Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free

Pre-Trip Report

Featuring:

Me (Joh, 37) - self-confessed WDW addict. Loves Eeyore, Francis Floot, Tower of Terror and Ghirardelli's Mint Bliss Sundae.
DH (Gary, 43) - indulges my obsession (anything for a quiet life). Loves Tigger, Francis Floot, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Tony Roma's ribs and loaded mash.

Extras:

DD1 (Sian, 17) - at that age where a trip to Weymouth with her boyfriend is far more exciting than WDW with her 'rents
DD2 (Rhiannon, 16) - would probably love to come but doesn't want to spend 2 weeks with 'you two doing boring adult stuff and smooching all the time'
DS (Daniel, 7) - won't even notice we're gone once he is with his beloved Grandparents

Pre-amble:

Some of you will know that DH and I are lucky enough to be able to have at least two child-free weeks every summer when our kids visit their respective grandparents. The girls usually spend time with their Grandma up in Cleveland, whilst Daniel goes to the beach to see Grandma and Grandpa. This year is slightly different in that, for various reasons, the girls are not making the annual pilgrimage to Middlesbrough, however, when this holiday was originally planned, they still were.

In August 2007, Gary and I were lucky enough to book a last-minute trip to WDW child free. We spent a week at 'The World' and took a 3-day Disney Cruise, which left us well and truly hooked.

This is us about to board the Disney Wonder in 2007

It was total bliss (despite the oppressive heat and humidity and a serious case of sunburned feet)

However, in August 2008, having just had our loft conversion completed, our time was spent cleaning up after the builders, re-carpeting and re-decorating.

Last August, with an impending trip to WDW taking place just a couple of months later and the balance of the holiday due at the end of August, we really couldn’t justify (or afford) any time away by ourselves. Having spent the entire two weeks at home (with the exception of a day trip to Alton Towers) completely bored stiff and missing the kids desperately, I was determined that I would not let an opportunity to escape child free pass me by again – note I wasn’t that desperate that I didn’t want them to go away again this year though

I love them really - the 5 of us on the Disney Wonder in Oct 09

Having tried hard to maintain my ‘Bad Mother’ status since October – and succeeding for the most part (just ask Daniel how long it took the tooth fairy to visit after his last milk tooth loss) – what better way to outdo myself than to plan a holiday without my kids! Unfortunately, my partner in crime (Ms Natalie Longstaff) had buckled under pressure and decided to take her children with her on holiday so it was up to me to maintain the reputation all by myself.

Back in February, when this all began, the Longstaffs were on the verge of booking a trip to Egypt. Discussions were held as to whether or not we would accompany them since a) Egypt is on ‘The List’* and b) Gary was excited at the prospect of going somewhere that wasn’t Walt Disney World. This idea was quickly dismissed, though, when we realised that the Longstaffs’ idea of a trip to Egypt consisted of 2 weeks in an all-inclusive resort, sitting on a sun lounger by a pool. The thought of visiting Egypt and not seeing a single pyramid, sphinx or mummy (other than bad ones ) did not fill either of us with joy. Let’s face it, Nat and I have loads in common but our ideas of what constitutes a great (non-WDW) holiday are poles apart. Gary and I are not ‘sit by a pool’ kind of people.

We briefly considered whether to visit ‘the real’ Egypt on our own but discounted that option as too expensive – I’m afraid that, for me, while we are the sort of family that can only afford one holiday a year, WDW will always win out as I worry too much that any other destination will compare unfavourably – as when we do get the chance to visit, we want to be able to enjoy excursions and immerse ourselves completely in the experience.

So, we were back at square one. Never one to miss an opportunity – and given that I had tentative agreement from Gary that we would go somewhere in August – I broached the subject of WDW.

Surprisingly, DH was an easy sell. I mentioned how we could take that much-longed-for trip to St Augustine and that, if we timed it right, we might even be able to catch a pre-season NFL game and the deal was done.

I managed to secure flights with VA for just under £400 each M+M, flying out on 25th August and back on 5th September. Following a minor panic when we realised we woud be away for DD's GCSE results, the education board (or whoever ) did us a massive favour and announced that GCSE results would be available two days early this year, on Tuesday 24th August. Phew, serious Bad Mother episode averted.

So, there you have it - happy parents, happy children - yes, believe it or not, they are all very happy to be doing what they want and for us to go away (even to WDW) without them. Now all I needed to do was deliver on my promise to DH that the holiday would cost no more than £2000 total

Next up...The Plan

*’The list’ is an extremely long list of places Gary and I plan to visit when the kids have left home, we are no longer paying a crippling mortgage and we can afford several holidays a year
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

fab pre trip
cant wait to hear all your plans.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

cant wait to hear your plans

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

WDW without the kids. I can only dream of such a time at the moment - but it will come

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Great start Joh, I look forward to hearing all about your plans

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great report looking forward to more
Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
Muscateer
DIS Veteran

Great start Joh, look forward to reading more
Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Great start Joh - can't wait to read more.

Not long now till you go - how exciting

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Great start and Im too dreaming of the day we get to holiday without the kids !!
Cant wait to hear all about it :-)

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
Jordanblackpool
DIS Veteran

Great Start! Id be sold on the NFL Game too!

Past VisitsMGM Grand,Las Vegas. March 201113th Feb 2010 - Royal Crown Plaza March 2009 - Port Orleons, French Quarter,October 2007 - Port Orleons French Quarter,April 2004 - Comfort Inn,October 1999 - Port Orleons French Quarter,October 1997 -Port Orleons - French Quarter,October 1995 - Grosvenor LBV,October 1993 - Delta

Follow Me On Twitter www.twitter.com/Allsworth27
Jordanblackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Unfortunately, my partner in crime (Ms Natalie Longstaff) had buckled under pressure and decided to take her children with her on holiday so it was up to me to maintain the reputation all by myself.

Great start. BTW, who is Francis Floot?
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
BTW, who is Francis Floot?
Elaine, he is one of the 'Citizens of Hollywood' found at Hollywood Studios. He is absolutely hilarious and we try to make a point of making sure we see him every time we visit.

http://www.studioscentral.com/citize.../francis-floot
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Thank you!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
binkytell
DIS Veteran

oh im so jealous, me and my hubbie were supposed to spend my 40th
birthday next april in disney world but instead were expecting a surprise arrival on 2nd january so holiday now cancelled, will have to plan for my 50th instead

hav a magical trip
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Great start Joh, looking forward to more.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: