Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Terrifying encounter with Florida Law Enforcement

We were leaving DTD last Thursday evening after a thoroughly enjoyable meal at Raglan Road and on our way to DHS to catch the 10:00PM Fantasmic show when we noticed flashing lights in the rear view mirror of our rental car.

My wife was driving and wasn't going that fast so we wondered why we were being pulled over.

What followed was a terrifying encounter with an extremely abusive police officer. Apparently we had driven through a stop sign in DTD. We had no recollection of doing this but according to him there were "hidden stop signs" at DTD and we had to be on the lookout for them. Funny, both my wife and I have been driving for almost 40 years each and neither of us had ever heard of a "hidden stop sign".

My wife apologized and said she hadn't seen the sign (no surprise since it was hidden). Neither of us argued at all but he continually berated her telling her she was going to kill someone. Eventually he let her go with just a warning but at that point we were both pretty shaken up. I had visions of a pistol whipping. In our years of driving we have both only had a couple of traffic tickets and always found the police to be very polite and professional. This guy was a realy piece of work. You can be sure we will be extra careful when driving at DTD in the future.

We can look back on it now and laugh (our 15yr old made a crack about a hidden stop sign on Test Track the next day), but I can tell you it was a pretty awful experience at the time.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
npcougar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ride View Post
We were leaving DTD last Thursday evening after a thoroughly enjoyable meal at Raglan Road and on our way to DHS to catch the 10:00PM Fantasmic show when we noticed flashing lights in the rear view mirror of our rental car.

My wife was driving and wasn't going that fast so we wondered why we were being pulled over.

What followed was a terrifying encounter with an extremely abusive police officer. Apparently we had driven through a stop sign in DTD. We had no recollection of doing this but according to him there were "hidden stop signs" at DTD and we had to be on the lookout for them. Funny, both my wife and I have been driving for almost 40 years each and neither of us had ever heard of a "hidden stop sign".

My wife apologized and said she hadn't seen the sign (no surprise since it was hidden). Neither of us argued at all but he continually berated her telling her she was going to kill someone. Eventually he let her go with just a warning but at that point we were both pretty shaken up. I had visions of a pistol whipping. In our years of driving we have both only had a couple of traffic tickets and always found the police to be very polite and professional. This guy was a realy piece of work. You can be sure we will be extra careful when driving at DTD in the future.

We can look back on it now and laugh (our 15yr old made a crack about a hidden stop sign on Test Track the next day), but I can tell you it was a pretty awful experience at the time.
Did you go back later to see if you could find the "mysterious" stop sign?
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcougar View Post
Did you go back later to see if you could find the "mysterious" stop sign?
No, I almost suggested it to my wife as we made one last stop at DTD for a breakfast at WPE but though it wouldn't go over too well with her.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

I hate that parking lot, its very cramped the parking lines are close together and not a lot of room for backing up, its also dark and confusing. Maybe they should make the signs glow in the dark so they stand out more. Sorry to hear about the over the top police officer. Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
jc040404
DIS Veteran

I would've gone back to find this sign! That's such a weird story. Was it supposedly in the parking lot? From talking to Disney security, the stop signs in the actual parking lot are on private property, so the cops really can't do anything there. We've had issues in a lot with people never stopping at a sign and were told the same by an actual police officer. It's up to the property to handle. Where did it happen? It's insane that you all were treated that way, too. Somebody in a bad mood just looking to take it out on a tourist maybe? It all seems oddly wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Wow... that was a cruddy experience. So sorry! What's up with a "hidden" stop sign anyway?? Are they not octagons and red?? Lame.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: