Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Eight
Mouseketeer

Club 33 (No, Not that Club 33)-A Trip Report -1/21 Bonus! (Club 34)

Confession: I kind of wanted to leave the title at just "Club 33" and see how many people would come read the first post only to be sorely disappointed to find out that I was not really going to Club 33, but I decided that false titles were probably not the best way to introduce myself to the DIS.

Anyway.

Right now, I like to imagine you're wondering, "Club 33? If it's not THE Club 33, then what is this Eight person talking about?"

Well, obviously it's the club for people who are getting ready for their 33rd visit to Disneyland.

Confession: I just made this Club 33 up about five minutes ago.

Yes, I've gone 32 times before this, and I'm still as excited as ever to be planning a trip. And I should probably mention that by planning, I mean that I've been thinking about going a lot.

Confession: As of today, I have absolutely nothing booked or actually planned.

But all that's about to change! At least I hope it is. This is kind of the whole reason for starting a PTR. I like to think that if I start writing my plans down, I'll be more motivated to actually follow up on them, thus I'll actually get a trip planned. Ingenious, right? I think so.

Right now, I like to imagine you're wondering, "Who is this Eight person anyway?"

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is not actually Eight, as you may have guessed, but Rachel, and I'm 21, and maybe, kind of, sort of, just a little bit obsessed with Disneyland. I mean, it's not like I've been there 32 times or anything.
Oh wait.

Confession: I have, on more than one occasion, said that my AP was the greatest thing I ever owned. (alas, it expired in June.. )

Right now, I like to imagine you're wondering, "So why is this Eight person, er, this Rachel, taking a 33rd trip to Disneyland anyway? Isn't 32 times enough?"

(although actually, you're probably not wondering that as I suspect if you're here on the DIS, you understand that 32 times, while definitely a decent amount, is not enough.)

But there is a reason I'm planning this trip.

And to make this all dramatic and such, that reason will just have to wait until I next update. But I'm leave you with one last confession.

Confession: The only reason I'm not revealing the reason yet is so that I actually have something to update about next time.

Links!

Pre-Trip Report

1/11 - You just read it
2/11 - The sort of anticlimactic reason I'm going
3/11 - A really small update with really big news
4/11 - The PLANS
5/11 - More introductions that are really just an excuse to post pictures
6/11 - Actual plans for actual food: Part 1
7/11 - Actual plans for actual food: Part 2
8/11 - Mini updates
9/11 - Old photos!
10/11 - Going to Disneyland!
11/11 - Back home

Trip Report

1 - Getting There
2 - The Hotel, the Room, and Wait, Where is Everyone?
3 - Still Can't Find Everyone
4 - Short Lines and Fireworks
5 - The Most Repetitive Post Ever
6 - More Adventures in California Adventure and More Photos of Me Than Necessary
7 - Part 1: Slightly Irrelevant Pictures of Tiana's Showboat Jubilee
7 - Part 2: Bootstrapper Groupies and Apparently I Really Like Alcohol
7 - Part 3: I May Have Committed a Disney Sin
8 - World of Anxiety
9 - In Which My Mom Scares a Small Child
10 - The Part Where Nothing Really Exciting Happens
11 - Magical and World of Color in One Night
12 - THE END

Bonus!

Club 34

Last edited by Eight; 01-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Got my attention.....hopefully you'll update before we leave Saturday....otherwise I will probably get a ways behind before we get back from Disneyland!!

I don't see anything wrong with 32 times.....I would be at that number if I could swing it!! I would live in Disneyland if I could!! We even tried to move our family down there but didn't have any luck with jobs....so maybe in the future we'll be able to do so....then we can go all the time!!

Here on the DIS....we all LVE Disney!!!!

Oh & WELCOME!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
Confession: The only reason I'm not revealing the reason yet is so that I actually have something to update about next time.
That intro cought my attention as well. No dates or anything yet?
Well, it can't be all that long since you have been 32 times!
SurfinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
sierranevada
DISDiva

Okay - I'll bite and subscribe!!!

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Ooohhh...this sounds good.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Eight
Mouseketeer

Woah, this is exciting, I have readers!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Got my attention.....hopefully you'll update before we leave Saturday....otherwise I will probably get a ways behind before we get back from Disneyland!!

I don't see anything wrong with 32 times.....I would be at that number if I could swing it!! I would live in Disneyland if I could!! We even tried to move our family down there but didn't have any luck with jobs....so maybe in the future we'll be able to do so....then we can go all the time!!

Here on the DIS....we all LVE Disney!!!!

Oh & WELCOME!!
You're going to Disneyland on Saturday? How exciting! I hope you have a great trip!

I lived in Los Angeles for a while, that's the only reason I'm at 32. I'd try to go at least once or twice a month, it was pretty great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTX View Post
That intro cought my attention as well. No dates or anything yet?
Well, it can't be all that long since you have been 32 times!
Nope, no dates. I know generally when I want to go (there's a two week period, and I want to go for about three days sometime within those two weeks), but I just really need to actually book something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada View Post
Okay - I'll bite and subscribe!!!

Thanks! And to my PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Ooohhh...this sounds good.
Glad to have you reading.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Eight
Mouseketeer

When I last left off, I made an attempt to be dramatic, and not yet reveal the reason for this trip. I suppose I've kept you in suspense long enough, so here it is, the big reason why I'm planning this trip.

World of Color.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I know, not that exciting.

You know, if you had asked me a few months ago whether or not I was excited for World of Color, I would probably would have said to you, "It's just a fountain show. I mean, really?"

My experience with fountain shows pretty much consists of seeing the fountain show outside of the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas that was synced to My Heart Will Go On. I don't want to say it was unimpressive, but a fountain show synced to My Heart Will Go On? I mean, really?

So only having that experience to go off of, I must admit that I was pretty unexcited for World of Color.

Until the promo pics started coming out.

I love anything bright and colorful. And guess what those promo pictures were? Oh yes, they were incredibly bright and colorful. I was enthralled. The idea that a fountain show could be more than jets of water swaying back and forth to My Heart Will Go On entered my head. Which was immediately followed by the thought that I needed to get myself to Disneyland as soon as possible.

Clearly, those promo pics did exactly what they were intended to do. Good job Disney Marketing!

I began trying to plan this trip in my head, but much to my dismay, I was pretty sure there was no way I could swing it.

However, one night, as I was talking to my mom about how much I wanted to go back to Disneyland to see World of Color, she brought up something I had totally forgotten about, something that would change everything.
(and by everything, I mean just this trip, but I have to make it sound exciting, you know? )

"You know, you still have an airline voucher for a flight, and you could use that to go to Disneyland."

Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Eight
Mouseketeer

I've got some big, exciting news.

And by big and exciting, I mean that this trip is booked! Yes!

I have dates, a room, an plane ticket, and a parkhopper pass. Pretty awesome, considering that a little over a week ago, this trip was still just an idea.

I'm away this weekend, so I don't have time to write up the details right now, but expect a bigger update when I get back. Like, where I'll be staying, who I'm going with, when I'm going, and most importantly, what sort of World of Color picnic meal I'm going to get. Exciting stuff, guys. Trust me.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Well a flight voucher that you forgot about can certainly be a boon! I'm going to DL for the first time only because my work is picking up my airfare as well as part of the lodging.

I'll stay tuned for the details.
SurfinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

:j umping2:

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTX View Post
Well a flight voucher that you forgot about can certainly be a boon! I'm going to DL for the first time only because my work is picking up my airfare as well as part of the lodging.

I'll stay tuned for the details.
Nice! Your first trip to Disneyland? That'll be exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksdreamwishes View Post
:j umping2:
That pretty much sums up my feelings for the past few days.

I'm working on finishing up an entry that has all the exciting details. Hopefully I'll have it up later today.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Eight
Mouseketeer

Confession: Despite the fact that I've been talking about this trip since June, I'm not really the one who planned this trip.

Yeah, it was my mom.

See, while I may talk incessantly about a trip, I'm never the one who actually books anything. It's all my mom. She's like my own personal travel agent.

She is also, as it turns out, going to be my travel partner on this trip. Originally, I really wanted to go with a friend, but after asking around, it seemed that everyone had either work or school or some other reason they couldn't go. I was disappointed, but I can't really complain. I travel well with my mom, and while she may not get excited about going to Disneyland like I do, she more or less understands how my love for it. Not to mention, she doesn't make fun of me if I get excited over seeing Stitch, or if I get teary eyed watching the fireworks, or if I know some little minute detail about a ride, or if I explain the historical significance of having the processional before Tiana's Showboat Jubilee.

Not that I would ever do any of those things, I'm just saying IF I did. You know. It's rhetorical.

Anyway.

It was actually her who started bugging me about getting this trip booked, not the other way around as you might think.

"If you really want to go to Disneyland, you need to plan it."

And by planning, she meant that I first really needed to decide what dates I wanted to go. Since, you know, you can't really book anything without those. And I while I had an idea of when I wanted to go, it was still sort of vague, like, "oh, I want to go sometime in August. Or maybe September. And during a week. Wait, I don't know.."

Despite my vagueness and my chronic indecisiveness, it was surprisingly easy to pick dates. Once my mom forced me to really think about when I wanted to go, it probably only took about two minutes to pick the dates.

Here's what I chose.

August 31 - September 3.

Since I had originally planned on staying off site within walking distance, I was then surprised when my mom suggest looking at the prices for the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. I was not about to argue. We put in the dates and waited for the page to load.

"Huh, that's not too bad."

"No, that's probably the price for just one night."

"Maybe you're right. Click on 'continue', and see if it gives the total price."

Another page loaded.

"Wait, you mean that first number was the total price? That's pretty good."

"At that price, let's stay the at the Grand Californian."

Wait, wait, what? Was my mom really suggesting the Grand Californian?

"Let's book it!" I was not about to let a good thing slip by.

"We're not booking anything today. I'm going to call AAA and see if they can get a better price."

Well, I tried.

Anyway, to condense the following few days into a sentence, multiple phone calls were made between my mom and AAA to get the best deal, but eventually we ended up booking the room online.

Yes, the room at the Grand Californian.

(I'm excited, as by the next time I update, I should have 10 posts, thus allowing pictures. Which is good, as I'm one of those people who likes pictures as large chunks of text can get a bit boring after a while. )
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Sounds great...can't wait to see some pics!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Eight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Sounds great...can't wait to see some pics!
This is my tenth post, so pictures will be coming soon! I'll probably go overboard and post a visual history of my trips to Disneyland or something..
Not really, but I'm really tempted to go find pictures from when I was a kid. Wonder where they are..
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Eight
Mouseketeer

Alright, I thought I'd try to do some better introductions.

(Okay, it's really just an excuse to flex my new power to post a few pictures.)

This is me.

Well, it's me about twenty years ago.

That's me on my first trip to Disneyland with my late aunt. I don't remember anything about the trip, but I like to think it started my love of Disneyland.

And since I posted a picture of me on my first trip, I think it's only appropriate to post a picture of me on my last trip, which was last May.

As you can see, I was pretty excited to see Captain EO for the first time. You can tell by the fact that I have jazz hands.
(for the record, I thought it was amazing. It was so ridiculous, ALIENS! MICHEAL JACKSON! SINGING! DANCING! RANDOM SEAT BOUNCING! How could I not love it?)

Let's see, you know I'm twentyone, that I love Disney, and what else can I tell you about myself that is sort of relevant, somewhat interesting, and not so long?

Um.

I guess I'm a pretty boring person. I like collecting Vinylmation (I'm hoping that Park Series 5 will be released by the time I go. I really want the Stitch one!), I'm a bit of a musical theatre geek (I love that they have songs from musicals on the Main Street music loop. Granted, I'm not quite as familiar with the older, classic musicals as I am with more contemporary ones, so I only recognize a few songs [although I know there's more] but I always point them out when I hear them), I was going to college, but now I'm taking a break (I was going to college in Los Angeles, which is the reason I was able to go to Disneyland so much the past year. Almost half of my 32 trips were taken in the past year.), and okay, this is getting long (I have a tendency to ramble if left unattended).

So, yes, that's me, more or less. I'm sure you'll get to know more about me as this PTR goes along, and once I do my actual trip report.

I don't know what to tell you about my mom. She knows I'm writing this, but I'm not sure she really wants to be included, other than being mentioned.

She's pretty awesome. Like I said, she's the whole reason this trip is really happening, and the reason most of my trips to anywhere have happened. She's not as big of a Disney fan as I am, but I know she enjoys herself, even if she claims she's been too many times.

And where is my dad in all this? He'll be at home taking care of our dog.

(Yes, I needed an excuse to post pictures of my dog. Her name is Dumott, and if you can tell me what musical that's from, I'll be impressed.)

Anyway, my dad is not really a Disney fan at all. He gets motion sick, so he won't go on most of the rides, and so I suspect most of his memories of Disneyland are of sitting outside, reading a book, waiting for my mom and I while we're on a ride. I have to give him credit though, when it turned out that none of my friends would be able to come, he volunteered to go with me.

"But you hate going on rides, and you'd just be waiting for me the whole time."

"I know, but I'd go anyway. Besides, wasn't it a show you wanted to see?"

So, yes, I have a pretty awesome dad too, even if he doesn't like Disney too much.

Alright, I think that just about covers introductions.

Coming up next: I actually made actual plans for food? This is not normal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: