Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
staceychev
Earning My Ears

I have Crocs that I wear around the house, and can never wear them during a heat wave. I can't imagine wearing them at Disney!

We just got back--DD wore sandals with velco straps, but she was also in a stroller often. DH wore sneakers/socks and was happy. I wore sneakers/socks one day and felt hotter that day than other days. The other days I wore Merrill flip flops that were much more awesome than I expected them to be.
Stacey, wife, mom and high school teacher. In addition to "growing up visits," did WDW in March 2008 with 80+ high school students, and in July 2010 with DH, DD1 (5) and DD2 (4 months). Next trip? Before DD1 turns 10 and I have to buy an adult ticket for her!
staceychev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
Malefi_Stitch
Mouseketeer

Hi, all! When I heard this thread discussed on the podcast, I really wanted to chime in. Unfortunately, my feet tend to be VERY picky when it comes to finding comfortable shoes. I have narrow feet with high arches and many shoes rub on me and don't give me the support I need.

Well, several years ago I found a pair of flip flops that I fell in love with. These are my "go to" shoes in the summer for EVERYTHING. They're Nike "Celso Girl" and I now have three pairs: black, brown and light blue. They're foamy with neoprene straps so they can get wet, but they dry super fast. No shoe in my life has been any where near as comfortable as these, not even my walking sneakers. DH and I ventured to the World the last week of June for 8 days (stayed at Pop). I wore these every day, all day and I didn't have one blister or red mark. To this day, DH is astonished that they don't hurt at all (he wears socks and walking sneakers and still gets blisters). To note, my skin is very sensitive and soft and they're still a dream!

I just wanted to share my find because I understand how difficult it can be to find the perfect shoes for WDW or anywhere that involved A LOT of walking.

HTH!!

2007 Vistana Villages (June) | 2008 Vistana Villages (June) | 2009 All-Star Sports (Jan) | 2009 All-Star Sports, Poly, GF (June) | 2009 All-Star Music (Dec) | 2010 All-Star Movies (Feb) | 2010 Pop Century (June) | 2011 Vistana Villages, AKL (July) | 2013 Pop Century (September) | 2014 Beach Club, BLT (June)
Malefi_Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefi_Stitch View Post
Hi, all! When I heard this thread discussed on the podcast, I really wanted to chime in. Unfortunately, my feet tend to be VERY picky when it comes to finding comfortable shoes. I have narrow feet with high arches and many shoes rub on me and don't give me the support I need.

Well, several years ago I found a pair of flip flops that I fell in love with. These are my "go to" shoes in the summer for EVERYTHING. They're Nike "Celso Girl" and I now have three pairs: black, brown and light blue. They're foamy with neoprene straps so they can get wet, but they dry super fast. No shoe in my life has been any where near as comfortable as these, not even my walking sneakers. DH and I ventured to the World the last week of June for 8 days (stayed at Pop). I wore these every day, all day and I didn't have one blister or red mark. To this day, DH is astonished that they don't hurt at all (he wears socks and walking sneakers and still gets blisters). To note, my skin is very sensitive and soft and they're still a dream!

I just wanted to share my find because I understand how difficult it can be to find the perfect shoes for WDW or anywhere that involved A LOT of walking.

HTH!!
Great review. I've been following this thread for awhile. Haven't listened to this week's podcast yet. Anyways, how are these on wet pavement? At home I wear my croc's (only in the house though) I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and of course where really good runners for that. I'm nervous to wear croc's on wet pavement 'cause I'm not the most graceful on slicker surfaces.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #19
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

From my experience I have to say that I think Croc type shoes or even sandals are a really bad idea for a long day in a hot park with a lot of walking. I think that it is important that you wear good quality athletic shoes when spending all day in the parks but more importantly is the right socks.

Cotton socks are not a good idea. Synthetic socks such as sports fabrics wick away moisture from the foot and you can use corn starch or baby powder on your feet before beginning the day.

Sandals, flip flops, etc. give no support and really don't protect the feet. A foot injury takes a long time to heal and could really ruin your vacation. How would you like to be wearing flip flops on a standing room only bus and someone one steps on your foot or that stroller catches your toe?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
Cuchman
Imaginary Imagineer

I recommend crocs with socks - and an extra pair of socks in a zip lock in your bag in case you are caught in the rain....ok, for WHEN you are caught in the rain! :-p

Take a moment to stop, breathe, and take it all in.

Cuchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
How would you like to be wearing flip flops on a standing room only bus and someone one steps on your foot or that stroller catches your toe?
Oooo good point. Especially since I have a half marathon the week after I get back.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
MandiB
Earning My Ears

I usually wear a lightweight pair of Nikes with socks, never get blisters!!
For my next trip I purchased Nike Free Runner, they are like water shoes with support!! I hope they will be good for the parks.
MandiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I arrived yesterday at the parks and will be here for two weeks and I will be wearing either my teva mush flip flops or my teva strap sandals each day in the parks. That is all I bring with me as those are both super comfy for a full day of walking in the parks and the strap type ones are best on days when it's really raining as the flip flops I find will flip flop right off my feet from the water. I've been doing teva's for the past 15 years and have never had any trouble or blisters since i've done so. As for people stepping on my toes or a being run over by a stroller, it's happened, but never so bad that I've been injured or even close to. But that is just my experience!
Me (37) DD (10) DD (5)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

My foot got hurt a few years ago by a scooter driver at Illuminations. Luckily, I was wearing shoes but Grandma weighed upwards of 350, I'm not sure how much the scooter weighed but it hurt pretty bad. My toes were purple and bruised for the rest of the trip. Had I been in flip flops? Oh man, I can just imagine. I might have been driving a scooter.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
Malefi_Stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
Great review. I've been following this thread for awhile. Haven't listened to this week's podcast yet. Anyways, how are these on wet pavement? At home I wear my croc's (only in the house though) I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and of course where really good runners for that. I'm nervous to wear croc's on wet pavement 'cause I'm not the most graceful on slicker surfaces.
Hi, Lorie. Thanks! I've never experienced my flip flops being slick on any wet surface while walking around the parks (I even bring them to the beach and water parks). If they're soaking wet on top or your feet are wet, your feet can slide around slightly in your flip flop but it's never caused me to trip or fall or twist my ankle. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm an absolute klutz.

I've never owned a pair of crocs (just not my style) so I can't speak about those regarding wet surfaces.

All I can say is that I have GOOD walking sneakers and socks specifically for walking (bought them both for the NYC AIDS walk several years ago). I wore them when we went in December (for MVMCP, etc.) since it was too cold to wear flip flops, and my feet were killing me before we even made it back to our room. I wore them for a less amount of time too since the sun sets sooner in the winter and DH and I tend to wind down sooner.

I guess it all depends on what you need to be comfortable. Thank goodness *knock on wood* I can honestly say that I've never had anyone trip, step or roll over my feet. I can only imagine how that puts a damper on anyone's trip, especially when WDW is primarily walking-related.

Definitely in June during the rain and humidity, I wouldn't be able to take socks and sneakers on my feet. I need to have them breathe in the FL sun and heat. (I'm weird. I refuse to wear socks in the summer haha.) To each their own, though, I suppose.

As long as you (and your feet) are happy, that's all that matters.

2007 Vistana Villages (June) | 2008 Vistana Villages (June) | 2009 All-Star Sports (Jan) | 2009 All-Star Sports, Poly, GF (June) | 2009 All-Star Music (Dec) | 2010 All-Star Movies (Feb) | 2010 Pop Century (June) | 2011 Vistana Villages, AKL (July) | 2013 Pop Century (September) | 2014 Beach Club, BLT (June)
Malefi_Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: