Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Carol17
Mouseketeer

Better Late than Never: Our c-c-c-old January visit to The Boardwalk Inn:COMPLETE

Ok, I admit it, I am starting this trip report lateÖvery late! Having written a trip report for our stay at the Yacht Club last April, I had every intention of doing one for this trip as well. But, time got away from me, and well, I thought, oh never mind, itís too late now. However, after reviewing our pictures I realized that I really wanted to share some pics on the DisBoards! So, I have decided to give a somewhat abbreviated version of our trip. Less talk, more pictures!

So, if you are looking for lots of pictures of the Boardwalk Inn with Christmas decorations, youíve come to the right place. If you are looking for food pics, and pictures of the Club level offerings, as well as lots of pics in all the parks, you are also in the right place! If you are looking for lots of storytelling of all the craziness of keeping up with the kids at Disney World, you are in the wrong place. This will be a quick overview of our (two adults) chilly week at WDW with lots of pictures. I hope you enjoy it!

INTRODUCTIONS

If you care to learn a little bit about us, or would like to read our previous trip report, take a look here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2178485

Long story short, we are great friends that love Disney. We live in Ontario and have been to Disney several times, and enjoy trying out a different resort each visit. Having stayed at the Yacht Club last year, we decided to stick with an Epcot area resort. You canít beat being able to walk to Epcot and even walk or take a short boat ride over to DHS.

So, enough rambling, letís get down to business!

DAY 1-January 1 2010

Happy New Year! What a way to start the year! Our bags are packed, the cats are being taken care of, and we are ready to hit the road!

Happy to leave the snow behind for sunny Florida!

The roads were a little treacherous as we made our way to the Port Huron border crossing.

We finally made it to the border and had about a half hour wait.

Fortunately the drive went smoothly after crossing the border. However, I was in much need of coffee! Now, as most Canadians know, we live on Tim Hortonís coffee. Unfortunately, Americans donít. Apparently, America ďruns on DunkinĒ. So, fine Dunkin it is. So I kept my eyes peeled for signs for good old Dunkin Donuts. I searched, and I searched. Lots of McDonalds, but no Dunkin! I have no idea HOW America runs on Dunkin with so few of them around! Even the trusty GPS came up with very few. In my despair for the lack of coffee, I decided to go here instead:

Liquor Barn?! I have no idea why this place struck me as funny, but it just did. Itís so big! The name is funny to me too! Liquor Barn! So, I had to take two pictures of it!

I canít even remember where it was. Anyway, although the lack of a decent coffee did nearly drive me to drink, I did not go into the Liqour Barn.

So, after about 10 hours of driving,we finally made it to the hotel!

Good old La Quinta! I like that name almost as much as the Liquor Barn!

Having driven to WDW 4 times in the last two years, it has become a tradition to go to the Olive Garden on our first night! We used to have Olive Garden here in Ontario, but theyíve all disappeared! So we make a point of looking up Olive Garden locations close by the hotel we book on the first night. We found one!(unlike the darn Dunkin Donuts!)

Mmmmm, breadsticks!

Fortunately they were open on New Years Day. However, as usually, the place was packed and we had a long, cold wait shivering by the front door as we waited for a table. I usually sit there and ask myself, why are we doing this? Iím cold. Iím tired. But, after getting the glass of wine and my toasty warm soft breadsticks, I am happy we waited it out! And after all, itís a tradition!

So with a good day of driving(despite the lack of coffee) and a good meal, we are happy to hit the sack and do it all again tomorrow!

January 2, 2010

Well, I must have slept through this day, because I donít have a single note, picture or memory of this day besides looking for Dunkin Donuts. Tony tells me we made a stop at Eddie Bauer to buy a couple of sweaters and boy did we ever need them! Anyway, needless to say, this day went smoothly but we still didnít find a Dunkin. We stopped in Valdosta, Georgia for the night. We prefer to get to WDW early afternoon on the 3 day rather than late the second evening. Anyway, letís move this report along and get to the good stuff, shall we?

January 3, 2010

Today we hit the road at about 9 am. I had given up on my quest for finding a Dunkin Donuts. However, it finally appeared! A sign for Dunkin Donuts! Better late than never I suppose. So after more than two days of driving across the country(well, down the country actually), I finally got my Dunkin Donut! Too bad I had to wait til Florida to get it!

Tah Dah!

So with a stomach full of donuts and my required caffeine fix, I am ready for Disney!

Heading to the Boardwalk:

Up next: Checking inÖClub Level!
Yacht Club Trip Report 2009
January 2010-Birthday Trip-The Boardwalk Inn
Boardwalk Inn January 2010 Trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2512974

Last edited by Carol17; 07-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 3 continued…Part 2

We pulled up to the Boardwalk Inn and was immediately whisked away upstairs to the Club Level Check Inn area. Check in went smoothly and quickly and we were taken to our room. We were a little disappointed that we didn’t get the Boardwalk view we requested, but it was a nice room nonetheless!

This is a little note and treats left on the bed from the Innkeeper’s Club:

Here is the view from our room:

As it turns out, our room was right next to the club level lounge! How convenient!

Yummy tarts! I think I may have had a few more than my share. But hey, Tony didn’t have any, so I had his share!(By the way, just to be clear, this isn't a picture of MY plate of tarts. I'm not THAT greedy people!)

After having a snack at the lounge we decided to take a walk around and check out the decorations before they were taken down.

So many beautiful decorations! I am glad we were able to get in a few days of Christmas Disney style. Day by day, all the decorations were slowly disappearing.

Coming up next…more Boardwalk dťcor inside an out!

Last edited by Carol17; 07-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 3 2010...decor continued...Part 3

Here are a few more pictures of the Beautiful Boardwalk Inn...

Time to bundle up and head outside to explore the grounds!

So, did you notice anything about the pool and the Boardwalk? Not a single person in sight! Did I mention how cold it was that week? Very, very cold! Apparently we got there just in time to enjoy record breaking low temperatures for Florida. We have been to WDW 3 times in December/January. It has never been this cold, for this long, ever!
Coming up next....time for a late lunch at Beaches and Cream and an evening at Magic Kingdom.

Last edited by Carol17; 07-20-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
antnyh
Proud BLT Owner May 2010

Very nice photos! It looks like you were the only one there!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Carol17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnyh View Post
Very nice photos! It looks like you were the only one there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Better late than never!! I am so happy you started this TR....your pictures are gorgeous!! I am subbing

Hi Antnyn and Queenofallthings! Thanks for stopping by. I hope to have the next installment up tomorrow night, so stay tuned!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

I am so glad you decided to write your TR. It's always better late than never. I followed your Yacht club TR last year and I really enjoyed. to you for driving that far. I didn't realize you drove last year. That is one heck of a drive and I can't believe you had to wait until you got to florida for a Dunkins. You obviously did not come down the east coast or you would have seen them everywhere.

Anyhow - I love your pictures. The Boardwalk looks beautiful. Isn't it fun to try a new resort every visit?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Carol17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am so glad you decided to write your TR. It's always better late than never. I followed your Yacht club TR last year and I really enjoyed. to you for driving that far. I didn't realize you drove last year. That is one heck of a drive and I can't believe you had to wait until you got to florida for a Dunkins. You obviously did not come down the east coast or you would have seen them everywhere.

Anyhow - I love your pictures. The Boardwalk looks beautiful. Isn't it fun to try a new resort every visit?
Hi Mek! So glad you stopped by! I just found your most recent trip report and I'm trying to get caught up. Better late than never yet again! I am enjoying your report so far. Looking forward to reading more! As I mentioned, this report will be mostly pictures with a few comments thrown in here and there. Nonetheless, I hope people enjoy the pictures. We took a little Disney break in April and decided to try out the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Studios. It was a nice change. I was going to do a report on that trip as well. Who knows, maybe I'll get around to throwing something together for that trip as well!

Last edited by Carol17; 07-19-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 3, 2010...Beaches & Cream and Yacht/Beach Clubs...Part 4

We decided to head over to Beaches and Cream for a late lunch(or early dinner, however you want to look at it!) We were amazed at how abnormally quiet it was, perhaps due in large part to many people heading home that day, not to mention the freezing temperatures.

We were able to get a table right away at B&C. Tony had a cheeseburger and fries:

I wasn’t that hungry(too many tarts!) so I just had fries and a pink lemonade:

Tony always has room for dessert(but I helped a little too!) We had the Brownie a la Mode:

All in all it was a pretty good lunch for just under $25.00.

Next, we decided to go back to our old stomping grounds (from our last trip) and visit the Yacht and Beach Clubs.

Here I am outside of the Yacht Club, all bundled up but not nearly warm enough:

Tony also bundled up, at our “home”, The Yacht Club:

Who would have thought we would ever see this:

Yet another deserted pool area:

We went inside the Yacht Club to warm up a little and to see the Christmas decorations:

It was nice to see our beautiful Yacht Club all decked out for Christmas!

Up next: Magic Kingdom time!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 3, 2010…Part 5…Magic Kingdom

Wow, part 5! We sure packed a lot in on January 3rd, didn’t we!

We finally made it!

Ah! The castle! That’s what I’ve been waiting to see! Sparkling in all her glory!

Yet another tradition that we have developed is to go to Magic Kingdom on our first night at WDW. Staying late for Extra Magic hours at MK is probably one of my favourite things to do! So, we walked through Epcot and took the Monorail over to MK. As is our tradition, we head straight to Space Mountain and the Transit Authority. Although it is only our first day at WDW, it is also 2full days of driving, checking in and out of hotels, then finally dragging our luggage to our resort room and unpacking. So needless to say, we are a little tuckered out! So the Transit Authority makes us feeling that we are making good use of our time, getting something accomplished, but it’s easy and fun to do! There is never a line up, and it’s just a nice way to start our week at WDW.

Space Mountain was a 60 minute wait, so we decided to go back later. We hoped to see the Carousel of Progress as well (again, getting something accomplished, but nice and relaxing as well with no wait time) but it was closed.

Next we headed to Mickey’s(Donalds!)Philharmagic, with only a 10 minute wait time!

Things were still pretty busy with most rides having pretty long wait times. Both Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan had vey long line ups and a posted 50 minute wait! We decided to head over to Big Thunder Mountain to get fast passes, but luckily, a girl gave us her fastpasses and we were able to get on right away!(don’t you love it when that happens!)

It was almost time for the Spectro Light Parade, so I bought a water and a churo($5.75) and found a spot to watch the parade. Hmmm, can’t find a picture of my churo and water! Darn, I hate it when I forget to take a picture of something! I’m sure you are all dying to see my churo and water! LOL! Well, maybe next time!

So here are a few pics of the parade:

Hello Chip!(or is it Dale.I forgot the nose colour!)

Hello Pluto!

Yikes! Look out for what’s coming behind you little piggies!

Next…finishing up MK
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I have always wanted to try Beaches and Cream and never have....maybe one of our pool days this year we'll go over for lunch!

Great shots of the castle....I have never seen it in person with the lights, and can't imagine how gorgeous it is, because it's beautiful in pictures.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Minne's Friend
Earning My Ears

January 2010

We were in WDW the 2nd week in January 2010 - I agree it was so cold and we did not have enough warm clothes with us. The heat in the room was running day and night - I hope next year is a little warmer.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Carol17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minne's Friend View Post
We were in WDW the 2nd week in January 2010 - I agree it was so cold and we did not have enough warm clothes with us. The heat in the room was running day and night - I hope next year is a little warmer.
Yes, exactly! At least it wasn't rain though, right? LOL! Thanks for stopping in Minnie's Friend!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 3, 2010…part 5… calling it a day!

After the parade we went back to Space Mountain. It showed a 60 minute wait, but it was only about 25 minutes! Unfortunately Carousel of Progress was still closed and the Transit Authority was also shut down for the night. We headed back to Main Street to watch Wishes. I’ve seen it a few times, but it’s still, I don’t know, magical!

We were pretty tired out and ready to head home. We got one last picture of Main Street:

So pretty isn’t it?

Overall a great first Day!

January 4, 2010

Popped over to the lounge to see what was there for breakfast. Lots of tasty things like cinnamon rolls, danishes, cut fruit, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice etc.

I am not a big breakfast eater, but it was great to able to get a couple little rolls or danishes and a cup of(not that great) coffee in the lounge each morning. Very fast and convenient, not to mention very tasty!

We spent the morning continuing to explore the Boardwalk area. At about 2 o’clock we went to Hollywood Studios.

Man, was that place ever packed! Everyone seems to congregate in the Tower of Tower/Rock’n Roller Coaster area.

We walked around for a bit, dodging people mostly, then went to Sci-Fi for our 3:30 ADR.

Started off with the onion rings:

Tony had the burger(where’s the beef?)

I had the turkey club:

All in all, a pretty good lunch for $41.00.

After lunch we went on Star Tours and the Movie Ride had a relatively short wait of 30 minutes. We walked back to RNR, but the wait time was 70 minutes. Toy Story was 90 minutes. I was starting to think that we will never get on Toy Story. We just don’t have that much patience for waiting over an hour!

We also saw the stage show Beauty and the Beast. It was a great little show although it was chilly sitting on the cold bench seats.

Continued in the next post….
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Carol17
Mouseketeer

January 4, 2010 continued...

Before leaving we headed over to see the beautiful Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

It too was packed with lots of people all bundled up:

I bought a hot chocolate and enjoyed the show!

The line up for the boat back to the Boardwalk was veeeery long. So, we decided to walk. It was a very nice(though cold) walk along the path back home. We didnít see and boats pass us on the way, so needless to say, we beat the boat back home!

We got back just in time to get a bedtime snack in the lounge(tea and tarts!) then watched Illuminations from our balcony. A great way to end the evening.

Up NextÖ. My required sick day lands on my birthday

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: