Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Fantasyland expansion being scaled back?

I didn't see this mentioned here yet...

Jim Hill (yes, I know...but wait) has an article about the probability that the entire Fantasyland expansion being scaled back significantly - as in the only real change could be the Ariel ride!

Are Disney's plans for WDW's Fantasyland Forest now being revised?

I usually don't place a lot of credence in what he puts out, but this isn't the only place I've heard it - a poster on the theme parks boards posted a couple days ago about changes in the plans. I haven't seen much to make me believe that poster either (he could be Hill in disguise, or the same mole that feeds him...) but these are not word for word identical posts - there are differences that make it seem like they came from the same base. And Hill's article does make some valid points.

There also was a report that a permit was filed for something called a "Dumbo Fastpass Clock". If Dumbo is still moving to an area that they haven't even started clearing yet, why would the permit already be submitted?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I would be very surprised if this was true especially since I noticed a lot of construction going on last week at MK. They also had official signs and artist renderings of the various areas on the construction walls. They specifically advertised Belle's area, etc.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Disney's announced a lot of things that never happened, so it's nothing new...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

True, but to have the pics and detailed descriptions up in the spot it's going to be? I dunno.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Jim Hill could tell me my name, address, birthday, whatever, and I wouldn't believe him...
Previous Trips: DL and WDW numerous times on and off-site as a child, 1999 High School trip to WDW, played on stage at Cosmic Ray's and in DTD. 3/03 - 1 Day in MK, 10/03 - ASMovies, 1/07 - 7 nights POFQ, 9/08 - 6 nights AKL, 10/09 - 10 nights POP/AKL, 5/10 - 5 nights POFQ, 10/10 - 7 nights AKL, 11/11 - 5 nights DLR (HoJo)

Trip Reports: May 2010, October 2009, September 2008, January 2007

Dining Reviews:October 2010, May 2010, October 2009, September 2008

Quacktatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
BeamsofLight
One of the 'They' in 'They say it's going to rain'
I do have very comical memories of me flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Jim Hill (yes, I know...but wait)
I don't really have a comment on whether or not it's been scaled back (I would be inclined to doubt it, I guess), but I did have to say this phrasing made me snort out loud. Pretty loudly, in fact. So, kudos for that.
~ Yearly visits with my parents 81 - 89 (offsite) - Contemporary Dec 07 - CBR May 91, 92, 96, 97, 01 - Aug 98 - Sept 00, 03 - Dolphin Oct 08 - GF Jan 10 - POFQ Sept 02 - Oct 08, 10 - Dec 07, 10 - Polynesian Dec 04 - WL Jan 04 - June 04 ~
BeamsofLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quite the interesting article. I know you can't always believe Jim Hill, but I'd say he is right as often as he is wrong. Also, this article does make sense. Alot of people were grumbling about the Princess focus of the expansion. I was most excited about the Ariel ride and Be Our Guest restaurant and those two things, according to the article, are still a go, so that's good IMHO, but I won't be sorry if they don't do all the Princess meeting places, I thought those were a bit silly anyway. I'd trade them for a cool new ride in Frontierland...which makes me think, maybe something to do with Woody and Jessie? Or maybe not, but as long as it's not a Marvel Superhero ride, it'll be okay by me.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

His reasoning (leadership change and different endgames) makes some sense.

There's actually quite a history of the parks starting work on something and it never happening. The Beastly Kingdom section of Animal Kingdom is just one example. It was so far cemented into the development process that the outline of a dragon was put in all park logos. You can even still see it in some places (i.e. on the benches near the bus stops).

Another example can be found on the Little Mermaid DVD (a few years ago). There's a virtual mock-up of a ride-through attraction that was developed and even begun to be constructed before they scrapped plans.

Then you have Great River Mesa (the brainchild of Imagineer Marc Davis, I believe), the original portion of Frontierland MK that was supposed to be built with at least two attractions involved, but it was scaled back and eventually became Big Thunder Mountain and, years later, Splash Mountain.

Finally, over at Universal, they initial design for the big ticket ride that became Forbidden Journey was that you'd be in The Weasley's flying car. Rumor has it (and it's just rumor) that they even tested vehicles when they first acquired the Kuka technology.

It is odd that they put the huge murals up on the construction wall, but since these are easily removed, it's possible their thinking is that there won't be massive amounts of people that will know plans have changed (really, it'll just be hardcore fans like us).

- D

Last edited by DavidandLeahZ; 07-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
DavidandLeahZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

One thing from the article I wasn't sure about...the 20k building - at least looking at Google Earth, I don't see a building for them to retain the wall from...

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktatty View Post
Jim Hill could tell me my name, address, birthday, whatever, and I wouldn't believe him...
I've only been reading Jim's stuff for a year or two.... regarding what has he been horribly off?

- D

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidandLeahZ View Post
I've only been reading Jim's stuff for a year or two.... regarding what has he been horribly off?

- D
He's had a history (in my mind at least) of making "done deal" statements on what amounts to blue sky ideas that have a long way to go to actually happening. He's also ranted about changes to some things that had actually happened some time in the past...I remember him reporting/complaining that they stopped the free Santa pictures at MVMCP, a year or two after they actually stopped...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
He's had a history (in my mind at least) of making "done deal" statements on what amounts to blue sky ideas that have a long way to go to actually happening. He's also ranted about changes to some things that had actually happened some time in the past...I remember him reporting/complaining that they stopped the free Santa pictures at MVMCP, a year or two after they actually stopped...
Ahhhh....

Well - we won't know the validity of his claims for months, if not years, but his reasoning makes sense to me.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Didn't Jim Hill write a big article about the Nightly Kingdom coming to Disney? I remember reading it and it had alot of detail and seemed like a sure thing.

One thing about the article....he talks about people waiting in line to get in the HP shops, but that is partly because the shops are so SMALL, I doubt Disney is going to start building tiny shops so they can have lines!

The merchandise at HP is new. People are excited to be able to buy some fun HP stuff as there isn't much out there in the regular market now. That will die down.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
I have to disagree. I've never met Jim but I have a lot of respect for his blog and he puts himself out there in ways most other Disney bloggers don't. He's made a lot of predictions that have come to pass and he's extremely knowledgeable about Disney from both a fan and business perspective. He reports what he hears - sometimes it turns out to happen, sometimes it doesn't - but like I said, he at least puts himself out there and being someone that does a show every week, I have a great deal of respect for that.

Pete
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Didn't Jim Hill write a big article about the Nightly Kingdom coming to Disney? I remember reading it and it had alot of detail and seemed like a sure thing.
That was Jim Hill, but from other things I read at the time (and a few since), that was definitely in the works until economic projections started taking a turn for the worse and the powers-that-be realized there might not be a market for such an expensive "niche" park.

In my opinion, just because he reported it and Disney canceled it doesn't make it any less truthful that it was being planned. He can't help if Disney changes their minds. It'd be like a family planning a trip to WDW, and then having to cancel (due to money or illness) to which their friends would say, "see, you were wrong...you were never going to go in the first place."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: