Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Going down the bayou, going down the bayou, taking you all the way!

Hey there fellow Disney fans! After much lurking on these boards and reading other people’s trip reports it has inspired me to try my hand at writing my family’s story. I enjoy reading the reports and living vicariously through other people’s trips when I need a ‘WDW fix’.

Here are the characters in my story:

Me, my name is Beth and I am an executive assistant at a bank (after all Charlotte is the "Wall Street of the South".) I have been married to my husband John for almost 18 years and I am a proud mother to my daughter, Alexia (who turned 8 two days after we returned from our trip). My parents took me to Disney when I was 6 and a few other times, although we never stayed onsite. My first onsite stay was our honeymoon in October 1992 at Port Orleans. I am a runner and have signed up to run the Wine & Dine half marathon and then the full WDW marathon in January.

My top 5 Disney Must-Do’s: Pirates of the Caribbean, It’s a Small World, Soarin’, the Main Street Electrical Parade, Dole Whips

My husband, John was hired by my bank back in April. For four-years he worked for the other bank that got bought up by that stage coach bank, and back in January was told that due to down-sizing he would no longer have a position as of April 30th this year. The beginning of the year was a rough start for us. We did A LOT of praying and he sent out A LOT of resumes. Our prayers were answered when my bank hired him and so this trip was a spur of the moment, celebratory trip.

John’s top 5 Disney Must Do’s: Mission Space, Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Haunted Mansion, Cosmic Ray’s

Our daughter, Alexia as I said before turned 8 on August 9th. She is my pride and joy. We waited 10-years for her, and she is truly my gift from above. At the moment she is all into the Toy Story Movies (1,2 & 3), and particularly into Jessie (hence my avatar and screen name). I think I passed down to her in my genes the love of all things Disney. People also call her my ‘mini me’ because she looks just like me, you wouldn’t know my husband had anything to do with it. Her favorite princess are Tiana and Ariel.

Alexia’s top 5 Disney Must Do’s: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Rock’n Roller Coaster (yes, she’s got a need for speed!!)

The plot and unfolding of my story:

As previously stated, we had a bumpy start to the first part of the year, with my husband’s job situation. We are so thankful that our prayers were answered and he is employed! My daughter’s church camp was closed the first week in August so at the end of July we were thinking of getting out of town since her camp was closed and also to celebrate my husband’s job and also my recent promotion. We were pricing out going to Sunset Beach, here in NC. My husband was looking at the Disney website and said “hey did you know that we could go to WDW for about the same price as the beach?” It didn’t take much to twist my arm, so I said let’s do it!

We booked a 6-night package at Pop Century with the QSDP (first time for us) and also MYW base tickets. This was the first time we haven't had about a year to plan a WDW trip. It was kind of fun doing it spur of the moment. I kept pinching myself thinking - "we're going to Disney World in 2-weeks!!!" A couple nights after booking the reservation, the doorbell rang at 9:00 and it was the UPS man with our paperwork for our trip! Disney had to overnight to us - we were so spontaneous!

Well, how in the world does the bayou title fit into all this, you may ask? Well being the Disney nut I am, 2-days prior to our trip I was sitting on the laptop looking at the Disney site and priced out a moderate for our dates. It was about $350 to upgrade from Pop to a moderate. We have never stayed at a value and although I know we would be fine and just happy to be going, we were kind of looking for that relaxing piece of vacation that we were worried we might not get at Pop. So my husband said do it and handed me the phone to call Disney. I called and got a nice agent and told her we wanted to change our hotel reservations. She asked to which resort and I asked my husband – which one? He said, I don’t know - Riverside? So I told the lady POR and she had to talk to her manager about us switching because we were within 3-days of arrival. After about 30 minutes of being on the phone the changes to our package had been made – we were going to POR! Wait, we only stayed there one night back in 2003 – I don’t remember it. So what do I do? Of course, I get on the DIS and look at the POR thread! Good, something else to do since I had already packed for our trip and was looking for something to help keep me occupied in my anticipation!

To be continued…

I will post pictures, but I may be too new to the boards to post, so will try in my next update
Port Orleans-1992 & 1994 CBR & POFQ -2000 Coronado Springs-2001 Polynesian-2003 AKL & GF- 2004 WL & GF 2006 POFQ -2007 CBR-2008 Polynesian-2009 POR Aug & Oct 2010 POR Jan 2011, CBR Feb 2011, POFQ Aug 2011, POR Oct 2011, ASMo Dec 2011, Polynesian Feb 2012, Pop & POR May 2012, AoA and Yacht Club Oct 2012 BWI & YC Aug 2013, Poly Oct 2013

Last edited by JessietheNCCowgirl; 08-20-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
cassie1982
Earning My Ears

Yay Im interested to hear about the report! We kinda booked our trip on a whim to.. only 1 1/2 months in advance.. What stuff did you get from UPS?? Im a little worried I booked through Disney for the first time and All I did was print out a reservation confirmation. Should I be getting something from UPS?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie1982 View Post
Yay Im interested to hear about the report! We kinda booked our trip on a whim to.. only 1 1/2 months in advance.. What stuff did you get from UPS?? Im a little worried I booked through Disney for the first time and All I did was print out a reservation confirmation. Should I be getting something from UPS?

Hi there - thanks for joining in. We recieved a little book with our package component info stating our reservation#, dining plan, & tickets. The book also contained tear out coupons for the resort arcade, Sammy Duval sports, spa, mini-golf, etc.; there were also luggage tags included.

I have heard you usually get this 30-days prior to your trip, I hope it arrives soon for you! (We haven't received ours for our October trip yet either).

I hope you have wonderful trip!
Port Orleans-1992 & 1994 CBR & POFQ -2000 Coronado Springs-2001 Polynesian-2003 AKL & GF- 2004 WL & GF 2006 POFQ -2007 CBR-2008 Polynesian-2009 POR Aug & Oct 2010 POR Jan 2011, CBR Feb 2011, POFQ Aug 2011, POR Oct 2011, ASMo Dec 2011, Polynesian Feb 2012, Pop & POR May 2012, AoA and Yacht Club Oct 2012 BWI & YC Aug 2013, Poly Oct 2013
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

OK, I have officially posted 10 times now so can post pictures. Here are some pictures of the aforementioned cast (we didn't get any together as a family this trip) :

DH (John) and DD (Alexia):

Me and DD (I don't look too happy, this was taken on our last day):

Not a trip picture, but this is DD on her birthday in her Jessie costume with her Jessie doll we gave her as presents - I told you she LOVES Jessie!:

OK, so now that the introduction pictures are out of the way, I will continue with the TR in the next post. Phew, this is a lot of work (my first time uploading pics) - but it's fun!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
cassie1982
Earning My Ears

ohh ok.. I was worried.. Well we are almost about 30 days away from our trip so that should come soon. I hope!! Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
cassie1982
Earning My Ears

Oh look we will be in Disney at the same time!!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Sassagoula Billy
Life is...

Thumbs up

Do you know how often I sing your trip report title on any given day? I approve! Love it! Can't wait to read more.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

To pick up where I left off in my first post, I was researching POR on the DIS. After looking at all the pictures we decided we would like to stay in the Alligator Bayou section. I had mentioned we had stayed one night at POR in 2003. I know we were in the Magnolia Bend section but I can’t remember which mansion. We didn’t have a good experience the first time and I think that’s what put us off from trying POR again. It was nothing that was the fault of the resort. It was that we had traveled all day with our DD who was 1 at the time and she got sick in the car all the way down to WDW (that’s the trip we discovered she got car sick). We finally got to FL after midnight (took way longer than expected) and checked in at POR. After getting in the room, I tried to get my DD to go sleep in a pack and play that was delivered to the room. She wouldn’t have it – she fussed, so finally I put her in bed with me and my husband got in the other bed. We all finally fell asleep well after 1:00 AM, but then someone started knocking on our door. My husband got up and it was someone from maintenance or housekeeping with a TV remote. I guess they got the rooms mixed up because we certainly didn’t ask for a remote, we were trying to sleep! Anyway it woke us all up and took a while for everyone to get back to sleep again. I guess we had that memory and never looked at staying there on our future trips. I'm SOOOO glad we gave it another shot!

Back to this trip – I call Disney again and ask if I can have the bayou section noted as a request on our reservation. I wasn’t sure if it would do any good since we were only 2-days out and I have read on the boards that rooms are assigned 3-days out. For the rest of the day I kept getting on and off the DIS looking at pics of POR, reading trip reports and looking at QS restaurant menus. I was too excited because we were leaving the next morning!

Sunday – August 1: I am awake at 6:00 AM – rearin to hit I-77! (of course after we have given DD some Dramamine ) We did our last minute packing: snacks and drinks for the car and are on the road by 7:00. (I didn’t know at the time I was doing a trip report so I don’t have any pictures of our drive). We stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Columbia, SC (a tradition on trips to WDW) to use the restroom and eat lunch. My husband took a different route this time. Instead of going I-95 he went Route 301 near Orangeburg, SC. It went through SC, GA and FL. It took a bit longer, but it was interesting to see. It reminded me of Radiator Springs in the CARS movie. It must have been the route people took before the interstate was built. It was lined with closed motels so that was kind of depressing but sparked the imagination, thinking how it must have been when it was all touristy.

We finally make it to Orlando around 8:00 PM. We stayed the first night (free on Marriott points) at the Fairfield Inn off International Drive. It was hard getting to sleep knowing WDW wasn’t but a hop, skip and a jump away but I finally forced myself to get some shut eye.

Monday – August 2: We all woke up around 6:30 and got ready. We went down and had the complimentary breakfast in the lobby area, then back to our room to get our overnight bags, and then it was POR here we come!!

I know it’s been seen many times, but here is my shot of the infamous sign:

I LOVE that sign!

At 7:55 AM this is what we see – woo hoo! (sorry it's blurry - taken from a moving vehicle):

We're getting even closer!:

At last - it's the lobby:

We were 2nd in line to check in and while we waited and checked in, my daughter did this:

We had a very friendly cast member who was quick and efficient. She showed us a map of the resort and said our room was ready. What?? It's 8:00AM!! The 2nd surprise was that she circled the building where our room was located we were granted our request for the Alligator Bayou section! She also said it was a top floor, corner room - double yay!! We were excited to go check out the room, so we piled back in the car and drove to the bayou!! Going down the bayou, going down the bayou!

Up next our room in the bayou!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie1982 View Post
Oh look we will be in Disney at the same time!!
Where are you staying? Maybe we will see you at the World!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassagoula Billy View Post
Do you know how often I sing your trip report title on any given day? I approve! Love it! Can't wait to read more.
Welcome and thanks for reading my first TR!! Don't you just love the soundtrack to The Princess and the Frog movie?!?! I'm just a big kid, but it's been downloaded to my iPod.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

joining in.. i couldnt resist since the princess and the frog is on my tv. my son loves this movie and it geos with your resort! !
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | June 15 Wonder cruise to Alaska
ME(27)and DS(4)
Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

The room:

We find our building, #35 and park the car. My husband and I start unloading the luggage and headed to the room. (One thing that I like about the moderate resorts opposed to the deluxes is that the parking lot is usually VERY close to your building).
Here’s a picture of our building:

We get to our room and find this:

More pics of our room:

While my husband was getting more stuff out of the car, I decorated one of our windows for my DD’s birthday (Toy Story, of course!):

We didn't unpack everything because we wanted to make rope drop at EPCOT.

Just to comment on the room - it was very clean. I liked how it was decorated as it felt so cozy and it really transported you to the theme of the bayou. I was very happy with our decision to stay at POR even though I hadn't explored the rest of the resort yet.

Now it was time to head to EPCOT - here are some pics before we got in the car to head to the park:

Up next - the rest of our first day...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Tommys Mommy
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to read more of your TR!!! We have stayed at POFQ the last 4 times we went, so I am enjoying the photos of POR. We just never make the time to walk over there to check it out.
Disney Dream: June 2012; June 2014
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
cassie1982
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Where are you staying? Maybe we will see you at the World!

We are staying at POP.. We did deluxe last time so we are going Value this time..

Maybe We will see ya!! Are you going to MNSSHP?? We are Oct 3rd! We are soo excited!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommys Mommy View Post
I can't wait to read more of your TR!!! We have stayed at POFQ the last 4 times we went, so I am enjoying the photos of POR. We just never make the time to walk over there to check it out.
Thanks for stopping by! We've stayed at POFQ 3 times in the past (the first being for our honeymoon) and we visited it on our trip this time as well. I like that you can share the pools between the 2 resorts!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: