Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #46
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecomingObsessed View Post
I love that picture of you and your mom in the yellow teacup. I think it's SO sweet! I hope my girls will grow up to love Disneyland and remember our fun times there together

Your calendar is great! Honestly, I thought you had meant to cut Walt's head off on the cover. Like it was more of an artistic shot meant to mainly showcase the castle. As soon as I saw it, my first thought was seriously "Oh, that's a great angle!" I was surprised to read it was a mistake! Where did you order it from? I have a lot to learn about Disney!
Thanks! It's one my favorites, mainly because, I think I might have mentioned this before but I STILL try and get a yellow teacup. It's tradition at this point. I bet your daughters will have good memories of Disneyland, I think it's hard not to! Do you mind if I ask how old they are?

I ordered it from the Disney PhotoPass website (www.disneyphotopass.com). There are three different calendar themes (Mickey & Friends, Vintage, and Trendy [I chose the Trendy theme]) and you can use your PhotoPass photos, as well as upload your own photos to use. There are also other gift items you can make, like mugs, mouse pads, magnets, etc.
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #47
magichusky
Mouseketeer

Cool Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
What a fabulous collection of fireworks pics! The one quoted above is my very favorite. I'm also loving your TR so far and can't wait for more updates! I also really like the GC photos and Storybook Cafe descriptions. Since I live so close by, I've never stayed at any of the Disney hotels or eaten at any of the nice restaurants. I may have to try the Storybook at some point!

-Lauren
-In Progress- "I Don't Cruise… I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
magichusky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #48
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
What a fabulous collection of fireworks pics! The one quoted above is my very favorite. I'm also loving your TR so far and can't wait for more updates! I also really like the GC photos and Storybook Cafe descriptions. Since I live so close by, I've never stayed at any of the Disney hotels or eaten at any of the nice restaurants. I may have to try the Storybook at some point!

-Lauren
Thank you! I'm glad to have you reading. You should seriously try Storyteller's. I know I probably sound like I'm raving about it at this point, but it was really good! Hopefully I haven't overhyped it at this point...
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #49
BecomingObsessed
I'd rather be in Fantasyland.

You did mention your love of the yellow teacup (and the yellow Dumbo!). I think it's terribly sweet that they hold such a sentimental place in your heart! My girls are little - 3 years and 18 months right now. They both had their first trip last September The first of what I hope to be many! I was never a Disney fanatic when I was little, but it's never too late to change my ways, right?? We are headed back this year in December. My youngest was REALLY little last year, so I'm excited to see her reaction to the rides and characters this time around.

We will definitely be making a calendar upon our return!! Thank you so much for the info on how to get one. I appreciate you taking time to educate me on the ways of the 'Land
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #50
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You did mention your love of the yellow teacup (and the yellow Dumbo!). I think it's terribly sweet that they hold such a sentimental place in your heart! My girls are little - 3 years and 18 months right now. They both had their first trip last September The first of what I hope to be many! I was never a Disney fanatic when I was little, but it's never too late to change my ways, right?? We are headed back this year in December. My youngest was REALLY little last year, so I'm excited to see her reaction to the rides and characters this time around.

We will definitely be making a calendar upon our return!! Thank you so much for the info on how to get one. I appreciate you taking time to educate me on the ways of the 'Land
So I did mention that... I have such a terrible memory. Aw, that's a fun age to take them to Disneyland! And you're right, it's never to late to become a Disney fan. That's awesome that you're going in December! It's so pretty around the holidays. Do you think you'll do a PTR or a TR?

No problem. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask. I don't know everything, but I'll help if I can.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #51
Eight
Mouseketeer

I am sorry to report that I won't have another update until next week at the earliest. Which I feel kind of bad about, because when I started this thing, I had planned on trying to update every few days. Obviously, that didn't happen.

But I'm excited because the reason I won't be able to update is that I'm taking a very, very, very spur of the moment trip to NYC tomorrow! I'm very grateful for the opportunity. My dad and I are going, and I plan on seeing American Idiot, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, and Promises, Promises. Also plan on going to the Broadway Flea Market, provided it doesn't rain, so I'm crossing my fingers for sunny weather!

I might bring my laptop, so I might be able to reply to threads and stuff, but no updates.

Take care, and I'll see you all soon!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #52
BecomingObsessed

Your NY adventure sounds like a lot of fun! I know you'll have a great time and I look forward to reading the rest of your trip when you have time for it

I don't think I'll do a PTR. With little ones, you go with the flow! I know we'll use Ridemax to try and cut down wait times (little girls = little patience!) and we will have lunch at Ariel's Grotto so we can meet the princesses. Everything else is up in the air! I will come home with eleventybajillion photos and lots of rambling though, I'm sure
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #53
Eight
Mouseketeer

I have returned. Actually, I returned about a week ago, but I've been busy with job interviews and going over to eastern Washington and umm... other stuff. Really busy with that other stuff. Nah, I've just been lazy. Can you believe it's been a month since I got home, and I've only finished the first day? Kind of sad... I'm a slow writer. But I'm working on an update right now, so that will hopefully be up today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Your NY adventure sounds like a lot of fun! I know you'll have a great time and I look forward to reading the rest of your trip when you have time for it

I don't think I'll do a PTR. With little ones, you go with the flow! I know we'll use Ridemax to try and cut down wait times (little girls = little patience!) and we will have lunch at Ariel's Grotto so we can meet the princesses. Everything else is up in the air! I will come home with eleventybajillion photos and lots of rambling though, I'm sure
Oh man, I had a great time. It was super fun!

I've never been to Ariel's Grotto, but it sounds like it would be great for two little girls. I'll be on the look out though, for your elevetybajillion photos (wonder how many memory cards you'll need..? ) and ramblings when you get back.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #54
Eight
Mouseketeer

I must admit that I'm starting to lose the little details of the trip. I guess that's what happens when you take shoddy notes and then take a month to write just the first day. Oh well. We'll just have to make do with what we have.

The next day, we had to wake up early at 7:45 for our breakfast at PCH Grill. That may not seem early to some of you out there, but it's early for me, seeing as at the time, I was not in school nor did I have a job. So I was used to waking up at 9 or 10 at the earliest. But hey, it's Disneyland. Got to make the most of your time there, even if it means getting up when you'd really rather be sleeping.

This is kind of pathetic, I actually had to look back at my PTR to see what time our reservation was. See what I mean about shoddy note taking? It was at 9. Oh, my memory is going...

Anyway.

We got there, and guess what. There was hardly anyone there. Anyone here surprised? No? Good. It was seriously a third full, maybe, maybe almost half full. Pretty darn empty.

I took a picture with Mickey in his lifeguard gear, which I love. Should probably mention now that I loved the theming of the restaurant in general. I had just been to Maui the week before, and had gone surfing, so I was all in to whole surfing theme of the restaurant. Very fun.

All I really remember about the food was that I had some chocolate banana french toast, and it was amazing. And I think I had an omelette too, but it couldn't compete with the chocolate banana french toast, because really, eggs versus chocolate and bananas and buttery bread? Yeah, there's no contest.

Of course, I had to take some breaks to pose with the characters.

One of my favorite moments was when we asked Goofy where Max was, and he pantomimed someone playing a video game controller. "Ah, video games?" Goofy nodded and shrugged. What can you do about kids and those video games?

Overall, I really enjoyed this meal. The characters were great, and the food was pretty good as well.

I believe this was in the hotel lobby.

And I believe this was in a cafe area or some food area or something? See, my memory is really going..

After that, we went back to the room to change shoes. Or at least that's what I wrote. I have no clue what shoes I was wearing at breakfast that I needed to change, because I'm pretty certain I only brought one pair of shoes, but hey, I'll go with it.

Headed down to D-Street, yes, again, because I wanted to trade, but they weren't doing any trading then. But I ended up buying some Vinylmation anyway.

Went back to the room yet again, and I'm honestly not sure why. I think I was dropping stuff off, but man, this feels really repetitive, doesn't it?

Moving on.

Oh, wait, it gets even more repetitive. We went to DCA, and guess which store I made a beeline to?

Guess.

Come on.

Off the Page.

Of course, where else would I be going? It was only like my third time there...

I ran in to an old friend, as you can see.

Then it was time to pick up our World of Color picnic meals. We actually arrived about 15 minutes early, so I walked over the viewing area to scope things out.

I was so charmed by the bags our meals came in, I had to take a picture. Aren't they amazing? But then, I love anything bright and colorful...

Alright, you'll never believe what we did next. This is going to be a shocker.

We

went

back

to

the

room.

Again.

Seriously? I'm looking back at this and wondering what in the world we were doing. I know this time it was because we wanted to drop our meals off in the fridge so we could eat them later, but man, really? This is getting way too predictable. I have to stop. (okay, I'm really just stopping because I'm tired and lazy, but let's pretend it's because I'm getting tired of writing the same thing over and over. I swear, I'm never going to finish this at this rate...)

Coming up next: More adventures in California Adventure.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #55
BecomingObsessed

Miss Eight, can you talk to me about vinylmation? I don't understand it, really. Does it stem from a cartoon or is it just another marketing ploy by Disney to get folks to spend money? The little figures are CUTE,CUTE, CUTE, don't get me wrong! I'm just wondering about the origin and if you know why they came about. How many figures do you have? Who do you trade with when you're in the park? I want to find a little keychain or a figurine to put on my computer at work. Which store carries the biggest variety?

I'm happy you made it home safely! You sure travel a lot! I'm mildly (more than mildly) jealous of all your fun adventures!

Also, can you give a review on your WOC picnic? I'm torn on ordering one.. I can't decide if I should drag the gorillas to see the show or not. I do NOT want to have to go stand in line an hour ahead of time even with the fastpass. My little on is super feisty. She'll bite someone (read: ME! Good thing she's cute! )
Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #56
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Miss Eight, can you talk to me about vinylmation? I don't understand it, really. Does it stem from a cartoon or is it just another marketing ploy by Disney to get folks to spend money? The little figures are CUTE,CUTE, CUTE, don't get me wrong! I'm just wondering about the origin and if you know why they came about. How many figures do you have? Who do you trade with when you're in the park? I want to find a little keychain or a figurine to put on my computer at work. Which store carries the biggest variety?

I'm happy you made it home safely! You sure travel a lot! I'm mildly (more than mildly) jealous of all your fun adventures!

Also, can you give a review on your WOC picnic? I'm torn on ordering one.. I can't decide if I should drag the gorillas to see the show or not. I do NOT want to have to go stand in line an hour ahead of time even with the fastpass. My little on is super feisty. She'll bite someone (read: ME! Good thing she's cute! )
Alright, Vinylmation 101.

So, to answer your first question, I guess you could consider it a very clever marketing ploy to get more money, but I think it goes beyond that. Have you ever heard of the term Designer Toys? I believe the term originated in the 90s, not totally sure about that, but generally Designer Toys are collectable figures (though there's also Designer Plush) that have been designed by artists. One example of a popular Designer Toy is the Dunny by Kid Robot. I used to collect those and that's what got me in to Vinylmation, as they're very similar. Vinyl is a very popular materiel used in Designer Toys, so the name Vinylmation comes from a combination of the words vinyl and animation.

Vinylmation was introduced in late 2008, though I first saw them when I went to Disney World in February 2009. Park #1 was the first series created, and it featured 12 different Vinylmations. Now there are a ton of different series, including Toy Story, Muppets, Urban, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.

Each series consists of 12 different designs, with one of those designs being called a chaser. A case of Vinylmation contains 24 different boxes, and each cases holds two of each design, except for the chaser which there is only one of and three of one regular design to round out the 24. I have the worst luck with chasers, I've bought more blind boxes than I care to admit, and I've only ever pulled one chaser.

There are two different types of series, blind boxed and window boxed. A blind box means that you don't know which Vinylmation you're getting. The Vinylmation is a foil bag inside the box, so you can't peek or anything (All the Park and Urban series are blind boxed, along with others like the Muppets and Toy Story). A window box means you can see which one you're getting. (Like the Animal Kingdom ones I posted in episode 5). Once you've opened a blind box, you can't return it at all. Window box series don't have chasers since you know what you're getting. I personally like buying blind box because I think it's fun that you don't know what you're going to get, but it's not great if there is one you're really looking for.

There also a couple different ways to trade. Several stores (I can think of Greetings from California, Off the Page, the store at the exit of Tower of Terror, and the pin Shop in Frontierland off the top of my head) have clear display cases that contain three 3" Vinylmation figures, and all you have to do is tell someone who is working that you'd like to trade. Some stores (the Tower of Terror store, Off the Page, the Frontierland pin shop at certain times, and D-Street) also have these big cases of 24 Vinylmation figures, but you can't see what you're getting. You have to pick a number, and you trade for whatever Vinylmation was in the spot you chose. I think the general rule for both is that you can only do that once a day at each store (but if you go and there's different people working..).

As for keychains, they are Vinylmation Jr. You can see the one I got next to the Dr. Bunsen Vinylmation as a comparison of how much smaller they are (Vinylmation are 3", though there are also 9" ones. They're window boxed and usually come associated with a 3" series though not always). There are two different Vinylmation Jr. series, one with random designs and one with Disney character designs. The one I posted a picture of is the Minnie one from Vinylmation Jr. #2 (the one with Disney character designs).

As for biggest selection, I would go to D-Street in Downtown Disney. Generally they have the most.

And I think that covers a lot of it, though not everything. That ended up being pretty long, but I hope it covers your questions. And if something I said doesn't make sense or raises more questions, feel free to ask. I love talking about Vinylmation (as you can see from the near essay I just posted), so I don't mind at all. A good website to see all of the series is Vinylmation.net, so you have an idea of what's out there.

I've been pretty lucky to travel a lot lately. I love traveling, and I'm so grateful for the opportunities I've had lately.

I'll send you a PM, alright? I have a lot of opinions on the whole WOC thing, and how to see it, but I don't want to post all of it on this thread quite yet since I haven't gotten to that part of TR yet. I'm kind of particular that way...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #57
Eight
Mouseketeer

So, okay. I'm back. I will make no excuses for not writing, I just didn't write.

But you're all excited to see that I'm back, right? Right?

I suspect that these next updates may be even more lacking in detail, but that might be a good thing considering how long it normally takes to write an update solely because I'm trying to cram in all the little details. We'll see what happens.

Now where did I last leave off?

Ah, yes, the room. We went back to the room, for what, the third time? I don't even know. We dropped our World of Color picnics off in the room, and headed back to California Adventure.

One of the security guys recognized me. "Hey, you're back!" Yes, I am back. Again. Because this was the day we took full advantage of having a room nearby.

We took our first Photopass picture on the bridge to Paradise Pier. While my mom knows I'm writing this, and has no problems with that, I'm not entirely sure how she feels about me posting pictures of her. So as much as I'd like to include photos with her, I think I'll have to skip that until I talk to her about it. But you now all know what I look like, and I think you know what the bridge to Paradise Pier looks like, so picture me standing with my mom (I guess you'll just have to make up what she looks like) in front of California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel, and you'll get the idea.

We then stopped so I could get a picture with Mickey in front of this World of Color sign.

Our first ride of the day was going to be California Screamin', but alas, it was down. As was Toy Story Mania, since it was being refurbed. I'll admit we had to take the following picture more than once to get my sad face just right.

And then we took these because as you've probably noticed by now, I love photo opps. And being silly. And jumping photos are always fun.

Since we couldn't play fake midway games, we decided the next best thing would be to play real midway games.

We first played the game where you squirt the water at a target.

My mom won.

Next was the game where you roll the balls into little holes to make your horse race.

My mom won again.

But I was close! Really.

As I could not take the agony of defeat any longer (or maybe it was because those are the only two midway games we like), we walked over to see if Screamin' (what is with these ride names with apostrophes? Soarin'? Screamin'? Whose idea was this?) was open. It was! It had just opened up, so we able to get straight to the stair part of the queue.

I've been on some of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world, but I do still love Screamin'. It's so smooth, and I love the acceleration at the beginning. It's a great coaster.

We couldn't really think of anything else we had an extreme desire to do at California Adventure, so we walked over to Disneyland.

But not before taking full advantage of the Photopass photographer at the entrance of California Adventure!

And the giant letters.

I have a photo just like this that I took when I went in June 2009.

See? I wasn't intentionally trying to recreate that photo, I just only have so many cheesy poses that I do, and I recycle them. I'm cool.

Also, because I'm obsessed with pointing out how uncrowded it is, notice the difference in how many people there are behind me in the June 2009 photo and the September 2010 photo.

Oooh, more photos of emptiness. These were taken around noon.

As you might have been able to guess, our first order of business was to take more pictures.

And then with Pinocchio and Geppetto.

While I was waiting in line for that photo, my mom wen to City Hall to ask if Peter Pan would be out at all today. You see, I've never seen Peter Pan at Disneyland, only at Disney World. Unfortunately, my mom was informed that he was in Neverland today fighting pirates. Man, how many pirates can there be in Neverland?

One of Main Street cars pulled up right in front of us, so we decided that we were much too lazy to walk up Main Street, and instead would take a ride.

Sadly, I did not get a photo of the car.

I had to stop for an obligatory shot in front of the castle. Hey, I hadn't taken one this trip.

And I made a few other Photopass stops, but I'll spare you those.

I was getting hungry by this point, so our next destination was the Golden Horseshoe.

I was just done eating when something caught my eye in New Orleans Square that I had to run over and see.

Any guesses of what that might be?

Last edited by Eight; 11-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #58
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR, and Love it.

Now I just have to remember what I wanted to comment on .... Hmmmm?!?!

1. I absolutely LOVE Disney Music as well. One of my all time favorite cd's is Disney's Instrumental Impressions. I also remember listening to The Lulluby CD every night over and over and over when my daughter was a baby. I was married at WDW so of course most of my songs were all Disney related.

2. I agree that Muppet Vison needs a HUGE update. I remember 15 years ago thinking it was the coolest thing ever, but now it's just "okay" at best.

3. I loved the breakfast at PPH. When we went we practically had the whole restaurant to ourselves. The interaction with the characters was pretty priceless. We didn't get to see Mickey or Daisy though. Guess we'll have to made another visit on our trip in June.

4. So glad that California Screamin' opened for ya. I would have cried if both that and TSM were down.

5. The crowds are amazing..... You're so lucky.

Look forward to more.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #59
magichusky
Mouseketeer

Talking

Excellent- you've returned w/ an update! That's super awesome that you went to NYC- I've never been there and am extremely curious. I also thought that pic of you in midair inside the Toy Story box was really quite radical! I would never be able to assume such a position, even for an instant!
-In Progress- "I Don't Cruise… I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
magichusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #60
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
Just found your TR, and Love it.

Now I just have to remember what I wanted to comment on .... Hmmmm?!?!

1. I absolutely LOVE Disney Music as well. One of my all time favorite cd's is Disney's Instrumental Impressions. I also remember listening to The Lulluby CD every night over and over and over when my daughter was a baby. I was married at WDW so of course most of my songs were all Disney related.

2. I agree that Muppet Vison needs a HUGE update. I remember 15 years ago thinking it was the coolest thing ever, but now it's just "okay" at best.

3. I loved the breakfast at PPH. When we went we practically had the whole restaurant to ourselves. The interaction with the characters was pretty priceless. We didn't get to see Mickey or Daisy though. Guess we'll have to made another visit on our trip in June.

4. So glad that California Screamin' opened for ya. I would have cried if both that and TSM were down.

5. The crowds are amazing..... You're so lucky.

Look forward to more.
I've never heard of Disney Instrumental Impressions, but I do have one that's called Just the Music that's pretty good. You got married at WDW? That's awesome! I always say if I ever get married, it's probably going to be at Disneyland or Disney World.
You didn't get to see Mickey at the breakfast? That's disappointing.
But now I'm craving some of that chocolate banana french toast...
We were really lucky with crowds. I know I keep bringing it up, but it's because my mom and I talked about it so much.
"Can you believe there's no crowds?"
"No. Take another picture because this is crazy."
We probably had that conversation about 20 times in three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
Excellent- you've returned w/ an update! That's super awesome that you went to NYC- I've never been there and am extremely curious. I also thought that pic of you in midair inside the Toy Story box was really quite radical! I would never be able to assume such a position, even for an instant!
NYC is probably one of my favorite places in the world. I love going there. You should go if you get the chance, it's great.
Do you mean to tell me you never try jumping pictures? They're so much fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: