with us at Magic Kingdom.

This seemed a huge bother to me but they are early morning people and it appealed to them to be their bright and early to ride Dumbo with their favorite little babies in the whole world.

And so I headed off to the lobby to check them in.

And then they took the kids to dinner (they had a GRAND time) and Donald and I were free to enjoy our date.

Even though this day had gone haywire with Ariel being ill and then going to the resort and then hanging with my parents, it was still a magical day and our date was gonna be great.

So we headed to Epcot, even though we didn't have to meet Suzy, so we could do the Sum of all Thrills. We opted to park at MK and take the monorail to Epcot. That way when we were done with dinner it'd be easy to get home.

We were soooo excited:

It was while I was taking this picture that I realized we had somehow got the tiny memory card and it was all full! So I quickly called Suzy who was still in Epcot & we met so I could borrow her camera. Unfortunately, it was just a photos in to using her camera that I realized her memory card was full too! So I deleted a few of her photos so I could at least get a few. And I think Donald took a few with his iphone which aren't great quality but at least they preserve the memory.

So we were on our way in to Epcot & met up with friends from our hometown! How crazy is that! And we live in a small town, too. So we chitchatted a bit and then went to ride the Sum of all Thrills. I had read on here to go at 6:00 pm and everyone would be eating dinner and there would be no line. We just walked right up! No line, at all. So that was a great Disboards tip!

We really enjoyed this ride. And we knew we had to bring the girls back.

It was so fun that Donald decided it was going to be too rushed and crazy to go somewhere else, why when there are great romantic places at Epcot?

He almost swayed me, we were there, it seemed relaxing. But finally my intelligence won out over his logic and I said I had my heart set.

So we took the monorail back to the TTC and Cali Grill.

We go up to the counter & then up the elevator. We then go & get a drink at the bar. The guy asks me what I want & I said I have no idea so he says he'll make me my very own drink. Just tell him the types of drinks I like and he'll work his magic.

I felt so super special.

So then we got seated & asked our server if we could just share everything. So we just used 1 person (two table services) and paid for a salad and flatbread. They brought everything out on two places already seperated. It was so delish & so filling I can't IMAGINE having a full meal here. Though we each would have loved our own dessert.

This came out first:

Then this really yummy flatbread:

Our amazing salad (we would have licked the bowl but we are slightly, just slightly, more classy than that)

The main course:

Then for dessert we got banana something. Soooo fabulous. Oh my goodness. And they didn't split it so I had to fight Donald off with my fork to get my fair share. Where is the stabbing fork smiley when you need it?

Also, the people next to us had all their kids with them and their server asked if they wanted them to cut the kids steak for them Donald & I both were like, "Cut our kid's steaks, PLEASE!" We hate this job and the possibility of someone else doing it for us was tantalizing.

When we had first arrived our server had explained the fireworks situation and that unless we wanted to be squished, we should go out to the balcony early. So he came over and told us when to go out. It was a great view and very romantic, lots of other lovers out there. We got a great spot with another couple. And then the fireworks started:

It was, of course, way cooler than my lame, not my camera, no room left really shows up. We LOVED it. And vowed to take our kids back. Which we are doing in a month!!!!

When we got back to the room Suzy had everything totally under control. We picked up Boo and were in bed at a totally reasonable time. Good thing because the next morning was early entry MK with all the kids and my parents.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #42
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

What a romantic way to end the evening! I hope MK with the parents tomorrow is spoiled!! (I'm guessing rain.....)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
Rozz
DIS Veteran

A bit of a cliff hangar; will MK day be extra magical or will it have a melt down moment? Hopefully, no meltdowns. Can't wait to read what happened!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #44
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
What a romantic way to end the evening! I hope MK with the parents tomorrow is spoiled!! (I'm guessing rain.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
A bit of a cliff hangar; will MK day be extra magical or will it have a melt down moment? Hopefully, no meltdowns. Can't wait to read what happened!
Coming right up! Chapter one of MK with a crowd.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #45
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So I deleted a few of her photos so I could at least get a few.
What???!!!??? You never told me this. Good thing I'm the logical sort as this is too funny to find out that you deleted some of my pictures. Why not just delete some of your own photos off your memory stick to make room for the fireworks?

Quote:
When we got back to the room Suzy had everything totally under control. We picked up Boo and were in bed at a totally reasonable time.
Everyone was in pj's and in bed by the time you got back EXCEPT Boo who had been changed into jammies but once in nighttime attire refused to get into my bed. She kept saying, "Mommy is all done with her food." She knew you and Donald had been out to a restaurant and would be back when finished. I was very sympathetic about her missing you so did not try to get her to lay down or anything. But once in her pajamas she wouldn't even sit down anywhere. She just kinda stood around telling me that, "Mommy will be back soon."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: