Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

OT: Is this a Rant?

So I have been shopping for Halloween costumes this year. I have got my boys all set. They are going to be Batman and Robin. We usually go to an Octoberfest thing, at which costumes, friviolity, and merriment are encouraged for all, but not required. It is extremely family-oriented.

I have been having the worst time finding a costume for myself this year. Everything is sexy this and sexy that. It is a Halloween party I am going to with my two babies. I don't need to look like a...can't think of a polite word to use. Can't costumes just be pretty and not sexy?

Is it just me? Does anyone else feel this way?
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

The first costume that jumped into my mind with you having Batman and Robin was Catwoman. Black blouse, black pants, black heels or boots, cute little cat ear headband and draw on some whiskers. You can make this costume as conservative or as sexy as you like.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

I know how you feel! It kinda bugs me seeing all these girls wearing outfits that are skimpy versions of characters. I like to create my own costumes! Something that covers me, but makes me feel awesome!

You should be a fairy! Wear a pretty blue dress, get wings and wand and be the Blue Fairy! Fairies are so pretty and elegant!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

In the words of my favorite comedian, Jim Gaffigan...
"Like you, I’m excited that we are entering the holiday season.
Granted, my favorite holiday will remain Halloween. And not just because of the candy or that women use Halloween as an excuse to dress up like p*ost**utes..."

Yes, the store bought costumes can be a bit over the top. Try buying something for a teenager. We find our best bet is to make the costumes. Catwoman sounds like a pretty good plan.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Duckyiam71
DIS Veteran

I was thinking the same thing as I was looking for an adult "Jesse" costume from TS3. I, like others have stated, am just going to do mine own thing.
Duckyiam71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
eyor44
DIS Veteran

Try Halloween Express. They have some (a few) decent costumes. Might be able to find something there.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

I know what you mean! My 12yo son just told me yesterday that the news said the #1 costume for girls this year is Lady Gaga.

OP, maybe try googling "family group costumes"? I know your kids are already set, but maybe you could get an idea for an adult costume. Or check out FamilyFun -- they have tons and tons of homemade costume ideas; maybe something could spark an idea for you.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I felt the same way last year...Even the teen costumes are sexy.My body simply can not pull off these costumes anymore, and I certainly wouldn't want to at our neighborhood family party
Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
diamondcharl
Mouseketeer

Sexy Freddy Kruger? Really

I actually saw a sexy Freddy Kruger costume.... you have got to be kidding me?
I always joke with my kids when we go shopping for costumes. This year I told them I was going to be a Sexy Gorilla

Taylor 14
Chris 13
Jordan 12
Brooke 5
diamondcharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess making my own costume will be the way to go this year. I like the idea of Catwoman. It would be cute with my boys. I also like the Blue Fairy idea. I have a blue bridesmaid gown that is actually very pretty and would look similar to the Blue Fairy's dress.
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

doesn't go with the boys

but my school has a party every year. I have done:
-black dress with hat to be a witch
-footy pjs with ponytails and paci around my neck to be a baby (big hit)
-old prom dress and tiara to be princess
-skirt and scarf to be gypsy
-overalls to be a farmer

Have fun!
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #12
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

I feel your pain. My 13 year old decided she didn't want to be a Disney character this year she wanted to be a lady vampire. My goodness the teen costumes are so trampy, and I had a hard time with the adult ones, too. No way I could let my just turned 13 year old walk around WDW @ MNSSHP looking like a hoochie!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess making my own costume will be the way to go this year. I like the idea of Catwoman. It would be cute with my boys. I also like the Blue Fairy idea. I have a blue bridesmaid gown that is actually very pretty and would look similar to the Blue Fairy's dress.
I'm glad you like my Blue Fairy idea! I'm sure you would look lovely as her and would look just as great as Catwoman! Be sure to post pictures! I would love to see what you choose!

I have no clue what I'm going to do for Halloween. I think I might do Belle in her regular outfit. I have a blue dress just like hers and it should be easy to find a similar shirt.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Taja
DIS Veteran

We used to have a "New Year's Eve Party" every Halloween at the company I owned for many years. Our fiscal year ended October 31st, so we had a family night on or near Halloween and encouraged all of the employees and their families to wear costumes!

I was an elegant witch for about half of the years! I wore a simple black formal gown, added a black evening cape, made a hat, wore heels and overdid the make-up--just a tad! At the time, I had fairly long red/blonde hair and would leave it down--everyone was accustomed to seeing it up or pulled back! *LOL*

I really don't recall what I wore the other years--I tended to alternate the witch costume. It was the easiest one!
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

One of my favorite go-to costumes is when I transform into Queen Bee. I bought the bee vest and antennae at WalMart, don a long black gown I picked up at the thrift store and add a crown and scepter. You could always switch it up and carry a dictionary and be a spelling bee.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: