Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #151
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
Just found your trip trport and have been laughing at the antics of your traveling companion.

BTW Disneyland normally does let you in early and do a rope drop at the end of main st so there must have been something unusual going on the day you went.

Well that would explain some things. I just found it very underwhelming compared to how WDW Magic Kingdom does their openings.

Glad to have you aboard!
SurfinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #152
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Wow, it's hard to believe all of the stuff you'd already accomplished on that day and people are just arriving. You've gotta love that!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #153
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

A raspberry scone sounds delicious right about now! Glad you had a backup plan to your backup plan. I couldn't have lasted as long as you with no breakfast, I would have been a cranky mess.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #154
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Wow, it's hard to believe all of the stuff you'd already accomplished on that day and people are just arriving. You've gotta love that!
I was feeling pretty good at that moment. Nearly everything had worked out better than planned and I was exactly where I needed to be at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
A raspberry scone sounds delicious right about now! Glad you had a backup plan to your backup plan. I couldn't have lasted as long as you with no breakfast, I would have been a cranky mess.
The outdoor stand wasn't in the plan. Lol! I didn't see anything like that in the maps and FAQ threads on the boards at all. When I saw the big line at La Brea and then turned to the cart I was like .
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #155
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Part 5 - The DCA Marathon.

With coffee and pastry in hand I re-enter through bag check and then get in line at the Disney's California Adventure gate. With it approaching 9:15 a good sized crowd had built up so I was looking at a decent sized line in front of me. Sitting down I pull out my Toy Story Mania notes and enjoy my well earned goodies.

While doing this I couldn't help but overhear a man with his two twentysomething sons in front of me talking about their plans. After a minute or two I could tell they were really confused by how DCA does it's opening and how they were going to see World of Color. Well, you know me. Mr. Know-it-all to the rescue. I really did try to restrain myself but after they started talking about showing up right before WOC started I had to say something. This lead to about a ten minute conversation about what WOC is and how you can go see it.

He and his sons did seem really appreciative and it certainly helped pass the time. I could tell that others around me were listening in as well and I'm just sitting there telling all of these people how it's done never actually having done it myself! Thank you DisBoards! Still, I could have made a total **** of myself if anything were to go wrong. It had to be better than what they were planning, anyway.

Well, 9:30 rolls around and it's crunch time. The gates open and there is a fair sized crowd in front of me moving out to get WOC passes. Just like Friday morning I make a right turn in front of Baker's Field Bakery and pass Soarin'. Moving as fast as safely possible I make the trek with the hundreds of powerwalkers all the way around to Grizzly River Rapids' Fastpass machines. A line had formed already and several CMs were there to keep everything organized.

The line was long but moved pretty quickly and there is plenty of good scenery to see.

When you arrive at the front a CM will tell you which machine to go to and a sign is posted indicating which show and what color is currently being given out. Here is my WOC pass as well as my earlier BTMRR fastpass I snagged.

As you can see my pass is for the first showing at 9:00 p.m. in the Yellow Section. The show itself is held out in Paradise Bay and the viewing areas are located inside Paradise Park on the opposite side of where Mickey's Fun Wheel sits. The park is divided into color sections which have a set entry time to keep crowds manageable. Here is a map provided by Disneyland 1951 of the park area and the color coded areas.

All of this took about 15 minutes. Just enough time left for me to book on over to the alternate rope drop area before 10:00 a.m. Arriving I see a bit of a crowd but I'm just happy to have made it.

Rope drop time arrives and it's time for the second part of the marathon. Cruising over the bridge next to Ariel's Grotto I pass many kids who just can't match my powerwalking prowess.

If you couldn't guess by that picture I was heading to Toy Story Midway Mania and it looks like it's open this morning! Swinging into line with only a few dozen in front of me I quickly pick up my 3-D glasses and have only a brief wait to get on.

Two minutes later this was the line waiting to get in.

Just so you know, DCA does not have fastpasses for TSMM here. The lines may look huge but standby loading is about 40-50 minutes if the line is full. Nowhere near as long at DHS where we experienced a 100+ minute wait there.

It looks like I'll be riding with Mr. Potato Head today.

Me and my stylish glasses getting ready to go.

This was only the second time I had ever rode this and this time would be a solo experience. Trying to remember all of the little tricks I start plunking away at targets. How did I do?

Not too shabby for a beginner but I knew others had done much better. Still it was a big improvement from my attempt in Florida and now I had at least recognized what I should have been shooting at. Maybe tomorrow I'll do better.

Next Up: Single Rider Shuffle

Last edited by SurfinTX; 02-23-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #156
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe their shocked silence was from the fact that they realized they had come face-to-face with "the jinx"!

Quote:
Wow, I'm not sure where you're going, but you're making great time.
I've been on that road a few times myself......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTX View Post
IASW is really better than the WDW version by far. I just have an aversion to hearing that song a few dozen times in a row is all.
Repetitive lyrics lane...... I like that!!!

The outdoor start to IASW looks really cool, and I love that topiary of the bear!

I'm gonna have to look up this World of Color thing. Haven't heard about it but it looks really interesting! Looks like some great planning had you really making great time and getting so much done!

I can't believe so many people pour into the parks with huge crowds, and their first choice is to stand in a long line at the bakery on Main Street!!! I really doubt any of them have a chance of doing even half of what you already got done on this day, and I'm sure they will be back home complaining to everyone about long lines and not getting to do anything........ They are probably the same ones who look at the FP return times, shake their head and doom themselves by hopping in SB for a 90 minute wait because "5 hours from now" is ridiculous!!!

So glad the DISboards came through for you so you could sound like an expert in line when you hadn't ever done it yourself. I love those moments!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #157
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
The outdoor stand wasn't in the plan. Lol! I didn't see anything like that in the maps and FAQ threads on the boards at all. When I saw the big line at La Brea and then turned to the cart I was like .
It was Disney magic!

I'm so looking forward to your World of Color update! It sounds like an amazing show.

Why is it the like for TSM stays under an hour there in DCL? Is it just not as popular for some reason?
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #158
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was Disney magic!

I'm so looking forward to your World of Color update! It sounds like an amazing show.

Why is it the like for TSM stays under an hour there in DCL? Is it just not as popular for some reason?
It is super popular at DLR but really the only thing that gets over an hour in Stand-by is Space on a visit timed in off season. TSMM is the one ride that people complain about waiting in line the most as far as non FP rides. I have heard of the TSMM being well in excess of an hour during high season but nothing like the 200+ wait times I have heard you guys get at WDW.

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #159
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Finally got through this whole report after a few days... not bad for a WDW guy

Really enjoying your report, reminding me why I want to go back!

Great costume, good for you dressing up all by yourself.

I knew you were cool when you got my favourite breakfast by default, americano and raspberry scone, yum! But I would never be able to make it on so few hours of sleep.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #160
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
The outdoor start to IASW looks really cool, and I love that topiary of the bear!
The exterior and all of the landscaping are the highlights. The ride itself is just not my cup of tea.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to look up this World of Color thing. Haven't heard about it but it looks really interesting! Looks like some great planning had you really making great time and getting so much done!

I can't believe so many people pour into the parks with huge crowds, and their first choice is to stand in a long line at the bakery on Main Street!!! I really doubt any of them have a chance of doing even half of what you already got done on this day, and I'm sure they will be back home complaining to everyone about long lines and not getting to do anything........ They are probably the same ones who look at the FP return times, shake their head and doom themselves by hopping in SB for a 90 minute wait because "5 hours from now" is ridiculous!!!
You will have to wait for my World of Color portion. I have a big event that you will not want to miss.

Quote:
So glad the DISboards came through for you so you could sound like an expert in line when you hadn't ever done it yourself. I love those moments!

Quote:
It was Disney magic!

Pixie dust to the rescue! WOC just a few more installments away.

Quote:
Quote:
It is super popular at DLR but really the only thing that gets over an hour in Stand-by is Space on a visit timed in off season. TSMM is the one ride that people complain about waiting in line the most as far as non FP rides. I have heard of the TSMM being well in excess of an hour during high season but nothing like the 200+ wait times I have heard you guys get at WDW.
If you check the ride strategies forum you see this topic brought up a lot. During my June trip I noticed that WDW were letting in the FP line at about a 3 to 1 ratio to standby. That I think is why the WDW standby times can be so rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
Finally got through this whole report after a few days... not bad for a WDW guy

Really enjoying your report, reminding me why I want to go back!

Great costume, good for you dressing up all by yourself.

I knew you were cool when you got my favourite breakfast by default, americano and raspberry scone, yum! But I would never be able to make it on so few hours of sleep.
Hey! aboard Blabbermouth! Glad you think I did OK for a first timer. The Disney magic/Force/Karma/Luck was with me so far.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #161
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Well done with getting your FP and on to TSM! I know what you mean about listening to others around you discussing their strategy which you know won't work. I usually can't keep myself from saying something either... I always try to offer just the most vital information because I am afraid of being too intrusive. But most times people are very eager to know more and keep asking questions and are really glad to have someone who can offer some insight...

Quote:
If you check the ride strategies forum you see this topic brought up a lot. During my June trip I noticed that WDW were letting in the FP line at about a 3 to 1 ratio to standby. That I think is why the WDW standby times can be so rediculous.
Yes, FP really inflates wait times for many attractions. And it also depends on at what wait time people aren't willing to get in line any more. I think this might also be a difference between DCA and DHS. The DCA guests are made up much more of locals who are not willing to wait for ages to get on the ride because they know that they will be back soom. I am sure DHS has a much higher percentage of guests who think they won't be back for at least a few years, so they are much more willing to suffer very long waits.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #162
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The exterior and all of the landscaping are the highlights. The ride itself is just not my cup of tea.
Try the Tea Cups.....maybe you will like THOSE better!!!
Quote:
You will have to wait for my World of Color portion. I have a big event that you will not want to miss.
And the suspense builds...........

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #163
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, you know me. Mr. Know-it-all to the rescue. I really did try to restrain myself but after they started talking about showing up right before WOC started I had to say something.
I know the feeling.

Quote:
Still, I could have made a total **** of myself if anything were to go wrong.
I think you only needed 3 *'s to cover this.

Quote:
Two minutes later this was the line waiting to get in.

Ay carumba! Wow, you have still maintained your ability to stay just ahead of the crowds.

Looking forward to learning a little more about World of Color.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #164
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Yes, FP really inflates wait times for many attractions. And it also depends on at what wait time people aren't willing to get in line any more. I think this might also be a difference between DCA and DHS. The DCA guests are made up much more of locals who are not willing to wait for ages to get on the ride because they know that they will be back soom. I am sure DHS has a much higher percentage of guests who think they won't be back for at least a few years, so they are much more willing to suffer very long waits.
Ahhhh! Makes total sense! Thanks for the input/info everyone.

I've seen over 100 minutes for TSM in the off-season at WDW, but once you get inside the line is MUCH shorter. I think part of it is a trick to filter guests to over areas!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #165
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you only needed 3 *'s to cover this.
In this case I was using the British spelling of my backside.

Quote:
Ay carumba! Wow, you have still maintained your ability to stay just ahead of the crowds.
With how tired I was feeling any long line probably would have shut me down.

Quote:
Looking forward to learning a little more about World of Color.
Just a few updates away!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: