Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
LovelyMouse22
Mouseketeer

CSR vs. Value

Right now my sept/oct trip is booked for CSR with free dining. We were considering switching to a value to lower costs. We would upgrade the dining plan to the basic plan.

Which value is the best? It will be me,dh and ds (26 mo. @ travel time) would it be worth saving the 500 to switch to a value? I'm afraid they are too loud and chaotic. CSR seems so laid back and peacful. Is this assumption right? We will spend some time at the resort since we will be there 10 days 9 nights. any recommendations/tips would help me. I am so torn on what to do!! Tia!

February 2012 5 days @ Pop- First Trip
LovelyMouse22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

The only value we stayed at was Pop and although we liked it there, if it was only $500 more for 10 days, I'd go with CSR. We thought it was very relaxing there. The only thing is IF there is a convention, I would avoid the Pepper Market (food court) during regular meal times. That can be very chaotic.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
ZandZsMom
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at All Star Movies, Sports and Pop. Our favorite is Movies. Last year we stayed at POFQ and kept saying we wish we were at Movies. Maybe because it was our first resort but my husband and I both loved Movies. If you request a room away from the pool it will be quieter. First time we stayed my DS was 18 months and DD was 2 1/2, we had a room in Toy Story on the top floor and noise wasnt bad.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
saskdw
DIS Veteran

The question really is how much does the $500 mean to you? I personally wouldn't even consider down grading from CSR for that much. We just stayed at CSR in Dec for 9 days. Very quiet relaxing stay even though there it was a heavy crowd time.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
isk8
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at the All-Stars several times, and I'm completely done with values. My mom has stayed at the values more than me, and after her last stay at POP, she also said no more values.

I feel like the values are too busy, too loud, too many people. And one time, at All-Star Sports, I almost stepped on a snake on the way back from the pool one evening. (Shhhhh...I know there are snakes everywhere in Florida, but please let me think all the snakes are at All-Star Sports)

I'm old now, and my idea of a vacation has changed...I want to be away from the action instead of in the middle of it. So we stay at CSR.

The one thing I like better at the values than at CSR is the food court. I miss the All-Star food court when I'm at CSR.
2013 - DLR Paradise Pier & WDW Beach Club * 2012 - DLR Doubletree Suites & WDW Port Orleans Riverside * 2011 - Disneyland Hotel & WDW Coronado Springs * 2010 - WDW Coronado Springs & DLR Candy Cane Inn * 2009 - WDW Dolphin & WDW Coronado Springs * 2007 - DLR - Disneyland Hotel * 2006 - DLR Disneyland Hotel - Baby's First Trip!! * 2002 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter * 2001 - DLP Newport Bay Club * 2000 - WDW All-Star Movies * 1999 - DLR Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - WDW All-Star Sports * 1997 - DLR - First Trip!! * 1996 - WDW All-Star Sports & Some Random Spring Break Off-site!! * 1994 - WDW Dixie Landings * 1980 - WDW Polynesian Village

isk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
KatMark
DIS Veteran

It really comes down to what is important to you and whether or not the money would be a hardship.

Our family personally does not like the values (we tried it once when our kids were 10 and 12 and we all disliked it immensely); we are definitely a moderate family and have, in fact, skipped a trip if we couldn't afford a moderate or above. However, there are those that love the values and don't want to spend the extra money.

You'll have queen beds at the CSR as opposed to the smaller beds at a value, as well as a sliding door that closes off the bathroom/bedroom which the value does not; a slide (which with the age of your child probably won't make any difference), a hot tub for mom and dad at the CSR, a spa (massage for mom?), covered bus stops etc.

Good luck deciding, and I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up choosing.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
DaniB
DIS Veteran

Something to keep in mind if you downgrade to POP, you lose the fridge in addition to paying to upgrade to the DDP.

So if your difference is $500. Minus the cost of:
- upgrading to DDP ($11 pp x 2 people x 9 nights) = $198 AND
- fridge ($12 per night x 9 nights) = $108

Your $500 savings becomes $194.

I know hubby & I are trying POP this time, but we *loved* CSR when our family was there in September. And yes, it is very peaceful! I was surprised at how quiet and serene, even as close to Dig Site as we were. There is a small wading pool area for little ones by Dig Site as well.

Sept 14-23, 2010 - 9 nights CSR 1st family vacation (w/ free DDP)
DaniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyMouse22 View Post
Right now my sept/oct trip is booked for CSR with free dining. We were considering switching to a value to lower costs. We would upgrade the dining plan to the basic plan.

Which value is the best? It will be me,dh and ds (26 mo. @ travel time) would it be worth saving the 500 to switch to a value? I'm afraid they are too loud and chaotic. CSR seems so laid back and peacful. Is this assumption right? We will spend some time at the resort since we will be there 10 days 9 nights. any recommendations/tips would help me. I am so torn on what to do!! Tia!
The QS is a great deal at Peppermarket. Also, if you do 9 nights, that sounds like quite a bit of resort time. You'll lose the great pool, slide, and play area at CSR.

Personally, I would never trade down from CSR or any mod to value, especially a long stay.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
LovelyMouse22
Mouseketeer

Ok, I think I'm sold on csr. The savings are not enough. I didn't realize we lost a fridge! I will make it work.. thanks everyone!

February 2012 5 days @ Pop- First Trip
LovelyMouse22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
blondie_k21
Earning My Ears

Coming from someone that has stayed at every value except from Sports, you will not regret your decision. CSR is like a vacation in a vacation. It's relaxing, but the room size alone is enough to make me keep going back. The queen beds are wonderful and the vanity area comes with a little sliding door that closes for some privacy. Enjoy!

'98 - Offsite, '00 - DL/ASMu, '03 - ASMo, '08 - POP, '09 - CSR, '10 - CSR, '11 - OKW
December 2013 - POP

blondie_k21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

I think you really need to think this over, primarily because of your DDP upgrade charge. As DaniB pointed out, your savings is being eaten up quite a bit with that dining plan upcharge.

We have had to switch to a value a couple of times, most recently last October. We had free dining for that trip and switching to the QSDP saved us quite a bit. We also avoided all those gratuities. However, had I been really set on the full serve, I would have stayed put at the mod because the savings would have been cut by quite a bit.

The values are fine, you can actually find some peace and quiet and they all, Music and Pop in particular have pretty grounds (not like a mod) but they do have quite a bit to offer considering what you pay. I do agree that if you switch, ask to be away from the action. The main areas of values get crowded, esp the food courts at breakfast and for late dinners, the main pools staring in the late afternoon and any rooms near those main areas will feel the noise. By being a bit further out, you can really save yourself some aggravation!

But for me, the savings has to be more than $500 and way more than $198 to make it worth the downgrade.

I prefer the mods, but I will never be one to skip a trip to WDW to pay for that more expensive resort. I have had 10+ value stays, all of them great. I do have to say however, I am excited to stay mod again for our trip in June!@

Last edited by Amy&Dan; 02-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Just to give you some idea and to say that from my experience, the values are not always a mob scene, I'll post some pictures below of our most recent value stay. These are at All Star Music and I took these last October, all during a midday break. Even when we stay value, we spend 2-6 hours at the pool relaxing. I find the quiet pools at the values to be far and above the most quiet,and since the main pools do not have hot tubs or slides, you don't miss out on anything by avoiding them.

Pop and Music are my two personal favorites (have stayed at all of them), right now I only have Music pictures handy. As you can see, we found some peace and quiet midday at Music. Again, the grounds and pools are nothing like a mod and right now CSR rooms with the queen beds and upscale decor are very deluxe looking. But this gives you a bit of an idea of what a value has to offer:

This was what we saw each time we left our room in the Jazz Inn section:

Ariel statue at quiet pool:

This is a nice little shaded picnic area back near Country Fair:

The fountain area in front of Jazz Inn:

Some of the shots around the resort:

Last edited by Amy&Dan; 02-10-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: